Is Jokic better than Lebron ever was ? Has he already peaked higher ? How long before he surpasses him all time?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,860

Re: Is Jokic better than Lebron ever was ? Has he already peaked higher ? How long before he surpasses him all time? 

Post#181 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:20 pm

tsherkin wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:Kinda just points out that you have to be on a dynasty to get multiple rings which is kinda the point. To get multiple titles is just freaking hard and lets not act like it generally requires those dynasties to be in right locations.

Right, what I'm saying is that it isn't really an informative thing. Yes, you need to be on a dynasty to get lots of rings. Or you need to fashion that dynasty wherever you go, which basically only Lebron has done. You know what I mean?

The point is much simpler. Jokic getting even a second ring is unlikely given the history of basketball. It's just freaking hard to do. You either get drafted to a team with multiple superstars or you force a trade to the lakers. Or you're lebron/curry (maybe duncan but Robinson then Manu/Parker).
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,664

Re: Is Jokic better than Lebron ever was ? Has he already peaked higher ? How long before he surpasses him all time? 

Post#182 » by tsherkin » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:25 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:The point is much simpler. Jokic getting even a second ring is unlikely given the history of basketball. It's just freaking hard to do. You either get drafted to a team with multiple superstars or you force a trade to the lakers. Or you're lebron/curry (maybe duncan but Robinson then Manu/Parker).

Sure. Title-winning, franchise-level players aren't common. And then you need appropriate team support and good luck in health and such. Timing is all. And you need not to run into your kryptonite or a dynasty you can't beat, etc, etc.

This is all baseline stuff. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just saying that it isn't really illustrating anything important.

In the context which you made the remark, we're talking about ranking Jokic top 5, right? 3 rings is a huge ask independent of that, sure, because it's so rare. But in the context of the ATG environment, huge asks are what the top 10 are made of. And increasingly, the top 20 as the decades roll by.
Kobe187
Starter
And1: 1,910

Post#183 » by Kobe187 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:36 pm

Peak Jokic > Peak LeBron

Jokic needs his 2nd Championship this year first though, then we can compare peak Jokic to peak Shaq (00-02) and peak Kobe (07-09).
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#184 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:10 pm

tsherkin wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:The point is much simpler. Jokic getting even a second ring is unlikely given the history of basketball. It's just freaking hard to do. You either get drafted to a team with multiple superstars or you force a trade to the lakers. Or you're lebron/curry (maybe duncan but Robinson then Manu/Parker).

Sure. Title-winning, franchise-level players aren't common. And then you need appropriate team support and good luck in health and such. Timing is all. And you need not to run into your kryptonite or a dynasty you can't beat, etc, etc.

This is all baseline stuff. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just saying that it isn't really illustrating anything important.

In the context which you made the remark, we're talking about ranking Jokic top 5, right? 3 rings is a huge ask independent of that, sure, because it's so rare. But in the context of the ATG environment, huge asks are what the top 10 are made of. And increasingly, the top 20 as the decades roll by.

I obviously reject that rings should be critical to any player analysis. It's a part of, but the context as I laid out is just absurdly luck driven. That said I also wouldn't reject one making a case that say MJ had a better career than Lebron but Lebron is a better player given a ring context for career and a personal skill/scouting analysis of Lebron (not that i agree on either). But that's getting more nuanced that I intended.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#185 » by tsherkin » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:12 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:I obviously reject that rings should be critical to any player analysis. It's a part of, but the context as I laid out is just absurdly luck driven. That said I also wouldn't reject one making a case that say MJ had a better career than Lebron but Lebron is a better player given a ring context for career and a personal skill/scouting analysis of Lebron (not that i agree on either). But that's getting more nuanced that I intended.

ATG stuff and independent player quality evaluations are never going to be the same. I think that's just sort of an accepted thing at this point. I don't disagree with you, but that's just sort of the way it is. I also don't know if I'd call Lebron a better player than MJ; peak to peak, they look pretty competitive. Longevity argument comes in, sure, that's something. But as you say, now we're into nuance.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#186 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:15 pm

tsherkin wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:I obviously reject that rings should be critical to any player analysis. It's a part of, but the context as I laid out is just absurdly luck driven. That said I also wouldn't reject one making a case that say MJ had a better career than Lebron but Lebron is a better player given a ring context for career and a personal skill/scouting analysis of Lebron (not that i agree on either). But that's getting more nuanced that I intended.

ATG stuff and independent player quality evaluations are never going to be the same. I think that's just sort of an accepted thing at this point. I don't disagree with you, but that's just sort of the way it is. I also don't know if I'd call Lebron a better player than MJ; peak to peak, they look pretty competitive. Longevity argument comes in, sure, that's something. But as you say, now we're into nuance.

I don't think Lebron is better than MJ, but if someone said that and based it on their evaluation of the player. Totally fine. Just like you could say despite the rings, Lebron had a better career because of longevity and more playoff wins and finals.

All that said...we're way off the thread given this is a peak discussion, not career. And I'm not gonna lie...I'm not sure where I'll end up ranking this peak. But it's certainly going to require me to question if this is the GOAT peak. And I might reject it long term. Only time will tell.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#187 » by tsherkin » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:23 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:I don't think Lebron is better than MJ, but if someone said that and based it on their evaluation of the player. Totally fine. Just like you could say despite the rings, Lebron had a better career because of longevity and more playoff wins and finals.

Yeah, I follow.

All that said...we're way off the thread given this is a peak discussion, not career. And I'm not gonna lie...I'm not sure where I'll end up ranking this peak. But it's certainly going to require me to question if this is the GOAT peak. And I might reject it long term. Only time will tell.

Indeed. Now, with respect to Jokic/Lebron, it's certainly an interesting and worthy comparison. Lebron from 09-13 was pretty wild. Jokic from 21-24 has been pretty wild, and seems poised to carry on for a little longer. Should be really interesting to see where it goes, especially over the remainder of this postseason.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#188 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:32 pm

tsherkin wrote:Indeed. Now, with respect to Jokic/Lebron, it's certainly an interesting and worthy comparison. Lebron from 09-13 was pretty wild. Jokic from 21-24 has been pretty wild, and seems poised to carry on for a little longer. Should be really interesting to see where it goes, especially over the remainder of this postseason.

I just looked, to win Jokic and the Nuggets might have to beat the 1 2 and 3 team in SRS and open with a first round team with 2 all nba players. That's pretty crazy to think about. Certainly will add some food for discussion.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 7,029

Post#189 » by LakerLegend » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:34 pm

Everyone realizes the lakers are a 7th seed that didn’t even win 50 games right.
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,179

Post#190 » by Iwasawitness » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:34 pm

Infinite Llamas wrote:Lol that 2018 was counted out by March when Kyrie went down. They had home court but they weren’t the favorites to win ANY of those series.

And yet they still managed to win their series. We can talk about perception in regards to what was expected going in but that doesn't apply at all to this argument. Moving goal posts isn't going to help you here.

Infinite Llamas wrote:They were crazy underdogs because of their youth. Smart missed some games early on too. You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. Brad Stevens had great defenses even when he was playing Isaiah Thomas 40 minutes a game. He got guys to play hard and buy in, but nobody expected Tatum and Brown to beat Giannis and Middleton or Embiid or Lebron.

Literally none of this disproves what I just said. The Celtics were very clearly the better team, it wasn't really close. And what's funny is that since you are relying so much on betting odds, the Celtics opened as favorites to win game 7, a game they ended up losing anyways, so you can't even use the betting odds argument here.

Infinite Llamas wrote:I’ll concede my Lebron takes are hasty but your Boston analysis is tragic. 2010 Finals was the collective death of that Boston big-3 team. Blowing that lead in the Finals in game 7 was it. Everything else was just an extended death rattle.

My boston analysis is both accurate and correct. They were in fact the top ranked defense in 2018, they did in fact make it to the ECF and were better without Irving. They were in fact a better team than the Cavaliers, having only lost because LeBron was super human that postseason run and couldn't be stopped by anyone. They had lots of experience and only a couple of their players actually lacked any true playoff experience. This is all correct.

Same with the big three Celtics. The 2011 Celtics were still an elite team who lost due to injuries. They were one win away from eliminating the Heat in 2012. Yeah, they definitely weren't on the same heights that they were in 2008, that doesn't suddenly mean they weren't a great team. You choosing to be purposely dishonest about your own team just to downplay LeBron's achievements is pretty sad.

Infinite Llamas wrote:If I stop talking about Lebron please, oh please I beg of you to stop taking about the Celtics. I’ve read enough quarter-baked takes for one day.

Stop making up obvious bull **** and I'll think about it.

Edit: Speaking of bull ****, I have to correct myself on a bull **** claim. I said LeBron had a 40 point performance against Boston in game 7 of their ECF clash in 2018. He didn't. His 40 point games were games 2, 4 and 6. My bad.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#191 » by tsherkin » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:35 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
tsherkin wrote:Indeed. Now, with respect to Jokic/Lebron, it's certainly an interesting and worthy comparison. Lebron from 09-13 was pretty wild. Jokic from 21-24 has been pretty wild, and seems poised to carry on for a little longer. Should be really interesting to see where it goes, especially over the remainder of this postseason.

I just looked, to win Jokic and the Nuggets might have to beat the 1 2 and 3 team in SRS and open with a first round team with 2 all nba players. That's pretty crazy to think about. Certainly will add some food for discussion.

Yes, it will be a difficult road, certainly.
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,179

Post#192 » by Iwasawitness » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:09 pm

lessthanjake wrote:I don’t think the Nuggets had a very difficult slate of opponents in 2023. SRS definitely undersells their opponents—the Lakers were *way* better after the trades, the Suns hadn’t had Durant for the vast majority of the season, and the Heat always seem substantially better in the playoffs (likely in large part due to Spoelstra). But, of course, if we just looked at SRS, the 2023 slate of opponents look like complete jokes. That wasn’t the case in reality, and I think we all know that, if we’re being honest about it.

Sometimes SRS does undersell teams and sometimes they overrate them. In the case of 2023 I think they were spot on.

LA did get significantly better after the trades but it didn't solve all of their problems. They still lacked depth, especially bigs outside of AD. The Nuggets were able to exploit this, compared to 2020 where the two teams met in the playoffs and one of the big advantages LA had was that they had a multitude of bigs they could use on him.

Suns weren't a real threat regardless even with Durant. They just didn't have enough time to really develop as a team with him. Maybe if it was the full season, it'd be a different story, but I still wouldn't see them beating Denver. Regardless, the fact that the Suns were arguably the best team Denver faced that season says it all.

Miami was the eighth seed for a reason, and it wasn't due to injuries or some fluke circumstances. It's because top to bottom, they weren't all that great of a team. But they matched up incredibly well with the first seeded Bucks who were being coached by Bud who was obviously impacted greatly by the death of his brother. Their three point shooting as a team reached ridiculous levels against the Knicks, who they had no business beating but managed to pull it off anyways. And the Celtics... I mean I just don't know what else to say at this point. I actually have Celtics once again disappointing this year and not even making the Finals because I just don't think they have it in them to reach that next step. Yes, that's the only explanation I can come up with for the Celtics, no I don't care how weak it is. Regardless, the Heat just did not matchup well at all with the Nuggets on top of there being a clear and utter mismatch in terms of talent.

lessthanjake wrote:That said, LeBron’s Finals runs didn’t actually include “a lot of really great teams.” I think this is intuitively obvious to people who watched basketball at the time and don’t simply *want* to believe otherwise. But just for reference, I’d say that +1000 or better pre-playoff title odds is a pretty reasonable dividing line that marks whether a team was a real contender. Teams with worse odds than that essentially never win the title. Indeed, the only teams to have done so since 1976 (the first year we have data for this) are the 2011 Mavs and the 1995 Rockets (but multiple teams at +1000 exactly have won, so this is actually a natural dividing line). In all of his Finals runs combined, how many teams with +1000 or better pre-playoffs title odds did LeBron’s teams beat prior to the Finals? Well, only five. Those are the 2007 Pistons, the 2011 Celtics, the 2011 Bulls, the 2014 Pacers, and the 2015 Hawks (barely, at +1000 exactly). And the only one of those teams that was actually a top 3 team in pre-playoffs title odds that year was the 2011 Bulls. I do actually think that the East was not weak in 2011, and the Heat’s run to the Finals that year was actually on the difficult side. But the rest of it was *really* sparse. When we’re hanging our hats on teams like the 2015 Hawks and 2014 Pacers—ensemble-cast teams in a mold that almost always fails in the playoffs—as the banner teams for playing “really great” opponents, then I think it’s obvious that there just weren’t a lot of really good opponents.

I don't understand the logic behind dismissing the 2015 Hawks because... wait what did you even say again? They're an ensemble cast team that almost always falls in the playoffs? So that suddenly means they were never a great team? That means they were never a legitimate threat? I just don't buy into that logic at all. Same with the 2014 Pacers or any version of them really. They came close on multiple occasions to reaching that next step, they were just never able to get the job done. That doesn't mean they weren't legitimately great teams. They absolutely were.

lessthanjake wrote:Ultimately, LeBron benefited from an easy conference. It really shouldn’t be a debatable premise. He very obviously did and everyone recognized that at the time.

At what time? 2018? Because that wasn't the consensus at the time. The consensus was that LeBron overcame teams he had no business beating and once again dragged a team to the Finals when they had no business being there. No one was calling the East easy in 2016, or 2015. This wasn't a popular thought for the majority of his time in Miami... your theory isn't supported by anything substantial.

Yeah, LeBron rarely faced teams that were actually superior to the ones he played for. But we need to understand the difference between actual easy teams and legitimately good ones that simply weren't on his level, all while acknowledging the ones that he managed to win against who were clearly better. The Pacers teams, for the most part, were elite defensive units with a superstar caliber first option and a good cast of characters. The 2015 Hawks were a 60 win team with four all stars. The 2011 Bulls had the MVP, best defense and also 60 wins, and they were usually always very good teams even when Rose unfortunately went down (and they were a very good team in 2015 when they managed to be able to keep Rose around for said playoffs). And as I've always preached, the 2018 playoffs featured multiple teams superior to what LeBron had going for him in Cleveland. Regardless of whether or not they fit the category of an elite team (I think the Celtics definitely were elite, as were the Raptors), the fact of the matter remains that they were clearly superior to the Cavs but still faltered in the end.

At what point do we stop pulling the "the teams obviously weren't good" card and start actually acknowledging that a good part of it was due to the greatness of LeBron? At what point do we decide that we want to be objective about this and not do everything in our power to downplay ones achievements because of an obviously flawed and wrong narrative?

lessthanjake wrote:That makes his 10 Finals appearances less impressive than it would otherwise be. At the same time, though, I also think it contextualizes his Finals record a lot. LeBron’s teams probably shouldn’t have made 10 Finals and wouldn’t have done so if he was not frequently in such a weak conference. So of course they lost in the Finals a lot—they were often a team that didn’t even really belong there and got there because their conference was weak. If he were in a stronger conference, LeBron would almost certainly have made significantly fewer than 10 Finals, but his record in the Finals also probably would be a lot better. Ironically, there are people who make arguments that indicate they think LeBron would be a better/greater player if that were the case, because they claim to supremely care about record in the Finals. I don’t think that’s right. If LeBron played in the harder conference and made like 5 Finals and won 4 of them, to me it wouldn’t be any better or worse. It’d be a similarly impressive achievement in a different context.

I don't really care for the LeBron making 10 finals thing because I don't consider that in of itself to be an achievement. It's how you actually get there in the first place and what you do to put your team in position. In the cases of 2007 and 2012, for example, LeBron made the finals thanks to historic all time great playoff game performances. He lost one and won the other... but I consider both to be achievements in of itself that add to his legacy. LeBron had to go through a 50 win and 60 win team in 2015 with key players missing from his team multiple times, most notably Love for the entirety of those series and Irving for half the ECF and most of the Finals. LeBron in the 2018 playoffs was historically dominant and had seven 40 point games and a 50 point game in the Finals. These things matter and should be taken into account, regardless of the fact that it ended in his team being swept in the Finals. I am almost never going to care about that 10 finals number. I am absolutely going to care about the all time performances he had to get there, a lot of which against great teams whether people want to admit it or not.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,382

Post#193 » by lessthanjake » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:20 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:I don’t think the Nuggets had a very difficult slate of opponents in 2023. SRS definitely undersells their opponents—the Lakers were *way* better after the trades, the Suns hadn’t had Durant for the vast majority of the season, and the Heat always seem substantially better in the playoffs (likely in large part due to Spoelstra). But, of course, if we just looked at SRS, the 2023 slate of opponents look like complete jokes. That wasn’t the case in reality, and I think we all know that, if we’re being honest about it.

Sometimes SRS does undersell teams and sometimes they overrate them. In the case of 2023 I think they were spot on.

LA did get significantly better after the trades but it didn't solve all of their problems. They still lacked depth, especially bigs outside of AD. The Nuggets were able to exploit this, compared to 2020 where the two teams met in the playoffs and one of the big advantages LA had was that they had a multitude of bigs they could use on him.

Suns weren't a real threat regardless even with Durant. They just didn't have enough time to really develop as a team with him. Maybe if it was the full season, it'd be a different story, but I still wouldn't see them beating Denver. Regardless, the fact that the Suns were arguably the best team Denver faced that season says it all.

Miami was the eighth seed for a reason, and it wasn't due to injuries or some fluke circumstances. It's because top to bottom, they weren't all that great of a team. But they matched up incredibly well with the first seeded Bucks who were being coached by Bud who was obviously impacted greatly by the death of his brother. Their three point shooting as a team reached ridiculous levels against the Knicks, who they had no business beating but managed to pull it off anyways. And the Celtics... I mean I just don't know what else to say at this point. I actually have Celtics once again disappointing this year and not even making the Finals because I just don't think they have it in them to reach that next step. Yes, that's the only explanation I can come up with for the Celtics, no I don't care how weak it is. Regardless, the Heat just did not matchup well at all with the Nuggets on top of there being a clear and utter mismatch in terms of talent.

I don’t think it’s reasonable to say that the SRS was spot on with these opponents, when we have clear concrete reasons why they were better. For instance, you can say the Lakers still had weaknesses, but after the Westbrook trade, the Lakers had a 5.09 SRS, followed by having a 7.80 playoff SRS before facing the Nuggets. Across almost 40 regular season + playoff games after the Westbrook trade and before facing the Nuggets, the Lakers had about a 6 SRS. So are we really supposed to think that their 0.43 regular season SRS was “spot on”? Meanwhile, the Suns had had an 8.76 SRS in the RS+Playoff games Durant had played for them prior to facing Denver. Granted, that was a small sample size, so I don’t take it as seriously as the Lakers data points, but it’s certainly evidence that would tend to confirm the obvious idea that getting Durant made them better than their regular season 2.08 SRS. Finally, the Heat had had a 9.04 playoff SRS prior to facing Denver, and their status as having the best coach in the NBA along with their playoff success in prior years makes that seem like it probably wasn’t really a random mirage, and that they weren’t really a -0.13 SRS team. Granted, I wouldn’t say these higher SRS figures I’ve given are perfectly representative of these teams’ quality. But I think the truth is clearly at least somewhere in the middle and that saying their regular season SRS was spot on is just not right.

lessthanjake wrote:That said, LeBron’s Finals runs didn’t actually include “a lot of really great teams.” I think this is intuitively obvious to people who watched basketball at the time and don’t simply *want* to believe otherwise. But just for reference, I’d say that +1000 or better pre-playoff title odds is a pretty reasonable dividing line that marks whether a team was a real contender. Teams with worse odds than that essentially never win the title. Indeed, the only teams to have done so since 1976 (the first year we have data for this) are the 2011 Mavs and the 1995 Rockets (but multiple teams at +1000 exactly have won, so this is actually a natural dividing line). In all of his Finals runs combined, how many teams with +1000 or better pre-playoffs title odds did LeBron’s teams beat prior to the Finals? Well, only five. Those are the 2007 Pistons, the 2011 Celtics, the 2011 Bulls, the 2014 Pacers, and the 2015 Hawks (barely, at +1000 exactly). And the only one of those teams that was actually a top 3 team in pre-playoffs title odds that year was the 2011 Bulls. I do actually think that the East was not weak in 2011, and the Heat’s run to the Finals that year was actually on the difficult side. But the rest of it was *really* sparse. When we’re hanging our hats on teams like the 2015 Hawks and 2014 Pacers—ensemble-cast teams in a mold that almost always fails in the playoffs—as the banner teams for playing “really great” opponents, then I think it’s obvious that there just weren’t a lot of really good opponents.

I don't understand the logic behind dismissing the 2015 Hawks because... wait what did you even say again? They're an ensemble cast team that almost always falls in the playoffs? So that suddenly means they were never a great team? That means they were never a legitimate threat? I just don't buy into that logic at all. Same with the 2014 Pacers or any version of them really. They came close on multiple occasions to reaching that next step, they were just never able to get the job done. That doesn't mean they weren't legitimately great teams. They absolutely were.

How often do teams without a major superstar do really well in the playoffs? It happens, but it is very rare. More commonly, throughout NBA history, teams with that sort of team construction don’t do much. I personally never took that era’s Pacers or the 2015 Hawks seriously as playoff threats, for this reason. This has nothing to do with LeBron, as I didn’t think they were serious playoff threats well before they actually faced LeBron’s teams. What it has to do with IMO is that players just don’t really get up for regular season games against teams like this as much as they do against great teams with major superstars. This makes the regular season success of such teams a bit misleading, and they end up facing a higher difficulty spike in the playoffs than other teams. You’re free to disagree, but really if you are hanging your hat on those teams as the poster children for LeBron’s “really great” opponents, then I don’t think the vast majority of people will agree with you.

Anyways, IMO, the best team LeBron ever beat prior to the Finals was the 2011 Bulls. That was a legitimately really good team, and the Heat won rather easily even though Wade didn’t have a good series (though Bosh did have a great series). I rooted for LeBron in every single Eastern Conference series he ever had in his career, and that was easily the series his team won that I was most worried about beforehand.

lessthanjake wrote:Ultimately, LeBron benefited from an easy conference. It really shouldn’t be a debatable premise. He very obviously did and everyone recognized that at the time.

At what time? 2018? Because that wasn't the consensus at the time. The consensus was that LeBron overcame teams he had no business beating and once again dragged a team to the Finals when they had no business being there. No one was calling the East easy in 2016, or 2015. This wasn't a popular thought for the majority of his time in Miami... your theory isn't supported by anything substantial.

Before the playoffs started in 2018, the Cavaliers had easily the best title odds of any Eastern Conference team. They had a surprisingly fragile-seeming first round matchup, so the odds flipped after that, with the Raptors having better odds after the first round, but you’re really exaggerating here. Not only did the 2018 Cavaliers have easily the best pre-playoffs title odds of any Eastern Conference team, but the idea that LeBron overcame “teams” (plural) that he “had no business beating” is a bit odd when his team had substantially better title odds than their opponent in the first round and the conference finals, and, as mentioned, had had better title odds than the second-round opponent before the playoffs started. In any event, though, you’re subtly shifting the discussion away from the actual quality of the opponents to a comparison to the quality of LeBron’s team. Those opponents in 2018 were not “really great” teams, regardless of whether the Cavs weren’t great either. The whole point here is that, in a stronger conference, his teams would not have made the Finals as much, and this is one of the banner years for that!

And yes, people were calling the East easy in 2015 and 2016. The non-LeBron Eastern Conference team with the best pre-playoff title odds in 2016 had +4000 odds! As mentioned, in 2015, the best was +1000 odds. There was simply not really another serious contender in the East in LeBron’s entire second stint on the Cavaliers, and contemporaneous betting odds bear that out. If we go back to the Heat years, you had years like 2014, where 5 of the top 7 teams in terms of pre-playoff title odds were in the West (and one of the other two was, of course, the Heat). You had 2013, where the non-LeBron Eastern Conference team with the best pre-playoff odds had +1600 odds. On paper in 2012, the East had the team with the next best pre-playoff title odds behind the Heat, but it was the Bulls and Derrick Rose got injured immediately in the playoffs, so they were irrelevant. And besides them, the next three favorites were in the West, and the team with the next best pre-playoff odds in the East was at +2000. Finally, when we go back to 2011, the East actually was strong (and had 3 of the top 4 teams in title odds), and I think virtually anyone would admit that that run for the Heat in the East was not easy. Once Derrick Rose got hurt, the East was perpetually weak the entire time LeBron was there. It’s really just not a debatable concept. Again, I rooted for LeBron in the East that entire time. And, of course, there’s always some uncertainty in the playoffs, but from Derrick Rose’s 2012 injury onwards there was always a clear sense that his road to the Finals wouldn’t have to go through any top-tier contender.

Yeah, LeBron rarely faced teams that were actually superior to the ones he played for. But we need to understand the difference between actual easy teams and legitimately good ones that simply weren't on his level, all while acknowledging the ones that he managed to win against who were clearly better. The Pacers teams, for the most part, were elite defensive units with a superstar caliber first option and a good cast of characters. The 2015 Hawks were a 60 win team with four all stars. The 2011 Bulls had the MVP, best defense and also 60 wins, and they were usually always very good teams even when Rose unfortunately went down (and they were a very good team in 2015 when they managed to be able to keep Rose around for said playoffs). And as I've always preached, the 2018 playoffs featured multiple teams superior to what LeBron had going for him in Cleveland. Regardless of whether or not they fit the category of an elite team (I think the Celtics definitely were elite, as were the Raptors), the fact of the matter remains that they were clearly superior to the Cavs but still faltered in the end.

“Superstar caliber first option” is quite a stretch for anyone on those Pacers teams. I assume you’re referring to Paul George, and I’m not sure Paul George *ever* deserved that description, but he definitely didn’t at age 22 and 23.

And yes, the venerable four-all-star cast of Jeff Teague, Al Horford, Kyle Korver, and Paul Millsap. Please. They made the all-star team because people think teams with a lot of wins should get multiple all stars and no one had any idea who deserved to make it on their team since they didn’t actually have any star, so they all somehow ended up in. None of those players were actual stars, and we both know that. They ran it back the next year with those same guys all perfectly healthy and they won 48 games (not to mention having won 38 games in 2014). It was the quintessential team that did well in the regular season in significant part because players and coaches didn’t take them that seriously. And, bearing that out, while they made the conference finals, their playoff SRS was only a pretty mediocre 2.70 before facing the Cavs (and they had a negative playoff SRS after that!). They weren’t a bad team, but they certainly weren’t “really great.”

The 2011 Bulls were actually good. Probably the best team LeBron ever beat in the first three rounds of the playoffs.

At what point do we stop pulling the "the teams obviously weren't good" card and start actually acknowledging that a good part of it was due to the greatness of LeBron? At what point do we decide that we want to be objective about this and not do everything in our power to downplay ones achievements because of an obviously flawed and wrong narrative?

My views on these teams are not “due to the greatness of LeBron” when I know that I didn’t think these teams were good *before* they played LeBron in the playoffs, and I obviously wasn’t alone since pre-playoff title odds virtually always agreed with that assessment. And I really can’t emphasize enough that this was obvious to me even when I was rooting for LeBron to make the Finals in all of these years. Respectfully, I think it’s you that is not being objective and attaching yourself to an “obviously flawed and wrong narrative.” The Eastern Conference was very weak for a large portion of LeBron’s time there. And that’s okay! He also took care of business in the East quite often! As I said, the weakness of the East contextualizes his team achievements, and it’s pretty clear he wouldn’t have made nearly as many Finals in a tough conference, but he’d probably have won just as many titles and put up similarly great individual performances. So the only way this discussion matters is to the extent there’s people who hyper-focus on either (1) making so many Finals or making Finals with relatively weak rosters a couple times; or (2) having a bad record in the Finals. Both of those are largely a product of being in a weak conference. In a stronger conference, he’d have made fewer Finals (and definitely not have made it in the years his team was weakest) and have had a better record in the Finals. So I think this point is reason to largely dismiss certain arguments both sides of people make about LeBron. Otherwise, though, it just is what it is.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
PedroFlu
Pro Prospect
And1: 655

Post#194 » by PedroFlu » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:32 pm

Quick food for thought: imagine peak LeBron in place of current Jokic, being supported by a healthy clutch Murray, KCP, MPJ and Gordon... damn he would bearly unbeatable.

Now imagine Jokic in place of prime Lebron in Heatles... that'd be crazy too.

Im absolutely certain Jokic is at least at LeBron's level as a player. They are similar in many ways.. but Jokic is actually a more spectacular and better playmaker and possibly as good as a scorer.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,785

Post#195 » by LukaTheGOAT » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:08 pm

Feel free to choose Jokic, but I might push back on the more efficient point depending on the frame of reference.

For example, I think Lebron has a good argument for being more efficient if we look at the PS,

Jokic's best 3-year PS stretch in rTS% is +4.7% from 2021-2023 (not included 2024 PS yet).

Lebron has 11 3-year PS stretches above that figure. His most efficient stretch from 12-14, had him at rTS% of +9%.

Relative to era, Jokic hasn't proven to be more efficient in the PS.
Read on Twitter
greekman
Senior
And1: 328

Post#196 » by greekman » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:21 pm

prime lebron could beat anyone on any given night with a bad supporting cast. jokic could never make the 2nd round without murray hitting big shots. prime lebron wasn't that reliant on the players around him.
pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,273

Post#197 » by pr0wler » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:53 pm

Not a LeBron fan at all, but comparing a 6'8'' SF's efficiency in an era where the average TS% was like 53, to a 6'11'' Center playing in an era where TS % is almost 60, isn't exactly fair imo.
ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 992

Post#198 » by ScrantonBulls » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:14 am

RSP83 wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:
RSP83 wrote:
You miss my point. What is 'Better' really mean? Yes, Lebron is more talented than Kobe, but for the talent that he has, Kobe produce better result. I go back to what I said, other than longevity I don't think Lebron create too much separation with guys who's regarded below him, such as Kobe and Duncan. If there's an NBA draft pick of HoF caliber NBA player, why do you have to pick Lebron over Kobe or Duncan? I can understand people picking Lebron, but Kobe over Lebron would've been fine too.

So if LeBron dictated where he wouldn't play from BEFORE he was drafted (Kobe saying he wouldn't play for the Nets) and got traded to Lakers, played with prime Shaq, then played with Lau, Odom, Gasol, Bynum, etc., all while being coached by Phil Jackson, the results would be the same? LeBron with prime Shaq easily wins more than 3 championships, on account of him being clearly better than Kobe at every stage of his career... He probably doesn't drive Shaq out either.

You're conveniently ignoring literally ALL context. Literally anybody with rudimentary basketball knowledge would take LeBron over Kobe if they could choose.

I take it you would choose Robert Horry over Kobe though. He just got better results.

Lol. Who's in their right mind would choose Robert Horry over Kobe?

LeBron with prime Shaq could win 3. But Kobe with Wade and Bosh easily win more than 2 championships.

No... YOU would take LeBron over Kobe. I wouldn't. Just because LeBron is a better basketball player than Kobe doesn't mean I would trust him more to lead my team over Kobe. And you're talking as if Kobe was some unskilled basketball player.

LeBron is still healthy and not far from his prime, he can still jump out of the gym, he's skill is as good as ever. His basketball IQ is the highest it's ever been with experience. If he's currently on the decline, well even in his decline he's still as good as top 5 players in the league. Despite that he's struggling to lead his Lakers team, with Anthony Davis another Top 75 player on his team. I hate that fans of LeBron praises his longevity being this productive at 39. But then say, "he's already 39", when people ask, "why Isn't the Lakers better with LeBron putting up such production?". Put Kobe in LeBron's freakishly fit 39 year old body, the Lakers would be much better.

You're conveniently ignoring the mental side of the game. Literally anybody who understands importance of leadership and mental aspect of the game, would take Kobe over LeBron if they could choose.

The "Kobe > LeBron" take started to become laughable during the LeBron Heatles days. There's just no logical argument for taking Kobe over LeBron in any capacity. He's so clearly a better player and impacts winning more. I don't think any GM would choose Kobe over LeBron. I'm assuming you're letting personal bias affect your opinion here. Let's be honest - it's absolutely no contest between the two. Anybody who wants to put together a winning franchise would choose LeBron over Kobe.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,163

Post#199 » by Lalouie » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:19 am

jokic has peaked higher
but lebrob has a thicker resume
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,923

Post#200 » by RSP83 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:44 am

KyRo23 wrote:
RSP83 wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:So if LeBron dictated where he wouldn't play from BEFORE he was drafted (Kobe saying he wouldn't play for the Nets) and got traded to Lakers, played with prime Shaq, then played with Lau, Odom, Gasol, Bynum, etc., all while being coached by Phil Jackson, the results would be the same? LeBron with prime Shaq easily wins more than 3 championships, on account of him being clearly better than Kobe at every stage of his career... He probably doesn't drive Shaq out either.

You're conveniently ignoring literally ALL context. Literally anybody with rudimentary basketball knowledge would take LeBron over Kobe if they could choose.

I take it you would choose Robert Horry over Kobe though. He just got better results.

Lol. Who's in their right mind would choose Robert Horry over Kobe?

LeBron with prime Shaq could win 3. But Kobe with Wade and Bosh easily win more than 2 championships.

No... YOU would take LeBron over Kobe. I wouldn't. Just because LeBron is a better basketball player than Kobe doesn't mean I would trust him more to lead my team over Kobe. And you're talking as if Kobe was some unskilled basketball player.

LeBron is still healthy and not far from his prime, he can still jump out of the gym, he's skill is as good as ever. His basketball IQ is the highest it's ever been with experience. If he's currently on the decline, well even in his decline he's still as good as top 5 players in the league. Despite that he's struggling to lead his Lakers team, with Anthony Davis another Top 75 player on his team. I hate that fans of LeBron praises his longevity being this productive at 39. But then say, "he's already 39", when people ask, "why Isn't the Lakers better with LeBron putting up such production?". Put Kobe in LeBron's freakishly fit 39 year old body, the Lakers would be much better.

You're conveniently ignoring the mental side of the game. Literally anybody who understands importance of leadership and mental aspect of the game, would take Kobe over LeBron if they could choose.

You’re just taking hypotheticals and passing them as facts :lol:

I think LeBron and Shaq win 7 straight. Kobe on the heat might win a couple, maybe

I think Kobe in LeBrons body right now would be worse than current LeBron

Anyone who understands anything would say this

Cut, print, perfect!

The arguments I was presented with was hypothetical. So I responded hypothetically. Same as you too.

Return to The General Board