PHX Suns off season could end their era

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,681

Re: PHX Suns off season could end their era 

Post#41 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:27 pm

ConSarnit wrote:You’d think having seen multiple teams make the same mistake before the Suns would have learned something.

Including the team they acquired KD from.
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 5,970

Post#42 » by TeamTragic » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:42 pm

LAvision wrote:They made their bed.....

Dont they have no 1st round picks till 2030? And how much could KD and Booker really get in return? They are in such a bad situation.

Are you an idiot? Swaps don't mean you lose every single pick.

Try harder next time and pay attention.

Strike: Personal Attack
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,890

Post#43 » by HotelVitale » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:22 pm

mademan wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
You’d think having seen multiple teams make the same mistake before the Suns would have learned something. If you’re going to bring in a 3rd star he better not be a score first guy. The 3rd option always get marginalized as far as scoring goes and then for them to be worth anywhere near their contract they need to have supplementary skills they can fall back on. The “good” example of this is Chris Bosh on MIA who became a very good defender and as such earned the majority of his contract. Beal is the “bad” example: not a good enough playmaker for others nor can he take the tough defensive assignments. So then you’re left paying $50m to an 18ppg scorer.

What do you guys think CP and a couple swaps (most of which likely weren't swapping) could've got them? Not defending the trade by any means but I'm not sure there were that many options for that type of package. Though the later swaps (like the 2030 one) have some value and were probably worth more than package of 2nd rounders that some vets got at the deadline this year.

They also took a gamble on Beal coming back healthy and in good form, hasn't happened that well but I always hate pissing on teams for taking swings that don't work out. (Unless you're doing the same when it does work out.) Just my taste though.

Seeing what Dallas is doing with Gafford/PJ, i think Paul and those high variance swaps couldve got them. It wasnt plainly clear that these guys were undervalued on their current teams and could provide real value as supporting pieces to offensive stars, but thats what FO's get paid for, no?

Go back 6 months and im certain Hornets and Wiz fan would give up these middling role players (Washington was considered overpaid) for the chance at gold 3-4 years from now. Beal, otoh, clearly had no place on a team with KD and Booker.

CP was one large contract, though. Couldn't break him up into smaller pieces and trade off part here and part there.

They would've had to find a team who could trade back $30m in decent players AND was good with paying a pretty useless CP 2/60. And just for a couple swaps too. Not saying it couldn't happen but it's not like it was a standing option that could've been cashed in at any time.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 287

Post#44 » by WentzerWuver » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:32 pm

cpower wrote:Booker is fraud, and gave him first team all NBA in 2022 is crazy.. he was not better than Curry and Ja.
He earned it, you hater. I take Booker over my Beard right now, if offered.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,426

Post#45 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 pm

Durant is either self destructive or just dumb.

Played one of the best teams in history (tied with Bulls) and saw first-hand that it take defense and team ball to win (Having JUST BEEN BEATEN by the Warriors playing the ISO ball).

YETTTTTTTTT.....he goes to New Jersy and partners with a one-way scoring talent in Irving. That doesn't work so he goes to the Suns and HAD to have given the OK for the ISO ball factory team he's on now. YOU CAN NOT WIN chips with three gunners and no defense.

Anyway, he felt he needed to strike out on his own after Warriors and prove a point. He has....just not the point he wanted to.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 5,971

Post#46 » by Exp0sed » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:41 pm

Booker is a low I.Q player through and through, he should be used like a weapon because he can def score and shoot with the best of them. in that #1 seed season it was CP3 who was making most of the decisions and he was also dominating alot of the advanced stats

he's also the opposite of a competitor and a leader, so he needs a real alpha that can make the decisions for him.
imagine him next to say..Jokic? Jokic will turn him into a superstar, the same way that CP3 did and the same way Jokic is using a guy like MPJ (who has even worse I.Q and decision making but is a top 5 pure shooter who can his shot off against anyone due to his size and skill set).

you put him next to a non-leader, average I.Q bus rider like KD and a non-leader low I.Q player in Beal and that's what u get..

Suns did the stupidest thing they could have done, foregoing a tradional PG and having no leaders or players that playmake for others on this roster, just a bunch of overpaid one dimensional shooters

if used properly he could be a menace
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,314

Post#47 » by Godymas » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:15 pm

cpower wrote:
Godymas wrote:
Hair Jordan wrote:What era? :lol: They haven’t done sh-t.

the Devin Booker era obviously, please be serious when posting

the Devin Booker era is not as impressive as the Mike Conley era 8-) Are you going to post one about him?

Mike Conley was not the face of his team, it was Marc Gasol, and the era was called the "Grit and Grind era" everyone knows this

are you going to continue to make stupid posts, what would you refer to the time when Steve Nash ran the Phoenix Suns and accomplished nothing outside of the regular season? A random moment in time for the Phoenix Suns or is it the Steve Nash era
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 818

Post#48 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:20 pm

TeamTragic wrote:
LAvision wrote:They made their bed.....

Dont they have no 1st round picks till 2030? And how much could KD and Booker really get in return? They are in such a bad situation.

Are you an idiot? Swaps don't mean you lose every single pick.

Try harder next time and pay attention.

They have swapped their swaps so much that those picks are almost guaranteed to give them a pick between 26 and 30 each year.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,518

Post#49 » by mtcan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:20 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:Are we sure that Beal still has a no trade clause? Just wondering if it goes away once traded

Beal's one of the league's worst contracts...he doesn't need a no trade clause because no team is gonna trade for him.

He's done absolutely nothing in his career but will make 57 million in the last year of his deal.
Pablo Escobar
Head Coach
And1: 4,424

Post#50 » by Pablo Escobar » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:26 pm

Kd doesn't care. Dude just wants to smoke weed and hoop. His decision making since leaving okc has been legacy damaging.
Plata o Plomo?
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,190

Post#51 » by cpower » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:37 pm

Godymas wrote:
cpower wrote:
Godymas wrote:
the Devin Booker era obviously, please be serious when posting

the Devin Booker era is not as impressive as the Mike Conley era 8-) Are you going to post one about him?

Mike Conley was not the face of his team, it was Marc Gasol, and the era was called the "Grit and Grind era" everyone knows this

are you going to continue to make stupid posts, what would you refer to the time when Steve Nash ran the Phoenix Suns and accomplished nothing outside of the regular season? A random moment in time for the Phoenix Suns or is it the Steve Nash era

Mike Conley has 100 WS and played 18 seasons, Booker played 9 season and had 45 WS....he has a long way to go before he even have a legacy. lets see where he has after 15 season
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,314

Post#52 » by Godymas » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:13 pm

cpower wrote:
Godymas wrote:
cpower wrote:the Devin Booker era is not as impressive as the Mike Conley era 8-) Are you going to post one about him?

Mike Conley has 100 WS and played 18 seasons, Booker played 9 season and had 45 WS....he has a long way to go before he even have a legacy. lets see where he has after 15 season

you’re going to pull stats now? the stats don’t matter, it’s who has been the face of the franchise which is OBVIOUSLY Devin Booker going on nearly a decade with the Suns quite possibly making him one of the most tenured players in the league.

Gilbert Arenas had an era in Washington, everyone knows it as the Gilbert Arenas era, and it only lasted 3 years
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,499

Post#53 » by shi-woo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:33 pm

Yall buggin on your opinions of Book. He's a baller, and while he isn't a 1st team ANBA guy, he's certainly one of the best players in the league. Not every SG gets to play with Shaq and Jokic to make their game seem so much better than it is. Book would look incredible playing off another All-Star level post player. Instead he's had to play off Paul and Beal, two other ball dominant under sized guards...

Unfortunately as some posters have mentioned I think to save the team Book needs to go. If I was him i'd make it easy on them and silently request a trade this offseason. Beal and KD are going nowhere, they just resigned Allen so you know the roster is already $65 mil in the hole with players who play your same position.

If they trade Book for depth that involves another borderline All-Star player and picks, then they could be better in the now and in the future.

Booker for Paul and Kuminga, who says no? (assuming they don't bring Klay back)
Booker for Isaac, Cole, and Black?
Book for Dame is actually an interesting idea...
Book to LA for Dlo, Rui, Vandy and their picks

Those are the type of deals I would look at if I'm PHX. Obviously those deals would involve picks and other players, but you get the idea. PHX should look to regain some 1st while at the same time trading for a plaayer like Kuminga who can take over later and potentially get more assets if things go poorly after KD.

I like the ORL trade idea, and think they could put together a competative package of win now players, prospects and obviously picks. We know they will be on the hunt for a SG, people been saying Klay, but who knows maybe they swing on book.

This team can not run it back though with $120 million committed to the SG spot, they just can't. Something has to give, and the only piece that seems movable is book unless they do the unthinkable and move beal to the bench and trade Allen.
The Hypnotoad
Rookie
And1: 420

Post#54 » by The Hypnotoad » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:47 pm

If the Celtics don’t win the championship this season (and I think they will win), I can see Boston trading Jaylen Brown for Kevin Durant to go all in on getting a chip during the Tatum years. I think it’d be a bit short sighted but that would be a pretty unbeatable team for at least a couple years barring injury.

And a Booker / Brown combo would be pretty appealing to Phoenix as a prime younger core.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,268

Post#55 » by djsunyc » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:54 pm

if they don't want to rebuild with youth/picks then booker for bam?
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,451

Post#56 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:20 pm

The Hypnotoad wrote:If the Celtics don’t win the championship this season (and I think they will win), I can see Boston trading Jaylen Brown for Kevin Durant to go all in on getting a chip during the Tatum years. I think it’d be a bit short sighted but that would be a pretty unbeatable team for at least a couple years barring injury.

And a Booker / Brown combo would be pretty appealing to Phoenix as a prime younger core.

Durant is 8 years older than Brown and just doesn't have an impact (swept twice in the 1st round in 3 years). Celtics could have had Durant twice for Brown and passed both times. Not happening now.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,464

Post#57 » by CBS7 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:25 pm

The Beal move was the dumbest move ever. I swear some people shouldn't be GMs.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,315

Post#58 » by enigmatics » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:02 pm

Archx wrote:Suns shot themselves in the foot when they traded basically entire core for Beal and KD and also in the process lost important bench players. Cam and Bridges were perfect for them and the situation with Ayton was unfortunate but probably salvagable if both parties just sat down. Instead new owner tried to play NBA 2k GM mode in real life....

Do they even have any draft picks for the next 5 years? Or only bad contracts?

The core embarrassed themselves repeatedly after that lightning in a bottle run to the Finals vs. the Bucks. They were a treadmill finesse squad with no stones.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 287

Post#59 » by WentzerWuver » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:39 pm

Exp0sed wrote:Booker is a low I.Q player through and through, he should be used like a weapon because he can def score and shoot with the best of them. in that #1 seed season it was CP3 who was making most of the decisions and he was also dominating alot of the advanced stats

he's also the opposite of a competitor and a leader, so he needs a real alpha that can make the decisions for him.
imagine him next to say..Jokic? Jokic will turn him into a superstar, the same way that CP3 did and the same way Jokic is using a guy like MPJ (who has even worse I.Q and decision making but is a top 5 pure shooter who can his shot off against anyone due to his size and skill set).

you put him next to a non-leader, average I.Q bus rider like KD and a non-leader low I.Q player in Beal and that's what u get..

Suns did the stupidest thing they could have done, foregoing a tradional PG and having no leaders or players that playmake for others on this roster, just a bunch of overpaid one dimensional shooters

if used properly he could be a menace
Disagree on Booker having low IQ reference but if you want a true point guard, the Lakers will make it happen for you.

Dlo plus fillers for Beal = win win!

Return to The General Board