NBA hasn’t shown Jokic enough respect

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,677

NBA hasn’t shown Jokic enough respect  

Post#1 » by sikma42 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:35 pm

When great players emerge, the other NBA teams have always adapted. They adapted to MJ, they adapted to Shaq (bigger line ups, more fouls), Lebron (bigs who could utilize verticality, bigger defenders to match up), and Steph (versatile bigs that could defend to the 3 point line). Lineups were tailored to handle their supreme talents.

However, with Jokic nobody has really adjusted. He is still bullying undersized bigs and there is really only one team that has decided to go big. Quite shocking and wonder why teams aren’t getting players to at least take something away from Jokic.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,336

Re: NBA hasn’t shown Jokic enough respect 

Post#2 » by Statlanta » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:40 pm

I think we've seen the adaptation. A unicorn with another big next to him

2020 Davis, Howard, McGee
Towns, Gobert, Reid
Porzingis, Horford.
Read on Twitter
ChipotleWest
Analyst
And1: 2,832

Post#3 » by ChipotleWest » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:49 pm

There's just not that many great bigs anymore, although Wemby is just getting started.
Hair Jordan
Sophomore
And1: 477

Post#4 » by Hair Jordan » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:56 pm

Really? He’s about to win his 3rd MVP in a four year span. Michael frigging Jordan didn’t even win 3 MVP’s in a four year span. I think he’s getting enough respect.
sikma42
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by sikma42 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:57 pm

Hair Jordan wrote:Really? He’s about to win his 3rd MVP in a four year span. Michael frigging Jordan didn’t even win 3 MVP’s in a four year span. I think he’s getting enough respect.

Did you read the post.

ChipotleWest
Analyst
And1: 2,832

Post#6 » by ChipotleWest » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:57 pm

Hair Jordan wrote:Really? He’s about to win his 3rd MVP in a four year span. Michael frigging Jordan didn’t even win 3 MVP’s in a four year span. I think he’s getting enough respect.

Not what the OP means, read the first post.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,923

Post#7 » by NZB2323 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:09 pm

The Spurs adjusted by drafting Wemby.

The Timberwolves adjusted by getting Rudy Gobert.

The Lakers had Dwight for their 2020 run.

The Celtics adjusted by getting the Zinger, but he has to stay healthy.
sikma42
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by sikma42 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:10 pm

NZB2323 wrote:The Spurs adjusted by drafting Wemby.

The Timberwolves adjusted by getting Rudy Gobert.

The Lakers had Dwight for their 2020 run.

The Lakers had Dwight and won a title and decided never to go that route again. That seems like a weird adjustment. Seems like they abandoned what worked.

TWolves adjusted.

Wemby existing doesn’t count as an adjustment.

ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,149

Post#9 » by ItsDanger » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:10 pm

Some teams are fine being pretenders, collecting easy money every season.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,590

Post#10 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:35 pm

Statlanta wrote:I think we've seen the adaptation. A unicorn with another big next to him

2020 Davis, Howard, McGee
Towns, Gobert, Reid
Porzingis, Horford.

Good OP - though title is bound to confuse people - but I think you're spot on with some of the adaptations going on here, as well as the fact that they aren't just adapting to Jokic, but to Giannis & Embiid.

Now though, I'm not saying that the adaptations that have happened are right or wrong, only that they are definitely happening. The question of the right away to approach an outlier is always fundamentally split along a spectrum:

Do we try to become more like them to try to stop them? or, Do we try to go in another direction to exploit their weakness?

You also really need to think about offense vs defense, and where you can expect to shift efficacy:

If you think that the best way to stop Jokic's team is to find a way to stop Jokic's offense, then you should focus on that more so than focusing on how to exploit Jokic's defense. And vice versa.

I don't want to claim I know a specific right answer...but I'm not optimistic about stopping Jokic's offense with any defensive approach. He just has too many counters that he's adept at selecting from and executing at master levels.

So then I'd be looking more to try to exploit him on defense...but then, I think that's what everyone's already trying to do and it doesn't seem to be working well enough.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,363

Post#11 » by dygaction » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:47 pm

Mavs adjusted to Gafford/Lively II/PJ Washington/Maxi rotation, much larger than before
Hair Jordan
Sophomore
And1: 477

Post#12 » by Hair Jordan » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:00 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:

Not what the OP means, read the first post.

I understood what OP meant. I was just trying to illustrate a point. To the OP’s point, why should other teams change up their style? They should do what they do best. The 80’s Lakers ran the fast break, the Celts pounded the paint, the Pistons played physical D, Houston had the Twin Towers, Chicago ran the triangle, Golden State spammed 3’s etc. Do what works for you and play to your lineups strengths. Damn everyone else.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,196

Post#13 » by JustBuzzin » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:00 pm

sikma42 wrote:When great players emerge, the other NBA teams have always adapted. They adapted to MJ, they adapted to Shaq (bigger line ups, more fouls), Lebron (bigs who could utilize verticality, bigger defenders to match up), and Steph (versatile bigs that could defend to the 3 point line). Lineups were tailored to handle their supreme talents.

However, with Jokic nobody has really adjusted. He is still bullying undersized bigs and there is really only one team that has decided to go big. Quite shocking and wonder why teams aren’t getting players to at least take something away from Jokic.

Newsflash great players can't be guarded by anyone.

What is the purpose of this thread bro? :crazy:
theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,909

Post#14 » by theforumblue » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:14 pm

yes every nba teams should be hiring 6'10+, very strong, very mobile, high IQ defenders to put on jokic. and they should get a couple of them obviously. bonus points if they can also go at jokic on the offensives side to tire him out. there are plenty you can find working at home depots and whatnot because nba doesn't need players like that unless it's to guard someone like jokic, at least now that jokic has proven himself somewhat.
screw these absolute garbage refs
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 8,203

Post#15 » by AleksandarN » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:18 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:There's just not that many great bigs anymore, although Wemby is just getting started.

There never was. Tall guys who can ball are in limited supply.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,771

Post#16 » by Johnny Firpo » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:18 pm

Throwing big bodies at Jokic is definitely not the way to stop him. Only one thing works, foul him and hope the refs will not call it, like the Lakers did in 2020. But then again, that was 24-25 years old Jokic. Not even sure that's possible anymore. No one can guard him, really, you have to beat the Nuggets by outshooting them from three, which can happen, since they are not a volume team, and the role players and even Murray are prone to having cold shooting nights.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,771

Post#17 » by Johnny Firpo » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:20 pm

theforumblue wrote:yes every nba teams should be hiring 6'10+, very strong, very mobile, high IQ defenders to put on jokic. and they should get a couple of them obviously. bonus points if they can also go at jokic on the offensives side to tire him out. there are plenty you can find working at home depots and whatnot because nba doesn't need players like that unless it's to guard someone like jokic, at least now that jokic has proven himself somewhat.

And also this. I chuckled, excellent post. And yeah, also, part 2, Jokic would torch Duncan or Hakeem too, if we are being honest.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,854

Post#18 » by Marrrcuss » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:25 pm

The Nuggets have been winning. The internet concentrates on whoever loses.

First time here?
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,336

Post#19 » by Statlanta » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:28 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:There's just not that many great bigs anymore, although Wemby is just getting started.

Which is why I was never mad at OKC not getting anybody on the deadline. Even if their draft capital is being wasted/duplicitous the current crop of big men for this specific year is not up to snuff. When/if Jokic slows down having Holmgren/Wembanyama and another big will be hell on the Nuggets

Read on Twitter
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,937

Post#20 » by JasonStern » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:48 pm

Nobody is disrespecting Jokic. But he certainly doesn't get the publicity and media recognition former greats received.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups

Return to The General Board