Starting a team in 2024 - Shaq or Joker

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Shaq or Joker

Shaq
38%
Joker
62%

Total votes: 116

sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,698

Starting a team in 2024 - Shaq or Joker 

Post#41 » by sikma42 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:25 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
sikma42 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Ya Id say so. I mean in the last 4 years Jokic has played in 70 more games than Embiid. Put that into perspective, the most games Embiid has ever played in a season is 68. So in the last 4 years, Denver has essentially gotten 1 extra regular season out of Jokic vs what Philly has gotten from Embiid.

In the last 4 years Id say Jokic has been the leader in probably at least 80% or more of the advanced stats for the regular season. Then you go and look at what he's done in the playoffs. Jokic has arguably been a top 3 playoff performer of all time. And unlike Luka and Embiid, Jokic does have the championship.

And 3 MVPs in 4 years. How many other guys have done that? 7? Id say Jokic has a pretty sizeable gap between him and everyone else at the moment.

Embiid was the front runner for MVP this year and won it last year. If you are head and shoulders better than someone you don’t lose to them back to back for MVPs if not for an injury/rule change.

And Luka imo played better than him this year and will only lose do the strength of his support cast. I think we are conflating awards with who is better. When Shaq played, even when he didn’t when the MVP, we ALL knew who was better…the MVP isn’t for the best player.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Did you not read his post. He pointed out the availability of Jokic compared to Embiid. Jokic has been way more effective than Embiid in the playoffs not even close. Jokic is the best player in the league.

Did you read the comment and what the discourse was about. I agree Jokic is the best player in the league. It’s about the gap between Shaq/Jokic and their contemporaries superstars.

AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 8,359

Re: Starting a team in 2024 - Shaq or Joker 

Post#42 » by AleksandarN » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:37 pm

sikma42 wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
sikma42 wrote:Embiid was the front runner for MVP this year and won it last year. If you are head and shoulders better than someone you don’t lose to them back to back for MVPs if not for an injury/rule change.

And Luka imo played better than him this year and will only lose do the strength of his support cast. I think we are conflating awards with who is better. When Shaq played, even when he didn’t when the MVP, we ALL knew who was better…the MVP isn’t for the best player.

Did you not read his post. He pointed out the availability of Jokic compared to Embiid. Jokic has been way more effective than Embiid in the playoffs not even close. Jokic is the best player in the league.

Did you read the comment and what the discourse was about. I agree Jokic is the best player in the league. It’s about the gap between Shaq/Jokic and their contemporaries superstars.

Yes I did the gap is not close right now in my opinion. The last 4 year run has been remarkable
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,836

Post#43 » by Nuntius » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:50 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Hard to go against Jokic. Because there is no projecting on how impactful Jokic would be in this era. Jokic is a 3x MVP (probably should be 4), is a champion and is an advanced stat marvel. We know what Jokic looks like in this era, he is the best player in the league by probably a sizeable margin.

If Im starting a team in today's game. Ya give me Jokic knowing what his floor is in today's league.

This is the correct answer, imo.

The OP was pretty clear in their criteria. Starting a team in 2024 is part of the criteria and, as you said, we already know how Jokic looks like in this era. We already know how dominant he is. There's no need for projection, no uncertainty at all. So, if we were to approach this logically and non-emotionally, he should be the clear pick.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,985

Post#44 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:53 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:I'm very high on Jokic but Shaq is literally one of the only guys who were clearly better

very hard to compare between eras but I think in this day and age, with so much more money involved as well, Shaq would have alot more incentive to actually stay fit and professional

social media too, would put alot of pressure on a guy like Shaq
he'd be unstoppable

with modern coaching, schemes, medicine, shooting mechanics and analytics there would really be no answer for a more professional and well conditioned version of Shaq

Shaq has been struggling with his weight all of his life. Including now. What makes you think this changes

The extra benefitted him under the old rule set?
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,873

Post#45 » by JJ_PR » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:01 am

Joker, without a doubt. Orlando Shaq was basically a taller Dwight Howard; he used his physical ability to dominate. I don't think that style of play is as effective in the modern NBA.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,742

Post#46 » by Patches Perry » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:10 am

Comparing great players outside of their eras to great players in their own era will almost always go to the great player in their own era. I'd take Shaq easily in 2001 but Jokic easily in 2024.

I have serious questions about how Shaq would translate into the modern game. That doesn't take anything away from him because he didn't play in the modern game and therefore doesn't get judged against it unless the hypothetical specifically asks for it.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,836

Post#47 » by Nuntius » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:12 am

Patches Perry wrote:Comparing great players outside of their eras to great players in their own era will almost always go to the great player in their own era. I'd take Shaq easily in 2001 but Jokic easily in 2024.

Exactly.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
GameChannel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,061

Post#48 » by GameChannel » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:20 am

I'd take Jokic. He gets the edge purely based on the fact that there's no drama with him and he comes prepared and in shape for the season. Shaq was not nearly as disciplined and lacked the drive.
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 5,971

Post#49 » by Exp0sed » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:28 am

GameChannel wrote:I'd take Jokic. He gets the edge purely based on the fact that there's no drama with him and he comes prepared and in shape for the season. Shaq was not nearly as disciplined and lacked the drive.

I hadn't considered the "no drama" part, it's actually an awesome argument for Jokic. I think Shaq at his best was a better player but honestly, he'd be a lazy drama queen in every era and Jokic is basically the least high maintenance superstar, ever.

for a franchise making such a decision (to build around one or the other), Jokic is just much more likely to be content and motivated

15 years of each, i'd probably take Shaq but with Jokic you have a much higher chance of actually retaining him throughout, it'd be nearly impossible with Shaq
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,455

Post#50 » by nate33 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:38 am

It was very difficult to get Shaq to play "the right way". He was usually lazy on defense and a mediocre passer. Phil Jackson managed to reach him for about 2.5 years, but that's it. The rest of his career, he was not the best he could be. I'd definitely prefer Jokic. He elevates his teammates more, he motivates his teammates to play unselfishly, and he has the versatility to coexist alongside any type of offensive player. He is also more durable.
Yoshun
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,745

Post#51 » by Yoshun » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 am

Exp0sed wrote:
Yoshun wrote:I'd take Shaq, he's the better defender.

Anyone who pretends this "isn't close" doesn't know what they're talking about. This is a tough call.

I have Shaq but "better defender" might be the last argument i'd use tbh
rookie Shaq could def hang but Lakers Shaq would be a defensive liability. sure he can protect the rim much better than Jokic but that's that..in all other facets of a modern defense - Jokic is better

Shaq was abused in the PNR even back in the day
Jokic might have a slow first step but he can sprint pretty fast tbh and he is a workhorse. Shaq was lazy, you really think Shaq would be closing out on 3 pt shooters? half ass*d at best :)

still Shaq for me, but def not because of "defense"

Jokic is already posing a huge issue for switch heavy modern schemes, imagine switching everything and have Shaq guarded by a guard inside haha. in short - teams would have to change their whole defense, there's no way you can switch everything with Shaq around

I agree it's a problem, as you said, it's a problem for Jokic too. Shaq was an elite rim protector and shot blocker though. So yes, defense.
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,674

Post#52 » by srhcan » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:06 am

moderndarwin wrote:If you were the GM and you had to build out for the next 15 years. Guaranteed they stay with you. You’ll build the team out around them and currently have let’s say top 5 shooting and good starters currently. You won’t get another top 5 draft pick but you’ll get 10-30 normal sort of picks from here on out depending how things go.

Do you take Joker or Shaq? They’ll both be 20 in the first season

definitely Shaq. Such a physical freak of nature.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,363

Post#53 » by Black Jack » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:26 am

Shaq was better but also super annoying and temperamental. I'll take Jokic because he won't opt out and run to LA/Miami to live the superstar life. Assuming my team isn't in one of those two places.

Also Shaq was very abusive to teammates and Jokic just is there basically. You could pair anyone with Jokic but Shaq will run certain guys away based on his bullying personality.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,698

Post#54 » by sikma42 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:24 am

nate33 wrote:It was very difficult to get Shaq to play "the right way". He was usually lazy on defense and a mediocre passer. Phil Jackson managed to reach him for about 2.5 years, but that's it. The rest of his career, he was not the best he could be. I'd definitely prefer Jokic. He elevates his teammates more, he motivates his teammates to play unselfishly, and he has the versatility to coexist alongside any type of offensive player. He is also more durable.

Shaq was a mediocre passer?

lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,577

Post#55 » by lonzo_pelota » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:36 am

Lakers bias aside, I choose Shaq , Jokic is good and a current force to be reckoned with, but Shaq is the only player that had a go to move of a low post drop step dunk and could defend the best centers of his generation as well as drop 30 or 40 on em. If his free throw pct was higher this arguably wouldn't even be a poll and he'd probably have another championship or two or more on his mantle. And If jokic had shaq's athleticism he would be my pick because his game is more versatile.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 8,359

Post#56 » by AleksandarN » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:42 am

sikma42 wrote:
nate33 wrote:It was very difficult to get Shaq to play "the right way". He was usually lazy on defense and a mediocre passer. Phil Jackson managed to reach him for about 2.5 years, but that's it. The rest of his career, he was not the best he could be. I'd definitely prefer Jokic. He elevates his teammates more, he motivates his teammates to play unselfishly, and he has the versatility to coexist alongside any type of offensive player. He is also more durable.

Shaq was a good passer but a mediocre playmaker.
moderndarwin
Rookie
And1: 1,193

Post#57 » by moderndarwin » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:56 am

Joker would foul out in first half trying to guard Shaq. Shaq on the other could pretty fairly easily guard Joker. Hes stronger, faster, bigger. Joker feasts because he usually is bigger than guys so can either post them and happens to also be way more skilled so can make a variety of shots. The closest we’ve seen is Embiid. And Joker one on one with Embiid and when their teams plays is pretty much an even matchup. No one can objectively say he outplays Embiid. He’d get absolutely ragdolled by Shaq.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,578

Post#58 » by Devilanche » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:26 am

Nuntius wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:Comparing great players outside of their eras to great players in their own era will almost always go to the great player in their own era. I'd take Shaq easily in 2001 but Jokic easily in 2024.

Exactly.

Yeap. Can’t assume that Shaq magically stay in shape this era and improve his work rate/shooting.

Both would still be a hell of a centerpiece though.
Yearly contender with either .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
LaLover11
Rookie
And1: 726

Post#59 » by LaLover11 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:41 am

Give me Wemby
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,455

Post#60 » by nate33 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:38 am

sikma42 wrote:

relative to Jokic, at least.

Return to The General Board