Anybody else think the TWolves match up well with the Nuggets?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who you got?

Wolves
50%
Nuggets
50%

Total votes: 72

jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,641

Re: Anybody else think the TWolves match up well with the Nuggets? 

Post#61 » by jpatrick » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:07 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
jpatrick wrote:As a Minnesota fan, I do think the Wolves are by far Denver’s biggest challenge in the West. That said, I’d still favor the Nuggets, especially with home court.

It comes down to making shots. The Wolves will put Gobert on Gordon and let him lurk. If Gordon can’t make shots and Murray doesn’t go on a heater for a few games, Minnesota will win. Jokic is going to put up huge numbers no matter what. He’s too good. Minnesota has to try and limit the supporting cast.

I think this "put your rim protector on a non-shooter and let him lurk" thing gets overstated by fans. This was the go-to strategy for a while, but it hasn't worked as a full solution since 2017 or 2018. The non-shooter (Aaron Gordon in this case) becomes a screener when you try this strategy. So Gordon goes and sets screens for Murray, and if Gobert is just "lurking" in the paint, that's a wide open shot for Denver. Yes, the Wolves will probably put Gobert on Gordon, but that wont allow Gobert to hang out in the paint. Guarding Gordon means being responsible for harassing the any ball handler Gordon screens for.

Guarding Gordon will allow Gobert some ability to stay closer to the paint, but it's not a full-time solution on its own. It's great because it means Gordon can't do his thing in the dunker spot, which takes away Denver's favorite configuration late in games. But Denver will try to drag Gobert and Conley into as much screen navigation as they can. Minnesota has been plenty good at doing this too.

Wolves are a serious defensive obstacle for Denver to get by. I'm with you in that I still favor the Nuggets overall.

I think this is true but two things make the strategy more feasible for Minnesota than most teams. First, MN’s perimeter players are some of the best at getting over screens and staying attached to their man in the league (Ant, McDaniels, NAW). Conley less so, but I doubt they put Conley on Murray or whoever Denver would want to play pick and roll with. Ant, in my opinion, is the best 1-on-1 defender in the league when locked in on that end. During the regular season that might only be in the fourth quarter; but during the playoffs, it’s obviously been game long.

Second, when Rudy would have to come out to the perimeter, he’s much better than given credit for; and he will switch to a guard, especially late in the clock.

Like it said, I still favor the Nugs but Minnesota is their most problematic matchup in the West.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,336

Post#62 » by sfernald » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:11 pm

Yuri36 wrote:
sfernald wrote:
Ray Donovan wrote:What about Mavs , can they beat Okc then can Denver beat Minnesota ?

Mavs beating Okc is a long shot, Okc looking like they have three stars and Shai way more efficient than Doncic right now. Is Doncic even healthy?

lol it seems like you like others have already forgotten the lesson OKC took from a full strength Mavs team few weeks ago.

You mean the game where Okc won 135-86?
ChipotleWest
Analyst
And1: 3,186

Post#63 » by ChipotleWest » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:12 pm

Keep in mind that in last years playoffs Wolves were without Nazi Reid and Jaden McDaniels, and then Anderson got hurt in Game 4. Not saying they definitely would have won last year but they didn't get them at full strength like they will this year and now Ant is a year older. (still only 22)
ChipotleWest
Analyst

Post#64 » by ChipotleWest » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:14 pm

sfernald wrote:
Yuri36 wrote:
sfernald wrote:
Mavs beating Okc is a long shot, Okc looking like they have three stars and Shai way more efficient than Doncic right now. Is Doncic even healthy?

lol it seems like you like others have already forgotten the lesson OKC took from a full strength Mavs team few weeks ago.

Mavs didn't play anybody that game they didn't care to try to win it because they had already locked up #5 seed. Why would you even bring that up? This is who the Mavs started that game

O. Prosper
T. Hardaway Jr.
D. Powell
J. Green
J. Hardy

When both teams were at full strength Mavs won 146-111.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,136

Post#65 » by Laimbeer » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:19 pm

Flavor of the week.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,859

Post#66 » by cupcakesnake » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:09 pm

LaLover11 wrote:
Great answer and very detailed response

My take is this about the Timberwolves vs Nuggets

Some of these things sound good but they're theories that don't sounds based on how the games have actually gone between the Nuggets and either the Lakers or Wolves.

You said you can put Towns on Jokic... If the Wolves do that, you can bet Towns will get in foul trouble instantly which would take away your Best Front Court offensive player. AD can actually almost Defend Jokic 1vs1 because he's a DPOY candidate.

There is no question that AD is a vastly superior defensive player than KAT, but this doesn't track at all.

Towns has been quite solid against Jokic in their matchups the past 2 seasons. KAT's defensive struggles are against speed and change of direction (and making backline reads). None of these weaknesses matter in the Jokic matchup, as Jokic is slow as molasses and beats you with strength and skill. Towns is the same size as Joker, and does a perfectly solid job bodying him in the post, using length to contest, and preventing Joker's easy back downs.

By contrast, I don't think AD defends Joker well at all. AD's strength are his long, athletic rim protection, and amazing mobility that allows him to switch matchups and recover to play help from all over the floor. He's so good at the most important defensive skills. But he's not very big or strong (6'9.25" and 250lbs.) so he can't keep Joker away from the backbone. Jokic has typically gotten whatever he's wanted against AD if they play one-on-one. We've been watching this for years and I do not see how anyone can argue otherwise. One-on-one defense against a 7 footer with 30-40 lbs. on him is not AD's best defensive situation. This isn't a knock. Bam Adebayo couldn't guard Jokic either, due to size.

If you put Gobert on Jokic now you have no interior defense vs Nuggets Slashers KCP/Braun and will definitely not have anyone able to stop Gordon in the dunker position getting Alleys and Quick Layups and Monster Dunks.

Jokic can also just shoot over Gobert/Towns at the 3pt line and there's nothing Minnesota can do about it.

Well I doubt we put Gobert on Jokic as a primary assignment, so I don't see why this matters? Even if we were, the rest of what you said isn't true. The Wolves play 2 bigs so they always have multiple rim protectors. Naz and Towns aren't elite rim protectors, but they're still big bodies that are adequate. A big strength of this defensive roster is that Gobert is allowed to leave the paint because he have a second big there.

If KCP and Braun operating as slashers is our main weakness... I think we'll be fine!

Jokic doesn't love to shoot a million 3s. He likes it as a counter, or to punish you for playing too much drop. Towns has been quite good all season with his perimeter defense. You do realize he's guarding Kevin Durant in the Suns series, right? You think Jokic as a perimeter shooter is going to be impossible?

Murray will hunt Conley all game and will most likely get the switch with Jokic hand off Screens which is BBQ chicken all day. Murray is struggling because of AD's Quickness helping DLo/Reaves defend him in the paint
Gobert is clumsy and very slow vs guards in the perimeter 100% If McDaniels tries to help defense... Porter JR is getting 30 pts easily

This is nonsense.
Conley is small but he's a really good defender. Phoenix keeps trying to hunt him and it goes miserably. Not only do the Wolves position him well so it's hard to hunt that switch, but even in switches, he tends to survive. Conley is vulnerable against big wings more than quick guards like Murray. I think Conley will spend lots of time on Murray as part of our game plan.

You're really not watching the Suns series if you think the Wolves defense is vulnerable to DHO action and screens. The Wolves have been absolutely clamping the exact actions you're talking about.

Gobert isn't clumsy or slow. I get that he looks awkward, but anyone who's watched Gobert this year (or just look at the numbers if you dont want to watch), knows that guards get nothing on Gobert switches. It's not pretty but he's really hard to shoot over or get a step on.

KCP will do so much better than Beal/Booker/Durant vs Edwards.

Yes the Nuggets in general are a better defensive team than the Suns. Not just KCP. I think Denver is going to do way better stopping our offense.

Porter JR is going to keep McDaniels so busy he won't be able to help anybody with Murray whatsoever

Right...McDaniels is having zero struggles against Booker and Durant but Porter JR is an IMPOSSIBLE problem for him!

If Edwards starts doing that ego full court defense like I've seen him do vs the Suns he's going to get in foul trouble and Nuggets will catch the Wolves out of position

What are you basing this on?
Ant hasn't had big foul trouble problems.

Wolves have No Playoff experience winning at all
They haven't experienced dealing with Playoff pressure
When Jokic is getting 35pts/14rebs/14 ast and Porter JR hitting daggers that will frustrate the whole inexperienced Timberwolves.

I guess we'll see how it goes. These aren't really strategic observations. I do think Denver is likely to win the series. Our discussion here is about whether the Wolves are a better matchup than the Lakers.

I will point out that the Wolves have way more experience beating the Nuggets ;)
Even in the playoffs, it's taken your Lakers 2 years to match our playoff experience at beating the Nuggets ;)

Hopefully we won't have to experience this scenario because the Lakers are winning the Series in 7

Best of luck.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
ChipotleWest
Analyst

Post#67 » by ChipotleWest » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:16 pm

I just don't think Denver has had a real test yet. Last year's Wolves Ant was 21 and missing both Naz Reid and Jaden McDaniels and Anderson got hurt in Game 4. This year they're at full strength. Then they swept the Lakers last year and up 3-1 this year. Dominated them this year while Murray hasn't even had a good game yet. They also beat the Suns with old Paul and achilles Durant and playoff choking Booker, then the Heat who were one of the biggest upsets of all time to even get there.

If they run the gauntlet this year of Wolves OKC or Mavs and Boston then they run the NBA right now and are probably going to be a dynasty. I'm not saying it's impossible they might but I predict they'll lose one of those series. We'll see.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,336

Post#68 » by sfernald » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:21 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
sfernald wrote:
Yuri36 wrote:

Mavs didn't play anybody that game they didn't care to try to win it because they had already locked up #5 seed. Why would you even bring that up? This is who the Mavs started that game

O. Prosper
T. Hardaway Jr.
D. Powell
J. Green
J. Hardy

When both teams were at full strength Mavs won 146-111.

So Okc won the series 3-1 and you are cherry picking the one game that Mavs won lol. Regular season doesn’t even matter anyway but you go ahead and believe wherever you want.
Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,588

Re: how do the wolves match up with denver? 

Post#69 » by Ugly Duckling » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:34 am

kazyv wrote:
MrGoat wrote:Ant and KAT are playing better with more playoff experience this time. I think KAT is the X factor here. If Jamal Murray doesn't find his superstar form that he's had in former playoffs again Denver is potentially vulnerable

i agree. denver matches up well with the wolves if mpj can just guard KAT and do well, so the main defensive focus can be on ANT. if KAT forces some match up trouble, obviously it may not be quite as easy for denver to cover all their bases. but that's assuming they even have to put gordon on ANT, maybe KCP can deal with him well enough. overall, i'd say it's a fairly even matchup that favors denver because they have the best player.

good call. somehow i forgot about mpj as a defender now that he's looking agile and healthy. bro can def make it tough on kat
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
Ugly Duckling
Analyst

Post#70 » by Ugly Duckling » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:42 am

ChipotleWest wrote:I just don't think Denver has had a real test yet. Last year's Wolves Ant was 21 and missing both Naz Reid and Jaden McDaniels and Anderson got hurt in Game 4. This year they're at full strength. Then they swept the Lakers last year and up 3-1 this year. Dominated them this year while Murray hasn't even had a good game yet. They also beat the Suns with old Paul and achilles Durant and playoff choking Booker, then the Heat who were one of the biggest upsets of all time to even get there.

If they run the gauntlet this year of Wolves OKC or Mavs and Boston then they run the NBA right now and are probably going to be a dynasty. I'm not saying it's impossible they might but I predict they'll lose one of those series. We'll see.

i don't think it's either or. they could win again given how great joker is and then lose next yr when's he's 30 and ant makes another leap. okc will be better across the board as well. can't count out the mavs either
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
Ugly Duckling
Analyst

Post#71 » by Ugly Duckling » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:45 am

_AIJ_ wrote:You had me at Blue Arrow. Sorry but that "nickname" is not it. lmao

you crazy i love that
Ugly Duckling
Analyst

Post#72 » by Ugly Duckling » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:48 am

GSP wrote:Of all 4 series Jokic played last year his worst was against Wolves. He still balled b/c hes unstoppable but he shot a .575ts that series and he shot .701ts that season and was in that range every other series

Nuggets are also WORSE w.o Brown or Jeff Green. They got 5 bench points tonight and have statistically had a bottom 5 bench all season

Series last year was a possession away from going 6 and Denver had a better team w/ Brown and Jeff and Wolves didnt have Naz Reid OR Jaden Mcdaniels that series. Murray has a far tougher time w/ Jaden guarding him and thats 2 of their top 5 players in general. Naz just won 6moy too.

Wolves in 6 if it happens but Denver can still lose this series

no way was denver better last season. mpj wasn't fully healthy/confident like he is now. it feels like aaron gordon has gotten better as well. brown is good but hasn't been all that this season. they are lacking some depth tho
Ugly Duckling
Analyst

Post#73 » by Ugly Duckling » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:52 am

UcanUwill wrote:If I am Nuggets, I would start to worry a bit. If odds were really good, I could easily talk myself into placing a bet on Minny winning, to make it more engaging for me.
Not only they have bigs, but who the hell guards Ant? If Nuggets beat Wolves, I think they ultimately win championship.

um aaron gordon? now how well he can guard him is the question, but no one can really guard ant. gordon has a good a shot at it as anyone
ChipotleWest
Analyst

Post#74 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:54 am

Ugly Duckling wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:I just don't think Denver has had a real test yet. Last year's Wolves Ant was 21 and missing both Naz Reid and Jaden McDaniels and Anderson got hurt in Game 4. This year they're at full strength. Then they swept the Lakers last year and up 3-1 this year. Dominated them this year while Murray hasn't even had a good game yet. They also beat the Suns with old Paul and achilles Durant and playoff choking Booker, then the Heat who were one of the biggest upsets of all time to even get there.

i don't think it's either or. they could win again given how great joker is and then lose next yr when's he's 30 and ant makes another leap. okc will be better across the board as well. can't count out the mavs either

As long as Jason Kidd is the coach Mavs are nothing. He literally cost them a win today.
Ugly Duckling
Analyst

Post#75 » by Ugly Duckling » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:11 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
Ugly Duckling wrote:

As long as Jason Kidd is the coach Mavs are nothing. He literally cost them a win today.

lol why do you say that? it was one game. their adjustment was to come out hard, get some separation, take it easy as their guys are old and put their foot on the gas again in the 4th. it worked because pg was playing out of his mind. he can't do that every game. kyrie is too good. so is luka. i think zubac bothered him. they need to work on pick and roll. you guys could win it all this yr fr
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,163

Post#76 » by Lalouie » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:28 am

no one matches up well with jokic

the wolves are a defensive team that beat an offensive phx that can only outscore it's opponent to win...phx has literally nothing else.

the nuggets don't rely on scoring offense AND THEY'RE SMART,,,, and Denver has home
Ugly Duckling
Analyst

Post#77 » by Ugly Duckling » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:22 am

it's over. barring injury, the wolves will win multiple titles starting from this yr. we're looking at the next dynasty folks. ant is too good. someone said mj with a 3 ball /thread
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,858

Post#78 » by thinktank » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:50 am

Lalouie wrote:no one matches up well with jokic

the wolves are a defensive team that beat an offensive phx that can only outscore it's opponent to win...phx has literally nothing else.

the nuggets don't rely on scoring offense AND THEY'RE SMART,,,, and Denver has home

I think you’ve been perhaps the most wrong poster on the whole boarding regarding the Timberwolves.

And that’s very impressive, considering almost everyone has been wrong about us. ;)
“Tatum is garbage.” “Tatum is literally dogcrap.” -The Corey’s
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,163

Post#79 » by Lalouie » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:14 am

thinktank wrote:

I think you’ve been perhaps the most wrong poster on the whole boarding regarding the Timberwolves.

And that’s very impressive, considering almost everyone has been wrong about us. ;)

thanks
but seeing as how the wolves are the least team on my mind other than detroit, atl, orl, and the bulls,,,i don't remember saying anything about them, and if i did i put it in the trash bin long ago
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,858

Post#80 » by thinktank » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:29 am

Lalouie wrote:
thinktank wrote:

thanks
but seeing as how the wolves are the least team on my mind other than detroit, atl, orl, and the bulls,,,i don't remember saying anything about them, and if i did i put it in the trash bin long ago

Will you remember this take? :lol:
“Tatum is garbage.” “Tatum is literally dogcrap.” -The Corey’s

Return to The General Board