Spurs should go after Darius Garland over Trae

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Re: Spurs should go after Darius Garland over Trae 

Post#21 » by giberish » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:28 pm

G R E Y wrote:I like Garland's game but as someone mentioned, with Mitchell's status in the air, Garland is solid insurance. It would take a lot for Cavs to even consider parting with him, all the more so should Mitchell leave.

Imperfect analogy, but if someone really likes their house and doesn't want to move they're really going to have to be blown away by the offer to be incentivized to even consider it.

If a guy isn't on the market, it really doesn't matter what a fair value offer is. Trey may be on the market, so there's talk of trading for him. Garland doesn't look to be on the market so there's no talk about trading for him.
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,156

Post#22 » by Iwasawitness » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:32 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
There are degrees to things.
Garland isn't a great defender but he's way way way better than Trae.
Trae has been more productive than Garland, but I do think Garland has a more fluid adaptable game. Trae likes to spam actions where Garland can play within the flow of an offense. One of the things Trae's teams struggle with is how to blend him into a team concept. It's Trae-ball or nothing. Garland has no such struggles.

This. Garland would actually thrive in the Spurs system especially with his off ball play.

The problem is… how does SA pull off such a trade? There’s nothing on the team really that would interest the Cavs unless the Spurs give up this years draft pick… which is going to be a high one.

Devin Vassell averaged 20 ppg and shot 37% from 3 this season, is 23 and on a good contract.
The Cavs wouldn't be interested in that?
(Not that I think the Spurs should trade him but I could see him being the centerpiece in such a trade).

Cleveland probably wants more than that.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
Bloodbather
Sophomore
And1: 428

Post#23 » by Bloodbather » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:33 pm

They should trade for Trae. I doubt they will, but he'd truly move the needle for the Spurs. Perfect fit for Wemby on offense, just a master pick 'n' roll runner and lob thrower. He blows defensively, but if there's anyone that can cover for his lack of POA defense, it's Wemby. They'd just need to find a perimeter defender to pair him up with so that the POA defense doesn't suck too much.

Trae has a lot of weaknesses in his game, but I feel like his performance in carrying the Hawks to the Conference Finals a couple of years back has been forgotten about.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,761

Post#24 » by One_and_Done » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:23 pm

Spurs are not going to trade for guys like Trae or Garland because their teams want too much. They'd be more likely to try and sign Mitchell
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,520

Post#25 » by CIN-C-STAR » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:45 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
This. Garland would actually thrive in the Spurs system especially with his off ball play.

The problem is… how does SA pull off such a trade? There’s nothing on the team really that would interest the Cavs unless the Spurs give up this years draft pick… which is going to be a high one.

Devin Vassell averaged 20 ppg and shot 37% from 3 this season, is 23 and on a good contract.
(Not that I think the Spurs should trade him but I could see him being the centerpiece in such a trade).

Yes, of course they would.
Which is why I don't think the Spurs should do it.
I was simply refuting the notion that the Spurs have nothing the Cavs would be interested in outside of draft capital (which they have a lot of).
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Iwasawitness
Veteran

Post#26 » by Iwasawitness » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:43 am

CIN-C-STAR wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:

Yes, of course they would.
Which is why I don't think the Spurs should do it.
I was simply refuting the notion that the Spurs have nothing the Cavs would be interested in outside of draft capital (which they have a lot of).

I guess you have a point regarding Vassell. I just think the Cavs have different people in mind.

I’m sure they’re going to be eying the situation in Brooklyn carefully and seeing what they can get for Mikal Bridges. Miami has done really good players that would fit Cleveland nicely too. It all just depends on what Cleveland’s willing to give up.

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,849

Post#27 » by dockingsched » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:52 am

Spurs would be foolish to start trading away assets and bringing on big long term contracts for good but ultimately limited flawed players like Garland.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
BrianInPhilly
Senior
And1: 757

Post#28 » by BrianInPhilly » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:23 am

Interesting idea. Personally I think the Spurs should move their 1st round this year, especially if it's in the 3-5 range. Why? Because Wemby is ready to win right now, Vassell is going into his 4th year also, I don't think they want to wait for a rookie 3-5 years to enter his prime. Should trade it for a legit PG right now.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#29 » by JShuttlesworth » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:28 am

jpatrick wrote:With all the rumors of Mitchell not wanting to stay longterm in Cleveland, why would they trade Garland?

This.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,203

Post#30 » by G R E Y » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:34 am

dockingsched wrote:Spurs would be foolish to start trading away assets and bringing on big long term contracts for good but ultimately limited flawed players like Garland.

All the more so Trae.

Yes he's never had an All Star beside him, but he's too expensive, both trade cost and contract, for the known deficiencies in his game.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Iwasawitness
Veteran

Post#31 » by Iwasawitness » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:09 am

G R E Y wrote:
dockingsched wrote:Spurs would be foolish to start trading away assets and bringing on big long term contracts for good but ultimately limited flawed players like Garland.

All the more so Trae.

Yes he's never had an All Star beside him, but he's too expensive, both trade cost and contract, for the known deficiencies in his game.

The thing is, people aren’t being fair to garland here.

They’re basing him on how he’s played THIS season, where he had incredibly inconsistent playing time due to injuries. Two years ago there was talk of him being a rising star in the league. That can still happen, he’s still extremely young with a lot of room to grow.

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 92,819

Post#32 » by Capn'O » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:29 am

That would be a good trade if they could make it.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,414

Post#33 » by JustBuzzin » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:42 am

It would be a gamble, but they should trade for LaMelo Ball.

Gambling on LaMelo's health is a huge risk though. The fit would be perfect though.
uncleduck13
Junior
And1: 341

Post#34 » by uncleduck13 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:45 am

JustBuzzin wrote:It would be a gamble, but they should trade for LaMelo Ball.

Gambling on LaMelo's health is a huge risk though. The fit would be perfect though.

Yeah I think he would be the absolute BEST PG to pair alongside Wemby (if healthy)
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,730

Post#35 » by Roger Murdock » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:52 am

Garland is one of the best bigs in the NBA utilizing big men. He'd be fantastic in San Antonio.

Cavs need a real coach to bring value back to their players though. JB is worse than bad.
noreaster23
Sophomore
And1: 240

Post#36 » by noreaster23 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:35 am

It should be illegal to start a thread by suggesting a team trade for a guy without proposing an actual trade that would make sense for both teams.

Regarding Garland and Trae, the Spurs would be foolish to trade for either right now. Trae has serious flaws and has been a toxic presence in Atlanta. Garland is fine, but has struggled since Mitchell's arrival. Either are hardly worth the max they're being paid.

SA should focus on drafting well and placing high quality role players around Wemby. If the team makes significant improvement this year then they could focus on making a big trade the following year or two. Preferably for someone who isn't a sieve on defense. Imagine how amazing they'd be with a pg who could play some defense!
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,433

Post#37 » by Oscirus » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:39 am

Why not go after mitchell?
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
uncleduck13
Junior
And1: 341

Post#38 » by uncleduck13 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:47 am

Oscirus wrote:Why not go after mitchell?

I think the idea is to pair Wemby with a guy who would focus on getting him the ball and creating easy opportunities for him. Someone who would come in and not try to be the first option.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,028

Post#39 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:21 am

I don't see why they need to go after anyone. They have a lottery pick and there's several good young point guards to choose from that fit the timeline. If they want a PG like Trae just draft Dillingham. If they want a PG like Garland just draft McCain, Sheppard, Carter or Kolek.
Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,588

Post#40 » by Ugly Duckling » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:30 am

darius garland is good, but no one fits with wemby like trae. trae weakness is his size and lack of defense, both of which the sheer presence of wemby will neutralize. trae is an elite passer and shooter. the pick and roll will be literally unstoppable
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.

Return to The General Board