House of the falling Sun.

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,234

Re: House of the falling Sun. 

Post#121 » by NYPiston » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:53 pm

The NBA is starting to gravitate away from the Super Team thing while the Suns gravitated towards it. They had a good thing going with the young homegrown core but panicked and decided to go (faded) star shopping.
Edrock
Rookie
And1: 215

Post#122 » by Edrock » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:58 pm

The Magic should trade for Booker. Don't even need to match salaries w/their caproom this summer.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,464

Post#123 » by CBS7 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:27 pm

The Beal move was always horrible.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,787

Post#124 » by sunsbum » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:49 pm

KD and Book played really well off eachother last year. I know its easy to forget after that Dallas blowout and now this disastrous season but Durant and Booker were monsters in '23 playoffs. They've shown they can play together at a high level.
I hate this team.
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 906

Post#125 » by Special_Puppy » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:58 pm

Am I dumb for thinking this team can make the finals next year?
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 844

Post#126 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:00 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:Am I dumb for thinking this team can make the finals next year?

Why would they be better next year?

Durant should be worse next year, as should Nurkic and Royce O'Neale.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,321

Post#127 » by enigmatics » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:01 pm

Bruin wrote:The KD trade was such a horrible move for them. They had a strong young core that could’ve had a window for several years. Traded it all away for washed up talent.

I remember when people were praising James Jones for building a juggernaut lmfao

That was no window my friend - even though the media was trying to push that narrative.

They were a flash in the pan team who were graced by the injury gods in that run to the finals - ultimately getting exposed in a backdoor sweep. CP3 was the engine that made it go and as we all saw his age caught up to him real quick.

That core was gutless when it mattered. Very likeable, but gutless. Everything you'd want in a treadmill team. All the players from that team who were sent away have literally done nothing.
GameChannel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,097

Post#128 » by GameChannel » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:47 pm

Spurs offer 4 first picks plus Collins, Branham, expirings for Booker. Pick him up at the SA airport tomorrow.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,794

Post#129 » by Pointgod » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:36 pm

shi-woo wrote:Why people trashing the KD trade, it honestly wasn't that bad. KD and Booker looked legit and were able to play off each other well from the games I watched.

Trading for Beal was horrible, made no sense, and they sold as low as you can go on Ayton too.

I'm not sure what the relationship was like, but idk why they got rid of Paul. He still could have been an effective player. and given Book and KDs ability to run the offense, they didn't need him to play 35+ minutes every night.

The Ayton trade actually was decent looking back on it, as both Nurk and Allen were awesome for them this year. Bringing in Gordon and Royce was also solid. The bench wasn't bad, and all of Rody, Bol, Little, Drew, and Okogie have made other teams rotations. They just never found a spot for most of those guys.

That Beal trade man.

Nurk- Eubanks
KD- Royce- Rody
Book- Okogie- Little
Allen- EG
Paul

That team just looks so much better and more balanced. Feel bad for Sun fans

I mean that team with Chris Paul constantly injured only looks marginally better than the current team. Bridges and Cam Johnson aren’t exactly lighting it up on the Nets, Paul was injured in Golden State and Ayton was flat out terrible in Portland. I don’t think if the Suns had kept the original team they’re in a much better position, only difference is they’d have all of their draft picks.

There’s just too much talent in the NBA for teams to completely throw together 3 superstars with zero depth, needless to say these superstars never really fit together either
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,624

Post#130 » by shi-woo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:56 pm

Pointgod wrote:
shi-woo wrote:Why people trashing the KD trade, it honestly wasn't that bad. KD and Booker looked legit and were able to play off each other well from the games I watched.

Trading for Beal was horrible, made no sense, and they sold as low as you can go on Ayton too.

I'm not sure what the relationship was like, but idk why they got rid of Paul. He still could have been an effective player. and given Book and KDs ability to run the offense, they didn't need him to play 35+ minutes every night.

The Ayton trade actually was decent looking back on it, as both Nurk and Allen were awesome for them this year. Bringing in Gordon and Royce was also solid. The bench wasn't bad, and all of Rody, Bol, Little, Drew, and Okogie have made other teams rotations. They just never found a spot for most of those guys.

That Beal trade man.

Nurk- Eubanks
KD- Royce- Rody
Book- Okogie- Little
Allen- EG
Paul

I mean that team with Chris Paul constantly injured only looks marginally better than the current team. Bridges and Cam Johnson aren’t exactly lighting it up on the Nets, Paul was injured in Golden State and Ayton was flat out terrible in Portland. I don’t think if the Suns had kept the original team they’re in a much better position, only difference is they’d have all of their draft picks.

There’s just too much talent in the NBA for teams to completely throw together 3 superstars with zero depth, needless to say these superstars never really fit together either

I liked the Ayton and KD trades though.

My question to Suns fans was why do the CP3 trade, unless the relationship was really that sour? At worst it could have been used as an expiring later on or for a 2 for 1 trade like Ayton.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,003

Post#131 » by Apz » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:33 pm

Dont think mavs would do it, but suns could try a KD+24+31 for Kyrie. Would balance them and give them ballhandling and real rimpressure. But as said, think mavs fans and staff/leadership just love kyrie too much. But theoreticly it would kinda balance both teams, but think mavs would be worse

Edit. The mavs were slaughtered for the kyrie trade, but it feels like the only real star trade lately that worked out? Lillard fail, KD fail and so on. Well, if just judging harden for last game that looks like it can work out
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,794

Post#132 » by Pointgod » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:09 pm

shi-woo wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

That Beal trade man.

Nurk- Eubanks
KD- Royce- Rody
Book- Okogie- Little
Allen- EG
Paul

My question to Suns fans was why do the CP3 trade, unless the relationship was really that sour? At worst it could have been used as an expiring later on or for a 2 for 1 trade like Ayton.

I think the KD trade was fine. I was critical of the Ayton trade but he turned out to be a complete sack of ****. The thinking behind the Beal trade is that Phoenix is over the tax anyways and Beal is 10 years younger than Paul. He’s just been a complete and utter disappointment the whole season. The theory with Beal is that the Suns should at least be able to out score the majority of teams, but while the Ayton trade was the right move it left the team unbalanced and small defensively. Beal has completely been a miss due to his injuries and **** play
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,787

Post#133 » by sunsbum » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:20 pm

shi-woo wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

That Beal trade man.

Nurk- Eubanks
KD- Royce- Rody
Book- Okogie- Little
Allen- EG
Paul

Yea there wasn't a whole lot of clarity on CP. I think both parties got bad over night and things just kind of deteriorated. Chris thought that Isiah Thomas was in Ishbias ear and running things, I think there was talk of maybe Paul taking a lesser role and coming off the bench and he wasn't having that. Of course theres always the fact that like clockwork he was injured in the playoffs. He was a really big reason why we've had a lot of success in phx the last few years, at the same time he couldn't stay healthy when we needed him. It wasn't really a bad move that we parted ways, but more of who we replaced him with.
I hate this team.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,037

Post#134 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:26 pm

Biff wrote:I just hope we blew this thing up entirely and try to get some assets back. If Ishbia tries to run this back we're gonna be screwed until the 2030's.

How do you blow it up when you don't own your own picks?

Nah, they aren't doing that, they are going to retool and try this again.
bluemj32
Rookie
And1: 1,008

Post#135 » by bluemj32 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:26 pm

WestbrookGOATed wrote:That trade for Beal has to go down as one of the all time worst.
PG13 says high too

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,707

Post#136 » by Invictus88 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:37 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Biff wrote:I just hope we blew this thing up entirely and try to get some assets back. If Ishbia tries to run this back we're gonna be screwed until the 2030's.

Don't feel so bad, half the raptors forum if not more would have made a worse deal for KD.

Retool with what?

They are so far over the apron that they don't have salary to sign better players. They are 9 digits over the cap and will have a luxury tax bill of 9 digits on top of that.
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/overview/_/year/2024

They've traded away pretty much every conceivable draft pick asset they had through 2030. (2 2nd rounders remaining; lower end of pick swaps for all the 1sts they couldn't fully deal away).
https://fanspo.com/nba/teams/Suns/24/draft-picks

They need to hope and pray this really is a situation where it was a coaching / scheme problem and the next guy can come in and do magic with what they currently have.
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,406

Post#137 » by magee » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:45 pm

When your PG options for this summer are Dinwiddie, Fultz and Reggie Jackson, with no signs of being able to get someone like Tyus Jones, you're in for another long season next year.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,037

Post#138 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:52 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Don't feel so bad, half the raptors forum if not more would have made a worse deal for KD.

Retool with what?

They are so far over the apron that they don't have salary to sign better players. They are 9 digits over the cap and will have a luxury tax bill of 9 digits on top of that.
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/overview/_/year/2024

They've traded away pretty much every conceivable draft pick asset they had through 2030. (2 2nd rounders remaining; lower end of pick swaps for all the 1sts they couldn't fully deal away).
https://fanspo.com/nba/teams/Suns/24/draft-picks

They need to hope and pray this really is a situation where it was a coaching / scheme problem and the next guy can come in and do magic with what they currently have.

I'm not sure how. They are going to have to get creative and lucky. Maybe they can find a taker for Beal for a group of players, or maybe they trade Durant even, but they don't trade all their stars and rebuild. And they don't make trades for just picks unless those picks are getting moved in another trade right away.

But the most likely way is small changes and run it back.
swyftdahoe
Senior
And1: 531

Post#139 » by swyftdahoe » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:55 pm

Why in the world did they trade for Beal again? Never made any sense.
flranger
Senior
And1: 828

Post#140 » by flranger » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:11 pm

slick_watts wrote:unless i'm mistaken, the suns won't have tax mle either because they are a 2nd apron team. also can't aggregate salaries in a trade.

Yeah that's the death nail. We are about to get a good lesson of better have your **** in order if you are going to hit the 2nd apron.

I do think they can trade for aggregated salaries (Durant for pieces as example), just cannot aggregate their own for a higher single salary.

Return to The General Board