House of the falling Sun.

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 752

Re: House of the falling Sun. 

Post#81 » by Charlesareed » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:08 am

Trading for KD was ok should’ve held out til the offseason where you could’ve gotten him for less the Beal trade was a stupid to being with he play the same position as your best player plus he’s always hurt & don’t play this is the KG Paul Pierce n Tx trade all over again :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chicago Raised me
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,286

Post#82 » by Dan Z » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:09 am

Mr Puddles wrote:
Lenneth wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:
Citizens or RealGM, I've seen this written about 10 times now.

The Suns have a first round pick in 2024, 2026,2028,2030.

They don't have a first round pick in 2025, 2027, 2029.

Technically they do... but, my God... look at all those teams with swap.

If my understanding is correct,

2024 - The worst from Wiz/Griz/Suns
2025- Gone
2026 - The worst from Wiz/Magic/Griz/Suns
2027 - Gone
2028 - The worst from Nets/Wiz/Suns
2029 - Gone
2030 - The worst from Wiz/Griz/Suns

Suns can't properly tank to rebuild with first round picks till 2030...

That's correct, the only caveat is that 2024 is already determined to be the Suns' own pick.

The suns are definitely not in a good position pick wise, I'm just responding to what keeps on being echoed about the Suns having no picks.

Like I said before, there is a big difference between having no picks over the next 7 drafts and having 4 picks (of which three may or may not be lower).

If the Suns wanted to, they could trade two first rounders this off-season, which again is a far cry from them not having any picks to trade.

Do you mean the 2024 pick (which would have to be traded after the Suns select for a team) and the 2031 pick?

It wouldn't make sense to trade either one, but I agree with your main point...the Suns do have picks and a little room to work with (just not a lot).
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,286

Post#83 » by Dan Z » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:10 am

tundraknight wrote:
Read on Twitter

I never understood why Washington gave him that contract. They were fortunate that the Suns bailed them out.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,303

Post#84 » by Mr Puddles » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:13 am

Dan Z wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:
Lenneth wrote:
Technically they do... but, my God... look at all those teams with swap.

If my understanding is correct,

2024 - The worst from Wiz/Griz/Suns
2025- Gone
2026 - The worst from Wiz/Magic/Griz/Suns
2027 - Gone
2028 - The worst from Nets/Wiz/Suns
2029 - Gone
2030 - The worst from Wiz/Griz/Suns

Suns can't properly tank to rebuild with first round picks till 2030...

That's correct, the only caveat is that 2024 is already determined to be the Suns' own pick.

The suns are definitely not in a good position pick wise, I'm just responding to what keeps on being echoed about the Suns having no picks.

Like I said before, there is a big difference between having no picks over the next 7 drafts and having 4 picks (of which three may or may not be lower).

If the Suns wanted to, they could trade two first rounders this off-season, which again is a far cry from them not having any picks to trade.

Do you mean the 2024 pick (which would have to be traded after the Suns select for a team) and the 2031 pick?

It wouldn't make sense to trade either one, but I agree with your main point...the Suns do have picks and a little room to work with (just not a lot).

Yes exactly, a draft day trade could be made with two picks (2024/2031).

I'm not saying it's the smart choice for the Suns, I'm just describing what their options are since some people seem to think they have zero picks available for the next 7 drafts. In cases of draft day trades, the team trading would typically be selecting for the team they're trading to.
Spoiler:
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,457

Post#85 » by whocurrz » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:20 am

The KD trade was a risky one but understandable at the time. You only have so many chances to win a title and the Suns were close but clearly needed one more piece. KD was a year removed from dominating in the playoffs (arguably the best player that playoffs) and no player of that caliber becomes available often (or has been available for trade since). I do believe though that they overpaid in terms of Future picks tho considering their window and the fact that they gave up quality players too in a deadline deal where the Nets leverage was dwindling and on the verge of being non~existent.

The acceptable risk of the trade hinged on a healthy CP3 in 2021-2022 form. This would have given them a great top 3 that complimented each other well and took pressure off of both KD and CP3 with a prime Booker to carry the load. Although CP3 fell apart in the 2022 playoffs he was great that year in the regular season. The belief was he just needed to be healthy at the right time so ideally adding a guy like KD would be very helpful for the team’s ceiling. Unfortunately that drop off in 2022 once he turned 38 wasn’t injury related but the beginning of the end for him being able to compete athletically in the league. He has fallen off a cliff since and just not the same guy he was. So unfortunately the trade just didn’t work out because of the CP3 situation which while not implausible was a reasonable bet if he had a lightened workload. They tried to salvage but Beal has his own health issues and the redundancy of his skillset on this team makes it doesn’t have near the impact of 2021 CP3.

All in all, the trade seems pretty understandable and i think KD has been a good player worth the risk given the team’s recent finals appearance, the solid fit and possible benefits with helping preserve CP3. The players they gave up wouldn’t have given them a better shot at a title and wouldn’t have get a higher ceiling return than a guy like KD. OG is the only other guy I think they could have gotten that could be an upgrade but even he was similar to Bridges. The real problem is the amount of 1sts they have up. If Bridges in fact garnered an offer of 3 1sts, the Suns didn’t do enough research on the value of their assets and panicked.

Their only real choice is to try to re-tool around this core, hope for better health and try to find some better diamond in The rough role players who do the dirty work and luck out with a good buyout candidate (a vet PG hopefully)
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,919

Post#86 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:28 am

TinmanZBoy wrote:what? a guy like Beal has a no trade clause in his contract?
that's so annoying ...

In fairness, that's also why the Suns didn't have to spend many assets to get him.

Turns out they may have overpaid even so ...
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#87 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:33 am

azcatz11 wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:That's crazy they don't have a FRP until 2030.

I'd be pretty surprised if he blows it up. Not even year 3. I don't think this is the type of dude to pay $4b for a rebuild.

They’re saying it wrong on tnt - my bad

If those picks have swaps attached, then the Suns don't control their own picks.

Of course, swapping with Brooklyn or Washington may not be the greatest hardship in the world ...
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#88 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:34 am

Marvin Martian wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:That's crazy they don't have a FRP until 2030.

I'd be pretty surprised if he blows it up. Not even year 3. I don't think this is the type of dude to pay $4b for a rebuild.

Do they own them or are they pick swaps?

Still not phrased correctly.

By the Stepien Rule, they have to own some kind of pick. It just may be the worst of 2 or more due to a swap obligation.
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,457

Post#89 » by whocurrz » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:34 am

Dan Z wrote:
tundraknight wrote:
Read on Twitter

I never understood why Washington gave him that contract. They were fortunate that the Suns bailed them out.

Because the Wizards are one of the worst run franchises in basketball for the last 20 years. They didn’t only give him all that money but gave him a No Trade Clause. Like the amount of players with NTCs is minuscule and the Wizards gave it to a guy who made it clear he was staying solely get his maximum amount of money. They didn’t want to lose an asset for nothing but then decided to ensure that they basically had no control over that asset.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,021

Post#90 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:38 am

The Suns could easily trade their 2024 pick for a future first and some 2nd round picks which would destroy this narrative about them lacking draft picks. All they're really hampered by is that they can't trade any of their remaining first because they're swaps but teams only really ever do that to go after a star and the Suns already have theirs and are cap strapped so it's a moot point.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,625

Post#91 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:48 am

AlexanderRight wrote:Run it back one more year with a REAL point guard. They won 50 games with Beal barely playing half the season. It ain't like they fell off the map. I 'm not giving up on a KD/Booker/Beal trio off of one year.

Better hope you can get CP3 for a vet minimum.

Next coach gonna be called bad to avoid blaming Durant. That fool should have just stayed in Brooklyn. Now we can see he's a big part of the problem.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,136

Post#92 » by UcanUwill » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:05 am

Mr Puddles wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:
That was definitely not the narrative last off-season. The Wolves has messed up trading for a bad fit, and owed one more first rounder than the Suns at the time (23, 25, 27, 29), they just didn't have the same pick swaps as the Suns.

Ostensibly, they were in an unsalvageble situation and had messed up Ant's future. Gobert was past his prime, clogged up the lane for Edward's, gets exposed in the playoffs....People tend to have short memories when it comes to this stuff.

Now people are lauding the same team.

Ok, that is true. They gave way too much for Rudy even looking at it now. I just looked more at roster construction. Minny had decent roster even last year, but we didnt know Rudy and KAT could work, it wasnt working, but they turned it around. Maybe Suns can pull off the fit suddenly working but I think their construct is put together in a worse way still.

I agree with that, and I'm not trying to be that "this is fine" dog in the burning apartment - but I do think this board tends to hit the panic button irrationally quickly. I only used those two examples to showcase that a lot can happen in a few months.

In NBA things can change fast drastically, but can be hard turning ship thats burning. We fans do overreact to everything, yes, game threads in particular is just comedy. I bet most Nuggets game threads can have blow it up comments, because that is how it goes with realgm fans...
AlexanderRight
Senior
And1: 769

Post#93 » by AlexanderRight » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:21 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
AlexanderRight wrote:Run it back one more year with a REAL point guard. They won 50 games with Beal barely playing half the season. It ain't like they fell off the map. I 'm not giving up on a KD/Booker/Beal trio off of one year.

Next coach gonna be called bad to avoid blaming Durant. That fool should have just stayed in Brooklyn. Now we can see he's a big part of the problem.

The man played 75 games this year, averaging 27/6/5, shooting 52% from the field and 41% from 3. Realistically, how much more can we expect out of him?
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,020

Post#94 » by BelgradeNugget » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:27 am

100%.

Last season, after the worst trade in history for Gobert and KAT being exposed as injury prone Twolves were 1 made Jokic free throw from being swept in the 1st round, after loosing to Lakers in 1st play-inn game. Now they are serious contender. Gobert is DPOY, KAT is all-star, team is exciting...

I hope nobody expected Suns will bring different players change coach and the whole team, and win championship after 1.5 seasons.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,625

Post#95 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:34 am

AlexanderRight wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:

The man played 75 games this year, averaging 27/6/5, shooting 52% from the field and 41% from 3. Realistically, how much more can we expect out of him?

Nope, we're not gonna do this. He's the one who keeps pushing his teams' front offices to make all of these terrible moves (otherwise he wants out) and then gets to hide behind his counting stats. The only numbers that matter in his case are wins and losses at this point.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,685

Post#96 » by Dirk » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:16 am

This Bradley Beal sequence is something else.

60/21/10
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 987

Post#97 » by Decipher » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:17 am

Marvin Martian wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:Damn Beal’s contract almost feels Ben Simmons bad lol

His contract pretty much dooms the Suns until an inevitable rebuild. Suddenly the Nets must not feel that bad.

Simmons was bad, but the fact he rarely played meant that he couldn't take mins away from the youngsters who could be long term players on the team.

Can't say that about Beal

Every team in the league was signing Simmons to a max

There’s only one Washington
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#98 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:29 am

Mr Puddles wrote:
nzahir wrote:
doogie_hauser wrote:
Your franchise has garbage trade assets (bums like Rui, DLo, Reaves) plus your very few first round picks available won't come close to cutting it. Keep dreaming lol

I dont think we have the assets for Booker since hes on a long deal and I doubt he wants out, but dont act like we have nothing

We have 3 1sts, 3 swaps, this years rookie, Reaves on a very good deal, Rui is fine (bad in this series, very good in the reg season and last playoffs though), and Christie.

Didnt you guys get Jrue for like almost nothing

I think we have the assets for Mitchell if he wants out, Trae, or KD

Honesty I don't think Booker will get moved unless it's for an irrationally lobsided offer that the Suns can't say no to (or if Booker asks out). Like if the 76ers contacted the Suns offering Embiid for Booker straight up, ofcourse the Suns wouldn't be dumb enough to say no. The Suns have invested too much in making him the face of the franchise to trade him without getting a superstar in return.

As a Sixers fan, I do that trade yesterday, I'm driving Embiid to the airport myself!
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,080

Post#99 » by Calvin Klein » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:34 am

bubonicphoniks wrote:Nets fan here. Feel like we should send you guys a care package.

It's hard to have expectations and then not even really be in the game post season.

KD is a monster but his late career arc is...not good to say the least.

He is definitely a monster. But not the good kind.
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,154

Post#100 » by Iwasawitness » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:52 am

I was dumbfounded at the time when the Beal trade happened and I still am now. I still can’t wrap my head around the idea that full grown adults that are in major positions of authority sat down together and thought “yeah, Beal/Booker/Durant, what could go wrong?”.

And who wins in all of this? Brooklyn, who somehow made the same mistake TWICE and now it looks like they’ve gotten themselves a get out of jail free card. Amazing.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!

Return to The General Board