Kevin Durant has been a part of two failed superteams

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,163

Re: Kevin Durant has been a part of two failed superteams 

Post#21 » by Lalouie » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:54 am

he's a top10 scorer

he's a top25 - 30 player
BlackThought
Sixth Man
And1: 1,558

Post#22 » by BlackThought » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:56 am

Just stacking high rating players and hit simulate games might win you 2k franchise mode but won't work irl.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,476

Post#23 » by JustBuzzin » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:56 am

7ft with guard skills and can shoot the lights out.

On paper that sounds like a dude who should have been the best to ever do it. You can't teach mentality and leadership. KD never had either.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,230

Post#24 » by Tor_Raps » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:57 am

The Brooklyn one wasn't really his fault and the Phoenix one is tough... CP got hurt last year and Beal was absolutely pathetic this year.

He's never been a true leader in the same way Kawhi has never been a true leader. It doesn't mean that he isn't a killer on the court. Dude came off an Achilles injury looking much better than anyone thought he'd be. I don't really pin any of the failures on him.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,777

Post#25 » by Peregrine01 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:58 am

I remember him throwing shade on GSW's system again and again after he left, saying how it didn't work against better defenses in the playoffs. Wonder how he feels about that now.
uncleduck13
Junior
And1: 344

Post#26 » by uncleduck13 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:59 am

KD teams all tend to play the exact same brand of basketball too. From OKC to Brooklyn to Phoenix. Same thing, different city. Just motionless, stagnate, iso-heavy ball.

Coaches always get blamed, but he’s the common denominator in every situation. Golden State was the exception and we all know why.
bovice
Pro Prospect
And1: 949

Post#27 » by bovice » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:00 am

he's too tall to have elite ball handling. it's why he isn't on the jordan/kobe tier. he has to rely on good facilitators. it worked well with steph and harden. not so well with westbrook and whoever is the suns pg.

kd's career is so unfortunate. brooklyn would have won if kyrie didn't have someone put their foot under him for a defensive rebound.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 17,146

Post#28 » by Wolfgang630 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:00 am

He’s Tracey Mcgrady except he cowardly ran to a Warriors team to win some rings. He’s so overrated.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#29 » by GSP » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:01 am

uncleduck13 wrote:KD teams all tend to play the exact same brand of basketball too. From OKC to Brooklyn to Phoenix. Same thing, different city. Just motionless, stagnate, iso-heavy ball.

Coaches always get blamed, but he’s the common denominator in every situation. Golden State was the exception and we all know why.

He even started isoing more later in Warriors run and was critical of the system

More than anything hes prolly the lowest Iq superstar ever at least in the alltime great category hes in. Hes just very stupid when it comes to the nuances of ball. Like those casuals we hear say "game is about a bucket" he has the same Iq as them he cant think basketball past surface level. Thats why Warriors worked for him they had all the Iq and system in place. Hes been iso freelance bucket ball failure everywhere else.
bovice
Pro Prospect
And1: 949

Post#30 » by bovice » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:02 am

Peregrine01 wrote:I remember him throwing shade on GSW's system again and again after he left, saying how it didn't work against better defenses in the playoffs. Wonder how he feels about that now.

i still agree with him on that point. if u take out the KD years, gsw only beat 2 quality teams. OKC in 2016 and boston in 2022. GSW's success looks amazing from afar, but they played a ton of injured opponents. When the rest of the west is healthy, they don't go far.
Lala870
Starter
And1: 1,487

Post#31 » by Lala870 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:02 am

Peregrine01 wrote:I remember him throwing shade on GSW's system again and again after he left, saying how it didn't work against better defenses in the playoffs. Wonder how he feels about that now.

I mean hes not wrong. Warriors are/were the patriots of the NBA. System team that benefits from the product the league is promoting and are officiated accordingly.
Al Harrington is my inspiration for weed entrepreneurship!
Lala870
Starter

Post#32 » by Lala870 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:03 am

bovice wrote:

i still agree with him on that point. if u take out the KD years, gsw only beat 2 quality teams. OKC in 2016 and boston in 2022. GSW's success looks amazing from afar, but they played a ton of injured opponents. When the rest of the west is healthy, they don't go far.

That 2016 series was painful to watch. They jobbed OKC hard
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,294

Post#33 » by Marvin Martian » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:04 am

Tor_Raps wrote:The Brooklyn one wasn't really his fault and the Phoenix one is tough... CP got hurt last year and Beal was absolutely pathetic this year.

He's never been a true leader in the same way Kawhi has never been a true leader. It doesn't mean that he isn't a killer on the court. Dude came off an Achilles injury looking much better than anyone thought he'd be. I don't really pin any of the failures on him.

Brooklyn was his fault. Moreso than this one. In Brooklyn, he was the GM, leader, and franchise player. When his team was swept by BOS, he demanded a trade before the ink was dry on his 4 year extension.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,816

Post#34 » by TinmanZBoy » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:05 am

GSP wrote:
uncleduck13 wrote:KD teams all tend to play the exact same brand of basketball too. From OKC to Brooklyn to Phoenix. Same thing, different city. Just motionless, stagnate, iso-heavy ball.

He even started isoing more later in Warriors run and was critical of the system

More than anything hes prolly the lowest Iq superstar ever at least in the alltime great category hes in. Hes just very stupid when it comes to the nuances of ball. Like those casuals we hear say "game is about a bucket" he has the same Iq as them he cant think basketball past surface level. Thats why Warriors worked for him they had all the Iq and system in place. Hes been iso freelance bucket ball failure everywhere else.

good summary...the ironic thing is he has the IQ and fit in the Warriors system, but egos are in the way, he wants me me me, just shy away from saying that straight... a mental midget
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 997

Post#35 » by ScrantonBulls » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:05 am

SUPERVILLAIN wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:
SUPERVILLAIN wrote:He failed with James Harden and Kyrie Irving. Now he failed again with Devin Booker and Bradley Beal. These two huge disasters should be seen as a big, ugly stain on his legacy. Durant has only thrived when he is playing with one of the greatest core of all time in the history of this sport. I really can't see Durant as an all-time great anymore. An all-timer should have done way better with opportunities like his.

Also we can't forget that Durant has always been a guy who joined a superteam. Basically he is a follower. He never been the alpha. He joined Golden State when the golden core is already established. He went to Brooklyn because Kyrie told him so. Lastly, he picked Phoenix as his trade destination when things get ugly in Brooklyn. And it's very possible that he will find a way out from Phoenix to be in a better team.

I will say it one more time. Kevin Durant is not an all time great. He can't be in the conversation anymore.

I question your basketball knowledge if you expected this Suns team to win.

Surely I don't expect them to win. And that only makes it clearer that Durant has failed. You play with fellow stars like Booker and Beal and nobody expect you to win the first round? What the hell? How much more help do you need? How many stars teammate needed to make you a favorite?

It's a terrible fit with old, injury prone players. The team had no depth either. Basketball is played with 5 players on the court for a team, not 3... You're ignoring all context with the team and buying into the "superteam" narrative.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#36 » by GSP » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:06 am

TinmanZBoy wrote:
GSP wrote:

good summary...the ironic thing is he has the IQ and fit in the Warriors system, but egos are in the way, he wants me me me, just shy away from saying that straight... a mental midget

Harrison Barnes and Andrew Wiggins had the Iq to win a ring in that system so its not saying much :lol: :lol:
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,777

Post#37 » by Peregrine01 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:08 am

Lala870 wrote:

I mean hes not wrong. Warriors are/were the patriots of the NBA. System team that benefits from the product the league is promoting and are officiated accordingly.

It worked to the tune of being the most dominant team of the last decade. What's ironic is that KD was criticizing the Warriors offense when it was he himself that was bogging down the Warriors offense.
Roy T
Pro Prospect
And1: 886

Post#38 » by Roy T » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:09 am

Man you guys is pathetic for hating on one of the best to ever play the game. He is top 50 or top 25 of all time at least and oh boy is that a stacked group of guys…

Why y‘all forgetting the OKC superteam he had? Three future MVPs and they could not get it done.

It’s damn hard to win it all in this league and I hardly blame him for joining the Warriors or a poorly constructed PHX roster.

Mind your own bidness
Lala870
Starter

Post#39 » by Lala870 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:09 am

Peregrine01 wrote:
Lala870 wrote:

It worked to the tune of being the most dominant team of the last decade. What's ironic is that KD was criticizing the Warriors offense when it was he himself that was bogging down the Warriors offense.

KD is a showman lol. What can you say
uncleduck13
Junior
And1: 344

Post#40 » by uncleduck13 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:13 am

GSP wrote:

Agree 100% . He has a very casual/surface level/street ball philosophy on the game. It’s the reason why he co-signed Kyrie saying they didn’t need a coach the day after Steve Nash was hired. Just a foolish mentality that continues to show itself on the court. Time after time. Situation after situation.

Return to The General Board