last team to wake up, smell the coffee and blow it and rebuild

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

which of them?

Lakers
21%
Warriors
21%
Suns
12%
Clippers
3%
Mavs
3%
Sixers
No votes
Bucks
6%
Bulls
29%
hawks
3%
Other ( specify)
3%

Total votes: 34

Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,164

last team to wake up, smell the coffee and blow it and rebuild 

Post#1 » by Hellcrooner » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:42 am

There are several teams that are simply not made with the correct tools, too much cap tied on players that are too old or too injury prone or both.
They ahve been trading pieces to see if it works, but it does not and would highy benefit to blow it up asap.
Who do you think will be the one that will make the stupidest decisions instead of the right one and mortage even further their future by trading a ton of picks and some young valuable players for some not so good " star" ?'

Suspects
Lakers
warriors
Suns
Clippers

(damm you could also argue kings should thingk about it too, a damm full division of disaster).

Mavs

Sixers
Bucks
Bulls
Hawks
Rishkar
Junior
And1: 319

Re: last team to wake up, smell the coffee and blow it and rebuild 

Post#2 » by Rishkar » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:32 pm

Definitely going to be the Suns
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,994

Post#3 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:37 pm

It’s a tough call. Suns literally CAN’T reset soon. Clippers CAN reset at least with all of them besides Kawhi by next summer, but Ballmer has stated over and over that he foolishly will not allow a rebuild as long as he’s the owner.

My guess is maybe the Warriors because they are so old and have a more cutthroat FO.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
pace31
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,371

Post#4 » by pace31 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:39 pm

I feel like the Suns could definitely push the detonate button if they wanted to. Could easily send KD and Booker out for assets (Beal is stuck unfortunately).

I see the Lakers and Warriors riding into the sunset with their vets (for better or worse)
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,800

Post#5 » by Clav » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:47 pm

I voted Chicago because...well, they are so close to rebuilding but if Chicago runs it back again I... I just can't.

At least PHX has Durant and Booker to lure some ring-chasers.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,719

Post#6 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:49 pm

No West team is blowing it up, in my opinion. They don't want to end up like the Sacramento Kings/Minnesota Timberwolves (of a few years ago) missing the playoffs for over a decade. If the franchise is competitive for the playoffs, they will keep trying to make it work. Now, if a team has star players requesting trades, forcing a blow-it-up situation, that's a different scenario.

Of the teams listed, I don't think any of them want to get intentionally worse to become better later on. Certainly not the Bucks. Chicago fans want to blow it up, but the organization does not. Sixers have capspace and will be retooling. Atlanta is tough because the Spurs own their picks from 25-27.

Lastly, the play-in has diminished the importance of the trade deadline it seems. We need more teams to be out of the playoff race and selling off talent to teams still in the race. The way the format is, teams are in the race too long for that to happen.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,386

Post#7 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:53 pm

pace31 wrote:I feel like the Suns could definitely push the detonate button if they wanted to. Could easily send KD and Booker out for assets (Beal is stuck unfortunately).

I see the Lakers and Warriors riding into the sunset with their vets (for better or worse)

Trade a guy who is like 26 and a top 10-12 player in the league? The issue was they didn't build correctly around Booker since the finals appearance. They got a taste of success and thought one big move would push them over but the pieces they added didn't add up to actually making them better. They don't need to do a bottom 5 rebuild. They just need better pieces that compliment Booker.
pace31
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,371

Post#8 » by pace31 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:56 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
pace31 wrote:I feel like the Suns could definitely push the detonate button if they wanted to. Could easily send KD and Booker out for assets (Beal is stuck unfortunately).

Trade a guy who is like 26 and a top 10-12 player in the league? The issue was they didn't build correctly around Booker since the finals appearance. They got a taste of success and thought one big move would push them over but the pieces they added didn't add up to actually making them better. They don't need to do a bottom 5 rebuild. They just need better pieces that compliment Booker.

I'm not saying they should I'm just saying they COULD
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 329

Post#9 » by WentzerWuver » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:04 pm

pace31 wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:

Any team that lose in the first round could with that logic Lol
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,386

Post#10 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:04 pm

pace31 wrote:

Well ya they could but it would be like cutting off your leg to heal a flu.
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,475

Post#11 » by JXL » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:06 pm

I didn't vote Phoenix cause they have nothing except dangling Kevin Durant. Also didn't vote Lakers cause LeBron is still gonna be there for another 2 years. I chose the Bulls cause they really have to look at the mediocrity they put themselves in, pull the plug on the DeRozan/Ball/LaVine/Vucevic headache and start a real rebuild.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,136

Post#12 » by UcanUwill » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:07 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
pace31 wrote:

Well ya they could but it would be like cutting off your leg to heal a flu.

They arent trading Devin unless he asks out, which is possible. Another playet has suffered Kardashian curse.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,612

Post#13 » by shi-woo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 pm

Warriors, because unlike most of those other teams they already won a bunch, and actually had the ability to draft high end talent. They could have chosen a quick retool, and didn't, and they still have a chance to do it this off season.

Podz, Moodey, Kuminga, TDJ are all solid young layers that have proven they can play. Podz and Kuminga have shown potential to be legit starter caliber players and the other two solid rotation pieces on a good tem. I'm always impressed with Moses whenever I see him play, and don't see why he can't play the Pat Connington or Greyson Allen role for this team.

Warriors struck gold with the Wiggins trade and getting that title, but sine that struck of luck they have mismanaged their salary cap. Green low key ruined this team with his jealousy, forced them to make a bad move, which led to a horrible contract for Poole, and a terrible trade for Paul.

Signing Wiggins to that massive deal also seemed dubious, even at the time and certainly so in retrospect.

This team needs to try and move on from Paul and Wiggins ASAP, and can't bring Klay back if they are serious about winning. They already have 2 SG's on the roster that are younger and ready to contribute on both sides of the ball.

They have the ability to actually trade Wiggins this offseason given the FA class is one of the worst in recent memory, and his contract isnt that bad, he's essentially getting paid decent starter money these days.

If they can get a solid 3-D wing, backup veteran point, or Looney replacement thy have to go for it.

A trade like Wiggins for Lonzo and Caruso would be the type of deal I'd start to look for, and take it from there.

This team is the only one on your list that already has a decent young nucleus set up, a star player, and another all-all level player. They don't need much to contend, they just need more balance to the roster
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,497

Post#14 » by jkvonny » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:22 pm

Lakers and Warriors.

Old and declining.

In the East. Bulls (treadmilling for nearly a decade now). Maybe the Hawks too, but they had injuries.
HearshotKDS
Sixth Man
And1: 909

Post#15 » by HearshotKDS » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:45 am

The Chicago Bulls are not actively trying to build towards a championship.They are built to maintain the status quo and generate revenue.

They are not serious people.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,067

Post#16 » by SOUL » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:02 am

Most of those teams do not have to "blow it up". Not sure why the Mavs are on it. Bucks need to re-tool with younger guys but you don't blow up a team with Giannis. Warriors already have some young pieces they can pivot to but like with Curry, you can integrate better fitting players. Maxey and Embiid, zero chance. Clippers are not blowing anything up with their new arena and owner and they still have good players, but they don't have to commit themselves to George either.

Bulls are an obvious candidate because they can't even make the playoffs, even with some bad injury luck the last few years. Lakers can go in some interesting directions depending on what happens with LeBron, but again, him and Davis are enough to have an interesting team.. just the other pieces have to be perfect. Suns are stuck with the Beal contract but can potentially shop Durant for depth.

But yeah, Bulls 100% for me. Hawks also have to decide what they want to be.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,295

Post#17 » by andyhop » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:18 am

I'd have to go with the Bulls seems like mediocrity is a feature not a bug for ownership there
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,992

Post#18 » by Johnny Fontane » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:34 am

Likely the heat. Haven’t tanked since Beasley which was 16 years ago and don’t see them doing so anytime soon though they should

Return to The General Board