Mavs didn't do far enuf

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Ray Donovan
Junior
And1: 165

Mavs didn't do far enuf 

Post#1 » by Ray Donovan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:35 am

In bringing in Gafford & PJWashington they improved their rebounding & defense but they held back on acquiring either 6'6 sharpshooter Bogey in Atlanta, 6'7 Jeramii Grant of Portland or Siakam of Toronto. One of thez 3rd options mite of been the difference in the Mavs playing for there 2nd NBA TITLE.. but Cuban wouldn't spend the $$$, smfh
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,664

Re: Mavs didn't do far enuf 

Post#2 » by Mavrelous » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:30 am

None of us thought they'd be this good after the trades, that's why we thought it was bad trading the last tradable assets for PJ and Gafford.
About the 6th man thing, THJ had 2 40+ games and won 2 games for the Mavs they had no business winning before the deadline, and looked like 6MOY top candidate, and Exum was playing great, this is the 1st order of business in the off season, reliable bench scoring guard, Bogi or Sexton would be great.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
ChipotleWest
Analyst
And1: 3,186

Post#3 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:38 am

Well we win yesterday if Kidd doesn't bench his two 7 foot centers, so there's that.

Also we couldn't trade another first round pick at the time and that is what a team always wants in trades when they're giving the better player. We had to trade one for both Washington and Gafford.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,812

Post#4 » by cgf » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:06 am

How were the mavs supposed to add anyone else? Teams typically expect to receive something in trades.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,319

Post#5 » by zimpy27 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:21 am

Clippers and Wolves were the only matchups where Mavs would be outclassed obviously on the bench. Both those teams have the depth and they have decent Cs.

Gafford-Lively have been disappointing, Kleber has got more burn because of this. THJ has been injured too. Maybe he come back better. Again though, Clips main strength is their bench, they should beat up the Mavs bench.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Handlez
Junior
And1: 487

Post#6 » by Handlez » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:32 am

The series is tied in huge part due to Luka's play.

If he was the regular Luka, it wouldn't be tied.

Luka has enough help.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,277

Post#7 » by God Squad » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:51 pm

They look pretty good to me. I've been tough on Kyrie over the years, but he's playing great alongside Luka. You can even see the trust Luka has in him.

Giving him his flowers.
Spoiler:
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,882

Post#8 » by Jadoogar » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:52 pm

Ray Donovan wrote:In bringing in Gafford & PJWashington they improved their rebounding & defense but they held back on acquiring either 6'6 sharpshooter Bogey in Atlanta, 6'7 Jeramii Grant of Portland or Siakam of Toronto. One of thez 3rd options mite of been the difference in the Mavs playing for there 2nd NBA TITLE.. but Cuban wouldn't spend the $$$, smfh

what assets did the Mavs have to offer for Siakam or Grant?
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,433

Post#9 » by Jimmy Recard » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:55 pm

Whatever happens this year, I think Mavs will be in the mix for the 1 seed next season. The Gafford and PJ Washington trades were absolutely home runs.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,566

Post#10 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:12 pm

or just don't fall behind by 30 points

obviously the Mavs still have needs. But the time to concern ourselves with them is not immediately after a loss. Just like immediately after b2b wins nobody should have declared them complete.

We don't have to kneejerk after every game I promise.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,375

Post#11 » by brutalitops » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:01 pm

Was against the Gafford trade but worked well. Mavs done really need anymore scoring. They still have a lot of control for this year and can ship THJ for something this off-season if they really want to
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,501

Post#12 » by Ambrose » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:44 pm

Mavs are two horrific quarters from sweeping this series. Luka having his worst playoff series is the issue.
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,566

Post#13 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:55 pm

Ambrose wrote:Mavs are two horrific quarters from sweeping this series. Luka having his worst playoff series is the issue.

Check the plus/minus numbers and tell us again how Luka is the problem here. :D

This is why eye test is so worthless for us amateurs. You see him missing shots and hur dur he sucks he's costing his team. For the series when he's on the court the Mavs are handily winning the minutes. When he gets his couple minutes rest, everything falls apart. Yesterday for instance he sat 3 minutes and the team lost those minutes 15-0.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
OfficialRef
Starter
And1: 2,443

Post#14 » by OfficialRef » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:57 pm

Luka needs more help to put down a Clippers team without their best player? Maybe he should try shooting above 50% for once this series
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,507

Post#15 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:58 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Ambrose wrote:Mavs are two horrific quarters from sweeping this series. Luka having his worst playoff series is the issue.

This is why eye test is so worthless for us amateurs. You see him missing shots and hur dur he sucks he's costing his team. For the series when he's on the court the Mavs are handily winning the minutes. When he gets his couple minutes rest, everything falls apart. Yesterday for instance he sat 3 minutes and the team lost those minutes 15-0.

15-0 in 3 minutes is a crazy stat. Better off taking 24 second violations on offense and getting set on defense.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,625

Post#16 » by Bob8 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:03 pm

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

15-0 in 3 minutes is a crazy stat. Better off taking 24 second violations on offense and getting set on defense.

Mavs haven't backup Pg capable of playing against Clippers, who're putting enormous pressure on guards, so the most reasonable option would be playing the best defenders, when Luka sits with only goal limiting Clippers in scoring.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by Ambrose » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:07 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

No, I know, they've been horrendous with him off the court. I've watched every second of the series, and when he's off the offense completely implodes. That does not take away from the fact that he's objectively playing poorly by his standards, and if he wasn't, this series would already be over. I get he's been asked to do a ton, but when his shot isn't falling (or others aren't), he can't continue to bail out defenses by settling for contested stepbacks 12 times/game.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,625

Post#18 » by Bob8 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:12 pm

Ambrose wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

No, I know, they've been horrendous with him off the court. I've watched every second of the series, and when he's off the offense completely implodes. That does not take away from the fact that he's objectively playing poorly by his standards, and if he wasn't, this series would already be over. I get he's been asked to do a ton, but when his shot isn't falling (or others aren't), he can't continue to bail out defenses by settling for contested stepbacks 12 times/game.

Mavs only offense is Kyrie's ISOs and Luka's pick&roll, but Clippers defending last very effectively and with new officiating Luka is getting very difficult easier shots, so step backs are the easiest shots Luka gets and if he starts hitting them, everything will change. Clippers will need to defend Luka differently and that will open everything for others. So Luka's step back is crucial for Mavs winning that series.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by Ambrose » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:37 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Mavs only offense is Kyrie's ISOs and Luka's pick&roll, but Clippers defending last very effectively and with new officiating Luka is getting very difficult easier shots, so step backs are the easiest shots Luka gets and if he starts hitting them, everything will change. Clippers will need to defend Luka differently and that will open everything for others. So Luka's step back is crucial for Mavs winning that series.

If shots are difficult to come by, settling is the opposite of what he should be doing. Obviously the stepback is a go-to for Luka, and valuable to his game. But it's not falling, and by continuing to settle for it (12/game) you're bailing out the Clippers by not pressuring the interior.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,299

Post#20 » by Woodsanity » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:50 pm

Kidd is a big problem.
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:

Return to The General Board