Do people actually buy the "American Born" player narrative?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Do you care if the best players are American?

Yes
17%
No
67%
I've never thought about it
16%

Total votes: 58

shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,622

Do people actually buy the "American Born" player narrative? 

Post#1 » by shi-woo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:53 pm

I keep seeing people bring this up constantly on this board now, and it's dominated most Jokic threads, Ant threads, and it's even mentioned in the new Chet v Mobley thread :lol:

Is it just because this is an Olympic year, and now with basketball being a part of other cultures people are fearing the US will get upset or something?

I get race and culture has a part to play in this, especially given how messed up global politics are right now an how nationalism usually props up during these times, but I'd prefer not to go down that rabbit hole, nor do I think anyone else on this board either.

I rarely ever hear people talk about "American Born" vs other countries, and think that dudes like Dirk, Jokic, Wemby, Manu, Parker ect are all universally liked by most people. If you don't have a favorite player right now that's non american you're missing out, and probably not watching too many games.

Euroleague fans used to be annoying 10 years ago coming in talking about how Georgios Papagiannis was going to light up the league, and ohh if only you all saw Rudy Fernandez Navaro play in their prime! But now I think most people accept that their are other leagues out there that are solid, and these guys insight on these prospects like Wemby and Luka has been valuable and add to the discussion more often than not. Especially in years like this one where like 1/4 of the lottery is projected to be foreign.

I get that Pop kind of started this years ago with his comments, and guys like Luka have stocked that flame, but do people really care if players are foreign or home grown, and if the face of ht league is foreign?

Edit: Because there seems to be confusion to what I'm asking. The narrative in question is that the media and American fans in general are pushing/focusing on certain players based solely on their American nationality.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,029

Re: Do people actually buy the "American Born" player narrative? 

Post#2 » by NZB2323 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:59 pm

I root for the USA in the Olympics. I think it’s good for the American audience if there’s an American as one of the 10 best players in the NBA. If we localize it even more, I really cheer on players who are from the south side of Chicago.

I also don’t know if Tony Parker is universally loved. He didn’t make the top 75 players list, he cheated on Eva, and he’s French. I also feel like Tim Duncan should have won finals MVP in 2007 and Parker is a little bit overrated.

But what I really care about is the Chicago Bulls. I don’t care if it’s Toni Kukoc, Luol Deng, Ben Gordon, Luc Longley, or Jimmy Butler. I just want the Bulls to win.

Sabonis is also one of my favorite players.
CreekShow
Sophomore
And1: 223

Post#3 » by CreekShow » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:03 pm

Im confused
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,282

Post#4 » by ItsDanger » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:03 pm

If the top 10 players for 10 consecutive years were foreign, it might negatively impact local fan interest. Personally don't care but others do to a certain extent.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,988

Post#5 » by Xatticus » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:12 pm

shi-woo wrote:I keep seeing people bring this up constantly on this board now, and it's dominated most Jokic threads, Ant threads, and it's even mentioned in the new Chet v Mobley thread :lol:

Is it just because this is an Olympic year, and now with basketball being a part of other cultures people are fearing the US will get upset or something?

I get race and culture has a part to play in this, especially given how messed up global politics are right now an how nationalism usually props up during these times, but I'd prefer not to go down that rabbit hole, nor do I think anyone else on this board either.

I rarely ever hear people talk about "American Born" vs other countries, and think that dudes like Dirk, Jokic, Wemby, Manu, Parker ect are all universally liked by most people. If you don't have a favorite player right now that's non american you're missing out, and probably not watching too many games.

Euroleague fans used to be annoying 10 years ago coming in talking about how Georgios Papagiannis was going to light up the league, and ohh if only you all saw Rudy Fernandez Navaro play in their prime! But now I think most people accept that their are other leagues out there that are solid, and these guys insight on these prospects like Wemby and Luka has been valuable and add to the discussion more often than not. Especially in years like this one where like 1/4 of the lottery is projected to be foreign.

I get that Pop kind of started this years ago with his comments, and guys like Luka have stocked that flame, but do people really care if players are foreign or home grown, and if the face of ht league is foreign?

What narrative are you talking about precisely?
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Vol
Freshman
And1: 179

Post#6 » by Vol » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:12 pm

I've never thought about it, therefore I don't care.
Lockdown504090 wrote:Damn, dude went postal. Happens to the best of us
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,764

Post#7 » by sikma42 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:13 pm

CreekShow wrote:Im confused

Same, very confused.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,256

Post#8 » by SlimShady83 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:14 pm

lol when first reading headline I thought the B was a P and thought ahh wrong forum OP LOL

But short answer yes
My Personal Top 10 all time
Jordan, Russell, Bird, Duncan, Magic, Kobe, Curry, Shaq, Kareem, Bron

Top 5 will always be the same, 6-10 will change from time to time :)
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,764

Post#9 » by sikma42 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:17 pm

I see now, the media obviously cares. See the last few years. I think Wemby will transcend that tho.

beeshma
Starter
And1: 1,804

Post#10 » by beeshma » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:21 pm

I think race is an important part of this. Particularly if someone is perceived as being a member of the black vs. white culture in America.

If you're not American, you can think of it as a form of tribalism or nationalism. You might only frequent businesses owned by your own tribe, or marry within a tribe.

In America, the black community prefers to elevate black heroes, and listen to black leaders. That's a form of tribalism. It starts with skin color so Jokic is out. It continues to cultural identifiers and behaviors. By this treatment, Giannis is perceived as European and he is out, while someone like Joel Embiid is perceived as a black american. Because of the way that Embiid complains of unfair treatment, it tricks other black Americans into perceiving him as one of their own.

The white community in America also displays this preference. There is a type of white American player who generates outsize fan appreciation. Kirk Hinrich is a great example. He is perceived to embody a white culture ideal of behavior.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,021

Re: Do people actually buy the 

Post#11 » by NyKnicks1714 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:23 pm

sikma42 wrote:
CreekShow wrote:Im confused

Same, very confused.

Could help if he told us what the narrative is
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,585

Post#12 » by EmpireFalls » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:35 pm

I deinitely think it's a lot easier to market the face of the league being Jordan or Magic or Bron or Curry than it is Jokic.These are American born kids with American accents and cultural leanings, have fanbases from college, etc.

Traditionally at least. But the other part is, traditionally, we've never had a best player in the league be foreign before, not really at least. You could say Hakeem in 94 but Jordan's shadow was still massive during that time. Other than Hakeem, no other foreign born player was the best. How crazy is that? So we're in uncharted territory here.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,637

Post#13 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:38 pm

I mean the Americans have dominated the sport basically since its inception, so its natural that wonder if that time is passing. But I don't think its really going to matter in the long run. Baseball has long since accepted Dominicans and other countries excelling at the very top of the sport and hockey has long had Europeans among its best players and people aren't turned off. Heck look at Shohei being the talk of baseball. Nobody think less of that because he's not American.

Globalization is great for both the sport and the NBA. As the song goes, no need to hate on Luka because he never played Mizzou.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,029

Post#14 » by NZB2323 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:40 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:I deinitely think it's a lot easier to market the face of the league being Jordan or Magic or Bron or Curry than it is Jokic.These are American born kids with American accents and cultural leanings, have fanbases from college, etc.

Traditionally at least. But the other part is, traditionally, we've never had a best player in the league be foreign before, not really at least. You could say Hakeem in 94 but Jordan's shadow was still massive during that time. Other than Hakeem, no other foreign born player was the best. How crazy is that? So we're in uncharted territory here.

I feel like Dirk in 2011 and Giannis in 2021 were recognized as the best player in the league before Jokic.
Me Like Lakers
Sophomore
And1: 184

Post#15 » by Me Like Lakers » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:47 pm

NZB2323 wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:I deinitely think it's a lot easier to market the face of the league being Jordan or Magic or Bron or Curry than it is Jokic.These are American born kids with American accents and cultural leanings, have fanbases from college, etc.

I feel like Dirk in 2011 and Giannis in 2021 were recognized as the best player in the league before Jokic.

Yeah, but it was never undisputed as it is with Jokic, especially for multiple years
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,749

Post#16 » by yannisk » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:53 pm

Me Like Lakers wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:

Yeah, but it was never undisputed as it is with Jokic, especially for multiple years

I think Giannis was widely considered the best from the time he won the title till Jokic won, so a couple of years. Jokic is definitely undisputed though
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,840

Post#17 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:56 pm

beeshma wrote:Because of the way that Embiid complains of unfair treatment, it tricks other black Americans into perceiving him as one of their own.

LMAO, WHAT?
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
Rendei
Sixth Man
And1: 2,522

Post#18 » by Rendei » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:00 pm

America is a giant melting pot with people from everywhere. Most people here don't really care. I think people from other countries probably care about this more, as America is the big bad in international basketball that they're chasing.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,622

Post#19 » by shi-woo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:01 pm

Xatticus wrote:
shi-woo wrote:I keep seeing people bring this up constantly on this board now, and it's dominated most Jokic threads, Ant threads, and it's even mentioned in the new Chet v Mobley thread :lol:

What narrative are you talking about precisely?

That having an American born player as the face of the league is something people care about and actively want to see. For example, the Chet v Mobley thread highlights that they are both American born centers, and the Any thread highlights that he's only getting this love all of a sudden because he's an American born player, and the media wants to push him.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,125

Post#20 » by shrink » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:01 pm

beeshma wrote:I think race is an important part of this. Particularly if someone is perceived as being a member of the black vs. white culture in America.

If you're not American, you can think of it as a form of tribalism or nationalism. You might only frequent businesses owned by your own tribe, or marry within a tribe.

In America, the black community prefers to elevate black heroes, and listen to black leaders. That's a form of tribalism. It starts with skin color so Jokic is out. It continues to cultural identifiers and behaviors. By this treatment, Giannis is perceived as European and he is out, while someone like Joel Embiid is perceived as a black american. Because of the way that Embiid complains of unfair treatment, it tricks other black Americans into perceiving him as one of their own.

The white community in America also displays this preference. There is a type of white American player who generates outsize fan appreciation. Kirk Hinrich is a great example. He is perceived to embody a white culture ideal of behavior.

I don’t buy this at all. Basketball fans love players that are exciting at basketball. Simple. Sports specifically can reduce the emphasis on race, since fans want players that help their team win, regardless.

I live in Minnesota, predominantly white, and our favorite players are Garnett and Edwards. It’s their performance and their personality. I don’t know any white Wolves fan who likes Kevin Love more, simply because he’s white.

Return to The General Board