2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (Series tied 3-3)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins GAME 7 and goes to the WCFs?

Nuggets
55%
Wolves
45%

Total votes: 49

Grubie024
Junior
And1: 416

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#241 » by Grubie024 » Thu May 2, 2024 9:13 pm

Minnesota's got a real shot!
I picked Wolves in 6. I like their depth. Nuggets have two of the three best players in the series but Wolves thoroughly outclass them beyond Jokic/Murray.
Need good KAT to show up, not the one who makes non-stop boneheaded plays. He was great against the Suns.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,260

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#242 » by Edrees » Thu May 2, 2024 9:25 pm

Sgt Major wrote:Now this is going to be a series.

My prediction is the margin of victory of each game is much larger than Lakers series, but this series goes more games. So I don't think it will be as entertaining due to blowouts back and forth.

Denver in 7
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,965

Post#243 » by cupcakesnake » Thu May 2, 2024 9:45 pm

SK21209 wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
docholliday99 wrote:
100%, Denver's in for a much tougher challenge from Minny than what LA was able to give, and Denver really had to play from behind much of the time. Will be a fun matchup.

Compared to LA, our offense is similar overall but much more boom or bust. LA played a super conservative style that worked. They were big and strong and had a great decision maker at the heart of their process. They didn't have the ability to really explode though, due to a lack of shooting and speed.

Minnesota's offense is a little more wild. We're more likely to go off with some Ant heroics or KAT hot shooting, but our best players are worse decision makers than Lebron so we don't have that solid consistency that LA brought every night. LA could always "get theirs", but the thing they were getting was pretty mid. Minnesota is feast or famine.

Defensively though, we're better than LA in basically every way. We're much bigger with wayyyyy better perimeter defenders. We have 3-4 perimeter defenders better than LA's best perimeter defender.

This is a good assessment. Due to the lack of athleticism in our backcourt in particular, we were really dependent on DLo just having a hot night from three to overcome the machine that is Denver's offense. LeBron is obviously still an incredible offensive player, but he's not dynamic. Its mostly bully-ball and smarts that get him his points. I don't think the Nuggets have anyone to stay in front of Ant (KCP is good, but I don't think he can stand up to him athletically) because you can't really put Gordon on him for long stretches. But while Ant has an athletic advantage that no one on the Lakers really had, I'm not sure the Wolves have the bread-and-butter stuff like the LeBron/AD side P&R and other sets that yielded strong results all series.

But yeah, defensively its not close. Reaves played Murray well on that last shot in Game 5, but he just doesn't have the physical tools to block or significantly bother that shot. The Wolves have a few guys that do. Should be an awesome series, its about a toss up to me.

I think KCP will do fine, especially relative to the defenders Phoenix could throw at Ant. It was a lot of Bradley Beal.

I thought KCP even had some decent moments against Lebron when the Lakers would fight to get anyone but Gordon on him. Ant's obviously got the explosiveness that Bron doesn't have anymore, but I think in terms of size, KCP will do fine.

Even Murray is a much better perimeter defender overall than D'Lo or Reaves. The Lakers were completely bereft of backcourt stoppers. Crazy that this team once had Caruso and KCP and were like nahhh we'd prefer offensive ball handlers who can't shoot. Vando being healthy might have been a fun option, but that comes with such an offensive cost.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,965

Post#244 » by cupcakesnake » Thu May 2, 2024 9:47 pm

TunaFish wrote:
SK21209 wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
Compared to LA, our offense is similar overall but much more boom or bust. LA played a super conservative style that worked. They were big and strong and had a great decision maker at the heart of their process. They didn't have the ability to really explode though, due to a lack of shooting and speed.

Minnesota's offense is a little more wild. We're more likely to go off with some Ant heroics or KAT hot shooting, but our best players are worse decision makers than Lebron so we don't have that solid consistency that LA brought every night. LA could always "get theirs", but the thing they were getting was pretty mid. Minnesota is feast or famine.

Defensively though, we're better than LA in basically every way. We're much bigger with wayyyyy better perimeter defenders. We have 3-4 perimeter defenders better than LA's best perimeter defender.

This is a good assessment. Due to the lack of athleticism in our backcourt in particular, we were really dependent on DLo just having a hot night from three to overcome the machine that is Denver's offense. LeBron is obviously still an incredible offensive player, but he's not dynamic. Its mostly bully-ball and smarts that get him his points. I don't think the Nuggets have anyone to stay in front of Ant (KCP is good, but I don't think he can stand up to him athletically) because you can't really put Gordon on him for long stretches. But while Ant has an athletic advantage that no one on the Lakers really had, I'm not sure the Wolves have the bread-and-butter stuff like the LeBron/AD side P&R and other sets that yielded strong results all series.

But yeah, defensively its not close. Reaves played Murray well on that last shot in Game 5, but he just doesn't have the physical tools to block or significantly bother that shot. The Wolves have a few guys that do. Should be an awesome series, its about a toss up to me.

They can play Gordon on Ant if they want. Denver usually plays a switching man to man defense because they have two plus defenders who can take on the point of attack. They routinely rotate their forwards. You can almost bet that Gordon will be switching in that direction. MPJ is more of a inside rebounding force with his new found defensive presence, shot blocking and 6'10 height at small forward.

They'll run a lot of scram switching against Minnesota picks, so you can basically expect everyone on their team to spend a few possessions against everyone. With KCP, Gordon, Braun, Watson, Denver is designed to be able to switch and adapt without exposing too many weak points.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,666

Post#245 » by nomansland » Thu May 2, 2024 9:53 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
TunaFish wrote:
SK21209 wrote:

They can play Gordon on Ant if they want. Denver usually plays a switching man to man defense because they have two plus defenders who can take on the point of attack. They routinely rotate their forwards. You can almost bet that Gordon will be switching in that direction. MPJ is more of a inside rebounding force with his new found defensive presence, shot blocking and 6'10 height at small forward.

They'll run a lot of scram switching against Minnesota picks, so you can basically expect everyone on their team to spend a few possessions against everyone. With KCP, Gordon, Braun, Watson, Denver is designed to be able to switch and adapt without exposing too many weak points.

This is what I've been thinking as well. It's not going to come down to X player on Y player matchups. There will be lots of switching on D and lots of different schemes on both ends. Every game is going to look different as well, not just based on previous matchup success, but also to keep the other teams off balance. Should be an interesting series. I'm still quite nervous though.
Prestige
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,176
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#246 » by Prestige » Thu May 2, 2024 10:59 pm

This is the Wolves initiation into being a contender. They get to face the defending champs and current MVP. If this was a hollywood script, they'll lose in a heartbreaking fashion in 7, Ant will fall to the floor and be consoled by KAT and Gobert, then they'll come back the next season and win it all.
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,415

Post#247 » by CodeBreaker » Fri May 3, 2024 3:06 am

PRESTIGE wrote:This is the Wolves initiation into being a contender. They get to face the defending champs and current MVP. If this was a hollywood script, they'll lose in a heartbreaking fashion in 7, Ant will fall to the floor and be consoled by KAT and Gobert, then they'll come back the next season and win it all.

but this ain't hollywood, and they're sending the Nuggets home now
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 8,835

Post#248 » by AleksandarN » Fri May 3, 2024 4:42 am

Grubie024 wrote:Minnesota's got a real shot!
I picked Wolves in 6. I like their depth. Nuggets have two of the three best players in the series but Wolves thoroughly outclass them beyond Jokic/Murray.
Need good KAT to show up, not the one who makes non-stop boneheaded plays. He was great against the Suns.

I think MPJ out plays KAT.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,089

Post#249 » by CDM_Stats » Fri May 3, 2024 5:39 am

Liking the Wolves here. Them in 6 for me
LaLover11
Bench Warmer
And1: 817

Post#250 » by LaLover11 » Fri May 3, 2024 5:42 am

If Porter Jr averages 25ppg the Wolves lose in 5 games
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,877

Post#251 » by Chuck Everett » Fri May 3, 2024 5:46 am

PRESTIGE wrote:This is the Wolves initiation into being a contender. They get to face the defending champs and current MVP. If this was a hollywood script, they'll lose in a heartbreaking fashion in 7, Ant will fall to the floor and be consoled by KAT and Gobert, then they'll come back the next season and win it all.

They need to do everything in their power to get it done this season because next year (2024/25) is somewhat of a crossroads for the franchise. It will be a title contention season, but in the summer of 2025, Rudy Gobert (player option), Naz Reid (player option) and Nickell Alexander-Walker (unrestricted FA), all have the ability to walk for more lucrative deals. And just saying Minnesota can pay everyone what they're worth is easier said than done (even if they will have their Bird rights). Naz and NAW in particular will probably be inline for huge raises and starting jobs.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
greekman
Senior
And1: 331

Post#252 » by greekman » Fri May 3, 2024 6:09 am

murray is the new kawhi
Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 581

Post#253 » by Gregoire » Fri May 3, 2024 6:29 am

Minny in 7
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them.
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan
AEnigma wrote:
Jordan is not as smart a help defender as Kidd
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,224

Post#254 » by stoo » Fri May 3, 2024 7:11 am

nuggets starters will outscore minny starters. question is weather bench will hold on enough
NotSinceWilt
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,442

Post#255 » by Oscirus » Fri May 3, 2024 7:20 am

gobert is the best defensive center in the game and this is anthony's coming out party, Minny in 6
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,263

Post#256 » by SlimShady83 » Fri May 3, 2024 7:27 am

This Series Is the biggest series and will determain who the champs really are IMO... Wolves In 6

This will also shut all the JOKIC fan boys up once and for all

Let's go Wolves
My Personal Top 10 all time
Jordan, Russell, Bird, Duncan, Magic, Kobe, Curry, Shaq, Kareem, Bron

Top 5 will always be the same, 6-10 will change from time to time :)
TheNG
Rookie
And1: 1,427

Post#257 » by TheNG » Fri May 3, 2024 8:02 am

The games will look close, but Denver will win 4-1.
Same as the Lakers series.
If you have more "Posts" than "And1", don't feel bad if I didn't reply to you - I just don't like to speak with people who argue a lot :beer:
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,666

Post#258 » by nomansland » Fri May 3, 2024 8:31 am

greekman wrote:murray is the new kawhi

Finals MVP? I'll take it!
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,224

Post#259 » by stoo » Fri May 3, 2024 9:44 am

SlimShady83 wrote:This Series Is the biggest series and will determain who the champs really are IMO... Wolves In 6

This will also shut all the JOKIC fan boys up once and for all

Let's go Wolves

lol. i really wander who the champs really are: the champs, or the team that is first time in the second round after beating suns :)

also, 30/10/10 on 60 fg%
NotSinceWilt
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,046

Post#260 » by BelgradeNugget » Fri May 3, 2024 9:52 am

Smarter team will win this series

Return to The General Board