2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (Series tied 3-3)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins and goes to the WCFs?

Nuggets in 4
1%
Nuggets in 5
6%
Nuggets in 6
26%
Nuggets in 7
20%
Wolves in 4
6%
Wolves in 5
6%
Wolves in 6
24%
Wolves in 7
12%

Total votes: 451

EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,600

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#161 » by EmpireFalls » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:13 pm

Minnesota opening up lanes to the basket and being aggressive at exploiting them will be key. We will need to see sharp and fast drives and decisions from NAW, McDaniels, and the obvious guy who needs to step up every night, Ant. Getting Gobert easy looks at the rim too.

Beyond that Denver has to find a 7th guy off the bench. They just have to.
Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man
And1: 2,064

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#162 » by Shaka_Zulu » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:24 pm

ShootersShoot wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:
Klomp wrote:If Porter is a "pretty decent rebounder" at 6'10" with 8.4 rebounds per game in the playoffs, what is Edwards at 6'4" technically with 8.0 rebounds per game?

MPJ is definitely a better rebounder based on their career, although I don't really see this is as a particularly important thing in this matchup.

I think the main concern would be Ant helping against Murray or Jokic even a tiny bit, then having the ball kicked out to MPJ for a three.

Wolves don't double or overhelp much in their schemes, they generally trust their teammates to handle their guy. Mpj doesn't really iso much so Ant just needs to stay matched up in perimeter/cuts to basket.

The main thing will be when they switch in screens, and ball swinging for Denver, that the guy chasing down MPJ spotting up in corner/key isn't Conley. Too short to contest. While the others are big enough (Rudy, KAT, Jaden) or athletic enough to contest it (Ant, he did quite well on 7 foot KD last series).

The only guy they on pure deliberate scheme they wont chase off the perimeter will be AG. They will dare him to shoot a 3 and double Joker at times.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,625

Post#163 » by shi-woo » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:25 pm

I have Nuggets in 6 jut because experience matters the deeper you go in the playoffs, and i'm concerned Ant and KAT won't play nearly as well down the stretch in this series, and try to rush things.

The other thing worth mentioning is that the Wolves biggest weapon, Gobert on defense, will be mitigated a lot by Jokic. Not completely, obviously Gobert will effect the other Nuggets players, but we just watched Jokic essentially dismantle Davis, probably the #2 big man defender in the game, all while having to actually play defense this series. He won't have to guard heavy for 10 strait minutes like he did against LA, Jokic was clearly gassed in a lot of these quarters, his game just shows well even when he's not 100%. We saw it last night with some of those horrible turnover he had, going for the homerun outlet instead of slowing it down and taking the ball up. That's not going to be an issue this series, and think we see a few incredible offensive games from him.

As always the bench for the Nuggets are going to be a concern. Naz should be a huge mismatch this series, and I always like when guys like Monte Morris get to show out against their old teams. If wolves get anything like they did from NAW like they did in the 1st round that would be huge. Nuggets bench has been god aweful, Reggie looking ready to retire this year, and Peyton and Braun clearly aren't consistent enough for this level of basketball, and are hit of miss.

I honestly think the X-factor outside of Ant and Jokic is going to be who contributes more on offense, MPJ or KAT. Both provide the ability to be big bodies that don't miss from 3, and both have improved tremendously as defenders. MPJ has really played inspired basketball over the last two years and we'll see if he can keep it going. Kat needs to play in control, not make dumb passes or gimme fouls. If he can do that, this is a series.

Ant feasted last year, and I expect him to again this year. With Naz and Jaden playing, and an actual backup point too, I don't see a game like Game 1 happening, and think the series will be more like games 4 and 5.

This series is going to awesome, is a real toss up, but I just can't bet against Jokic and the more experienced team. Nuggets in 6 being the more disciplined team down the stretch in 2 close games that will decide the serie.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,228

Post#164 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:30 pm

shi-woo wrote:The other thing worth mentioning is that the Wolves biggest weapon, Gobert on defense, will be mitigated a lot by Jokic. Not completely, obviously Gobert will effect the other Nuggets players, but we just watched Jokic essentially dismantle Davis, probably the #2 big man defender in the game, all while having to actually play defense this series.

If that were how they match up, you might have a point, but that hasn't been the game plan for the 13 games they've played over the last two seasons.

They will likely put Towns on Jokic, which allows Gobert to roam off of non-shooter Gordon.

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,327

Post#165 » by ShootersShoot » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:30 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:
ShootersShoot wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:
MPJ is definitely a better rebounder based on their career, although I don't really see this is as a particularly important thing in this matchup.

I think the main concern would be Ant helping against Murray or Jokic even a tiny bit, then having the ball kicked out to MPJ for a three.

Wolves don't double or overhelp much in their schemes, they generally trust their teammates to handle their guy. Mpj doesn't really iso much so Ant just needs to stay matched up in perimeter/cuts to basket.

The main thing will be when they switch in screens, and ball swinging for Denver, that the guy chasing down MPJ spotting up in corner/key isn't Conley. Too short to contest. While the others are big enough (Rudy, KAT, Jaden) or athletic enough to contest it (Ant, he did quite well on 7 foot KD last series).

The only guy they on pure deliberate scheme they went chase off the perimeter will be AG. They will dare him to shoot a 3 and double Joker at times.

MPJ spotting up is just a tough matchup in general. If any team can disrupt him, its the wolves.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 8,767

Post#166 » by AleksandarN » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:40 pm

Chokic wrote:Minny in 6 bc they got the best player in the series plus denvers bench is shallow.

It must suck being an Embiid and sixers fan hoping Jokic fails. Sad life I tell you.
In-N-Out 247
Junior
And1: 247

Post#167 » by In-N-Out 247 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:40 pm

Wallace_Wallace wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Wallace_Wallace wrote:Media is gonna all the over Minnesota on this one.

American Born (Anthony Edwards) vs America’s Most Hated (Nikola Jokic).

Games will be coming down to late game execution. Edwards did a great job in game 4, can he keep it up against a better cerebral team in Denver? We’ll see

Jokic haters are really going to come out of the woodwork if he loses to the worst franchise in professional sports history

LA fans are definitely rooting Minnesota. ESPN/FOX aren’t particularly fond of Jokic. If Denver were to lose, Edwards would be looked at as the undisputed best player in the league.
…..like a broken record (not particularly related to the topic)
Spoiler:
If Minnesota doesn’t have the playoff success, then he’ll be strong armed into trade rumors to a big market.

I do have Nuggets in 7 due to the championship pedigree they have.

I can't speak for all Laker's fans, but for me personally, I only root for the Lakers. Beyond that I am a bit of hater, but I only currently have hate for 3 teams - #1 Clippers, #2 Celtics, #3 Nuggets. I'll be watching as much playoff basketball as I can and It'll make me happy to see all 3 of those teams lose. Rest of the time I am just hoping for good games.
shi-woo
Sixth Man

Post#168 » by shi-woo » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:44 pm

Klomp wrote:
shi-woo wrote:The other thing worth mentioning is that the Wolves biggest weapon, Gobert on defense, will be mitigated a lot by Jokic. Not completely, obviously Gobert will effect the other Nuggets players, but we just watched Jokic essentially dismantle Davis, probably the #2 big man defender in the game, all while having to actually play defense this series.

If that were how they match up, you might have a point, but that hasn't been the game plan for the 13 games they've played over the last two seasons.

They will likely put Towns on Jokic, which allows Gobert to roam off of non-shooter Gordon.

That's what i'm saying though, Gobert is going to effect everyone but Jokic, which is going to be the problem. Jokic isn't really the type of Star you can say "Shut everyone down and let him feast," because he eats differently than other stars. He looks for the pass when help comes, and can go off from all 3 levels. It's going to be a tall task for Towns, and Gobrt is going to have to do a lot of heavy lifting this series both on the perimeter and inside.

He made Davis look like Clint Capela on defense, and destroyed him in 1v1 matchups down the stretch of games. KAT is not going to do a much to effect his game, and I worry that the Nuggets switch to have the Center spot guarding the perimeter like they did with Davis all series (and he did terrible all things considered, I expect better results from the wolves playrs).

If Rudy plays out of his mind on defense, and Nuggets get the same intensity and focus from the 1-3 players, then it will work. That's what i'm going to watch for in Game 1, how the Wolves react and adjust if Jokic starts going off offensively. There is a lot of potential for the Nuggets to keep the Minny offense scrambling.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,044

Post#169 » by BelgradeNugget » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:47 pm

Klomp wrote:

To counter that plan Nuggets are using Gordon to set screens for shooters KCP, MPJ and Murray, the same way GSW used to do with Green/Loony seting screens for Curry/Klay when their defenders sagged off too much.
Anyway, it is going to be chess match over basketball game.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,459

Post#170 » by jokeboy86 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:49 pm

tmorgan wrote:

Games will be coming down to late game execution. Edwards did a great job in game 4, can he keep it up against a better cerebral team in Denver? We’ll see

No one hates Jokic. WTF?

They dont hate Jokic, the media and casual fans just hate covering him or discussing him. When a sport’s best player is someone who isnt “exciting” or marketable media hates it like the plague because it looks stupid hyping up other exciting/marketable players when they’re not even the best in the league. Bird/Magic/Jordan made it easy and they could ignore Duncan because of Shaq/Kobe and later Lebron/Steph/KD took the mantle.

This whole face of the NBA/end of an era talk we’ve been hearing for the whole year is due to the fact that Jokic being the best in the league is something they feel is awful for business. When I say they’re praying Denver doesnt win it this year that’s not a joke. It wouldnt surprise me if I hear talking heads this week say the league needs Edwards to beat Denver because its better for the league’s health going forward
JM00n69
Freshman
And1: 75

Post#171 » by JM00n69 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:53 pm

Nuggets need to find their groove. Played like **** against LA. Seemed like they we're coasting 80% of the time and they were trailing a lot. KCP and Murray need to hit their open shots. Jok was not looking to score enough. Bench was bad. I wonder if NNaji will get some minutes against MIN. Not that he should but can't go small against MIN for too long, need another big off the bench for a few mins.

If anyone can stop DEN it's Minnesota. Should be a fun series.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 8,767

Post#172 » by AleksandarN » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:55 pm

GeorgeSears wrote:Jaden McDaniels hounding Murray all game with an iffy calf does concern me. Even with a healthy calf, it's a tough matchup for Murray because of the size.

Who do they put on MPJ? ANT? MPJ is going to cook.
shi-woo
Sixth Man

Post#173 » by shi-woo » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:01 pm

jokeboy86 wrote:
tmorgan wrote:

No one hates Jokic. WTF?

They dont hate Jokic, the media and casual fans just hate covering him or discussing him. When a sport’s best player is someone who isnt “exciting” or marketable media hates it like the plague because it looks stupid hyping up other exciting/marketable players when they’re not even the best in the league. Bird/Magic/Jordan made it easy and they could ignore Duncan because of Shaq/Kobe and later Lebron/Steph/KD took the mantle.

This whole face of the NBA/end of an era talk we’ve been hearing for the whole year is due to the fact that Jokic being the best in the league is something they feel is awful for business. When I say they’re praying Denver doesnt win it this year that’s not a joke. It wouldnt surprise me if I hear talking heads this week say the league needs Edwards to beat Denver because its better for the league’s health going forward

This post is so sad, because it's too spot on.

The worst part is Jokic is probably the most universally loved star player we've had since Magic, and all fans of the sport absolutely love his game and demeanor. He's Tim Duncan fused with LeBrons skillset, and has the most appealing game in the entire sport.

He's the perfect face of the league, but he won't be in Like Mike 5 or Space Jam 3, so :banghead: Jokic allows us, and forcs the media, to only focus on the game, something they absolutely hate doing. (Shout out to Jamal Crawford for being the only commentator who actually breaks things down for the fans, and doesn't just Oh Me Oh My us to death)

Ant is the same way, but has that Kobe competitor in him. Both are the funnest players to watch in the NBA, and play the game the right way, while being exact opposites. This series really should be the highlight of the entire basktball world for the next 3 weeks or however long it lasts. It exemplifies everything that is great about the sport and all true fans are here for it
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,228

Post#174 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:23 pm

shi-woo wrote:This series really should be the highlight of the entire basktball world for the next 3 weeks or however long it lasts. It exemplifies everything that is great about the sport and all true fans are here for it

A benefit of some of the bigger-name stars already sitting at home is that this series can get the spotlight it deserves.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man

Post#175 » by Shaka_Zulu » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:24 pm

shi-woo wrote:
jokeboy86 wrote:
tmorgan wrote:
No one hates Jokic. WTF?

This post is so sad, because it's too spot on.

The worst part is Jokic is probably the most universally loved star player we've had since Magic, and all fans of the sport absolutely love his game and demeanor. He's Tim Duncan fused with LeBrons skillset, and has the most appealing game in the entire sport.

He's the perfect face of the league, but he won't be in Like Mike 5 or Space Jam 3, so :banghead: Jokic allows us, and forcs the media, to only focus on the game, something they absolutely hate doing. (Shout out to Jamal Crawford for being the only commentator who actually breaks things down for the fans, and doesn't just Oh Me Oh My us to death)

Ant is the same way, but has that Kobe competitor in him. Both are the funnest players to watch in the NBA, and play the game the right way, while being exact opposites. This series really should be the highlight of the entire basktball world for the next 3 weeks or however long it lasts. It exemplifies everything that is great about the sport and all true fans are here for it

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,565

Post#176 » by Domejandro » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:28 pm

SportsGuru08 wrote:I'm going to say Minnesota in 7, but only if KAT growns a spine and uses his size on those undersized defenders. If he just settles for threes, Denver wins.

This talking point kills me, because it's the complete opposite where Karl-Anthony Towns should be throwing up way more threes than he currently does. He already drives a ton, which leads to a bunch of offensive fouls. Towns' whistle is horrendous.
Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man

Post#177 » by Shaka_Zulu » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:43 pm

Domejandro wrote:
SportsGuru08 wrote:I'm going to say Minnesota in 7, but only if KAT growns a spine and uses his size on those undersized defenders. If he just settles for threes, Denver wins.

This talking point kills me, because it's the complete opposite where Karl-Anthony Towns should be throwing up way more threes than he currently does. He already drives a ton, which leads to a bunch of offensive fouls. Towns' whistle is horrendous.

These people don't watch games, they just listen to Chuck talking points about Kat needing to drive and not shoot 3s. "Hurr durr back in my day a big went to the basket, so he should too."

When we litterally are way more likely to lose if Kat just drives (more turnovers/offensive fouls), then focus on shooting 3s which he is insanely elite at.

He carried us first quarters vs Suns game 4 by basically being lights out from 3, when they overhelped on Ant. And he is so big he shoots over most matchups.
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,992

Post#178 » by Johnny Fontane » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:47 pm

Wouldn’t be shocked at all if Minnesota pulls off this series
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,124

Post#179 » by Zeno » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:48 pm

I feel like this series will make people realize just how messed up the Suns were and that the Lakers were a bit better than they were given credit for. Assuming everyone gets reasonably healthy, I think the Nuggets take this in 6. Whoever wins this is probably NBA champion in my opinion.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,565

Post#180 » by Domejandro » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:59 pm

Bobbymcgee wrote:Gonna be embarrassing if Rudy Gobert wins DPOY and then gets ragdolled by Jokic this series.

Barring foul trouble, Rudy Gobert should not be frequently guarding Nikola Jokić throughout this series. Minnesota has sent Karl-Anthony Towns as Jokić's primary defender for two seasons now, they have him defend in single coverage.

That is what makes Minnesota such a difficult match-up for the Denver Nuggets. Karl-Anthony Towns is arguably the best man-to-man defender against Jokić in the NBA (very unique match-up) and Rudy Gobert is able to roam off of Aaron Gordon to jam up the paint and hard hedge on ball-screen actions.

Return to The General Board