2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (Series tied 3-3)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins GAME 7 and goes to the WCFs?

Nuggets
59%
Wolves
41%

Total votes: 97

Mk0
RealGM
And1: 16,613

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (MIN leads 2-0) 

Post#3841 » by Mk0 » Tue May 7, 2024 6:55 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Wolves doing to Jamal Murray in the 2024 Playoffs what Heat did to Trae Young in the 2022 Playoffs.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

All we are missing is "What Is Love?" playing in the background
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,732

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (MIN leads 2-0) 

Post#3842 » by Calinks » Tue May 7, 2024 7:09 pm

Something that no one is really talking about here. If Denver winds up losing this series, it looks like one of their biggest failings was letting GM Tim Conelley leave. I know they couldn't do much to stop his incredible offer but damn, that may have come back to really ruin them here. He went to a division rival and might have put together the team that stops them from winning another title.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man
And1: 2,089

Post#3843 » by Shaka_Zulu » Tue May 7, 2024 7:16 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
Shaka_Zulu wrote:
Froob wrote:That should be an ejection and arguably a suspension

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275622/Marc-Davis-Jamal-Murray-Should-Have-Received-Tech-Not-Ejection-For-Throwing-Heat-Pad-Onto-Floor

Stupid, dangerous, easily avoidable. What a bum.

Don't suspend him. Making him play game 3 against this Wolves defense might be the worst punishment.

Read on Twitter
?t=mqqzdtcMAT6ulNdI2tOBFQ&s=19

Read on Twitter
?t=BNZT_PTy5wBspj11czFu3w&s=19

Read on Twitter
?t=5y0stj4YHh-NR8-VTR50bA&s=19

Read on Twitter
?t=ol_yvXu2wwc1fdIZ0GEzpQ&s=19

IT is so great to see being a Bulls fan and I saw damn near every game from 88-2000 (yeah I watched nearly every game from the bad years lol... and I started watching in 84 because my sister made me...Anyway, this is so much like the doberman defense of the championship Bulls. It is such a throw back. The younger and near prime legs giving Denver fits they didn't have with LA.

Yep, very old school type defense. Many former players or old sport journalists in podcasts made the same comparison you just did. Suffocating Bulls 90s or Knicks 90s type D.

I wanna see more of it, looking forward to it, and the Target Center home fans will energise them even more to hound their asses even more.

I envision Jamal Murray asking league office for a suspension. And Joe Dumars personally calls him up to say Samuel L Jackson style:

"WE NOT BAILING YOU OUT, YOU GONNA SIT THERE AND TAKE THIS ASS WHOOPING" :nod:
TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 2,955

Post#3844 » by TheGeneral99 » Tue May 7, 2024 7:21 pm

Calinks wrote:Something that no one is really talking about here. If Denver winds up losing this series, it looks like one of their biggest failings was letting GM Tim Conelley leave. I know they couldn't do much to stop his incredible offer but damn, that may have come back to really ruin them here. He went to a division rival and might have put together the team that stops them from winning another title.

Did not know this storyline, thanks for sharing.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,563

Post#3845 » by ChipotleWest » Tue May 7, 2024 7:24 pm

Calinks wrote:Something that no one is really talking about here. If Denver winds up losing this series, it looks like one of their biggest failings was letting GM Tim Conelley leave. I know they couldn't do much to stop his incredible offer but damn, that may have come back to really ruin them here. He went to a division rival and might have put together the team that stops them from winning another title.

I would give Connelly some of the credit for the current Wolves, but Kat, Ant, Reid, McDaniels were already there. Maybe you could argue that Gobert and Conley put them over the top.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,012

Post#3846 » by Chuck Everett » Tue May 7, 2024 7:25 pm

Winning one title is enough to make it not that big of a deal. I mean Denver also lost Masai who won a title in Toronto. That franchise actually seems to be pretty decent at finding quality executives. Also, this group isn't done yet. They have at least another 3 years. Doesn't mean they will win again, but they will still be contenders.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
jscott
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#3847 » by jscott » Tue May 7, 2024 7:33 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:

I would give Connelly some of the credit for the current Wolves, but Kat, Ant, Reid, McDaniels were already there. Maybe you could argue that Gobert and Conley put them over the top.

And NAW, Anderson, Morris, etc.
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,507

Post#3848 » by MrGoat » Tue May 7, 2024 7:33 pm

It's hard to get the same level of motivation after winning a title. You're seeing Jokic in several ads now and he pretty much partied the whole summer. I remember after 2011 the Mavs were talking about how the Lamar Odom signing was going to help them because he knew what it took to repeat (we all know how that went). Dirk showed up out of shape for the first time in his career after the title (that was also a lockout season). Murray not being 100% certainly isn't helping but Jokic isn't above blame here. The good news for them is they have until Friday to regroup, but they've still screwed the pooch so much they now need to win 2 games in Minnesota, game 3 will determine if this is even a series at all
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,962

Post#3849 » by Anticon » Tue May 7, 2024 7:43 pm

I think if they're struggling this badly, a championship wasn't in the cards this year. Very few teams can repeat.

But longer term I do wonder whether they have a strong enough front office to keep this teams window open.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,680

Post#3850 » by Michael Jackson » Tue May 7, 2024 7:58 pm

They can have Arturus back.
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,719

Post#3851 » by Cubbies2120 » Tue May 7, 2024 8:01 pm

MrGoat wrote:

It's hard to get the same level of motivation after winning a title. You're seeing Jokic in several ads now and he pretty much partied the whole summer. I remember after 2011 the Mavs were talking about how the Lamar Odom signing was going to help them because he knew what it took to repeat (we all know how that went). Dirk showed up out of shape for the first time in his career after the title (that was also a lockout season). Murray not being 100% certainly isn't helping but Jokic isn't above blame here. The good news for them is they have until Friday to regroup, but they've still screwed the pooch so much they now need to win 2 games in Minnesota, game 3 will determine if this is even a series at all

In the playoffs:
Jokic last years - 30/13.5/9.5 on 20.7 shots (54.8% from the field)
Jokic this year - 27/15/9.5 on 18.7 shots (54.2% from the field)

Murray last year: 27/6/7 on 47% from the field
Murray this year: 20/5/6 on 37% from the field

I can assure you we can blame the Nuggets 2-15 however you want, but my heart breaks for Jokic because he's trying to carry a 12-win team (without him) through a perilous journey featuring 2-3 all-stars in every playoff round.
Dan33185
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,184

Post#3852 » by Dan33185 » Tue May 7, 2024 8:51 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:

bb22
Starter
And1: 1,011

Post#3853 » by bb22 » Tue May 7, 2024 8:56 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:
MrGoat wrote:

In the playoffs:
Jokic last years - 30/13.5/9.5 on 20.7 shots (54.8% from the field)
Jokic this year - 27/15/9.5 on 18.7 shots (54.2% from the field)

Murray last year: 27/6/7 on 47% from the field
Murray this year: 20/5/6 on 37% from the field

I can assure you we can blame the Nuggets 2-15 however you want, but my heart breaks for Jokic because he's trying to carry a 12-win team (without him) through a perilous journey featuring 2-3 all-stars in every playoff round.

Lots of superstars have had to do this. They know how to shoulder the load. But I don’t feel bad for Jokic. His defense has always been a hole and he never got better at it. He could invest heavily in his strength, conditioning and diet in order to get more mobile on D. But he’s a dude that knows there’s more to life than basketball. That’s why he will never be in the GOAT debate.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,723

Post#3854 » by bisme37 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:28 pm

The postgame interviews from the Nuggets were almost as sad as their performance on the court last night. From Malone to Jokic and down the line they all seemed depressed and lacking confidence or any sense of how to turn things around. Crazy to see from a defending champion. They have a few days off to find their spirit but it didn't look good at all.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,173

Post#3855 » by spanishninja » Tue May 7, 2024 9:29 pm

bisme37 wrote:The postgame interviews from the Nuggets were almost as sad as their performance on the court last night. From Malone to Jokic and down the line they all seemed depressed and lacking confidence or any sense of how to turn things around. Crazy to see from a defending champion. They have a few days off to find their spirit but it didn't look good at all.

it's the exact reaction from the Suns after g2 of the first round, if that indicates what will happen to the Nuggets soon.
JM00n69
Freshman
And1: 76

Post#3856 » by JM00n69 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:43 pm

SweetTouch wrote:Mike Malone needs to start showing some coaching adjustments.. He is out there getting exposed

Nuggets GM won't stand for much of this.

Malone might get fired this offseason with all the other great coaching candidates out there

Charles Lee
Darvin Ham
Mike Budenholzer

Had this issue last year. When PHX won 2 at home and made it 2-2 it was time to change the bench rotation. He made no changes to minutes and we lucked out and won the series. Malone seems very stubborn to make any changes and will just ride it out. I mean he doesn't have many options at all but just try ffs and take the chance. Defense is where the problem is and it's been a big one this POs.

Change the minutes and throw in Nnaji or DJ for a minute instead of AG at the 5 when Jokic is out. Not coming bk from this now anyway with Murray and Reggie banged up. No way.

And he wont get fired. Been there with Jok and Murray since they came into the league. Got a good staff and won it all last year. They won't trade Murray either.

They need to add a playmaker off the bench who can score and a big who can play 4 and 5, shoot, rebound and defend at average levels for 15-20mins.
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,337

Post#3857 » by pilkoids » Tue May 7, 2024 9:46 pm

Has Minnesota discovered a high altitude antidote
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,336

Post#3858 » by lambchop » Tue May 7, 2024 9:47 pm

spanishninja wrote:
bisme37 wrote:The postgame interviews from the Nuggets were almost as sad as their performance on the court last night. From Malone to Jokic and down the line they all seemed depressed and lacking confidence or any sense of how to turn things around. Crazy to see from a defending champion. They have a few days off to find their spirit but it didn't look good at all.

it's the exact reaction from the Suns after g2 of the first round, if that indicates what will happen to the Nuggets soon.

I think it's the realization that winning the series means going up against that defense at least 6 more times.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
JM00n69
Freshman
And1: 76

Post#3859 » by JM00n69 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:54 pm

lambchop wrote:
spanishninja wrote:

I think it's the realization that winning the series means going up against that defense at least 6 more times.

It was also after one of the worst beatdowns I've ever seen in 25years of watching NBA. And it happened in the playoffs AT HOME after dropping G1 and having a really poor performance in R1 games against LA.

Start to finish they looked like a GLeague team. Credit to Wolves as that was amazing defense but no PO team should fold like that. Embarrassing!
Sealab2024
Junior
And1: 623

Post#3860 » by Sealab2024 » Tue May 7, 2024 10:00 pm

pilkoids wrote:Has Minnesota discovered a high altitude antidote

Having a bench is a nice solution. They also flew out Thursday morning so by Saturday night they're adjusting and by last night you're fine. Much more of a problem when you're going from Phoenix to Denver on a back to back and you go from plains to desert to mountain air in 48 hours.

Return to The General Board