Sounds like LeBron might not be a Laker next year

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,406

Re: Sounds like LeBron might not be a Laker next year 

Post#101 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:27 pm

Sealab2024 wrote:Minnesota should draft Bronny, LBJ can't come. Grab him with the 37th pick, sit him next to Mike Conley for the next 2 years, send him to shooting school every day and drill defensive fundamentals constantly. Let him be the 12th man his first year, and then the backup PG his second. No drama, no LA or NY lights, no dad trying to get him things he hasn't earned. If he can't develop under those circumstances he was never going to. If he can he's Anthony Edwards point guard, defensive minded, able to to set the team up in sets, then play off ball.

Lebron should stay in LA. It's either the Lakers, Clippers or Warriors. No young team on the verge of or already contending is gonna want that headache and chemistry upheaval for a 40 year old.

You actually want Bronny on your team? He's not that good. The whole idea is to team him with Dad.
"The best ability is availability"

Not if the player sucks a**.
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,430

Post#102 » by levon » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:28 pm

xchange55 wrote:He's probably weighing his options of finding a super team or if not possibly trying to follow Bronny. The Lakers have no resources to improve. At the bottom part of the playoff seedings, they're facing MIN/DEN/OKC type teams in the first round. As much as people are trying to blame the journeyman DLO - he averaged 18 points on over 40% from 3 and better assist to turnover ration than Lebron.

Nobody was hating on DLo during the regular season. Level-headed fans just preferred an upgrade because we knew what would happen in the postseason. And sure enough it did: 48% TS and generally terrible defense.

DLo's not a bad player. He just can't be your third best player. And in the playoffs, he isn't--Reaves always outdoes him on both ends.
Sealab2024
Junior
And1: 597

Post#103 » by Sealab2024 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:33 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
Sealab2024 wrote:Minnesota should draft Bronny, LBJ can't come. Grab him with the 37th pick, sit him next to Mike Conley for the next 2 years, send him to shooting school every day and drill defensive fundamentals constantly. Let him be the 12th man his first year, and then the backup PG his second. No drama, no LA or NY lights, no dad trying to get him things he hasn't earned. If he can't develop under those circumstances he was never going to. If he can he's Anthony Edwards point guard, defensive minded, able to to set the team up in sets, then play off ball.

Lebron should stay in LA. It's either the Lakers, Clippers or Warriors. No young team on the verge of or already contending is gonna want that headache and chemistry upheaval for a 40 year old.

You actually want Bronny on your team? He's not that good. The whole idea is to team him with Dad.

Meh, it's a second round pick. He's got size, genetics, been around the game his whole life and a few skills. Plus I think the attention his father gets has actually worked against him. In truth he should stay in school but since he's not it may be worth a flier. Ain't gonna be no distractions up here. And there's literally nothing to do in Minnesota in January besides work out. It's a clear cut NBA life of his own as well.

All this means nothing to me if Jamal Shead is still on the board however.
In-N-Out 247
Junior
And1: 249

Post#104 » by In-N-Out 247 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:48 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:Interesting info from Woj today:

Read on Twitter
?s=46

I know it's fun to pretend that if some rando team drafts Bronny that Lebron will magically go there, but this from Woj is much closer to reality.

Hoping Lebron will take a little less annually but take the 3rd year to allow the Lakers some roster flexibility. I have not crunched the numbers yet but I think that if he took around $40M annually that the Lakers could possibly still make a big trade and use their full MLE. Some good players should be available for the MLE this summer.
BobbyPortisEyes
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,849

Post#105 » by BobbyPortisEyes » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:50 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:

I would also take Bronny at 37 just to have Lebron on the team in 2027.
hauntedcomputer wrote:Jokic is just a stranger dribbling a basketball. The humility bit could well be a carefully crafted business model for all we know. It's actually getting as tiresome as egotistical bloviating at this point. "Look at me, look how humble I am!!"
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,520

Post#106 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:50 pm

I saw a report earlier that LeBron/KD/Curry will be talking during the Olympics. Not sure what that means...
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#107 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:52 pm

BobbyPortisEyes wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

You're that desperate for a 43 year old Lebron, okay.

BobbyPortisEyes
Pro Prospect

Post#108 » by BobbyPortisEyes » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:55 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
BobbyPortisEyes wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

I mean he'd be a starter. How often can you get a starter on your team with the 37th pick?
hauntedcomputer wrote:Jokic is just a stranger dribbling a basketball. The humility bit could well be a carefully crafted business model for all we know. It's actually getting as tiresome as egotistical bloviating at this point. "Look at me, look how humble I am!!"
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,468

Post#109 » by D.Brasco » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:56 pm

LeBron and his family like living in LA, that will be his main factor in staying.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#110 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:56 pm

BobbyPortisEyes wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
BobbyPortisEyes wrote:I would also take Bronny at 37 just to have Lebron on the team in 2027.

I mean he'd be a starter. How often can you get a starter on your team with the 37th pick?

You're talking about Bronny being a starter on what team? He could only score 5.5 ppg in college.

BobbyPortisEyes
Pro Prospect

Post#111 » by BobbyPortisEyes » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:57 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
BobbyPortisEyes wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

You're talking about Bronny being a starter on what team? He could only score 5.5 ppg in college.
No, 43 year old Lebron is a starter. Who cares about Bronny? Try to keep up.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#112 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:58 pm

BobbyPortisEyes wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
BobbyPortisEyes wrote:I mean he'd be a starter. How often can you get a starter on your team with the 37th pick?

The way you worded it was confusing that's your fault. "I mean he'd be a starter. How often can you get a starter on your team with the 37th pick" can be interpreted as Bronny. Lebron is not going to Minnesota or whatever team you're talking about. By 43 he could be retired some of you take it to ridiculous levels.

Also why 2027? They could just draft Bronny and possibly have Lebron next year?

California Gold
Starter
And1: 2,740

Post#113 » by California Gold » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:59 pm

I think he stays with the Lakers but there's a darkhorse in the mix. The Warriors. Steph is a magnet that can attract LeBron and he has his buddy Draymond there as well. I can see Klay leaving if that happens because there's no way for him to get that money then.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#114 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:00 pm

D.Brasco wrote:LeBron and his family like living in LA, that will be his main factor in staying.

Exactly, now everyone just thinks "draft Bronny and we'll get Lebron" but latest reports are he's staying.

BobbyPortisEyes
Pro Prospect

Post#115 » by BobbyPortisEyes » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:01 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
BobbyPortisEyes wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

The way you worded it was confusing that's your fault. "I mean he'd be a starter. How often can you get a starter on your team with the 37th pick" Lebron is not going to Minnesota or whatever team you're talking about.
It would be weird if he didn't. Probably still a championship contending team and his son would be there.. why wouldn't he?
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,412

Post#116 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:01 pm

infinite11285 wrote:The Lakers can offer a him 3-yr $164M max deal.

0% chance he leaves.
Hmmmmm

Net worth: $1,000,000,000
Laker offer: $164,000,000

I think they're missing some zeroes before that is gonna matter.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#117 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:02 pm

BobbyPortisEyes wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
BobbyPortisEyes wrote:No, 43 year old Lebron is a starter. Who cares about Bronny? Try to keep up.

The way you worded it was confusing that's your fault. "I mean he'd be a starter. How often can you get a starter on your team with the 37th pick" Lebron is not going to Minnesota or whatever team you're talking about.
It would be weird if he didn't. Probably still a championship contending team and his son would be there.. why wouldn't he?

Why 2027 then? Why not just next season? He can opt out this summer.

ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#118 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:02 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:

0% chance he leaves.
Hmmmmm

Reportedly he wants to be an owner and that's why that money does matter.

BobbyPortisEyes
Pro Prospect

Post#119 » by BobbyPortisEyes » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:03 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
BobbyPortisEyes wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

Why 2027 then? Why not just next season? He can opt out this summer.
Because the Lakers are gonna pay him over 160 million.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,412

Post#120 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

0% chance he leaves.
Hmmmmm

Reportedly he wants to be an owner and that's why that money does matter.
The guy can make 100 million other ways.

It's not like its $100 million from the Lakers or $0.

Any team is gonna pay him handsomely. At some point the guy is 40 and allegedly wants to play with his son.

I'm not saying he won't accept the money, I'm just saying he could afford to play somewhere other than the Lakers, from a financial standpoint.

Return to The General Board