Lakers had a foul to give

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

rand
Veteran
And1: 3,182

Lakers had a foul to give 

Post#1 » by rand » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:53 am

On the play where Murray scores the game-winning floater with 3.6 left, the Lakers had a foul to give. They could have fouled at any time before Murray began a shooting motion and not only forced Denver not only to reset but also the Lakers can get Reaves off the floor for the must stop defensive possession. I can't believe they didn't take the foul, that Ham or LeBron or AD or the assistant coaches didn't yell it out at Reaves (or maybe they did and it went unheard).

Take the foul with 8 seconds right as Murray is about to start his drive and the Lakers odds of getting the stop might double. Reaves is a bad defensive matchup on anyone but trying to stay in front of Murray off a Jokic screen? Might as well roll out a red carpet into the lane.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,074

Re: Lakers had a foul to give 

Post#2 » by queridiculo » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:09 am

rand wrote:On the play where Murray scores the game-winning floater with 3.6 left, the Lakers had a foul to give. They could have fouled at any time before Murray began a shooting motion and not only forced Denver not only to reset but also the Lakers can get Reaves off the floor for the must stop defensive possession. I can't believe they didn't take the foul, that Ham or LeBron or AD or the assistant coaches didn't yell it out at Reaves (or maybe they did and it went unheard).

Take the foul with 8 seconds right as Murray is about to start his drive and the Lakers odds of getting the stop might double. Reaves is a bad defensive matchup on anyone but trying to stay in front of Murray off a Jokic screen? Might as well roll out a red carpet into the lane.

If they foul they don't get a final possession.

The bigger issue to me is not having a set out of bounds play to get them a better shot with 3.6 seconds left.
rand
Veteran
And1: 3,182

Post#3 » by rand » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:29 am

queridiculo wrote:
rand wrote:On the play where Murray scores the game-winning floater with 3.6 left, the Lakers had a foul to give. They could have fouled at any time before Murray began a shooting motion and not only forced Denver not only to reset but also the Lakers can get Reaves off the floor for the must stop defensive possession. I can't believe they didn't take the foul, that Ham or LeBron or AD or the assistant coaches didn't yell it out at Reaves (or maybe they did and it went unheard).

The bigger issue to me is not having a set out of bounds play to get them a better shot with 3.6 seconds left.

The expected value of the possession they receive is very low. 3.6 seconds with no TO must have an atrocious scoring percentage. But they could have given their odds of getting into OT a massive boost by fouling.

Reaves is so bad in this spot that you'd be better off intentionally fouling twice, give Denver the two FTs and get as much clock as you want for your final possession. You might even get lucky and they miss a FT.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,047

Post#4 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:57 am

I was told Lebron was a coach on the floor. There's this example and the not knowing they had a timeout in Game 1 versus the Warriors that kinda destroy that carefully crafted narrative. These little things will get lost and ignored over the years but we who witnessed it have to be vigilant and bring them up when GOAT debates happen and Lebron's overrated BBIQ is brought up.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,731

Post#5 » by Dirk » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:58 am

queridiculo wrote:

Has there been any complaining about possible fouls from the Nuggets in the Lakers desperation attempt?
60/21/10
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,910

Post#6 » by The Explorer » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:I was told Lebron was a coach on the floor. There's this example and the not knowing they had a timeout in Game 1 versus the Warriors that kinda destroy that carefully crafted narrative. These little things will get lost and ignored over the years but we who witnessed it have to be vigilant and bring them up when GOAT debates happen and Lebron's overrated BBIQ is brought up.

LeBron: " I make the right play every single time"
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,074

Post#7 » by queridiculo » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:52 pm

rand wrote:
queridiculo wrote:

The expected value of the possession they receive is very low. 3.6 seconds with no TO must have an atrocious scoring percentage. But they could have given their odds of getting into OT a massive boost by fouling.

Reaves is so bad in this spot that you'd be better off intentionally fouling twice, give Denver the two FTs and get as much clock as you want for your final possession. You might even get lucky and they miss a FT.

Not a coach in their right mind would play for OT in that situation.

A low chance to tie is better than no chance at all.

Return to The General Board