What would be Jokic's career without Murray?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

What would be Jokic's career without Murray?

Still would have won ring
24%
Would not have won ring
17%
Still would have won NBA Finals MVP
17%
Would not have won NBA Finals MVP
12%
Same number of regular season MVPs
21%
Less number of regular season MVPs
8%

Total votes: 180

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,028

Re: What would be Jokic's career without Murray? 

Post#41 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:08 pm

I mean it depends on what he is replaced with. If you just take him off the roster completely and that max roster space goes unreplaced, then ya we've seen that story before. Denver doesnt go too deep in the playoffs. But that can basically be said for any star if you took away their #2 and didnt replace them.

I wont lie, I am curious to see what Murray looks like when not getting to play in arguably the easiest #2 role in the league. I also think part of the "playoff Murray" thing gets overrated to some degree because of 2 things. The drastic improvement compared to his regular season numbers and the big individual games he has.

What I mean by that is, how many other #2s get to relax all season long to then just crank it up come playoff time? Most guys arent lucky enough to be in that situation. Also he still is very inconsistent in the playoffs. Just look at the gamelogs for last year's playoffs.

Drops 40, then goes on to drop 18, then 19 (on 21 shots). Then 35 and 34, then back down to 10 on 15 shots. This Lakers series, he had 2 more shot attempts than points for the entire 5 game series, but he did make 2 game winners.

And I guess my question to that is, how many other guys get to be that inconsistent but keep playing. Because that 19 point game on 21 shots and 10 point game on 15 shots, Denver won both of those games.

Basically long story short. Murray has himself probably the easiest #2 option role in the league and he also is in the prime spot where him not showing up during the regular season and his inconsistencies in the playoffs dont really come back to bite him too often. Im curious how many other players that we view much lower than Murray, we would have different views on them if they were in the same cozy spot as him. Also with that said, no denying the dude shows up in big moments.
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,536

Post#42 » by zero rings » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:24 pm

Godymas wrote:Jamal Murray continues to be underrated

Jokic would never win a ring without Jamal Murray and the only guy that I would call a clear upgrade to play with Jokic ahead of Murray would be Steph Curry

HOWEVER, a player at Dame or Kyrie's level could be a serviceable replacement, but they would NOT be an upgrade.

LOL

If Murray was Embiid’s sidekick and had a 46.8 TS% on 24 shots per game, you would be ripping him to pieces.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,260

Post#43 » by Edrees » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:25 pm

They would have lost to the lakers this year with a less clutch player.

zero rings wrote:

Jokic would never win a ring without Jamal Murray and the only guy that I would call a clear upgrade to play with Jokic ahead of Murray would be Steph Curry

HOWEVER, a player at Dame or Kyrie's level could be a serviceable replacement, but they would NOT be an upgrade.

LOL

If Murray was Embiid’s sidekick and had a 46.8 TS% on 24 shots per game, you would be ripping him to pieces.

Not if he won 2 playoffs games for the 76ers against the knicks with a last second shot. That series would be tied 2-2 now.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,376

Post#44 » by Woodsanity » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:25 pm

There's tons of players that can play the role of Murray....

At least 10+ guards you can replace him with without much if any dropoff.
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
Woodsanity
RealGM

Post#45 » by Woodsanity » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:27 pm

Shouldn't you be more worried about your team? You have Maxey outperforming Murray by far and Chokebiid is still about to lose in 5 in the first round.
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

tcheco
Sixth Man
And1: 1,197

Post#46 » by tcheco » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:31 pm

It would be better than Murray's career without Jokic
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#47 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:31 pm

Edrees wrote:They would have lost to the lakers this year with a less clutch player.

zero rings wrote:

LOL

Not if he won 2 playoffs games for the 76ers against the knicks with a last second shot. That series would be tied 2-2 now.

I mean it depends. Murray for the series had 118 points on 120 shots (47 TS%). If you were to replace Murray with say an all star but non All NBA caliber guard. He may not be as clutch as Murray. But he may have shot a lot better throughout the series (especially game 2), where the game winning shots arent even necessary.
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 924

Post#48 » by Special_Puppy » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:33 pm

Woodsanity wrote:

Shouldn't you be more worried about your team? You have Maxey outperforming Murray by far and Chokebiid is still about to lose in 5 in the first round.

Hope you are trolling, but Embiid has been great this series and the 76ers losing is 100% not on him.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,212

Post#49 » by MrBigShot » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:33 pm

If murray had even an average series by his standards they wouldn't have needed 2 game winning shots from him. He has to be better the rest of the way.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,536

Post#50 » by zero rings » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:33 pm

Edrees wrote:They would have lost to the lakers this year with a less clutch player.

zero rings wrote:

LOL

The only reason these games were close was because Murray was laying bricks all series.

Replace Jokic with Embiid and Murray would never even have the opportunity to hit those shots. We’d probably be going home right now.
Woodsanity
RealGM

Post#51 » by Woodsanity » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:33 pm

zero rings wrote:

LOL

If he shot average the Nuggets would have swept the Lakers without any "clutch" shots needed. Murray was awful for 3 games and 3 quarters.

Hopefully things average out and his series against the T-Wolves is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better since he was trash against the Lakers.

Woodsanity
RealGM

Post#52 » by Woodsanity » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:35 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:

Hope you are trolling, but Embiid has been great this series and the 76ers losing is 100% not on him.

1 point in the 4th quarter last game but loss is not on him.

No doubt in my mind if Jokic had 1 point in the 4th quarter in a loss you would be destroying him. :lol:

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#53 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:36 pm

Woodsanity wrote:There's tons of players that can play the role of Murray....

Ya and this is the thing that really is impossible to know for sure, unless a trade happens. How much of a boost does Murray have playing with Jokic. I dont think many would argue as a #2 option goes, there is no easier one in the league.

Like what happens if we were to swap Zach LaVine and Murray? Would LaVine still be viewed as an empty stats guy? Hell his last 4 seasons (ya this last one was pretty short), he has a 61TS% in that span (Murray's is 57% over that same time span), as basically the #1 option or at least 1b to DeRozan's 1a.

What does Murray look like if he were to be put into that situation. And what does LaVine look like in Murray's role? We have no clue, but I do think Murray gets a significant boost playing alongside Jokic.
Woodsanity
RealGM

Post#54 » by Woodsanity » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:40 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

Ya and this is the thing that really is impossible to know for sure, unless a trade happens. How much of a boost does Murray have playing with Jokic. I dont think many would argue as a #2 option goes, there is no easier one in the league.

Like what happens if we were to swap Zach LaVine and Murray? Would LaVine still be viewed as an empty stats guy? Hell his last 4 seasons (ya this last one was pretty short), he has a 61TS% in that span, as basically the #1 option or at least 1b to DeRozan's 1a.

What does Murray look like if he were to be put into that situation. And what does LaVine look like in Murray's role? We have no clue, but I do think Murray gets a significant boost playing alongside Jokic.

You are going to get a lot more mileage simply because a lot of other guards would have been healthy. Murray was out 2 seasons.

Murray without Jokic would be just another fringe all star.

Murray is a pretty ball dominant guy, so really Jokic can do well with any ball dominant guard.

Not a knock against Murray. Fringe all star in RS and good all nba level guy in the playoffs (so far). If Murray keeps up the poor play this playoffs maybe his playoff play was just a fluke. Hopefully not.

MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 943

Post#55 » by MugzZo » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:43 pm

Where would a players career be without teammates?

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#56 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:45 pm

Woodsanity wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Like what happens if we were to swap Zach LaVine and Murray? Would LaVine still be viewed as an empty stats guy? Hell his last 4 seasons (ya this last one was pretty short), he has a 61TS% in that span, as basically the #1 option or at least 1b to DeRozan's 1a.

You are going to get a lot more mileage simply because a lot of other guards would have been healthy. Murray was out 2 seasons.

Murray without Jokic would be just another fringe all star.

Murray is a pretty ball dominant guy, so really Jokic can do well with any ball dominant guard.

Ya agreed. I dont think many realize just how ball dominant Murray actually can be. I broke it down a couple months ago. He has the ball in his hands almost at the same rate as Luka. Really the biggest difference between the two of them is the amount of minutes played (this was for the regular season). And the last I checked, Murray was like 5th or 6th in the playoffs in time per possession so far this year. Over guys like SGA, Haliburton, Dame and so on.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 8,831

Post#57 » by AleksandarN » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:08 pm

So you are saying you need a clear number 2 to win a championship. Cool.
AleksandarN
Head Coach

Post#58 » by AleksandarN » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:12 pm

LockoutSeason wrote:You already saw what Jokic looked like without Murray. Back to back years of getting swept.

Murray would also be a homeless man’s Dame Lilliard without Jokic.

They need each other.

He got swept two years in a row? Also I guess Jokic wouldn’t do anything if he is handicapped missing two max contracts. This narrative is hilarious
AleksandarN
Head Coach

Post#59 » by AleksandarN » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:22 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:

Joel Embiid has averaged 6.8 points, 0.5 rebs, 1.8 assists and 0.8 steals in 4 games in the fourth quarter in the 2024 Eastern Conference First Round.
trueballer7
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,172

Post#60 » by trueballer7 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:26 pm

There 's about 15 players like Murray as we speak.

Return to The General Board