Darvin Hams future as a Lakers head coach is in serious peril.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,097

Re: Darvin Hams future as a Lakers head coach is in serious peril. 

Post#81 » by CDM_Stats » Thu May 2, 2024 8:56 pm

SomeBunghole wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:How TF do you plan to fire someone?

Just do it.. enough with this Office Space nonsense

He has a contract, you don't just send him an email saying not to come in unless you want to be tied up in lawsuits. There's a reason NBA coaches always "mutually terminate" contracts.

The Lakers are probably negotiating with Ham as we speak. They'd be stupid to just announce he's done the morning after they were knocked out of the playoffs and I'm sure their lawyers would tell them so.

So to repeat, you are saying that Ham would have grounds for a lawsuit if he was fired today without being consulted?

Walk me through that logic because that certainly doesnt make sense at face value. Even things like 'cause' are arbitrated after the fact, though most teams don't go that route, and coaches get full payouts
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#82 » by blind prophet » Thu May 2, 2024 9:22 pm

Seems odd for this to be public before it happens.

Minor enjoyment at the Laker's front office woes. Seem to recall some less than friendly notions about the Kings front office in the past, may as well take petty delight.
SomeBunghole
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,561

Post#83 » by SomeBunghole » Thu May 2, 2024 9:49 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:So to repeat, you are saying that Ham would have grounds for a lawsuit if he was fired today without being consulted?

Well, yes. It works the same way as it does with players. Or for that matter, regular workers. Darvin Ham signed a contract that, according to the internet, is suppose to pay him 5 million a year for the next two seasons to provide his services as the team's coach. They can fire him with cause, but that's pretty limited in scope. He'd have to violate the specific terms of his contract. I think Udoka may have actually been fired by Boston, but I can't speak with certainty. Those cases are rare, and would need a pretty open-and-shut-case of some gross violation for a team to be willing to risk going to court over it.

Banging fellow employees may be the kind of cause a team could use to fire you, but I can tell you that not switching someone on Aaron Gordon when he got hot is cause for getting fired. It's a much higher standard than that for one side to unilaterally break the contract. Same goes for Ham. He can't just walk away from his contract because the Lakers traded away a player he likes. It takes more than that.

The Lakers have two options here, realistically. One would be to send Ham home with pay for the next two years and get a new coach. Aside from having to pay two coaches for no good reason, this would also likely lead to Ham lawyering up. He could easily argue that the Lakers are preventing him from working since he can't get another job while he's home on leave as he's still under contract. Why would the Lakers want this headache?

The other, much better option, is asking Ham how much of the 10 million they owe him over the next two years would he be willing to give up in order to be a free man tomorrow and be able to work anywhere else in the organization. This is how player buyouts work, as well. This is in everyone's interest, too. Ham wants to get a new job as soon as possible, even if it means giving up some of the money from his Lakers deal because it works out in the end.

If he takes 7 million to walk and then gets a job with team XYZ that pays him only 3 million a year, he will still make 13 million over the next two years instead of 10 he would if he sat at home being paid by the Lakers. The Lakers win because they save 3 million and don't have to spend more time and money in courts fighting this.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,419

Post#84 » by JellosJigglin » Thu May 2, 2024 10:18 pm

Childs wrote:Who would want to coach this team? Above all else you would want stability. This isn’t Prime LeBron, it’s 40 year old LeBron.

True. Which is why I'm not optimistic even if Ham is fired. I do believe he was holding the team back and they underperformed with his obsession with small ball and Reddish/Prince.

I don't think it's an attractive position for a head coach. Lebron/Klutch has too much influence over the franchise, and he and AD are going to be worse each year until they retire. They're too good to blow it all up, but not good enough to compete without adding talent with a razor thin margin of error to work with.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,164

Post#85 » by HMFFL » Thu May 2, 2024 10:22 pm

DLoMor wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275528/Darvin-Hams-Future-As-Lakers-Head-Coach-In-Serious-Peril

Apparently he would play favorites and never took blame. What do you guys think?
It doesn't matter what I think.
The majority of us knew Ham had no business being a Head Coach but Lebron James wanted him. When things get rough Lebron always hides and leaves his coaches to defend themselves. I will never forget when he wanted Spo fired and Pat Riley said no.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
LaLover11
Bench Warmer
And1: 868

Post#86 » by LaLover11 » Thu May 2, 2024 11:38 pm

It's going to be Rondo/JJ Reddick with Bud as the assistant coach. You heard it here 1st
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
doogie_hauser
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,355

Post#87 » by doogie_hauser » Thu May 2, 2024 11:50 pm

Happy for Ham to be finally put out of his misery coaching this team that has more holes and flaws in it than Swiss Cheese.

Unless there is some serious talent upgrades to the roster in the off season, don't think another coach (whoever they are) will make much of a difference.

Pelinka should also be be fired, he is more responsible for the Lakers current state than Ham.
reddyplayerone
Junior
And1: 373

Post#88 » by reddyplayerone » Thu May 2, 2024 11:54 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:Well you're a fan too FYI. And unless I was bashing him for playing Reaves/Russell, which I wasn't, this whole line of conversation is irrelevant.

One thing I hope to never do is put myself in a position where I'm representing myself as anything more than a fan. I know my lane and my limits.

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
Again, I wasn't killing him for that, so that's irrelevant.

Except it is relevant because it's establishing context. He didn't bench Austin or D'Lo when other guys were lighting it up, in fact he did it at a time when both guys were struggling so much even the laymen fans scattered throughout the internet were calling for them to be benched.

They turned around and killed Ham for benching those guys after he did it too, because that's how this seems to always work. Like I said, it seems Darvin's biggest crime here is that he didn't will those guys into hitting the ground running and staying consistent throughout the season and pulling 50+ wins and a high seed out of this group.

Injuries and underperformance suck. It sucks that those things happened to us this season, but as another poster alluded, it's unreasonable to believe Darvin was making guys play so poorly nearly the entire fanbase was calling them unplayable.

NyKnicks1714 wrote:None of this is relevant as it pertains to starting Reddish/Vanderbilt and having Reaves/Russell come off the bench.

Yeah injuries and underperformance and simple availability of individual guys on a roster are all highly relevant actually and I'm not at all interested in holding anyone's hand through trying to understand that.

NyKnicks1714 wrote:Cool. Doesn't apply to what I'm saying at all

Well so what are you saying here, then? Simply that Ham should be fired for benching Austin and D'Lo, even though they were in fact underperforming, to the point fans were in fact asking for them to be benched?

Or that he should be fired for playing guys like Reddish and Prince when people liked those acquisitions when they happened, and at one point they were literally the only wings with any experience available to play outside of LeBron?

Reddish completely lost his spot in the rotation as the season went on btw. And Prince improved as the season went on and the team got healthier and the rotations stabilized. That seems like it should matter in this discussion yes.

NyKnicks1714 wrote:No, it's what he says on said podcast, and to a lesser degree when calling games. Lots of former NBA players have popular podcasts. I don't think they should all be coaches. And no, he hasn't coached before. The Lakers don't have much to lose; it's worth the risk.

If you're trying to say it's unfair to hire first-time coaches when there are a lot of assistants who have paid their dues, fair enough, but that's not what you said.

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
Who said he'd "do much better right away"? I said he has a good chance to be better.

So I don't know that I necessarily care that much about fairness with regards to this subject, insomuch as I'm assuming the Lakers will and have practiced fair hiring ethics with regards to not caring about things that are actually irrelevant like race or gender or sexuality or anything like that.

I'm not particularly attached to Darvin Ham as the head coach of my favorite team. I'm a Lakers fan who would like to see my favorite team win as much as possible, and I don't think the pattern of coaching turnover is necessarily conducive to that for a couple of different reasons, even if I will totally acknowledge that no team should stick with a bad coach in the name of continuity or whatever.

I've seen the Lakers go through quite a few coaches since Phil Jackson retired, and so my position on "Should the Lakers get a new coach?" has been and still is this:

Who are they getting that is tangibly better?

Sometimes that answer is fairly easy! Like in the case of a Byron Scott or a Luke Walton or even a Mike D'antoni, the answer was literally just about anyone but them. But those are guys I would put in the "Bad to the point it actively hurts and limits your team" pile of coaches that I alluded to in an earlier post.

So like, sure, fire Darvin Ham, who I think is probably going to have a fairly solid-average career as an NBA head coach. BUT, when you fire your coach and go looking for a new one, you open yourself up to the risk of hiring a Scott, Walton, D'antoni, etc.

And as someone who watched teams coached by those guys, I can tell you from experience that yes there is in fact quite a lot to lose with those kinds of disaster hires! Especially considering this is a team whose centerpieces are 40 and 35 years old respectively!

And there's simply no reason to believe that JJ Redick of all people wouldn't be one of those disaster hires.

Like we're talking about a guy who thinks Larry Bird would stink in today's NBA.

But even if we ignore all of the tangibly dumb stuff he's said on his podcast or on ESPN, or any other possible red flags, there's still the simple fact that there's absolutely zero precedent for a guy with no coaching experience whatsoever just coming in and succeeding as a head coach at the NBA level. In fact, the most recent examples we have of other teams trying this resulted in disasters - Derek Fisher, Steve Nash, I feel like I'm forgetting one now... Oh yeah Jason Kidd, who is probably the most successful example of this type of hire? And I feel like nobody wants Jason Kidd to be the coach of their team.
LaLover11
Bench Warmer

Post#89 » by LaLover11 » Thu May 2, 2024 11:55 pm

doogie_hauser wrote:Happy for Ham to be finally put out of his misery coaching this team that has more holes and flaws in it than Swiss Cheese.

Unless there is some serious talent upgrades to the roster in the off season, don't think another coach (whoever they are) will make much of a difference.

Pelinka should also be be fired, he is more responsible for the Lakers current state than Ham.

Bob Myers will takeover Pelinka
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,047

Post#90 » by NyKnicks1714 » Fri May 3, 2024 12:17 am

sikma42 wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:
reddyplayerone wrote:

This completely ignores how all of Twitter was BEGGING for Austin to be benched at the beginning of the season, or how Twitter was BEGGING for D'Lo to be benched and/or traded all December while he struggled that whole month, or how Jarred and Rui both missed significant time at the beginning of the season, or how Rui struggled when he first came back from having his face broken.

And even then, the Lakers still won 47 games this year, and would likely still be playing had they not drawn the worst possible first round matchup possible, and we're only a year removed from a conference finals run.

But I'm sure JJ Redick will fix it.

Well one, I don't care about what fans are saying on twitter. If he was basing his rotations on what fans thought, which I don't think he was, then that's a bad thing. Don't get your point there at all.

His early season lineups were awful. The Lakers couldn't score at times. To have both Russell AND Reaves on the bench as you start Reddish and Vanderbilt together makes absolutely no sense in today's NBA. Luckily for him and the team, he was able to land on the right starting lineup. It just took way too long.

As for your last sentence...no one said Reddick is going to "fix it". He'd have a great chance to simply be a better coach than Ham has been. He has a great basketball mind and the makings of a good coach. He may also may help get Lakers ownership/management out of the pre-analytics dark age they're stuck in.

People get so caught up in saying it's unfair to fire coaches, that they don't deserve the blame. It's not about that. Sometimes there are just better options out there. It's no different than trading players for better players.

Wait, you think JJ Reddick is a great basketball mind and has some high level skill relating to basketball analytics. These are too ridiculous assertions. I honestly hope he gets the Lakers job now bc it’s gonna be hilarious.

Uh no. When did I say that? Respond to what people are saying, not what you want them to be saying.

He understands the value of analytics, and that could be a driver for the Lakers to start implementing analytics in the ways other teams do.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM

Post#91 » by NyKnicks1714 » Fri May 3, 2024 12:20 am

reddyplayerone wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:Cool. Doesn't apply to what I'm saying at all

Well so what are you saying here, then? Simply that Ham should be fired for benching Austin and D'Lo, even though they were in fact underperforming, to the point fans were in fact asking for them to be benched?

No, that was just the thing I mentioned in this thread. There are a host of other reasons.

And again: I don't care what fans were saying. They were dead wrong and I wasn't one of them. I don't evaluate a coach based on what fans are saying.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,804

Post#92 » by sikma42 » Fri May 3, 2024 12:57 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
sikma42 wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:
Well one, I don't care about what fans are saying on twitter. If he was basing his rotations on what fans thought, which I don't think he was, then that's a bad thing. Don't get your point there at all.

His early season lineups were awful. The Lakers couldn't score at times. To have both Russell AND Reaves on the bench as you start Reddish and Vanderbilt together makes absolutely no sense in today's NBA. Luckily for him and the team, he was able to land on the right starting lineup. It just took way too long.

As for your last sentence...no one said Reddick is going to "fix it". He'd have a great chance to simply be a better coach than Ham has been. He has a great basketball mind and the makings of a good coach. He may also may help get Lakers ownership/management out of the pre-analytics dark age they're stuck in.

People get so caught up in saying it's unfair to fire coaches, that they don't deserve the blame. It's not about that. Sometimes there are just better options out there. It's no different than trading players for better players.

Wait, you think JJ Reddick is a great basketball mind and has some high level skill relating to basketball analytics. These are too ridiculous assertions. I honestly hope he gets the Lakers job now bc it’s gonna be hilarious.

Uh no. When did I say that? Respond to what people are saying, not what you want them to be saying.

He understands the value of analytics, and that could be a driver for the Lakers to start implementing analytics in the ways other teams do.

You said he was a great basketball mind. The indefensible. Just own it.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,686

Post#93 » by EmpireFalls » Fri May 3, 2024 1:00 am

No coach could’ve coached that team to a title.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM

Post#94 » by NyKnicks1714 » Fri May 3, 2024 1:01 am

sikma42 wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:
sikma42 wrote:

I do think he's a great basketball mind. I'm not under any impression he has skills pertaining to analytics though, which was the straw man you made.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,970

Post#95 » by zeebneeb » Fri May 3, 2024 1:04 am

Yeah because Darvin Ham was the problem with the Lakers.

:lol:
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,804

Post#96 » by sikma42 » Fri May 3, 2024 1:05 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
sikma42 wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:

I do think he's a great basketball mind. I'm not under any impression he has skills pertaining to analytics though, which was the straw man you made.

It’s a silly assertion. JJ isn’t some great basketball mind and obviously has shown nothing of the sort.

Also, please show you work..why do you think he understands the value of analytics more than the current staff or other coaching candidates. What makes him uniquely situated.

LaLover11
Bench Warmer

Post#97 » by LaLover11 » Fri May 3, 2024 1:17 am

zeebneeb wrote:Yeah because Darvin Ham was the problem with the Lakers.

Oh no you're right he was great with adjustments, rotations and timeouts/challenges

You're totally right
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#98 » by zeebneeb » Fri May 3, 2024 1:39 am

LaLover11 wrote:

Oh no you're right he was great with adjustments, rotations and timeouts/challenges

You're totally right
No doubt. I mean with that roster, they totally should have beaten the defending champs.

Inexcusable from Ham.
LaLover11
Bench Warmer

Post#99 » by LaLover11 » Fri May 3, 2024 1:46 am

zeebneeb wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:

You're totally right
No doubt. I mean with that roster, they totally should have beaten the defending champs.

Inexcusable from Ham.

Found Ham's realgm account lol

Bro why didn't you play Max Christie any minutes?
You also could've gave some minutes to Reddish in 2 minute spurts, I know you love D Lo but he could've came off the bench vs Nuggets bench warmers
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#100 » by zeebneeb » Fri May 3, 2024 1:50 am

LaLover11 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:

You're totally right

Inexcusable from Ham.

Found Ham's realgm account lol

Bro why didn't you play Max Christie any minutes?
You also could've gave some minutes to Reddish in 2 minute spurts, I know you love D Lo but he could've came off the bench vs Nuggets bench warmers
Love it. Keep throwing Ham under the bus.

It sounds like you expected this Lakers team, to beat the Nuggets?

Stay true. Purple and Gold for life yo.

Return to The General Board