Has Anthony Edwards Surpassed Jayson Tatum?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,690

Re: Has Anthony Edwards Surpassed Jayson Tatum? 

Post#81 » by tsherkin » Wed May 1, 2024 4:45 pm

shi-woo wrote:I mean Tatum's a Top 10 player, so idk what more people can expect from him.

Tatum showed potential to be a Top 4-5 guy in the league,, and a lot of you people are still clinging onto that sentiment even when most Celtic fans gave up on that years ago. Really it's just fans of other teams who try to make it seem like everyone thinks Tatum is some powerhouse player that is the face of the league, when he's not. This dude didn't even start making it onto comercials until last year.

Yeah, I've been fairly careful not to imply that it is Boston's fan base which has done it for a reason, if that was directed at me. Top 10, maybe. Top 4-5... not until he gets a major facelift to his game.

Tatum isnt a bang on his chest and scream every play type of guy, so ost people don't like him and have given him the unfair soft/doesn't have IT label.

At least for me, IDGAF about the aesthetics of his game, just the mechanics. I don't need some incendiary, screaming moron. I was a Duncan fan back in the day, heh.

I think the issue is resiliency, playoff performance, overall offensive impact, playmaking, that kind of stuff. It's pretty irrefutable that he isn't a tier-one offensive player. That isn't a sin, and it won't stop him from potentially winning a title with the Celtics. It's just frustrating when people try to overreach... as is also the case with how premature folks are being with Ant at the moment.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,300

Post#82 » by Klomp » Wed May 1, 2024 5:41 pm

I think some of Tatum's perceptions could be because the NBA casual is getting bored with him. This is his seventh season. He's been to the playoffs every year. The Celtics have been a No. 1 or 2 seed five times. And to this point, Tatum has no hardware to show for it. At this point, maybe he's just on the level of a Reggie Miller?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
karmew32
Ballboy
And1: 54

Post#83 » by karmew32 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:45 pm

Domejandro wrote:Jayson Tatum is currently a better player who is able to put up worse stats due to his team being unethically loaded because of Boston Celtics front office blood magic.

The Celtics are indeed a loaded team, but not unethically. When I think of unethically loaded, I think of the KD Warriors due to how they got that loaded: an unprecedented cap spike enabling them to stack the deck by poaching their biggest conference rival's best player. If the NBA had a Code of Ethics regarding roster construction, I imagine that would've been a blatant violation. I doubt we see anything like that for a few decades at least.
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 931

Post#84 » by Special_Puppy » Wed May 1, 2024 5:45 pm

Jesus Christ. Look at a longer track record than 4 games
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,980

Post#85 » by thinktank » Wed May 1, 2024 5:47 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:Jesus Christ. Look at a longer track record than 4 games

First you were saying 15 games. Now 4 games. ;)
“Tatum is garbage.” “Tatum is literally dogcrap.” -The Corey’s
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by Klomp » Wed May 1, 2024 5:48 pm

Are you new? This isn't Ant's first time in the playoffs.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer

Post#87 » by Special_Puppy » Wed May 1, 2024 5:54 pm

Klomp wrote:

Sorry. Jesus Christ. Look at a longer track record than 15 games. You really should be using 200+ game samples to assess players (Or a a bare minimum 60+). If Ant is able to sustain this kind of play over 200+ or even 60+ games then I'd reassess him.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#88 » by Klomp » Wed May 1, 2024 6:02 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Sorry. Jesus Christ. Look at a longer track record than 15 games. You really should be using 200+ game samples to assess players (Or a a bare minimum 60+). If Ant is able to sustain this kind of play over 200+ or even 60+ games then I'd reassess him.

I guess we are only allowed to talk about the legacies of 10 players in the NBA modern era then, since only 10 have played in 200 playoff games. Not even Michael Jordan and his 179 playoff games played are eligible for discussion.

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by tsherkin » Wed May 1, 2024 6:05 pm

Klomp wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:
Klomp wrote:Are you new? This isn't Ant's first time in the playoffs.

I guess we are only allowed to talk about the legacies of 10 players in the NBA modern era then, since only 10 have played in 200 playoff games. Not even Michael Jordan and his 179 playoff games played are eligible for discussion.

Well put.
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer

Post#90 » by Special_Puppy » Wed May 1, 2024 6:05 pm

Klomp wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:
Klomp wrote:Are you new? This isn't Ant's first time in the playoffs.

I'm saying that if Ant is able to sustain this level of play over the next 200+ games (regular+post season) or just the next 60+ games (regular or post-season) then I'd reassess him.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,980

Post#91 » by thinktank » Wed May 1, 2024 6:37 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:

I'm saying that if Ant is able to sustain this level of play over the next 200+ games (regular+post season) or just the next 60+ games (regular or post-season) then I'd reassess him.

Your name is perfect.
“Tatum is garbage.” “Tatum is literally dogcrap.” -The Corey’s
Blazing_royale
General Manager
And1: 2,055

Post#92 » by Blazing_royale » Sun May 5, 2024 12:11 pm

Has last night's game against Nuggets changed this opinion?
Any Pokémon fans out there? Check out my Youtube channel jchucollection
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by tsherkin » Sun May 5, 2024 12:36 pm

Blazing_royale wrote:Has last night's game against Nuggets changed this opinion?

No. It's still just one game, and his shooting spreads ARE going to cool down eventually.

But it surely didn't hurt. That was a big game against a good team, and consistent with his postseason pattern to date. It's possible that as next season gets started, those of us who aren't presently on the train might be looking back at that game as his "coming out party" so to speak. Obviously, he's been doing this for longer than that, but it's not just in the first round anymore. We'll see. He's going to have a little shooting regression, and likely inside this series if Denver puts up any kind of fight. That might change things as well, we'll have to wait and see.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,620

Post#94 » by Jaqua92 » Sun May 5, 2024 1:17 pm

5IVE5TAR5 wrote:I think so, he's been better on both sides of the floor and he's showing he can be a 1 option for a title team.

Ant isn't better on the defensive end. He's also not been proven to be a better scorer, outside of 6 playoff games.

Tatum also has had multiple big time clutch elimination games.

Ant will be better..but it isn't this year. He and the Wolves get smoked by the Celtics if they get to the finals.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#95 » by tsherkin » Sun May 5, 2024 1:41 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:Ant isn't better on the defensive end. He's also not been proven to be a better scorer, outside of 6 playoff games.

At this point, it's actually based on 16 playoff games, not 6. Just FWIW.
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,166

Post#96 » by DarkAzcura » Sun May 5, 2024 1:53 pm

tsherkin wrote:
shi-woo wrote:I mean Tatum's a Top 10 player, so idk what more people can expect from him.

Tatum showed potential to be a Top 4-5 guy in the league,, and a lot of you people are still clinging onto that sentiment even when most Celtic fans gave up on that years ago. Really it's just fans of other teams who try to make it seem like everyone thinks Tatum is some powerhouse player that is the face of the league, when he's not. This dude didn't even start making it onto comercials until last year.

Yeah, I've been fairly careful not to imply that it is Boston's fan base which has done it for a reason, if that was directed at me. Top 10, maybe. Top 4-5... not until he gets a major facelift to his game.

Tatum isnt a bang on his chest and scream every play type of guy, so ost people don't like him and have given him the unfair soft/doesn't have IT label.

At least for me, IDGAF about the aesthetics of his game, just the mechanics. I don't need some incendiary, screaming moron. I was a Duncan fan back in the day, heh.

I think the issue is resiliency, playoff performance, overall offensive impact, playmaking, that kind of stuff. It's pretty irrefutable that he isn't a tier-one offensive player. That isn't a sin, and it won't stop him from potentially winning a title with the Celtics. It's just frustrating when people try to overreach... as is also the case with how premature folks are being with Ant at the moment.

You mentioned to another poster that you were surprised that all you hear about is his playoff failures. I agree with that poster. I have seen several people on this forum and elsewhere talk about Tatum as a playoff choker, even though he scored 40+ against the Bucks down 3-2 in the Bucks’ arena to push it to game 7. He also has the record for most points in a game 7. The guy absolutely obliterated Durant in 2022 with incredible defense. I rarely hear about these games. I just hear he is a choker. I dunno how a choker does those things that he did.

People love to focus on the Finals as you did earlier, even though he was playing with a fractured wrist.

In the end, the guy has had multiple years of success, and nowadays you hear about how stacked his teams are even though his impact stats are some of the best in the league. He’s about to make his third all NBA first team. Making 3 all NBA first teams is an incredible feat, to be honest.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by tsherkin » Sun May 5, 2024 1:57 pm

DarkAzcura wrote:You mentioned to another poster that you were surprised that all you hear about is his playoff failures. I agree with that poster. I have seen several people on this forum and elsewhere talk about Tatum as a playoff choker, even though he scored 40+ against the Bucks down 3-2 in the Bucks’ arena to push it to game 7. He also has the record for most points in a game 7.

He's had his ups and downs. It's a consequence of being so reliant upon his 3pt shot and having so little middle game.

People love to focus on the Finals as you did earlier, even though he was playing with a fractured wrist.

Yup, it's a fair mention.

In the end, the guy has had multiple years of success, and nowadays you hear about how stacked his teams are even though his impact stats are some of the best in the league. He’s about to make his third all NBA first team. Making 3 all NBA first teams is an incredible feat, to be honest.

Yeah, he's a good player. He probably shouldn't have made this many First Teams, tbh, but he's still quite good. I think part of the reason he receives a lot of feedback is that his offensive impact stats aren't as impressive as his peers at the top. He's a pretty good offensive player when his shot is falling and a very good defender, so that couples well together but it does present some issues. Again, baseline, very good player, so we're more talking pushback to "yeah, this dude's top 5" and so forth.
firedavidkahn
Senior
And1: 1,085

Post#98 » by firedavidkahn » Sun May 5, 2024 2:15 pm

tsherkin wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:Ant isn't better on the defensive end. He's also not been proven to be a better scorer, outside of 6 playoff games.

At this point, it's actually based on 16 playoff games, not 6. Just FWIW.

People have such short memories. People act like this isn't becoming a regular and predictable thing with Ant.

Ant is a very rare type of player that transforms into a completely different beast come play off (big games for that matter...next year when the Wolves are all over national TV more people will wake up) time.

I made fun of Kobe because his advanced stats were never overwhelmingly elite but the man was always a winner. I didn't get it. But then Ant got drafted to the Wolves and if you watch this dude over any length of time you notice that he impacts winning the same way. I get it now. I don't even necessarily blame people who "dont get it" because until you watch a player like that all the time you just don't understand.
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,166

Post#99 » by DarkAzcura » Sun May 5, 2024 2:16 pm

tsherkin wrote:
DarkAzcura wrote:You mentioned to another poster that you were surprised that all you hear about is his playoff failures. I agree with that poster. I have seen several people on this forum and elsewhere talk about Tatum as a playoff choker, even though he scored 40+ against the Bucks down 3-2 in the Bucks’ arena to push it to game 7. He also has the record for most points in a game 7.

He's had his ups and downs. It's a consequence of being so reliant upon his 3pt shot and having so little middle game.

Yup, it's a fair mention.

Yeah, he's a good player. He probably shouldn't have made this many First Teams, tbh, but he's still quite good. I think part of the reason he receives a lot of feedback is that his offensive impact stats aren't as impressive as his peers at the top. He's a pretty good offensive player when his shot is falling and a very good defender, so that couples well together but it does present some issues. Again, baseline, very good player, so we're more talking pushback to "yeah, this dude's top 5" and so forth.

I agree that he is too reliant on the 3PT shot. This is probably where the whole Ime situation screwed the Celtics to some extent, because I feel like he was pushing him more into the high post, which is where Tatum’s game needs to get to to be more consistent, imo.

I’m not super into player rankings, especially when we were discussing top 5 vs top 10. I would say most people with his resume are considered top 5, at least borderline, but I won’t argue. Whether he deserves all of those all NBA first teams or not is kind of moot. We don’t do that type of retrospective with most players (other than MVP).

I will say that this is the first time in his career that the Celtics were better with him off the court than on, which is why I think the whole argument that the Celtics have been stacked for his whole career kind of funny. They have been very good teams, sure, but the Celtics have typically fallen apart without him on the court…until this season. That rookie season where Kyrie and Hayward were hurt..Horford and Tatum were by far the best players on that team in the playoffs. They had absolutely monster +/- numbers, which is wild for a rookie getting to the ECFs. The team was junk without Horford and Tatum on the floor in those playoffs.

Tatum is a very weird player to analyze. He is over-reliant on the 3 and can be inconsistent offensively, but he still posts ridiculous impact numbers and +/- on/off numbers despite all of that. That’s not usually the sign of a very good player that’s propped up by depth.

Klomp wrote:I think some of Tatum's perceptions could be because the NBA casual is getting bored with him. This is his seventh season. He's been to the playoffs every year. The Celtics have been a No. 1 or 2 seed five times. And to this point, Tatum has no hardware to show for it. At this point, maybe he's just on the level of a Reggie Miller?

Just FYI, Tatum after this season has already surpassed Miller in all NBA teams, and he is only 26. Never mind the fact that Miller never made it beyond all NBA third team, and Tatum has made it to the first team 3 times. He’s also matched Miller in all star appearances already.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,626

Post#100 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Sun May 5, 2024 2:29 pm

I don’t think Minnesota has as good of a matchup v Boston as they do Denver.

Return to The General Board