Joel Embiid is NOT HIM. Period. Full stop.

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,049

Re: Joel Embiid is NOT HIM. Period. Full stop. 

Post#61 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed May 1, 2024 5:17 am

I feel bad for Embiid. He's been saddled with an average at best supporting cast and wasted almost his entire prime in PHI. That Harris contract has haunted that franchise for years. Once he's gone I expect the Sixers to get someone much better and we can revisit whether Embiid is a fraud or not.
Pistol_Pete
Pro Prospect
And1: 534

Post#62 » by Pistol_Pete » Wed May 1, 2024 5:17 am

ScrantonBulls wrote:Is embiid non-binary?

I think he did say in an interview that he was super gay.
:(
Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,591

Post#63 » by Ugly Duckling » Wed May 1, 2024 5:23 am

embiid just had arguably the toughest surgery to bounce back from, especially for someone with his frame. he's probably in a lot of pain. his shot wasn't falling and he got stripped twice when it counted, but he went 19/16/10 with 4 blocks and a steal and was literally playing mvp level hakeem the dream ball before he got hurt
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,591

Post#64 » by Ugly Duckling » Wed May 1, 2024 5:28 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:I feel bad for Embiid. He's been saddled with an average at best supporting cast and wasted almost his entire prime in PHI. That Harris contract has haunted that franchise for years. Once he's gone I expect the Sixers to get someone much better and we can revisit whether Embiid is a fraud or not.

it's not like they didn't try to get him help. he had ben simmons before he lost his confidence and became injury prone, jimmy butler, james harden and complimentary pieces. not to mention tyrese maxey, who is proving to be one of the best guards in the game. if joel didn't have to get a piece of his lateral meniscus removed a couple months ago, the sixers would be the only legit contenders in the east imo
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,049

Post#65 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed May 1, 2024 5:35 am

Ugly Duckling wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:I feel bad for Embiid. He's been saddled with an average at best supporting cast and wasted almost his entire prime in PHI. That Harris contract has haunted that franchise for years. Once he's gone I expect the Sixers to get someone much better and we can revisit whether Embiid is a fraud or not.

it's not like they didn't try to get him help. he had ben simmons before he lost his confidence and became injury prone, jimmy butler, james harden and complimentary pieces. not to mention tyrese maxey, who is proving to be one of the best guards in the game. if joel didn't have to get a piece of his lateral meniscus removed a couple months ago, the sixers would be the only legit contenders in the east imo

I mean, I guess. Simmons was always a head case. Harden is who he is. Jimmy didn't want to be there. Maxey is just another in a long line of high usage chuckers that doesn't play defense. I get that he's going to score and can go off and win you games but those types (Luka, Booker, Sexton, Harden) don't win championships. Then there's the whole passing on Tatum to take Fultz and losing the following year's #1 pick. It's been a disaster. Embiid has either been injured or shrunk in big moment so he's not faultless. I'm just saying, when they replace Harris with someone like George and improve their depth, we'll finally see whether Embiid is truly not "him" because he'll have no excuses.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,040

Post#66 » by NZB2323 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:36 am

SNPA wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:
SNPA wrote:Why not just use Him? Saves capitalizing two more letters.

1. I didn’t invent it.

2. I think it’s supposed to be about how the person is larger than life, a superstar, THE MAN! There can only be 1. It’s like the BAMF belt in the UFC.

Lol. Number one, I know. Just have a laugh here.

For number two, wouldn’t HIMSELF be superior then? Has anyone tried that? It has more than double the letters.

I think himself has a connotation of someone being comfortable with themselves. Like how Kwame Brown played 10 years in the NBA and made millions of dollars and considers himself a success.

I also think it being short lends it power, like GOD, KING, or MVP. A word doesn’t have to be long to hold power.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,893

Post#67 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed May 1, 2024 5:38 am

The GB is SO butthurt that they can't bury Embiid because they won.

So sorry, guys.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,311

Post#68 » by SNPA » Wed May 1, 2024 5:38 am

NZB2323 wrote:
SNPA wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:
1. I didn’t invent it.

2. I think it’s supposed to be about how the person is larger than life, a superstar, THE MAN! There can only be 1. It’s like the BAMF belt in the UFC.

Lol. Number one, I know. Just have a laugh here.

For number two, wouldn’t HIMSELF be superior then? Has anyone tried that? It has more than double the letters.

I think himself has a connotation of someone being comfortable with themselves. Like how Kwame Brown played 10 years in the NBA and made millions of dollars and considers himself a success.

I also think it being short lends it power, like GOD, KING, or MVP. A word doesn’t have to be long to hold power.

H

Beat that.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,040

Post#69 » by NZB2323 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:40 am

In 2019 he had a solid supporting cast:

Jimmy Butler
Ben Simmons
Tobias Harris
JJ Redick

However he came up short that year because that year Kawhi was HIM.
Tottery
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,399

Post#70 » by Tottery » Wed May 1, 2024 5:59 am

Eh, he's had a pretty good series outside of this game, but even then he was good on the defensive end. Limping around and all. I'm not a fan of Embiid...think he is a cry baby, but you can't underrate the guy.

That said, Sixer fans should be happy they let Hardin go. Maxey has shown he isn't a fluke and can get it done in the playoffs as well. He's only 23. If he avoids serious injury, they can get a solid 12 years out of him at least. Just need the right players around him.
Biff
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#71 » by Biff » Wed May 1, 2024 6:15 am

Modern version of Wilt. (before you @ me, check Wilts playoff stats vs regular season)
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#72 » by skones » Wed May 1, 2024 7:28 am

Sixers in 4 wrote:He shouldn't be playing he can barely move and Nurse is playing him the entire 2nd half.

I love how the GB pretends like we don't know what Embiid looks like healthy. If you want to bash him for always getting injured around this time go ahead. Completely fair.

But stop pretending this is what Embiid is as a player. It isn't. He's clearly hurt.

These two things contradict one another. At a certain point you are what you are, and that's always injured this time of year. You acknowledge that it always happens, and then want to deny that's part of what he is as a player?

You sure it's not you who's pretending at this point? Healthy playoff Embiid is a Healthy Kawhi. Neither exist.

Listen, Embiid is an excellent player, but when you want the MVP, and you bitch and moan about it, don't complain when you're held to a different standard than the rest when you don't get it done.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,857

Post#73 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed May 1, 2024 7:33 am

All I know is we go on runs when he's not in the game.
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#74 » by LordCovington33 » Wed May 1, 2024 8:08 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:Don't see how you can hate on a nearly 300 7'0 guy coming off an in-season meniscus surgery and who's clearly laboring and in pretty big pain at times still gutting it out, honestly. Had a lot of turnovers tonight but it was a choppy, physical game.

You got to look at the source of that comment.
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,078

Post#75 » by Exp0sed » Wed May 1, 2024 8:28 am

eyeatoma wrote:Cubbies came in for the And1 farming, got the ultimate ratio.

post some per min stat about his scoring, why don't ya?
in the rs he has 37 in 3 quarters vs. the Hornets and in an elimination game he had 19 pts in 48 mins with 10 To's (yes, he had 10 not 9, rewatch the game and count). you really can't make this stuff up...
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,433

Post#76 » by brutalitops » Wed May 1, 2024 8:51 am

Imagine caring and enjoying a sport so much you talk about it on an online forum, while being so pathetic at witnessing and understanding the sport you have a garbage take like OP
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,621

Post#77 » by KGtabake » Wed May 1, 2024 9:00 am

Chokic wrote:
One Last Shot wrote:It sucks that Embiid ruined Jokic's 4 straight MVPs.

Nah jokic was just extremely fortunate embiid was injury prone otherwise he would only have 1 mvp.

If the media weren't vote fatigued, it would have been Giannis winning again MVPs if not Jokic.
Embiid isn't on their level and that is proven more than once.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 993

Post#78 » by Decipher » Wed May 1, 2024 9:02 am

Knicks GB posters have gotten me supporting Embiid and I can’t stand the guy

That’s some seriously powerful juju
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,874

Post#79 » by stormi » Wed May 1, 2024 10:06 am

KGtabake wrote:
Chokic wrote:
One Last Shot wrote:It sucks that Embiid ruined Jokic's 4 straight MVPs.

Nah jokic was just extremely fortunate embiid was injury prone otherwise he would only have 1 mvp.

If the media weren't vote fatigued, it would have been Giannis winning again MVPs if not Jokic.
Embiid isn't on their level and that is proven more than once.

Feels like heavy revisionism here.

Last season Embiid -> 33.1 pts, 10.2 reb, 4.2 ast on 65.5 TS% -- the best scoring season at that efficiency since Steph 2016 (30.1 on 66.9 TS%)

- Three 50 point games in a single season -- most at his position since Kareem

- Most PPG on 50% shooting since MJ

- Had 59/11/8 with a steal and 7 blocks, which at the time a top 10 regular season game score performance ever.

- 47/18/5 with 3 steals and 2 blocks on national television against Denver.

- 52/11/6 on 20/25 shooting against Boston.

- Ridiculous clutch time performances including 6 game winners or go ahead shots late in 4th quarters + multiple game saving blocks.

All while anchoring a top 10 defense on a team that started Maxey and Harden all season whilst being 90th+ percentile in all rim deterrent metrics.

He was also a 2x runner up and was right around the peaks of the strawpolls again this current season before he did his meniscus in, which means that the NBA has collectively viewed him as a top ~2 player impact wise for four consecutive campaigns. Doesn't seem fair to paint him to be some sort of outlier one season wonder charity case.

His talent level, production and accomplishments can't be discussed in good faith as he's a divisive entity.
QingJames
Sixth Man
And1: 2,268

Joel Embiid is NOT HIM. Period. Full stop. 

Post#80 » by QingJames » Wed May 1, 2024 10:40 am

Embiid is just such an amazing, transcendental defender that Brunson was driving at him and cooking him at will all game long. In fact, Brunson is averaging 29 drives per game in this postseason, with the only one close to him being Doncic at 23. Wow, what a rim deterrent Embiid is!
eyeatoma wrote:You guys still dont' get it. Playoff accomplishment don't matter when you're up for your 1st MVP. When you're up for your 3rd in a row, damn straight it matters, as the only ones who done it are top 15 players of all time who have won rings.

Return to The General Board