The Clutch Game is decided by little guards

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Re: The Clutch Game is decided by little guards 

Post#21 » by NZB2323 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:46 pm

bovice wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:
bovice wrote:
name a team whose best player is a big who won a championship without having clutch shot makers around him. Horry hit clutch jumpers for Duncan and hakeem. Middleton and jrue made jump shots down the stretch for giannis. big men cant win without great jump shooters around them because ur not closing games out with post ups. see ewing

[youtube]KDryOGS9iWI[youtube]

[youtube]Lj5oAO4JjTY[youtube]

[youtube]davs7ACOFPE[youtube]

[youtube]VE-1zHHayDg[youtube]

[youtube]nwrYHFvtzI4[youtube]

[youtube]_I4K3veUMiI[youtube]

Dirk, AD, Jokic, and Embiid can all make 3s or drive to the basket. Kareem had more range than Dr. J. And I’m pretty sure that both Jordan and Kobe have made game winning shots from a post-up.

yes I am aware that big men can shoot 3s. I feel like you're more interested in being right than understanding my point. maybe re read my post and ask me what part you're confused about and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have

Dirk is one of the most clutch players of all time.

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2020/5/20/21264006/dirk-nowitzki-michael-jordan-clutch-moments-awesome

https://thesmokingcuban.com/2020/05/28/dallas-mavericks-dirk-nowitzki-clutch/#

Dirk is the one who took clutch shots for the Mavs. It wasn’t Nash, Devin Harris, or Jason Kidd taking the clutch shots, it was Dirk, and he did an incredible job making them.

Jokic has a lot of Dirk in him, and Jokic can bring the ball up the court. In the clutch I like the ball in Jokic’s hands, and he can hit the game winning shot or kill teams with a pass.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,667

Post#22 » by tsherkin » Wed May 1, 2024 4:50 pm

bovice wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:
bovice wrote:yup

shot blocking, rebounding, and paint presence are replaceable attributes in comparison to elite shot making.

you can replace Pau with Duncan, Garnett, Stoudemire, Bogut, Dwight, Bosh, Horford but you can only replace Kobe with Dwade. so despite Pau doing more for the team, Kobe was the more valuable one. no matter how great a big man is, they always needed players around them that could hit big shots to close out games. Kenny Smith, Robert Horry, Chauncy Billups, Murray, etc ...

Robert Horry is a big, and so are Kareem, Dirk, AD, and Embiid, who have all hit game winning shots.

name a team whose best player is a big who won a championship without having clutch shot makers around him. Horry hit clutch jumpers for Duncan and hakeem. Middleton and jrue made jump shots down the stretch for giannis. big men cant win without great jump shooters around them because ur not closing games out with post ups. see ewing

You realize that Ewing was a face-up big who loved 17-footers, right? And who withered in his personal performance scoring in the postseason? He isn't the example you wanted.

But ultimately what you're saying is that ANY player needs his roleplayers to support him with timely performances and shots. Even someone like Dirk. You need a team to step up in order to win a title, that's... supremely obvious.

Yeah, mobile bigs with jumpers are a little bit more capable than a conventional low-block guy at getting things done... but there have been very few of those in league history who were volume scorers to begin with. You're basically describing Wilt, Artis Gilmore and Shaq. Even Kareem had range, like when he stuck that 15-foot skyhook in the 85 Finals at the buzzer.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,817

Post#23 » by TinmanZBoy » Wed May 1, 2024 5:27 pm

Ball in their hands
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
SweaterBae
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,113

Post#24 » by SweaterBae » Thu May 2, 2024 2:29 am

bovice wrote:
SweaterBae wrote:
bovice wrote:
I think you're misinterpreting my point. jokic is the best player on Denver. I'm not saying your best player has to be a guard. I would never build a team where my best player is a pg or a small player. you rarely win that way

I don't understand your point then. You need a good team. You specifically called out bigs needing others, when it is literaly the opposite. Isolating "clutch shot makers" doesn't make much sense, especially in the context of how terrible Murray has been in the playoffs. Hakeem needed Mario Elie? You didn't say players, you said bigs.

I'm saying giannis can't close out games. he can't score as easily when the game is slowed down and there's a timeout after a change of possession and the defense is set. players like jokic and maybe embiid and now maybe wemby are an anomaly. a Shaq post up when down 3 with 15 seconds isn't the play. what you need is someone to kick the ball out to who can hit a clutch jumper (Horry) or someone who is elite at creating their own shot in those moments (Kobe/kawhi/Jordan).

and my second point is that the skill level of the elite shot creator is more valuable than the skillet of a great big man because the things that the big man does are more easily replaceable. the difference between the best shot blocker and 8th best is not that big. the difference between the best rebounder and the 10th best is not that big. but the difference between Kobe's ability to get a good look vs whoever the 10th best person is in his era is wayy bigger

I understand what you're saying. I had too many beers last night and just wanted to be difficult, I guess.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 4,040

Post#25 » by bledredwine » Thu May 2, 2024 2:45 am

The clutch game is decided by people who can shoot.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
bovice
Pro Prospect
And1: 949

Post#26 » by bovice » Thu May 2, 2024 4:01 am

SweaterBae wrote:
bovice wrote:
SweaterBae wrote:
I don't understand your point then. You need a good team. You specifically called out bigs needing others, when it is literaly the opposite. Isolating "clutch shot makers" doesn't make much sense, especially in the context of how terrible Murray has been in the playoffs. Hakeem needed Mario Elie? You didn't say players, you said bigs.

I'm saying giannis can't close out games. he can't score as easily when the game is slowed down and there's a timeout after a change of possession and the defense is set. players like jokic and maybe embiid and now maybe wemby are an anomaly. a Shaq post up when down 3 with 15 seconds isn't the play. what you need is someone to kick the ball out to who can hit a clutch jumper (Horry) or someone who is elite at creating their own shot in those moments (Kobe/kawhi/Jordan).

and my second point is that the skill level of the elite shot creator is more valuable than the skillet of a great big man because the things that the big man does are more easily replaceable. the difference between the best shot blocker and 8th best is not that big. the difference between the best rebounder and the 10th best is not that big. but the difference between Kobe's ability to get a good look vs whoever the 10th best person is in his era is wayy bigger

I understand what you're saying. I had too many beers last night and just wanted to be difficult, I guess.

all love
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,165

Post#27 » by Lalouie » Thu May 2, 2024 6:33 am

well,,,,,,they have the ball
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,621

Post#28 » by KGtabake » Thu May 2, 2024 8:03 am

It has always been like that.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.

Return to The General Board