The day Maxey became better then Embiid...

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,478

Re: The day Maxey became better then Embiid... 

Post#21 » by MrGoat » Wed May 1, 2024 4:59 am

Don't do this. Maxey doesn't deserve to have the well poisoned against him. Beast performance today
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,274

Post#22 » by KnixtapeH20 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:02 am

lol

Can maxey do what he's doing now as the #1?

Take embiitch out of the lineup then we will see how good he really is. until then you can't make silly blanket statements like this
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,893

Post#23 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed May 1, 2024 5:41 am

zimpy27 wrote:This absolute desperation from the anti-Embiid crowd is making me like the guy

It is pathetic - isn't it?

Haters are so mad the Sixers won. They all had their shots lined up...but then they had to go ahead and win the game.

Bad knee? Who cares? Brace that looks like a cast? So? Bell's palsy? WTF is that?

Never change, GB. Never change.
Felixians4
Freshman
And1: 37

Post#24 » by Felixians4 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:59 am

This forum getting worse with these topics every day, but Sixers hot take can be big true. Maxey Max contract Sion, JoJo enough playoff sample and with injuries it logical he going to minutes and game management in future
Tottery
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,399

Post#25 » by Tottery » Wed May 1, 2024 6:03 am

zimpy27 wrote:This absolute desperation from the anti-Embiid crowd is making me like the guy

Same. I don't like Embiid, but everyone pouring on him is about to make me root for the 76ers lol.
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 938

Post#26 » by perempe20 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:07 am

Nice layups then switched to jumpers around the 4th.
Handlez
Junior
And1: 527

Post#27 » by Handlez » Wed May 1, 2024 6:14 am

What was their record without Embiid?
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,789

Post#28 » by One_and_Done » Wed May 1, 2024 7:59 am

The Sixers were 31-8 with Embiid this year, and 16-27 without him. Just no.

Embiid also has a track record of carrying the team with minimal help.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Gatorade Sax
Senior
And1: 828

Post#29 » by Gatorade Sax » Wed May 1, 2024 8:30 am

I’ve played and followed basketball for well more than half of my life at this point..I’d like to think that I’ve developed somewhat of an understanding about the game in that time. Embiid simply does not play a style that I would define as ‘winning basketball’.

Great individual performer, yes. But he doesn’t elevate teammates with his approach, attitude, style etc. it’s extremely hard to experience sustained success in a team environment with those individuals leading your team. I may be wrong, but just my take.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,433

Post#30 » by brutalitops » Wed May 1, 2024 11:00 am

Jakay wrote:Larry Bird put up 43 points as a career high in the playoffs.

Brunson and/or Maxey > Bird

Yall laughed at me after I said Malachi Flynn is better then Russell due to scoring 50, while Russell never 8-) 8-) 8-)

Also this is a deeply disturbing thread, Maxey is a great player, but how Embiid plays and spaces the floor and has willingly ran high ball screens to let Maxey attack downhill really opened up his game, Plus while Maxey isnt the greatest defenders he has a dude who is one of the top 7 best big defenders in the league, and dial that number up when he's going all out on that end.

Maxey isnt half the player Embiid is, literally, Embiid is much better offensively, and miles defensively, and its no knock on Maxey who should get a max this off-season
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,188

Post#31 » by Iwasawitness » Wed May 1, 2024 11:09 am

Luke wrote:

I'm not anti-Embiid ( I didn't even make a post in that big topic where they discuss if he is a dirty player), but I think that with this game , Maxey will have more value; and the Sixers could easily build around him, if they consider to get a haul for Joel...

I dislike Embiid as much as the next guy and think he’s a terrible playoff performer in general but come on… you can tell just by watching him play that he’s hobbled. I don’t really think we should count this against him that much.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,670

Post#32 » by tsherkin » Wed May 1, 2024 11:14 am

Iwasawitness wrote:
Luke wrote:

I'm not anti-Embiid ( I didn't even make a post in that big topic where they discuss if he is a dirty player), but I think that with this game , Maxey will have more value; and the Sixers could easily build around him, if they consider to get a haul for Joel...

I dislike Embiid as much as the next guy and think he’s a terrible playoff performer in general but come on… you can tell just by watching him play that he’s hobbled. I don’t really think we should count this against him that much.

There are two parts to this, though.

Part one is that yes, he was clearly still injured, and logging minutes which he isn't really capable of managing. They load manage him in the RS because of it, he doesn't have the stamina, so yeah, the ask is heavier in the playoffs between the minutes and his health.

Part two, of course, is that he's ALWAYS injured and... he doesn't have the stamina. Which sets him apart from some of his precessors.

Also, like the eighth time they brought the ball down the floor and he tried to get a post-up on the left block, spun into a double team and got himself in trouble, you'd think he would have stopped doing it...
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,843

Post#33 » by cgf » Wed May 1, 2024 12:39 pm

Joel needs to pull a Willis Reed and take a backseat to his dynamic younger guard if he wants to have the stamina to contribute late in games and actually win. Maxey's still got things to learn, but they need to let those young legs do more of the work, even if that means no more MVP chatter for Embiid.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,271

Post#34 » by CobraCommander » Wed May 1, 2024 12:46 pm

Luke wrote:Age, health, attitude...

Today is that day, definitely...

Ahhh I remember that day when Pippen became better than Jordan too…Kobe surpassed Shaq… Wade was better than Lebron and Westbrook better than KD and Draymond and Klay surpassed Steph…

Wait… or were those games and not careers?

Yeah those were games…. Maxey a baller but if you are a
GM and can only have one of these two for the nexf 3 years and you take Maxey… that will be your last GM job ever .:. In fact if you said let’s keep maxey and let Embiid walk you would be fired on the spot - kicked out the building and they would terminate your healthcare that same afternoon as a sign of disrespect!
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,930

Post#35 » by kuclas » Wed May 1, 2024 12:50 pm

There is this little thing called defense. Embiid even hobbled anchors the defense.

Look at maxey record without embiid.

While maxey is great offensively. He can be the number one option down the stretch for the sixers as embiid fades. But Maxey can’t carry a team. He more Bradley Beal type of impact offensive (when Beal was not injured )
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#36 » by HotelVitale » Wed May 1, 2024 1:09 pm

Capn'O wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:If you don't know, Maxey's a super streak player. He usually has pretty long streaks, not just like 3 minues or whatever; he'll be totally unstoppable and will make like 9 of 12 extremely tough shots one quarter and a half, and then spend the next quarter running around trying to get free.

This game he happened to be on a heater when it mattered most, but we've seen him have absolute duds in the clutch a lot of times too. He's my favorite Sixer since AI and I love him, but he's not the type of guy you build around in the way you can Embiid.

Well if he could NOT do that on Thursday I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

I'll ask. The issue is that he's blessed by some powerful basketball gods, they work a lot of power into that man.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#37 » by HotelVitale » Wed May 1, 2024 1:23 pm

cgf wrote:Joel needs to pull a Willis Reed and take a backseat to his dynamic younger guard if he wants to have the stamina to contribute late in games and actually win. Maxey's still got things to learn, but they need to let those young legs do more of the work, even if that means no more MVP chatter for Embiid.

Come on, fellas, the Sixers obviously don't run their offense through Embiid because of 'MVP chatter' or to protect his ego. It's by far their best option and that's been proven over and over again. It's not just that he's a good scorer himself but he also forces defense to collapse, gets people in foul trouble, etc, it just works well to get things going and not much else on the Sixers does. Even when he's playing poorly the offense just has way more structure and flow when he's out there, something always gets created. (And their offense was so bad when he was out this year.) He also really struggles against athletic defenses in the PO that are doubling him at random times, and he tends to make bad decisions in the clutch too, so the Sixers have always needed someone else to step up and fill some shoes in those moments.

But like I've said several times here, Maxey might become more of a steady-handed offensive creator down the line but for now he's mostly a medium-low initiator who can also be a sick and unstoppable scorer when he's on. As a streak scorer he's sometimes on fire but sometimes can't really get free at all and just runs around forcing bad shots when he has to create something for the team. We saw that all season long, it just doens't work consistently. Unfortuately he doesn't yet have that Brunson-type game where he can always create a nice look for himself or others and you can run a system through him over and over.

Last night wasn't him taking the leap to being that guy, it was just him in his streak god mode. Which happens a lot, guy's a really incredible bball player. But not one who's ready to be an offensive hub that a team's built around.
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,923

Post#38 » by TravisScott55 » Wed May 1, 2024 1:26 pm

Maxey had a great game, he isn't better than Embiid.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,670

Post#39 » by tsherkin » Wed May 1, 2024 1:28 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:If you don't know, Maxey's a super streak player. He usually has pretty long streaks, not just like 3 minues or whatever; he'll be totally unstoppable and will make like 9 of 12 extremely tough shots one quarter and a half, and then spend the next quarter running around trying to get free.

This game he happened to be on a heater when it mattered most, but we've seen him have absolute duds in the clutch a lot of times too. He's my favorite Sixer since AI and I love him, but he's not the type of guy you build around in the way you can Embiid.

Well if he could NOT do that on Thursday I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

I'll ask. The issue is that he's blessed by some powerful basketball gods, they work a lot of power into that man.

I unironically love this exchange xD
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,430
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#40 » by E-Balla » Wed May 1, 2024 1:41 pm

To me it's not just that Maxey had a better game, or that he's having a better series. It's that he's playing better than Embiid ever has in the playoffs before. Like what's Embiid's best series the loss to Atlanta? Maxey is blowing that out the water right now.

Return to The General Board