Question for the "We done with the 90's" people

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Showtime 80
Junior
And1: 613

Re: Question for the "We done with the 90's" people 

Post#61 » by Showtime 80 » Thu May 2, 2024 2:51 am

Mephariel wrote:Yes. 90s defenders are not that good. I grew up watching the 90s. Who in the 90s is stopping prime Durant posting up?

Who’s Kevin Durant stopping from posting up and rippling his twig behind towards the basket from the 90’s? The Shaq/Penny Magic would have that entire Warrior frontline in foul trouble by half time!

Like Steve Nash said, guys like Steph, Durant and the Warriors play in the perfect rule altered era for their offensive games the shine. Put them in any other era and they become pedestrian
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,577

Post#62 » by Myth » Thu May 2, 2024 2:55 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:I mean, when you can carry and travel almost every time and the defender can't even breath near the opponent, what do you expect?

I laugh at the idea of Harden time traveling to that era and being confused that he is getting called for travels and none of his tactics result in a whistle.
Showtime 80
Junior

Post#63 » by Showtime 80 » Thu May 2, 2024 2:58 am

Just look at the MVP winners from 1980 to 1998, only reserved for top 10-20 all time level players.

Then check out the winners from 2006-2024 and you see names like Steve Nash, Derek Rose, James Harden, Joel Embiid and worst of all Russell Dumbrook :lol:
Sweet Meat Lew
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#64 » by Sweet Meat Lew » Thu May 2, 2024 3:00 am

SHAQ32 wrote:Ewing and Oakley could develop into a 3 point shooters, if that was the strategy. Nobody is getting ran out of the building. Just stop it.

Knicks didn't have the shooting to compete with the teams today. Most teams didn't. That can't be a debate.
Showtime 80
Junior

Post#65 » by Showtime 80 » Thu May 2, 2024 3:02 am

Myth wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:I mean, when you can carry and travel almost every time and the defender can't even breath near the opponent, what do you expect?

I laugh at the idea of Harden time traveling to that era and being confused that he is getting called for travels and none of his tactics result in a whistle.

Not to mentioned getting only 2 foul shots for a 3 pointer foul which is one of those ridiculous unnecessary rules that the NBA should’ve never adopted because it directly empowered a generation of 3 point foul baiters led by the aforementioned James Harden
Hobo4President
Analyst
And1: 3,222

Post#66 » by Hobo4President » Thu May 2, 2024 3:02 am

Can the 90s fans point out how the talent in the NBA has decreased since the sport has become exponentially more popular? Seems weird.
Showtime 80
Junior

Post#67 » by Showtime 80 » Thu May 2, 2024 3:04 am

Sweet Meat Lew wrote:
SHAQ32 wrote:Ewing and Oakley could develop into a 3 point shooters, if that was the strategy. Nobody is getting ran out of the building. Just stop it.

Knicks didn't have the shooting to compete with the teams today. Most teams didn't. That can't be a debate.

Outside shooting is only one part of the game.

Modern teams don’t have the size or the bodies to deal with the Knicks in the post, mid range, offensive or defensive boards
Hobo4President
Analyst

Post#68 » by Hobo4President » Thu May 2, 2024 3:05 am

Showtime 80 wrote:
Sweet Meat Lew wrote:

Outside shooting is only one part of the game.

Modern teams don’t have the size or the bodies to deal with the Knicks in the post, mid range, offensive or defensive boards

Why don't modern teams have the size?
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,557

Post#69 » by MavsDirk41 » Thu May 2, 2024 3:12 am

Hobo4President wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:
Hobo4President wrote:90s stans be like "players used to be far more skilled and defense was great because you could tackle players and stars today wouldn't be able to handle it and this one guy couldn't score, shoot or play defense but he was a starter because he would hit guys hard"

Lmao quite a few current players already have or will usurp pretty much everyone on that list not named Jordan, Shaq or Hakeem. Do you really think Stockton is better than Steph, KD, Lebron, Jokic, Chris Paul, Harden, Giannis?

The league is much deeper now with the influx of international talent but do you really think the product on the court is more entertaining? Teams shooting 35 3s a game, too much focus on offense while sacrificing defensive intensity, no player rivalries. Watching the playoffs now do you thing the games are more exciting than 90s playoffs? I dont.

Where did I argue about entertainment? Teams don't focus too much on offense at the expense of defense, defensive schemes are more advanced then they've ever been the simple fact is there's really not much you can do to defend some freak shooter in a pick and roll. It collapses entire defenses, which is also why we've tended towards shorter players because they're generally more athletic and better equipped to dealing with shooters around screens. I actually think the rules have favoured offense in the modern NBA but it's telling that some of these 90s is the more talented era guys straight up say superstars from today would suck in the past.

Players dropping 50 is nothing special nowadays and its because the floor is opened up because of the focus on 3 point shooting, centers are smaller, and the paint is wide open. How many layups did Luka make when he dropped 73 against Atlanta? Nobody could stop the Malone/Stockton pick and roll in the 90s. Nobody could stop it nowadays either. Do you find Luka shooting step back 3s more impressive than Hakeems footwork in the post? Which is more skillful?
Showtime 80
Junior

Post#70 » by Showtime 80 » Thu May 2, 2024 3:13 am

Hobo4President wrote:Can the 90s fans point out how the talent in the NBA has decreased since the sport has become exponentially more popular? Seems weird.

The popularity of the NBA peaked in 1998 with the highest rated series of all time in the Finals. What popularity the league has had after is due mainly to Twitter, YouTube highlight packages and Inside the NBA with Charles Barkley. Ratings have gone down steadily since 1998.l since really nobody is gonna sit for 2:30 hours to watch a glorified 3 point shorting exhibition.

Aside from that it doesn’t seem so weird when the lone and best feeder system which was the NCAA which worked so well for many decades went down the crapper since the 2000’s in favor of AAU fundamentals deficient player development.

Kobe talked about this:

;pp=ygUOS29iZSB0YWtrcyBhYXU%3D

You know it’s bad when the soft Euros brag about how easy the NBA game is when compared to their leagues :lol:
MavsDirk41
Analyst

Post#71 » by MavsDirk41 » Thu May 2, 2024 3:14 am

Hobo4President wrote:Can the 90s fans point out how the talent in the NBA has decreased since the sport has become exponentially more popular? Seems weird.

Who said the talent has decreased?
Hobo4President
Analyst

Post#72 » by Hobo4President » Thu May 2, 2024 3:16 am

MavsDirk41 wrote:
Hobo4President wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:

The league is much deeper now with the influx of international talent but do you really think the product on the court is more entertaining? Teams shooting 35 3s a game, too much focus on offense while sacrificing defensive intensity, no player rivalries. Watching the playoffs now do you thing the games are more exciting than 90s playoffs? I dont.

Where did I argue about entertainment? Teams don't focus too much on offense at the expense of defense, defensive schemes are more advanced then they've ever been the simple fact is there's really not much you can do to defend some freak shooter in a pick and roll. It collapses entire defenses, which is also why we've tended towards shorter players because they're generally more athletic and better equipped to dealing with shooters around screens. I actually think the rules have favoured offense in the modern NBA but it's telling that some of these 90s is the more talented era guys straight up say superstars from today would suck in the past.

Players dropping 50 is nothing special nowadays and its because the floor is opened up because of the focus on 3 point shooting, centers are smaller, and the paint is wide open. How many layups did Luka make when he dropped 73 against Atlanta? Nobody could stop the Malone/Stockton pick and roll in the 90s. Nobody could stop it nowadays either. Do you find Luka shooting step back 3s more impressive than Hakeems footwork in the post? Which is more skillful?

Why do you keep bringing up entertainment or preference? It's completely irrelevant to this discussion.
Hobo4President
Analyst

Post#73 » by Hobo4President » Thu May 2, 2024 3:17 am

MavsDirk41 wrote:

Read the thread?
Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,591

Post#74 » by Ugly Duckling » Thu May 2, 2024 3:18 am

xAVIER MCDANIELS WOULD KILL THE WHOLE LEAGUE TODAY
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
MavsDirk41
Analyst

Post#75 » by MavsDirk41 » Thu May 2, 2024 3:22 am

Hobo4President wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:
Hobo4President wrote:

Why do you keep bringing up entertainment or preference? It's completely irrelevant to this discussion.

I made points on why i think scoring is so easy nowadays and i asked you if a player shooting a step back 3 is more impressive than a big working in the post. Halfcourt offense/pick and roll/mid range vs 3 point shooting. 90s offense vs todays offense. Which is more skillful?
MavsDirk41
Analyst

Post#76 » by MavsDirk41 » Thu May 2, 2024 3:23 am

Hobo4President wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:

Read the thread?

And i would disagree with that of course lol
Hobo4President
Analyst

Post#77 » by Hobo4President » Thu May 2, 2024 3:25 am

MavsDirk41 wrote:
Hobo4President wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:

I made points on why i think scoring is so easy nowadays and i asked you if a player shooting a step back 3 is more impressive than a big working in the post. Halfcourt offense/pick and roll/mid range vs 3 point shooting. 90s offense vs todays offense. Which is more skillful?

If you want me to say if I prefer the modern NBA I don't, but it doesn't mean it's less skilful. Frankly I find 3 point shooting is quite dull, but it's efficient if you do it well enough. I'm a big fan of a good post game or midrange game. How skilful the offenses are? I'd lean towards today being more skilful than the 90s. Which is to be expected, I'd expect the 90s to have more skilful offenses than the 60s.
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,597

Post#78 » by drekwins » Thu May 2, 2024 3:41 am

tsherkin wrote:Yeah, I do. The Knicks played mean-mug BS basketball even by the standards of the time and would struggle badly to contain the type of perimeter shooting we see in the league today. And their offense was trash. They'd also get run out of the building. They are maybe the worst example you could have picked.

Totally disagree. The difference is the rules. If playing under those rules, guys would def struggle to adjust and the compsition of teams would have to change. Each current era team would have to give roster spots and minute to physical guys, or they'd get crushed.

If playing under modern rules, previous eras would struggle.
asas
Pro Prospect
And1: 588

Post#79 » by asas » Thu May 2, 2024 3:55 am

Showtime 80 wrote:

The popularity of the NBA peaked in 1998 with the highest rated series of all time in the Finals. What popularity the league has had after is due mainly to Twitter, YouTube highlight packages and Inside the NBA with Charles Barkley. Ratings have gone down steadily since 1998.l since really nobody is gonna sit for 2:30 hours to watch a glorified 3 point shorting exhibition.

Aside from that it doesn’t seem so weird when the lone and best feeder system which was the NCAA which worked so well for many decades went down the crapper since the 2000’s in favor of AAU fundamentals deficient player development.

Kobe talked about this:

;pp=ygUOS29iZSB0YWtrcyBhYXU%3D

You know it’s bad when the soft Euros brag about how easy the NBA game is when compared to their leagues :lol:

Can you think about stuff that you're saying before posting? You realise that we are not watching tv anymore right?

Talking about how the ratings are down while the nba is negiotiating the biggest deal of all time lol.

It's so fun to engage people on the internet and their opinions.
MavsDirk41
Analyst

Post#80 » by MavsDirk41 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:13 am

Hobo4President wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:
Hobo4President wrote:

If you want me to say if I prefer the modern NBA I don't, but it doesn't mean it's less skilful. Frankly I find 3 point shooting is quite dull, but it's efficient if you do it well enough. I'm a big fan of a good post game or midrange game. How skilful the offenses are? I'd lean towards today being more skilful than the 90s. Which is to be expected, I'd expect the 90s to have more skilful offenses than the 60s.

3 point shooting is skillful if you do it well….problem is when a team like my Mavs are cold from 3, what do they do? They are so reliant on 3 point shooting that when the shots arent falling you are going to see some ugly basketball. Bulls triangle, Lakers showtime, Stockton/Malone pick and roll, Spurs offense with Duncan and Parker. That was some very effecient offense without alot of 3s. There is obviously skill in shooting 3s but i prefer the post game or mid range games.

Return to The General Board