Jabari Parker finding redemption in Barcelona.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,162

Jabari Parker finding redemption in Barcelona. 

Post#1 » by UcanUwill » Wed May 1, 2024 2:41 pm

For those anaware, former DUKE and Bucks star, Jabari Parker, has made a jump to European basketball this past year, and his first stop is not too shabby, Euroleague and ACB contender, FC Barcelona.

Parker is having a very good Euroleague rookie season, averaging nearly 11 points and over 4 rebounds per game in one of the most famous uniforms in sports.

Barcelona just grabbed a 2-1 lead over Greek giant Olympiacos, in a best of 5 series for s spot for Euroleague Final 4.

Former mumber 2 pick became a team leader in this play off round, averaging 16.7 points, 7 rebounds, and shooting 61.5% from three (39.5 3PT% throughout the whole EL season). Drawn and made game winning FTs in pivotal game 3 yesterday, and altho he is not the athlete he once was, his "you don't get paid to play defense" attitude seems to be a thing of the past. Man has learned quite a bit from his up and mostly down career.

Among others, JB is a current teammate of former NBA players : Ricky Rubio, Jan Vesely, Tomas Satoransky, Alex Abrines, Willy Hernangomez and Nicolas Lapravittola.

Jabari Parker was a number 2 pick in 2014 draft, same class as Joel Embiid who went third, right after Parker, and Nikola Jokic, who was picked 41st.

Barcelona has not won Euroleague since 2010. They play game 4 of current series tomorrow, May 2nd. In Pireaus.
MiltownMadness
Starter
And1: 1,017

Re: Jabari Parker finding redemption in Barcelona. 

Post#2 » by MiltownMadness » Wed May 1, 2024 2:50 pm

Besides his negligence to play defense at a young age, always was a fan of Jabari. I maintain to this day that he would've been pretty damn good if he could've avoided those knee injuries early in his career. He was a MUCH more explosive athlete than most realized. Happy to see he is playing winning basketball and finding success, seemed like a good guy if not a little awkward
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,892

Post#3 » by Rainwater » Wed May 1, 2024 2:53 pm

The new Stephon Marbury this time for the Euro league?
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,956

Post#4 » by HotelVitale » Wed May 1, 2024 3:01 pm

Rainwater wrote:The new Stephon Marbury this time for the Euro league?

Except the Euro league is really good and being a star in it isn't a novelty act.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#5 » by UcanUwill » Wed May 1, 2024 3:26 pm

HotelVitale wrote:

Except the Euro league is really good and being a star in it isn't a novelty act.

Many Americans dominated China, and altho Marbury was very successful, he was far from only one. He only got coverage here and was talked up, because he was NBA star once. I remember one person here even suggested that Marbury should enter HOF cause of his Chinese accomplishmens, which show non existed awareness what Basketball HOF values, and the fact Marbury in reality was just dime a dozen guy who dominated and won there.
We do not usually tslk best CBA players, because none of them were once relevant.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,715

Post#6 » by JayMKE » Wed May 1, 2024 3:57 pm

Jabari has always been talented, big, and athletic so not surprised he's finding success. Thought he would stick in the league longer tbh
FREE GIANNIS
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,606

Post#7 » by JRoy » Wed May 1, 2024 4:02 pm

MiltownMadness wrote:Besides his negligence to play defense at a young age, always was a fan of Jabari. I maintain to this day that he would've been pretty damn good if he could've avoided those knee injuries early in his career. He was a MUCH more explosive athlete than most realized. Happy to see he is playing winning basketball and finding success, seemed like a good guy if not a little awkward

The first time I saw him was in college and he looked like a sure fire superstar.

Very disappointing career.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
SkyHook
Analyst
And1: 1,814

Post#8 » by SkyHook » Wed May 1, 2024 4:35 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Image

For those anaware, former DUKE and Bucks star, Jabari Parker, has made a jump to European basketball this past year, and his first stop is not too shabby, Euroleague and ACB contender, FC Barcelona.

Parker is having a very good Euroleague rookie season, averaging nearly 11 points and over 4 rebounds per game in one of the most famous uniforms in sports.

Barcelona just grabbed a 2-1 lead over Greek giant Olympiacos, in a best of 5 series for s spot for Euroleague Final 4.

Former mumber 2 pick became a team leader in this play off round, averaging 16.7 points, 7 rebounds, and shooting 61.5% from three (39.5 3PT% throughout the whole EL season). Drawn and made game winning FTs in pivotal game 3 yesterday, and altho he is not the athlete he once was, his "you don't get paid to play defense" attitude seems to be a thing of the past. Man has learned quite a bit from his up and mostly down career.

Among others, JB is a current teammate of former NBA players : Ricky Rubio, Jan Vesely, Tomas Satoransky, Alex Abrines, Willy Hernangomez and Nicolas Lapravittola.

Jabari Parker was a number 2 pick in 2014 draft, same class as Joel Embiid who went third, right after Parker, and Nikola Jokic, who was picked 41st.

Barcelona has not won Euroleague since 2010. They play game 4 of current series tomorrow, May 2nd. In Pireaus.

Glad that he's having success. One of my favorites.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,528

Post#9 » by jokeboy86 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:59 pm

Rooting for Jabari but every now and then his arrogance(similar to his “defense” quote) shows. Like he’s been recently dismissing the NBA and its fans to the point of suggesting the reason he’s not in the league is his choice or that only a few teams in the NBA are trying to win and thats the reason that guys like him, Cousins, Wall, and Dwight arent playing in the league now.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,482

Post#10 » by phanman » Wed May 1, 2024 4:59 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

Many Americans dominated China, and altho Marbury was very successful, he was far from only one. He only got coverage here and was talked up, because he was NBA star once. I remember one person here even suggested that Marbury should enter HOF cause of his Chinese accomplishmens, which show non existed awareness what Basketball HOF values, and the fact Marbury in reality was just dime a dozen guy who dominated and won there.
We do not usually tslk best CBA players, because none of them were once relevant.

You got to give the guy more credit than that. Other American guys have dominated in China post NBA but he was a pioneer blazing a trail doing as a former all star still in the tail-end of his prime. Unlike most American guys that came over, Marbury actually had team success leading his team to 3 championships while putting up 2K numbers en route. The only other guy with similar success I could find is former Raptor Sonny Weems who won 3 straight himself. Now I don't think he'll ultimately get in, but you have to give Marbury way more credit for establishing the CBA as a viable option for fringe NBA players or guys who couldn't adapt to become role players.

On topic:

It is good to see Jabari having some success. I was high on him coming out of Simeon.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,044

Post#11 » by DusterBuster » Wed May 1, 2024 5:04 pm

UcanUwill wrote:For those anaware, former DUKE and Bucks star, Jabari Parker, has made a jump to European basketball this past year, and his first stop is not too shabby, Euroleague and ACB contender, FC Barcelona.

Bucks... "star"?
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Jaykoolzboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 96

Post#12 » by Jaykoolzboy » Wed May 1, 2024 5:32 pm

Jabari just turned 29 years old 2 month ago, he's still in his prime. If he truly committed as the article indicates, i see him return to the NBA very soon.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#13 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed May 1, 2024 5:43 pm

Sixers should sign him, would be a Harris upgrade for sure.
jaymo123
Starter
And1: 768

Post#14 » by jaymo123 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:50 pm

Good for him and hopefully he has continued success. It may not be America, but he continues to earn money playing the game he loves. Also, living in Barcelona probably ain't bad either.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#15 » by UcanUwill » Wed May 1, 2024 5:54 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:Sixers should sign him, would be a Harris upgrade for sure.

You are probably tongue and cheeking, but they are similar, very similar build. But yeah, I am not sure he would be upgrade, Jabari could probably shoot better off the catch.
danvato
Rookie
And1: 1,103

Post#16 » by danvato » Wed May 1, 2024 5:55 pm

jokeboy86 wrote:Rooting for Jabari but every now and then his arrogance(similar to his “defense” quote) shows. Like he’s been recently dismissing the NBA and its fans to the point of suggesting the reason he’s not in the league is his choice or that only a few teams in the NBA are trying to win and thats the reason that guys like him, Cousins, Wall, and Dwight arent playing in the league now.

It's also funny, because those are former all-stars. Just cause they are also washed, doesn't mean they are guys like him.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#17 » by UcanUwill » Wed May 1, 2024 6:09 pm

phanman wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

You got to give the guy more credit than that. Other American guys have dominated in China post NBA but he was a pioneer blazing a trail doing as a former all star still in the tail-end of his prime. Unlike most American guys that came over, Marbury actually had team success leading his team to 3 championships while putting up 2K numbers en route. The only other guy with similar success I could find is former Raptor Sonny Weems who won 3 straight himself. Now I don't think he'll ultimately get in, but you have to give Marbury way more credit for establishing the CBA as a viable option for fringe NBA players or guys who couldn't adapt to become role players.

On topic:

It is good to see Jabari having some success. I was high on him coming out of Simeon.

I mean thats fair, altho I would not give Starbury as much credit, Americans and some Euros where playing there and putting numbers before Marbury was a thing. He did have team success, but I remember he had a bigman teamate, who dominated just as much, but since he wasn't former NBA star, no one ever mentioned him, some people really made it sound like Marbury was a lone wolf superstar there, we could argue he wasnt even best American on his own team if I recall things well, I mm no CBA expert.

China pays good for these players, they sometimes can outspend biggest Euroleague clubs on one player at least. But since domestic talent is relatively poor, these guys have a choice to take sometimes even better money snd be 2K like star, or just be one of the guys in Europe.

Euroleague is not like NBA, their best guys are way worse, but middle of the pack guys arent that much worse, meaning main rotation is very balanced. All Euroleague MVPs are also Euroleague role players, teams like Real, Barcelona Olympiacos, have 8 guys who are around the same caliber. Vezenkov was Euroleague MVP last season, but do not think he was Jokic of Kobe of Europe, he was still a role guy.

Often, Americans, who never had connection to European basketball, can chose between being role guy in Europe, or Superstar in China or other Asian countries, and understandably, many choose Asia, and its been like that for a long time.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,482

Post#18 » by phanman » Wed May 1, 2024 6:25 pm

UcanUwill wrote: I mean thats fair, altho I would not give Starbury as much credit, Americans and some Euros where playing there and putting numbers before Marbury was a thing. He did have team success, but I remember he had a bigman teamate, who dominated just as much, but since he wasn't former NBA star, no one ever mentioned him, some people really made it sound like Marbury was a lone wolf superstar there, we could argue he wasnt even best American on his own team if I recall things well, I mm no CBA expert.

No argument from me with previous guys before Steph having success, but it was usually on a individual basis with their teams consistently losing. Steph was the lone wolf superstar as you referenced because he put up numbers and also lead his team to wins

Return to The General Board