2 Series Sweeps, 1 Gentleman Sweep. I thought the West is going to be a bloodbath?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Ritzo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,356

2 Series Sweeps, 1 Gentleman Sweep. I thought the West is going to be a bloodbath? 

Post#1 » by Ritzo » Wed May 1, 2024 4:12 pm

Denver vs Wolves is interesting, but besides the Clippers vs Mavs series, the West has been a snore fest so far.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,964

Re: 2 Series Sweeps, 1 Gentleman Sweep. I thought the West is going to be a bloodbath? 

Post#2 » by Anticon » Wed May 1, 2024 4:16 pm

Zion injury and the Warriors/Lakers/Suns ended up not being consequential.

Basically the standings were correct. Top 5 in the West was that, 6-10 proved disappointing.

Second round should hopefully be competitive.
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 973

Re: 2 Series Sweeps, 1 Gentleman Sweep. I thought the West is going to be a bloodbath? 

Post#3 » by Special_Puppy » Wed May 1, 2024 4:49 pm

Nuggets vs Lakers was deceptively close. Nuggets only outscored the Lakers by 2 points on average
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,708

Post#4 » by EmpireFalls » Wed May 1, 2024 4:53 pm

If you watched that Denver/LA series and came out thinking that was a snore fest or uninteresting that’s on you.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,868

Post#5 » by Marrrcuss » Wed May 1, 2024 4:56 pm

Does it hurt being this miserable or do you just get used to it?
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,137

Post#6 » by The Real Dalic » Wed May 1, 2024 5:05 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:Does it hurt being this miserable or do you just get used to it?

To be fair this is said about the Eastern Conference every year and we just have to sit here and take it. The East has the best series by far in Knicks vs. Sixers, it also has a couple of series going to at least 6 games. Far more competitive.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,482

Post#7 » by phanman » Wed May 1, 2024 5:08 pm

I honestly question if some posters on here actually enjoy or even watch these games. To come up with a conclusion that it has been a snore fest is just flat out ridiculous. Even in that Thunder/Pelicans series where Zion's injury put a damper on it, the first and last games were highly competitive and just overall great games to watch.

Denver vs LA -> It was only 5 games, but all 5 were were nail biters highlighted by double digit comebacks and 2 game winners..

Dallas vs Suns -> No explanation needed. Even with Kawhi hobbled, all games have been great

Phoenix vs Minnesota -> Sure the Suns got swept, but we still were able to witness the individual greatness of KD + Booker and also Ant's ascension to become the face of league
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,409

Post#8 » by lessthanjake » Wed May 1, 2024 5:15 pm

I think the West was a bloodbath in the sense that multiple teams will have lost in the first round (or frankly, perhaps even the play-in) that could’ve made the second round or conference finals in the East. And I still think that even after most of the series ended quickly. Just because the very top Western Conference teams are clearly a step above the teams ranked 6th and below doesn’t mean that those teams ranked 6th and below aren’t good teams that could’ve made some noise in a weaker conference. (And, of course, even that isn’t addressing the fact that one of the Mavs and Clippers will lose, and that’s definite bloodbath territory. Nor is it mentioning the fact that the teams that’ll get knocked out in the second round in the West will be incredibly good teams that’d almost certainly beat anyone in the East except the Celtics).
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,281

Post#9 » by xdrta+ » Wed May 1, 2024 5:22 pm

Ritzo wrote:... the West has been a snore fest so far.

Said by someone who watched few, if any, of the games.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,868

Post#10 » by Marrrcuss » Wed May 1, 2024 5:24 pm

phanman wrote:I honestly question if some posters on here actually enjoy or even watch these games. To come up with a conclusion that it has been a snore fest is just flat out ridiculous. Even in that Thunder/Pelicans series where Zion's injury put a damper on it, the first and last games were highly competitive and just overall great games to watch.

Denver vs LA -> It was only 5 games, but all 5 were were nail biters highlighted by double digit comebacks and 2 game winners..

Dallas vs Suns -> No explanation needed. Even with Kawhi hobbled, all games have been great

Phoenix vs Minnesota -> Sure the Suns got swept, but we still were able to witness the individual greatness of KD + Booker and also Ant's ascension to become the face of league

THIS!!!!

I get that this board's culture is complain, complain, complain, but i am enjoying the playoffs, even as as a laker fan. I am a fan if the game though, so theres that.
TinmanZBoy
General Manager
And1: 4,845

Post#11 » by TinmanZBoy » Wed May 1, 2024 5:28 pm

People underestimate OKC and Minni
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,196

Post#12 » by Nuntius » Wed May 1, 2024 5:29 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:Does it hurt being this miserable or do you just get used to it?

To be fair this is said about the Eastern Conference every year and we just have to sit here and take it. The East has the best series by far in Knicks vs. Sixers, it also has a couple of series going to at least 6 games. Far more competitive.

Agreed. There's some real double standard when it comes to how fans perceive the West versus the East. The West is indeed stronger than the East, that is true, but a lot of fans treat the East like it's the JV conference.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,196

Post#13 » by Nuntius » Wed May 1, 2024 5:31 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:People underestimate OKC and Minni

Yep. OKC is seriously, seriously good and Minny is very strong as well. I wouldn't be shocked if either of these teams comes out of the West (same goes for Denver which I rank a tad higher due to them being defending champions and all).
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,122

Thank The Clippers (Losing History, For Added Context) 

Post#14 » by Wammy Giveaway » Wed May 1, 2024 6:21 pm

The Clippers have always been unpredictable in the most wrongest of ways. You have a franchise who is so desperate to be loved that they will do anything to get that attention. Some nights it's coming back from down 31 points to steal a win with zero superstars and just role players, like Game 2 vs. Ultimate Warriors in 2019, which stands today as the largest playoff comeback in NBA history. Other nights it's blowing a 31-point lead to actually take a brief 1-point deficit where they could have actually lost and be down 3-1 like Game 4 vs. Mavericks this year. And don't get me started on the two 3-1 collapses that have occurred within a 5-year span.

Even though the Clipper's losing history makes the franchise look hilariously pathetic, they at least make it worth their while. Even during the evil Donald Sterling era, they managed to 1) draw pivotal Game 5s in 1991 and 1992 in 1st round (both vs. 2nd seeded Jazz and Rockets) and 2) get to a Game 7 vs. Suns in 2nd round in 2006. You know they're going to lose, but they'll go out in a blaze of glory... in a Schadenfreude way, unfortunately.
Bleed-Green
Sophomore
And1: 103

Post#15 » by Bleed-Green » Wed May 1, 2024 6:23 pm

Anticon wrote:Zion injury and the Warriors/Lakers/Suns ended up not being consequential.

Basically the standings were correct. Top 5 in the West was that, 6-10 proved disappointing.

Second round should hopefully be competitive.

I don't think anyone actually expected anything out of those 3 teams
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,620

Post#16 » by Bornstellar » Wed May 1, 2024 6:26 pm

Pelicans were without their best player and their 2nd best player recently came back from injury and did not look right. Lakers lost in 5 but every one of those games was close. The Suns on the other hand we all knew were going to be a playoff failure.
Slimjimzv
Junior
And1: 305

Post#17 » by Slimjimzv » Wed May 1, 2024 6:29 pm

Turns out the regular season actually means something. All that talk about the Warriors, Lakers, and Suns didn't seem to recognize that they were all mediocre during the regular season. Hence the standings. I'm really looking forward to seeing the West for the rest of the playoffs, though. All these teams seem pretty solid. I'm especially fascinated with the Nuggets/Wolves series.
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,385

Post#18 » by CS707 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:31 pm

Nuntius wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:

Agreed. There's some real double standard when it comes to how fans perceive the West versus the East. The West is indeed stronger than the East, that is true, but a lot of fans treat the East like it's the JV conference.

What is this East you speak of?
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,385

Post#19 » by CS707 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:32 pm

What we're is a true changing of the guard. On one hand I'm bummed to see my team being one of the old teams but it's also cool to see the newer ones stake their claim. Who would have thought Minnesota would be a fun team to watch and legit contender?
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,620

Post#20 » by Bornstellar » Wed May 1, 2024 6:38 pm

Slimjimzv wrote:Turns out the regular season actually means something. All that talk about the Warriors, Lakers, and Suns didn't seem to recognize that they were all mediocre during the regular season. Hence the standings. I'm really looking forward to seeing the West for the rest of the playoffs, though. All these teams seem pretty solid. I'm especially fascinated with the Nuggets/Wolves series.

I'm not convinced Minny will beat Denver but I'm rooting for a Thunder/Wolves WCF. We all want to see a Ant vs. SGA :)

Return to The General Board