"I've never seen so many people be so happy to see an athlete fail more than LeBron” - Anthony Edwards

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Kingdibs19
Starter
And1: 3,678

"I've never seen so many people be so happy to see an athlete fail more than LeBron” - Anthony Edwards 

Post#1 » by Kingdibs19 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:37 pm

Full quote: "I've never seen so many people be so happy to see an athlete fail more than LeBron," Edwards said. "His whole career he's been hated on constantly and slandered to no end to the point where when he retires, nobody would have appreciated his greatness. I'm glad I will be one who did."

https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketball/news-he-s-hated-constantly-anthony-edwards-steps-lebron-james-getting-slandered-playoff-elimination

Jamal Murray recently praised him also:
Read on Twitter
?s=46

Luka always does as Lebron was his favourite player growing up. Seems like a lot of the young stars in the league regularly give Lebron his flowers. It’s the 30, 40 and 50 year olds that never played ball but grew up on MJ and Kobe that can’t appreciate greatness when they see it because they feel insecure about their childhood hero’s legacy. Unfortunate.
KembaWalker wrote:If you think you need a gun to answer the door, you probably shouldn’t answer the door. Call the police

Re: innocent ex military Roger Fortson gunned down by police at his own house
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,261

Re: "I've never seen so many people be so happy to see an athlete fail more than LeBron” - Anthony Edwards 

Post#2 » by KembaWalker » Wed May 1, 2024 5:40 pm

As a resident Bron hater, just want to reiterate that it’s not really a generational thing. Jokic is amazing, Giannis had a great ring. It’s specifically and solely LeBron that’s especially lame, not everything post 2003
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,962

Re: "I've never seen so many people be so happy to see an athlete fail more than LeBron” - Anthony Edwards 

Post#3 » by SHAQ32 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:43 pm

You'll just have to find a way to get over it then, because it's justified.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,253

Post#4 » by Klomp » Wed May 1, 2024 5:44 pm

What the heck is a sports keeda?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
danvato
Rookie
And1: 1,102

Post#5 » by danvato » Wed May 1, 2024 5:52 pm

was Ant alive for this or is Lebron that old?

This is why Lebron is hated, full stop. And he deserves it. He also deserves credit but how anyone can be confused for why he is disliked is just dumb.
AbeVigodaLive
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,490

Post#6 » by AbeVigodaLive » Wed May 1, 2024 5:54 pm

To be fair, Edwards is only 22, so how much weight does "I've never seen" carry? For those who have been watching the NBA for quite a bit longer, it wasn't that long ago that Kobe Bryant held the "most polarizing player" crown. Heck, James was in the league during most of it.

Sometimes, hailed players will incur the wrath of others for nothing more than being good. That's how our world and social media works... you have to argue about something. And if somebody says "A is good," it's easy to incite a reaction if you say you disagree.

Then, there's the James vs. Jordan angle. Some people get very emotional about that topic.

Then, there's the sometimes manufactured nature of LeBron James... off the court. Whether it's incessant coverage, or his own transparent attempts at creating narratives that upset people.

Don't worry though. James will retire soon(?) and someone else will be there to pick up the crown. Heck, if Edwards ends up in NY or LA, he might get it.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,409

Post#7 » by Black Jack » Wed May 1, 2024 5:56 pm

KembaWalker wrote:As a resident Bron hater, just want to reiterate that it’s not really a generational thing. Jokic is amazing, Giannis had a great ring. It’s specifically and solely LeBron that’s especially lame, not everything post 2003

What about all the over the top hatred for Durant? Westbrook? Kyrie? Harden?

Seems to me thata specifically black American players that get targeted with extreme vitriol.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,261

Post#8 » by KembaWalker » Wed May 1, 2024 6:01 pm

Black Jack wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:As a resident Bron hater, just want to reiterate that it’s not really a generational thing. Jokic is amazing, Giannis had a great ring. It’s specifically and solely LeBron that’s especially lame, not everything post 2003

Seems to me thata specifically black American players that get targeted with extreme vitriol.

I mean all those guys have done things that are fair to criticize whether it’s joining up to 73 win teams, antivax antisemitic rhetoric, being team cancers, whatever. I don’t think anyone is being judged particularly unfairly. Look at Embiid and Luka, they get as much hate as anyone else around. Embiid for being a dirty player and flopped, Luka for being a whiny ball hog
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,027

Post#9 » by NyKnicks1714 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:02 pm

Kingdibs19 wrote:Luka always does as Lebron was his favourite player growing up. Seems like a lot of the young stars in the league regularly give Lebron his flowers. It’s the 30, 40 and 50 year olds that never played ball but grew up on MJ and Kobe that can’t appreciate greatness when they see it because they feel insecure about their childhood hero’s legacy. Unfortunate.

It's important to remember that people who hate LeBron are a small but very vocal minority. He's revered by most fans and he has the respect and admiration of all his peers, young and old. As an example you'll have fans shouting he's a bad teammate or bad leader, when just about every single one of his former teammates have had nothing but positive things to say about him.
Prince187
Sixth Man
And1: 1,833

Post#10 » by Prince187 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:03 pm

Yeah shocking how many people root against a guy who cheats, flops, constantly whines, throws his teammates under the bus, and generally acts likes a self centered drama queen.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,409

Post#11 » by Black Jack » Wed May 1, 2024 6:03 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
Black Jack wrote:

I mean all those guys have done things that are fair to criticize whether it’s joining up to 73 win teams, antivax antisemitic rhetoric, being team cancers, whatever. I don’t think anyone is being judged particularly unfairly. Look at Embiid and Luka, they get as much hate as anyone else around. Embiid for being a dirty player and flopped, Luka for being a whiny ball hog

I mean, it's debatable but I think a lot of fans have a special weird love/hate thing going on about BA players.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 20,278

Post#12 » by Mamba Mentality » Wed May 1, 2024 6:04 pm

I was that hater. Never missed an opportunity to clown on the dude. It wasn't until he became a Laker that I realized that I had taken his greatness for granted all those years. Now I find myself defending his career at various social gatherings, talk about coming full circle...

I think there would be a completely different perception of Lebron if he just toned down the narcissism.
MarcusBrody
Starter
And1: 3,817

Post#13 » by MarcusBrody » Wed May 1, 2024 6:06 pm

danvato wrote:was Ant alive for this or is Lebron that old?

This is why Lebron is hated, full stop. And he deserves it. He also deserves credit but how anyone can be confused for why he is disliked is just dumb.

Have you ever listened to Ant talk? Making wildly confident claims/goals is not something that is going to phase Ant. It's why he's such a fun interview.

But even with that said, the idea that an overzealous statement made at an introductory pep rally is the primary reason for dislike well over a decade later is a pretty good illustration of what Ant is saying.
jbsays
Junior
And1: 380

Post#14 » by jbsays » Wed May 1, 2024 6:07 pm

This is 100% because of social media and everyone, including people like me, having a voice online. This site came in to existence in 2000. High speed internet became common around the same time. Before that their was dial up. Before that you only had access to your local paper, Sportscenter, games on broadcast tv, and magazines like Sports Illustrated and Sporting News. People still disliked players, but they had nowhere to voice their opinions other than local playgrounds or gyms, school, work, bars, and other social settings.

Now you can multitask and complain about Lebron on your phone while taking a dump at your local Applebees.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,027

Post#15 » by NyKnicks1714 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:10 pm

danvato wrote:was Ant alive for this or is Lebron that old?

This is why Lebron is hated, full stop. And he deserves it.

Hyping up his team at a pep rally 14 years ago? Yes great reason to hate a person
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,113

Post#16 » by Calvin Klein » Wed May 1, 2024 6:10 pm

Maybe if he didn’t keep jumping ship and throwing teammates and coaches under the bus he would be more appreciated. Lebron’s amazing, but he 8s full of himself.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 20,278

Post#17 » by Mamba Mentality » Wed May 1, 2024 6:13 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:Maybe if he didn’t keep jumping ship and throwing teammates and coaches under the bus he would be more appreciated. Lebron’s amazing, but he 8s full of himself.

I cant imagine what your relationship with Durant has been the past couple seasons.
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#18 » by CS707 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:14 pm

Without putting too much thought into it, I'm going Tiger Woods.
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 752

Post#19 » by Charlesareed » Wed May 1, 2024 6:15 pm

Lebron is the sole reason why ppl hate him these type of comments are why it’s really a debate of who the goat is because they play against Lebron they are blinded and astonished by how great he is

With that said all the tactics and bs Lebron has done the past 10 -12 years or so are why he’s so hated he cheated to win rings stacked the deck every season he constantly gets coaches fired when it’s his fault the team doesn’t win be he’s too busy playing GM and trying to be all buddy buddy with everyone

I’m shocked he’s getting high praise from some these guys tbh after he said his then high school so was better then half the league that’s a insult and horrible take

Lebron thinks the whole universe revolves around him and that’s not the case at all he tried to make everything about him and it’s not he’s a great player but I’ve never seen anything like him at all he’s a sore loser

A lot of those things about Lebron is mostly because he’s an only child so I guess that’s why he too mfn friendly
Chicago Raised me
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 33,212

Post#20 » by Reeko » Wed May 1, 2024 6:18 pm

I would say the overwhelming majority of people understand and appreciate his greatness. Just because many are also put off by his behavior and personality doesn’t necessarily make them haters.

He’s an incredible player while also being incredibly narcissistic and hypocritical.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.

Return to The General Board