"I've never seen so many people be so happy to see an athlete fail more than LeBron” - Anthony Edwards

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

ORL_on_FIRE
Starter
And1: 1,849

Re: "I've never seen so many people be so happy to see an athlete fail more than LeBron” - Anthony Edwards 

Post#101 » by ORL_on_FIRE » Thu May 2, 2024 2:07 am

That's what happens when you have been the best forever.
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,559

Re: "I've never seen so many people be so happy to see an athlete fail more than LeBron” - Anthony Edwards 

Post#102 » by MavsDirk41 » Thu May 2, 2024 2:09 am

Kingdibs19 wrote:
ShannonWright wrote:Based on experience, talking to peers and observations and engagements on social media, i think this is the percentage of Lebron haters:

50% Jordan fans
20% Kobe fans
20% 80s and mostly 90s fans
5% Warriors/Curry fans
5% Other teams' fans

Good list but I’d give a full 5% to Raptor fans. 90% of the Raptor fans on this board seem to hate him.

My %s:
40% Jordan fans
30% Kobe fans (not actual Laker fans)
15% 80s and 90s fans
5% Raptor fans
5% Warrior/Curry fans
5% Other team fans

Are you old enough to remember the hate Kobe got after Colorado? Jordan before the Bulls won because everybody said he was a ball hog? Thomas for being the ring leader of the Pistons dirt play? Other players have faced criticism during their playing days as well.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,114

Post#103 » by Calvin Klein » Thu May 2, 2024 2:12 am

Mamba Mentality wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:Maybe if he didn’t keep jumping ship and throwing teammates and coaches under the bus he would be more appreciated. Lebron’s amazing, but he 8s full of himself.

I cant imagine what your relationship with Durant has been the past couple seasons.

I pretty much hated the traded and everything about this team. I can't wait until he is gone.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,932

Post#104 » by nikster » Thu May 2, 2024 2:14 am

shi-woo wrote:
danvato wrote:was Ant alive for this or is Lebron that old?

This is why Lebron is hated, full stop. And he deserves it. He also deserves credit but how anyone can be confused for why he is disliked is just dumb.

Facts, and if you disagree i'll show you exhibit B, KD going to GS, something i'd be curious to know how the new era of kids viewed that.

LeBron would have just been hated like Kobe or Tom Brady if these type of moments weren't a thing. What people also don't seem to mention, is this moment posted was also the start of one of the biggest propaganda movements in sports history, and it's lasted over a decade now. For a lot of us, we are just tired of it, and want to go back to just getting slightly gaslit like trading Gasol for a bag of chips was actually a solid trade without hindsight and that the DET Pistons were just a solid team and not a team with 4 All-Stars and legendary coach.

I honestly don't think the hate towards LeBron is wanting to see him fail like people wanting to see Tom fail, it's more people just wanting to see the narratives and fake storylines get beaten back.

You still have fans that think LeBron went to CLE and LA to go play with a bunch of young kids, and to be with his family, because that's how it was marketed, when everyone with deductive reasoning skills knows that's not the case.

Can you imagine if any other star player like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Judge, or Mike Trout did this type of thing, and got this same level of protection from the media? It would be hell on wheels for them.

KD, Kyrie, and Harden are the only modern players in the NBA to even attempt this and how has that gone for them? They are 3 of the most hated players in the league both by fans and the media :lol:

I don't think people actually dislike LeBron, he's a man that married his highschool sweetheart, is a savy business man (obviously), in the top 1% of hi trade, and is an incredible father. Something all of us should strive to be. LeBron just made himself unlikeable for a lot of fans like me who were in highschool/college when he puled this stuff and those are very impressionable years for that fan base who haven't changed their minds, just like in 10 years non of yall will change your minds about KD, or Boston fans Kyrie.

I don't think those comparisons are really good at all. Kyrie is hated on mostly for off court non basketball related comments and for being a cause of locker room issues. Harden is hated on for his own playoff failures and style of play.

KD is the only one to really be hated on mostly for team hopping, the circumstances I think were pretty different, he never had success elsewhere, and the level of vitriol never came close to what we've seen with Lebron.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,946

Post#105 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu May 2, 2024 2:15 am

Rich Paul is also a major jerk, and some people blame Lebron for that. (I don't.)

Indeed, I once started a thread about that in this forum, and it was shut down immediately with a mod note carrying the totally false accusation that it was a swipe at Lebron.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,295

Post#106 » by Ben-N1ce » Thu May 2, 2024 2:35 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:thing is, he was almost universally loved, kinda like Tiger Woods. Like Tiger we watched him since he was in high school and it was obviously he was a once in a generation talent. But like Tiger, he fumbled his legacy.

Most of us liked him while he was in Cleveland until his body language betrayed him and he sulked off the floor after losing in the playoffs. Then many really started to hate him when his ego ran unchecked and he broadcast "The Decision" which was an utter embarrassment. He lost even more people when he got up there and said "not 1, not 2, not 3..." Through it all in multiple stops he's sulked, pointed fingers, got coaches fired, formed super teams and declared himself the GOAT. There's the clearly rigged 2016 Finals, the meaningless bubble ring and needing Kyrie and Allen to bail him out.

And it's not just on the court either. There's the alleged hate-crime hoax. There's taking credit for starting a school (funded by taxpayers) and those students having horrible results. There's the alleged PEDs and link to the Miami lab and subsequent need for jaw surgery to remove the growth allegedly caused by HGH. There's the hypocritical political stances. Pretend injuries. Pretending to read books. Lying about things he did or didn't say or do in the past.

Tiger fumbled his legacy? He can't even compete anymore and he's by far and it's not even remotely close the most popular and beloved golfer on earth lol
Mephariel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,675

Post#107 » by Mephariel » Thu May 2, 2024 2:36 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:thing is, he was almost universally loved, kinda like Tiger Woods. Like Tiger we watched him since he was in high school and it was obviously he was a once in a generation talent. But like Tiger, he fumbled his legacy.

Most of us liked him while he was in Cleveland until his body language betrayed him and he sulked off the floor after losing in the playoffs. Then many really started to hate him when his ego ran unchecked and he broadcast "The Decision" which was an utter embarrassment. He lost even more people when he got up there and said "not 1, not 2, not 3..." Through it all in multiple stops he's sulked, pointed fingers, got coaches fired, formed super teams and declared himself the GOAT. There's the clearly rigged 2016 Finals, the meaningless bubble ring and needing Kyrie and Allen to bail him out.

And it's not just on the court either. There's the alleged hate-crime hoax. There's taking credit for starting a school (funded by taxpayers) and those students having horrible results. There's the alleged PEDs and link to the Miami lab and subsequent need for jaw surgery to remove the growth allegedly caused by HGH. There's the hypocritical political stances. Pretend injuries. Pretending to read books. Lying about things he did or didn't say or do in the past.

This is what Ant was talking about. Putting someone under a microscope and hating him for things that are just speculative. "Rigged 2016 Finals" and "Alleged PEDs." People are just finding reasons to hate him.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 4,043

Post#108 » by bledredwine » Thu May 2, 2024 2:39 am

He's right. But Lebron did it to himself.
I can assure everyone that there's plenty worth hating about him when it comes to the sport, for those of us that do.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,932

Post#109 » by nikster » Thu May 2, 2024 2:40 am

Mephariel wrote:

This is what Ant was talking about. Putting someone under a microscope and hating him for things that are just speculative. "Rigged 2016 Finals" and "Alleged PEDs." People are just finding reasons to hate him.

To be fair this isn't personal issue with Lberon for this poster, he's really deep into all these conspiracies. Thinks Luka falling to the Mavs was rigged
art_tatum
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,168

Post#110 » by art_tatum » Thu May 2, 2024 2:48 am

Young players in the league grew up on lebrons heatles
In 5 years it'll be the same for curry and the warriors
ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 999

Post#111 » by ScrantonBulls » Thu May 2, 2024 2:59 am

The people that hate him are generally low IQ individuals. It's something that has always was stood out.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,631

Post#112 » by shi-woo » Thu May 2, 2024 3:22 am

nikster wrote:
shi-woo wrote:

This is why Lebron is hated, full stop. And he deserves it. He also deserves credit but how anyone can be confused for why he is disliked is just dumb.

Facts, and if you disagree i'll show you exhibit B, KD going to GS, something i'd be curious to know how the new era of kids viewed that.

LeBron would have just been hated like Kobe or Tom Brady if these type of moments weren't a thing. What people also don't seem to mention, is this moment posted was also the start of one of the biggest propaganda movements in sports history, and it's lasted over a decade now. For a lot of us, we are just tired of it, and want to go back to just getting slightly gaslit like trading Gasol for a bag of chips was actually a solid trade without hindsight and that the DET Pistons were just a solid team and not a team with 4 All-Stars and legendary coach.

I honestly don't think the hate towards LeBron is wanting to see him fail like people wanting to see Tom fail, it's more people just wanting to see the narratives and fake storylines get beaten back.

You still have fans that think LeBron went to CLE and LA to go play with a bunch of young kids, and to be with his family, because that's how it was marketed, when everyone with deductive reasoning skills knows that's not the case.

Can you imagine if any other star player like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Judge, or Mike Trout did this type of thing, and got this same level of protection from the media? It would be hell on wheels for them.

KD, Kyrie, and Harden are the only modern players in the NBA to even attempt this and how has that gone for them? They are 3 of the most hated players in the league both by fans and the media :lol:

I don't think people actually dislike LeBron, he's a man that married his highschool sweetheart, is a savy business man (obviously), in the top 1% of hi trade, and is an incredible father. Something all of us should strive to be. LeBron just made himself unlikeable for a lot of fans like me who were in highschool/college when he puled this stuff and those are very impressionable years for that fan base who haven't changed their minds, just like in 10 years non of yall will change your minds about KD, or Boston fans Kyrie.

I don't think those comparisons are really good at all. Kyrie is hated on mostly for off court non basketball related comments and for being a cause of locker room issues. Harden is hated on for his own playoff failures and style of play.

KD is the only one to really be hated on mostly for team hopping, the circumstances I think were pretty different, he never had success elsewhere, and the level of vitriol never came close to what we've seen with Lebron.

That's not really true, and part of the propaganda tour that I personally don't like when it comes to LeBron. KD and LeBron had identical careers through their first 2 championships and age 30/3rd contracts. Both led small market teams to the finals early on in their 1st contracts, both teamed up with with another Top 5 player and all-stars, and both won 2 titles on their 2nd, and both teamed up with Kyrie and another All-NBA guy for their 3rd. Injuries wrecked year 1 of that run, just like LeBrons first year in CLE.

Hating on KD because a global pandemic denied him the chance for his redemption arc after isn't exactly fair, and is the difference between being LeBron and everyone else. KD ruined his image for going to GS, LeBron created a legacy by going to MIA. LeBron's efforts in 15 were considered historic, KD's efforts in 21 are mocked. LeBron going to LA when him and Kyrie beefed was applauded. KD going to the Suns when him and Kyrie beefed was ridiculed.

They have had identical careers, KD's was just influenced by injuries and outside forces more. One is considered a GOAT, the other universally called a Cupcake by fans and media alike. One hearalded as a king for trying to restore a dead franchise with no success, the other a laughing stock for choosing to go to bad teams with no historical success.

The circumstances were not different, the results were not different, the narrative and agenda the media sold us was.
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,928

Post#113 » by lakerz12 » Thu May 2, 2024 3:25 am

Reeko wrote:I would say the overwhelming majority of people understand and appreciate his greatness. Just because many are also put off by his behavior and personality doesn’t necessarily make them haters.

He’s an incredible player while also being incredibly narcissistic and hypocritical.

Yup. I acknowledge that he’s an incredible player and he’s had a fantastic, all time great career.

But I just don’t like his “vibe”. When he speaks I don’t dislike him, but it just seems like something is a little off. I don’t feel it’s very authentic, deep, or soulful.

He’s also had plenty of moments in his career where he didn’t perform in crucial moments (2011 finals).

Then when you have people wanting to say he is for sure the #1 goat, that’s when I have to disagree.

If people didn’t try to elevate him to #1 all time, there wouldn’t be so much backlash.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,257

Post#114 » by Edrees » Thu May 2, 2024 3:26 am

Black Jack wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:As a resident Bron hater, just want to reiterate that it’s not really a generational thing. Jokic is amazing, Giannis had a great ring. It’s specifically and solely LeBron that’s especially lame, not everything post 2003

What about all the over the top hatred for Durant? Westbrook? Kyrie? Harden?

Seems to me thata specifically black American players that get targeted with extreme vitriol.

It seems that way because 90% of all star american players are black. Hard to hate on white american all stars when they dont exist. Role players dont get hate its only cream of the crop good players
DrModesty
Junior
And1: 515

Post#115 » by DrModesty » Thu May 2, 2024 3:31 am

The issue is the Lebron's career is littered with behavior that people inherently don't like, and it takes either ignorance, fandom or a high level of tolerance to overlook it all.

People don't like self aggrandizers or attention seekers. They don't like narcissists. They don't like when other's act sanctimoniously. They don't like hypocrisy. They don't like people who scapegoat blame and vacuum up credit. They don't like when people take the easy road. They don't like being manipulated by "narratives" (formerly known as propaganda).

And they especially don't like it when these things come from someone who is so advantaged in life.

The guy has been in the public sphere for over 20 years. These flaws were always going to leak out when he is so active in publicizing himself.

Also calling it 'hate' is overboard for 95% of the 'haters'. It is more like a lingering annoyance/mild dislike and people tend to complain about things that annoy them or that they mildly dislike.

Congratulations to the man for his success, family, wealth, etc.
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,413

Post#116 » by CodeBreaker » Thu May 2, 2024 3:34 am

Reeko wrote:
He’s an incredible player while also being incredibly narcissistic and hypocritical.

/thread
ScrantonBulls
Senior

Post#117 » by ScrantonBulls » Thu May 2, 2024 3:43 am

DrModesty wrote:The issue is the Lebron's career is littered with behavior that people inherently don't like, and it takes either ignorance, fandom or a high level of tolerance to overlook it all.

People don't like self aggrandizers or attention seekers. They don't like narcissists. They don't like when other's act sanctimoniously. They don't like hypocrisy. They don't like people who scapegoat blame and vacuum up credit. They don't like when people take the easy road. They don't like being manipulated by "narratives" (formerly known as propaganda).

And they especially don't like it when these things come from someone who is so advantaged in life.

The guy has been in the public sphere for over 20 years. These flaws were always going to leak out when he is so active in publicizing himself.

Also calling it 'hate' is overboard for 95% of the 'haters'. It is more like a lingering annoyance/mild dislike and people tend to complain about things that annoy them or that they mildly dislike.

So why is MJ by far the most popular player ever?
DrModesty
Junior
And1: 515

Post#118 » by DrModesty » Thu May 2, 2024 3:49 am

ScrantonBulls wrote:
DrModesty wrote:The issue is the Lebron's career is littered with behavior that people inherently don't like, and it takes either ignorance, fandom or a high level of tolerance to overlook it all.

You bolded one of the things I said in relation to Jordan.

Lebron is also one of the most popular players ever and he displays the whole list. The publicization of the two is also completely different as others have already detailed in this thread with regard to things like social media and the way sports media is produced.

Please think about it a bit.
GregOden
Starter
And1: 2,500

Post#119 » by GregOden » Thu May 2, 2024 3:54 am

He was hated way before that. People called him “LeBronze” for losing in the Olympics after his rookie season in 2004 and most NBA fans back then hated how much hype he got in high school and the sentiment of wanting him to fail was pretty widespread among the NBA fanbase.

He was widely hated by the old fans who felt his game wasn’t aesthetically pleasing and felt he didn’t have much skill compared to the old guard players like Kobe or T-Mac but rather just relied on his athleticism and size. Many fans downplayed his abilities and said he was only putting up stats because Cleveland built a roster around him and instituted a heliocentric offense around Lebron that boosted his stats. Even before he left Cleveland the first time he was pretty widely considered one of those most hated and polarizing players in the league.
ScrantonBulls
Senior

Post#120 » by ScrantonBulls » Thu May 2, 2024 3:55 am

DrModesty wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:

You bolded one of the things I said in relation to Jordan.

Lebron is also one of the most popular players ever and he displays the whole list. The publicization of the two is also completely different as others have already detailed in this thread with regard to things like social media and the way sports media is produced.

Please think about it a bit.

And you said people who are able to get overlook his "behavior" are either ignorant, fans or have a high tolerance for it. The majority of people are able to overlook that "abhorrent" behavior because as you said, he's one of the most popular players ever. Sounds like you're the one with the problems, son.

Also lol at "propaganda".

Return to The General Board