Who Would you Rather have Maxey or Brunson?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 45,093

Re: Who Would you Rather have Maxey or Brunson? 

Post#81 » by DaGawd » Thu May 2, 2024 4:13 pm

louc1970 wrote:I would rather have Mitchell. Neither of those guys are particularly good on defense.

mitchell? donovan mitchell??? he’s not good defensively
BaF
Washington Wizards
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,836

Post#82 » by cgf » Thu May 2, 2024 4:14 pm

louc1970 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:Brunson is the #1 option, Maxey is the #2. It's as simple as that.

I love Maxey though and wish he was on my team.

Not sure of the reasoning here. Embiid is the #1 option if he were on the Knicks.
It is more an indication of his teammates than Maxey/Brunson's play.

Because Brunson has shown the ability to carry his team as the #1 whereas Philly fell apart when Maxey had to step in for his injured bigman. Yes Embiid is better than Randle, but the point isn't about that, it's that when the entire creative burden fell on Brunson he continued to find success...and Maxey isn't ready to do that...yet.

I say this as somebody who thinks that Joel should coast more in the regular season and let Maxey run the show, even if it's not as efficient an option as running Embiid into the ground yet again. I already thought he was very talented and the kid has won even more respect from me this series...but he still isn't ready to be his team's team option...yet.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
cgf
RealGM

Post#83 » by cgf » Thu May 2, 2024 4:14 pm

DaGawd wrote:
louc1970 wrote:I would rather have Mitchell. Neither of those guys are particularly good on defense.

He wasn't bad last year and was legit good this season...especially while Garland was out and he was defending the 1.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

DaGawd
RealGM

Post#84 » by DaGawd » Thu May 2, 2024 4:16 pm

cgf wrote:
DaGawd wrote:

He wasn't bad last year and was legit good this season.

i watched brunson cook him in 2 straight series… i guess brunson is just that good :cool:
BaF
Washington Wizards
cgf
RealGM

Post#85 » by cgf » Thu May 2, 2024 4:16 pm

DaGawd wrote:
cgf wrote:
DaGawd wrote:mitchell? donovan mitchell??? he’s not good defensively

He wasn't bad last year and was legit good this season.

i watched brunson cook him in 2 straight series… i guess brunson is just that good :cool:

I mean Brunson cooked Caruso and he's the guard version of OG. When Jalen is dialed in he'll cook anyone. But Mitchell took his defense up a notch this season...at least before getting hurt.

Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,024

Post#86 » by Duffman100 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:17 pm

cgf wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
DaGawd wrote:you have maxey at home (quickley)

I like Quickley, but he's like a 75% Maxey. 75% of his talent, speed, etc.

75% of the speed maybe, but the talent is a lot closer. He'll never explode to the rim like Maxey can and Maxey's further ahead in their developmental arcs, but IQ's floater game & ability to get to the line does a lot to close that gap at the rim. Plus IQ is a much better defender/rebounder.

I thought so too (defender) and he was **** when he came to the Raptors. his perimeter D was awful. Hopefully it's better next season.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#87 » by Duffman100 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:18 pm

louc1970 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:Brunson is the #1 option, Maxey is the #2. It's as simple as that.

Not sure of the reasoning here. Embiid is the #1 option if he were on the Knicks.

The reasoning is that they're putting up similar numbers (at least in this series). One of them has to shoulder the burden of being the absolute focus of the defense without another legit threat to draw attention.

One is the secondary focus of the defense with an all time great big who draws a ton of attention.
cgf
RealGM

Post#88 » by cgf » Thu May 2, 2024 4:19 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
cgf wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

75% of the speed maybe, but the talent is a lot closer. He'll never explode to the rim like Maxey can and Maxey's further ahead in their developmental arcs, but IQ's floater game & ability to get to the line does a lot to close that gap at the rim. Plus IQ is a much better defender/rebounder.

I thought so too (defender) and he was **** when he came to the Raptors. his perimeter D was awful. Hopefully it's better next season.

That is weird, but maybe he was just so overwhelmed adjusting to running his own team that he simply didn't have the bandwidth to be as locked in defensively as he could be coming off the bench for us. Because IQ was a very good and very versatile defender in NY.

God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,289

Post#89 » by God Squad » Thu May 2, 2024 4:21 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
cgf wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

I'll buy your Quickley stock Duffman. I'm fully on board with IQ.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,598

Post#90 » by bisme37 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:23 pm

The "HIM" thing is cringey as hell and I told myself never to type it but I'm going to break my vow and politely ask Sixers fans:

If Embiid is HIM and your 2nd option is better than the Knicks 1st option, how the heck are y'all trailing in this series?
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#91 » by Duffman100 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:23 pm

God Squad wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
cgf wrote:

I'll buy your Quickley stock Duffman. I'm fully on board with IQ.

I like him a lot and think he can grow. I just found his defense to be lackluster. But then again, our entire team was awful at D.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 173

Post#92 » by louc1970 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:26 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
louc1970 wrote:

The reasoning is that they're putting up similar numbers (at least in this series). One of them has to shoulder the burden of being the absolute focus of the defense without another legit threat to draw attention.

One is the secondary focus of the defense with an all time great big who draws a ton of attention.

But being the focus of the defense is not always equal. NYK can put Anunoby on Maxey which puts a very good perimeter defender on him. Philly puts who on Brunson?
The quality of the defender matters here as well.
And by the way I would take Brunson in this situation also.
DaGawd
RealGM

Post#93 » by DaGawd » Thu May 2, 2024 4:27 pm

bisme37 wrote:The "HIM" thing is cringey as hell and I told myself never to type it but I'm going to break my vow and politely ask Sixers fans:

If Embiid is HIM and your 2nd option is better than the Knicks 1st option, how the heck are y'all trailing in this series?

in before refs
BaF
Washington Wizards
cgf
RealGM

Post#94 » by cgf » Thu May 2, 2024 4:33 pm

louc1970 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
louc1970 wrote:Not sure of the reasoning here. Embiid is the #1 option if he were on the Knicks.

But being the focus of the defense is not always equal. NYK can put Anunoby on Maxey which puts a very good perimeter defender on him. Philly puts who on Brunson?
The quality of the defender matters here as well.
And by the way I would take Brunson in this situation also.

Sure OG & McBride are better than Oubre & Payne in a vacuum, but it's not just one defender.

Those first two games Philly's entire defense was geared at slowing down Brunson, until the rest of our team forced Nurse to adjust. Maxey hasn't had to face that in this series because no matter what, our defense has to be ready to double Embiid at any moment that he's on the court.

It's why I'm so bummed that Randle wasn't able to get back, even if he had been severely limited like he was last year. The court just opens up so much for Brunson, even if Julius is being shut down.

Hussien Fatal
Veteran
And1: 1,402

Post#95 » by Hussien Fatal » Thu May 2, 2024 4:41 pm

CD_41 wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:Maxey is the better shooter, better finisher, better defender and better athlete while being 4 years younger. Not to mention he’s probably out played Brunson so far this series.

It is always the same with you.

You post a "question" and 90% of the answers are not what you want to hear.
So you double down with weak, biased arguments, unable to see anything on the other side of the river.

The consensus, which I agree with is: Brunson is the No. 1 guy for his team, Maxey as the 2nd guy.
Also Maxey could surpass Brunson in a couple of years and no one would be surprised.
But as for now? Brunson > Maxey. Take your homerism glasses of for one second and see that the NBA is not just 6ers players.

Obviously I am aware of other players besides sixers players last I checked Brunson is on the Knicks. So I’m not sure why you said that.

Brunson had the better season but that doesn’t make him the better player.

Maxey is the better shooter, better athlete, better defender, better off ball, better ft shooter and better at taking care of the ball. This series has shown that Maxey is as good if not better than Brunson. Maxey has been extremely more efficient than Brunson these playoffs making more of his opportunities. Not to mention Brunson is 5 years older.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Hussien Fatal
Veteran

Post#96 » by Hussien Fatal » Thu May 2, 2024 4:52 pm

cgf wrote:
louc1970 wrote:

Because Brunson has shown the ability to carry his team as the #1 whereas Philly fell apart when Maxey had to step in for his injured bigman. Yes Embiid is better than Randle, but the point isn't about that, it's that when the entire creative burden fell on Brunson he continued to find success...and Maxey isn't ready to do that...yet.

I say this as somebody who thinks that Joel should coast more in the regular season and let Maxey run the show, even if it's not as efficient an option as running Embiid into the ground yet again. I already thought he was very talented and the kid has won even more respect from me this series...but he still isn't ready to be his team's team option...yet.

The sixers “fell apart” because The sixers are built around Embiid not Maxey, so of course the sixers struggled without Embiid. The Knicks are built around Brunson so you can’t just look at the sixers record without Embiid and say Maxey couldn’t carry them, especially when he hasn’t been gifted the same circumstances as Brunson.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Hussien Fatal
Veteran

Post#97 » by Hussien Fatal » Thu May 2, 2024 4:59 pm

bisme37 wrote:The "HIM" thing is cringey as hell and I told myself never to type it but I'm going to break my vow and politely ask Sixers fans:

You ever heard of thing called Role Players? Hart, OG and McBride have clearly outplayed Tobias, Oubre and Lowry. Embiid is averaging 31p10r 6a while playing great defense and Maxey is averaging 32p 7a 5r so it isn’t the top two guys.
DaGawd
RealGM

Post#98 » by DaGawd » Thu May 2, 2024 4:59 pm

Hussien Fatal wrote:
cgf wrote:
louc1970 wrote:Not sure of the reasoning here. Embiid is the #1 option if he were on the Knicks.

The sixers “fell apart” because The sixers are built around Embiid not Maxey, so of course the sixers struggled without Embiid. The Knicks are built around Brunson so you can’t just look at the sixers record without Embiid and say Maxey couldn’t carry them, especially when he hasn’t been gifted the same circumstances as Brunson.

you got hella excuses
BaF
Washington Wizards
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,598

Post#99 » by bisme37 » Thu May 2, 2024 5:00 pm

Hussien Fatal wrote:

You ever heard of thing called Role Players? Hart, OG and McBride have clearly outplayed Tobias, Oubre and Lowry. Embiid is averaging 31p10r 6a while playing great defense and Maxey is averaging 32p 7a 5r so it isn’t the top two guys.

No I've never heard of role players. Tell me more.
CD_41
Junior
And1: 410

Post#100 » by CD_41 » Thu May 2, 2024 5:07 pm

Hussien Fatal wrote:
CD_41 wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:Maxey is the better shooter, better finisher, better defender and better athlete while being 4 years younger. Not to mention he’s probably out played Brunson so far this series.

It is always the same with you.

You post a "question" and 90% of the answers are not what you want to hear.
So you double down with weak, biased arguments, unable to see anything on the other side of the river.

The consensus, which I agree with is: Brunson is the No. 1 guy for his team, Maxey as the 2nd guy.
Also Maxey could surpass Brunson in a couple of years and no one would be surprised.
But as for now? Brunson > Maxey. Take your homerism glasses of for one second and see that the NBA is not just 6ers players.

Obviously I am aware of other players besides sixers players last I checked Brunson is on the Knicks. So I’m not sure why you said that.

Brunson had the better season but that doesn’t make him the better player.

Maxey is the better shooter, better athlete, better defender, better off ball, better ft shooter and better at taking care of the ball. This series has shown that Maxey is as good if not better than Brunson. Maxey has been extremely more efficient than Brunson these playoffs making more of his opportunities. Not to mention Brunson is 5 years older.

You see that you have to contextualize these arguments, right?
First of all, it is close. But listing all the things Maxey does better makes it sounds like this is no competition at all.
Why not list the things Brunson it better at: Elevating his game when his Co-Star is out (Which Maxey did not, in fact his efficiency got worse, which is not a surprise), Brunson can run an offense alone way better than Maxey, he has way more defensive attention than Maxey who is playing with an MVP candidate and as others have pointed out: that is not penalizing Maxey, but it explains the efficiency and also Maxey has not proven yet that he can be a No.1 on a championship team, Brunson has better leadership skills, Brunson is has a better bag in the iso game which helps down the stretch, better passer.

So, just list the points where Brunson is better at is simply misleading.
Also, Maxey had a worse season and this also does not make him the better player.
Again, both are great and it would be no surprise if Maxey is the better players in the next years. But for now: Brunson.
"No sense in honoring an internet bet. This isn’t the real world get over stop crying like a baby."
"My first name is Hussien. Would you expect Saddam to honor a bet he made with Kuwait or the US?"

Hussein Fatal after losing a bet.

Return to The General Board