Who Would you Rather have Maxey or Brunson?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,843

Re: Who Would you Rather have Maxey or Brunson? 

Post#101 » by cgf » Thu May 2, 2024 5:23 pm

Hussien Fatal wrote:
cgf wrote:
louc1970 wrote:Not sure of the reasoning here. Embiid is the #1 option if he were on the Knicks.
It is more an indication of his teammates than Maxey/Brunson's play.

Because Brunson has shown the ability to carry his team as the #1 whereas Philly fell apart when Maxey had to step in for his injured bigman. Yes Embiid is better than Randle, but the point isn't about that, it's that when the entire creative burden fell on Brunson he continued to find success...and Maxey isn't ready to do that...yet.

I say this as somebody who thinks that Joel should coast more in the regular season and let Maxey run the show, even if it's not as efficient an option as running Embiid into the ground yet again. I already thought he was very talented and the kid has won even more respect from me this series...but he still isn't ready to be his team's team option...yet.

The sixers “fell apart” because The sixers are built around Embiid not Maxey, so of course the sixers struggled without Embiid. The Knicks are built around Brunson so you can’t just look at the sixers record without Embiid and say Maxey couldn’t carry them, especially when he hasn’t been gifted the same circumstances as Brunson.

The Knicks are now built around Brunson because Brunson was able to step up when the whole burden fell on him. Maxey couldn't...though he can still learn to.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,104

Post#102 » by SkyHookFTW » Thu May 2, 2024 6:02 pm

cgf wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:
cgf wrote:
Because Brunson has shown the ability to carry his team as the #1 whereas Philly fell apart when Maxey had to step in for his injured bigman. Yes Embiid is better than Randle, but the point isn't about that, it's that when the entire creative burden fell on Brunson he continued to find success...and Maxey isn't ready to do that...yet.

I say this as somebody who thinks that Joel should coast more in the regular season and let Maxey run the show, even if it's not as efficient an option as running Embiid into the ground yet again. I already thought he was very talented and the kid has won even more respect from me this series...but he still isn't ready to be his team's team option...yet.

The sixers “fell apart” because The sixers are built around Embiid not Maxey, so of course the sixers struggled without Embiid. The Knicks are built around Brunson so you can’t just look at the sixers record without Embiid and say Maxey couldn’t carry them, especially when he hasn’t been gifted the same circumstances as Brunson.

The Knicks are now built around Brunson because Brunson was able to step up when the whole burden fell on him. Maxey couldn't...though he can still learn to.

It's not the same though. Embiid is one of the few players in the league where he is the focal point of both offense AND defense for his team at a position that no point guard today can fill. The Sixers are much more dependent on Embiid than New York is on Randle. Maxey had huge shoes to fill, and I doubt Brunson could have done much better given the construction of the Sixers.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,816

Post#103 » by RoyceDa59 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:11 pm

Brunson now, but Maxey as an asset long term.
Go Raps!!
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,571

Post#104 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu May 2, 2024 6:13 pm

indiegrind wrote:I'd take Maxey. I still think Brunson is Celtics Isaiah Thomas 2.0.

The playoff sample size over multiple seasons for brunson doesn't suggest this at all
bronxknicksfan1
Veteran
And1: 1,524

Post#105 » by bronxknicksfan1 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:22 pm

Hussien Fatal wrote:
CD_41 wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:Maxey is the better shooter, better finisher, better defender and better athlete while being 4 years younger. Not to mention he’s probably out played Brunson so far this series.

It is always the same with you.

You post a "question" and 90% of the answers are not what you want to hear.
So you double down with weak, biased arguments, unable to see anything on the other side of the river.

The consensus, which I agree with is: Brunson is the No. 1 guy for his team, Maxey as the 2nd guy.
Also Maxey could surpass Brunson in a couple of years and no one would be surprised.
But as for now? Brunson > Maxey. Take your homerism glasses of for one second and see that the NBA is not just 6ers players.

Obviously I am aware of other players besides sixers players last I checked Brunson is on the Knicks. So I’m not sure why you said that.

Brunson had the better season but that doesn’t make him the better player.

Maxey is the better shooter, better athlete, better defender, better off ball, better ft shooter and better at taking care of the ball. This series has shown that Maxey is as good if not better than Brunson. Maxey has been extremely more efficient than Brunson these playoffs making more of his opportunities. Not to mention Brunson is 5 years older.

:lol:

Brunson scored more than Maxey while shooting a better FG% and 3pt% this season. How exactly is Maxey a better shooter? He didn’t shoot better from 3-10ft, 10-16ft, 16-3p line and 3pt.

Maxey being a better defender? He’s not a good one. There’s a reason Nurse has thrown anybody but Maxey at Brunson as a primary defender. Brunson isn’t exactly the greatest defender in the world, but trying to bring up defense here makes no sense. Maxey is more of a liability on that end.

Lastly, as mentioned in here, if Maxey is as good or better than Brunson while having Embiid on his team, who is also better than Brunson…how are the Knicks leading this series?
bronxknicksfan1
Veteran

Post#106 » by bronxknicksfan1 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:27 pm

SkyHookFTW wrote:
cgf wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:

It's not the same though. Embiid is one of the few players in the league where he is the focal point of both offense AND defense for his team at a position that no point guard today can fill. The Sixers are much more dependent on Embiid than New York is on Randle. Maxey had huge shoes to fill, and I doubt Brunson could have done much better given the construction of the Sixers.

You know for a good portion of the season, the Knicks were without:

Randle, OG, Mitchell Robinson

3 starters. The 2nd best player and the 2 main cogs on defense.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,455

Post#107 » by NoStatsGuy » Thu May 2, 2024 6:38 pm

louc1970 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:Brunson is the #1 option, Maxey is the #2. It's as simple as that.

I love Maxey though and wish he was on my team.

Not sure of the reasoning here. Embiid is the #1 option if he were on the Knicks.

the sixers lost almost every game without embiid. when our guys went down we climbed to 2nd seed. i thought sixers are the better team aswell... how did that happen then?
im bout dat action boss
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,132

Post#108 » by The Real Dalic » Thu May 2, 2024 6:50 pm

Brunson. He's doing everything as the lone star on his team. Maxey is the second best player on his team and has one of the best decoy's a second best player can have in Embiid. Both are great though.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
BooomBaby
Junior
And1: 216

Post#109 » by BooomBaby » Thu May 2, 2024 8:45 pm

Brunson is the correct answer.

Maxey has played amazing these last games, but I'd take Brunson as my franchise all day, everyday.
Hussien Fatal
Veteran
And1: 1,402

Post#110 » by Hussien Fatal » Thu May 2, 2024 10:46 pm

CD_41 wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:
CD_41 wrote:

So you double down with weak, biased arguments, unable to see anything on the other side of the river.

The consensus, which I agree with is: Brunson is the No. 1 guy for his team, Maxey as the 2nd guy.
Also Maxey could surpass Brunson in a couple of years and no one would be surprised.
But as for now? Brunson > Maxey. Take your homerism glasses of for one second and see that the NBA is not just 6ers players.

Obviously I am aware of other players besides sixers players last I checked Brunson is on the Knicks. So I’m not sure why you said that.

Maxey is the better shooter, better athlete, better defender, better off ball, better ft shooter and better at taking care of the ball. This series has shown that Maxey is as good if not better than Brunson. Maxey has been extremely more efficient than Brunson these playoffs making more of his opportunities. Not to mention Brunson is 5 years older.

You see that you have to contextualize these arguments, right?
First of all, it is close. But listing all the things Maxey does better makes it sounds like this is no competition at all.
Why not list the things Brunson it better at: Elevating his game when his Co-Star is out (Which Maxey did not, in fact his efficiency got worse, which is not a surprise), Brunson can run an offense alone way better than Maxey, he has way more defensive attention than Maxey who is playing with an MVP candidate and as others have pointed out: that is not penalizing Maxey, but it explains the efficiency and also Maxey has not proven yet that he can be a No.1 on a championship team, Brunson has better leadership skills, Brunson is has a better bag in the iso game which helps down the stretch, better passer.

So, just list the points where Brunson is better at is simply misleading.
Also, Maxey had a worse season and this also does not make him the better player.
Again, both are great and it would be no surprise if Maxey is the better players in the next years. But for now: Brunson.

I’m sorry but has a Brunson proven himself to be a #1 on a championship team? I don’t think so. And what data do you have that indicates Brunson is the better passer?
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Hussien Fatal
Veteran
And1: 1,402

Post#111 » by Hussien Fatal » Thu May 2, 2024 10:53 pm

bronxknicksfan1 wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:
CD_41 wrote:

Brunson scored more than Maxey while shooting a better FG% and 3pt% this season. How exactly is Maxey a better shooter? He didn’t shoot better from 3-10ft, 10-16ft, 16-3p line and 3pt.

Maxey being a better defender? He’s not a good one. There’s a reason Nurse has thrown anybody but Maxey at Brunson as a primary defender. Brunson isn’t exactly the greatest defender in the world, but trying to bring up defense here makes no sense. Maxey is more of a liability on that end.

Lastly, as mentioned in here, if Maxey is as good or better than Brunson while having Embiid on his team, who is also better than Brunson…how are the Knicks leading this series?

Well the reason I said Maxey is the better the shooter is because he has a higher career 3pt% and a higher career ft%. Other than this season Maxey has routinely been the more lethal shooter up to this point.

Defensively Maxey generates more steals and more blocks while being the better athlete which helps guarding the more athletic players. Neither player is elite on defense but Maxey is definitely better on that end.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,274

Post#112 » by KnixtapeH20 » Thu May 2, 2024 10:57 pm

LordCovington33 wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:lol

Insightful

thanks
louc1970
Senior
And1: 175

Post#113 » by louc1970 » Thu May 2, 2024 11:06 pm

cgf wrote:
louc1970 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
The reasoning is that they're putting up similar numbers (at least in this series). One of them has to shoulder the burden of being the absolute focus of the defense without another legit threat to draw attention.

One is the secondary focus of the defense with an all time great big who draws a ton of attention.

But being the focus of the defense is not always equal. NYK can put Anunoby on Maxey which puts a very good perimeter defender on him. Philly puts who on Brunson?
The quality of the defender matters here as well.
And by the way I would take Brunson in this situation also.

Sure OG & McBride are better than Oubre & Payne in a vacuum, but it's not just one defender.

Those first two games Philly's entire defense was geared at slowing down Brunson, until the rest of our team forced Nurse to adjust. Maxey hasn't had to face that in this series because no matter what, our defense has to be ready to double Embiid at any moment that he's on the court.

It's why I'm so bummed that Randle wasn't able to get back, even if he had been severely limited like he was last year. The court just opens up so much for Brunson, even if Julius is being shut down.

And a smart coach will let 1 player go off as long it is contained to 1 player. Shut everyone else down, let Brunson have career nights.
That does not in itself make Brunson superb. He is good, very good. But I do not see him as all everything.
louc1970
Senior

Post#114 » by louc1970 » Thu May 2, 2024 11:12 pm

DaGawd wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:
cgf wrote:

I think fans expect when a team loses a top player just to put next man up in the game and all continue as before.
Maxey is good, not good enough yet to build a team around, but good. Saying that, when you lose an Embiid it takes a while for the team to adjust, change how they play and it takes time for the new #1 to adjust to pressures.
louc1970
Senior

Post#115 » by louc1970 » Thu May 2, 2024 11:13 pm

cgf wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:
cgf wrote:

Solid point. Some can do it continuously others it takes time.
louc1970
Senior

Post#116 » by louc1970 » Thu May 2, 2024 11:16 pm

Everything everyone said above is true and that is why Mitchell is still my choice.
When everyone went down on the Cavs, Mitchell had the team climbing.
Everyone came back, and the style changed.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 354

Post#117 » by WentzerWuver » Thu May 2, 2024 11:24 pm

louc1970 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:Brunson is the #1 option, Maxey is the #2. It's as simple as that.

I love Maxey though and wish he was on my team.

Not sure of the reasoning here. Embiid is the #1 option if he were on the Knicks.
Wrong! Maxey has struggled as the top option when Joel is not playing this entire season, but you wouldn't know that by not watching Sixers games.
bronxknicksfan1
Veteran

Post#118 » by bronxknicksfan1 » Thu May 2, 2024 11:25 pm

Hussien Fatal wrote:
bronxknicksfan1 wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:

Well the reason I said Maxey is the better the shooter is because he has a higher career 3pt% and a higher career ft%. Other than this season Maxey has routinely been the more lethal shooter up to this point.

Defensively Maxey generates more steals and more blocks while being the better athlete which helps guarding the more athletic players. Neither player is elite on defense but Maxey is definitely better on that end.

Considering Brunson is a much better shooter from everywhere between 3ft and the 3pt line since he was a starter in Dallas as a 2nd option, I’d say Maxey isn’t the better shooter. As a 1st option, he shot better from 3 than Maxey did in his 1st season as a 2nd option. It’s not a coincidence that when the % Maxey’s assisted FGs dropped, so did his efficiency.

As for defensively, if bringing up steals tells you that Maxey is better…Brunson was 2nd in the league in charges drawn. That more than makes up the .1 difference in steals that Maxey has over him. He must be a much better defender because of that? There’s no point in bringing up defense. They both aren’t good at it.
bronxknicksfan1
Veteran

Post#119 » by bronxknicksfan1 » Thu May 2, 2024 11:28 pm

louc1970 wrote:Everything everyone said above is true and that is why Mitchell is still my choice.
When everyone went down on the Cavs, Mitchell had the team climbing.
Everyone came back, and the style changed.

That team ducked the 2nd seed. Won’t even consider Mitchell in the convo with Brunson.
CD_41
Junior
And1: 410

Post#120 » by CD_41 » Thu May 2, 2024 11:28 pm

Hussien Fatal wrote:
CD_41 wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:

You see that you have to contextualize these arguments, right?
First of all, it is close. But listing all the things Maxey does better makes it sounds like this is no competition at all.
Why not list the things Brunson it better at: Elevating his game when his Co-Star is out (Which Maxey did not, in fact his efficiency got worse, which is not a surprise), Brunson can run an offense alone way better than Maxey, he has way more defensive attention than Maxey who is playing with an MVP candidate and as others have pointed out: that is not penalizing Maxey, but it explains the efficiency and also Maxey has not proven yet that he can be a No.1 on a championship team, Brunson has better leadership skills, Brunson is has a better bag in the iso game which helps down the stretch, better passer.

So, just list the points where Brunson is better at is simply misleading.
Also, Maxey had a worse season and this also does not make him the better player.
Again, both are great and it would be no surprise if Maxey is the better players in the next years. But for now: Brunson.

I’m sorry but has a Brunson proven himself to be a #1 on a championship team? I don’t think so. And what data do you have that indicates Brunson is the better passer?

Before we go on to that, can you just acknowledge that there is massive bias in your arguments and the way you present them?

Also the way you‘re answering this proves my point.
All you do is change goal posts and use strawmen.

Just be intellectually honest and accept that FOR NOW the majority is in the right and Brunson is SLIGHTLY better. Again: Maxey could be ahead of him in the neat future.

I know that people give you a lot of **** (me included) but it is always in your hands to take the high road sometimes.
"No sense in honoring an internet bet. This isn’t the real world get over stop crying like a baby."
"My first name is Hussien. Would you expect Saddam to honor a bet he made with Kuwait or the US?"

Hussein Fatal after losing a bet.

Return to The General Board