Reality Check: Embiid is, in fact, HIM

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,524

Re: Reality Check: Embiid is, in fact, HIM 

Post#61 » by rockmanslim » Thu May 2, 2024 1:26 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Read on Twitter

He is in fact him. His teammates sans Maxey not so much...

As always, he just needs to be healthy. Even unhealthy he drops 50, but he's not him. LOL wtf.

Even Maxey can only do what he does because of the openings he gets from Embiid being on the floor.

The whole team including Maxey looks rough when Embiid isn't out there.
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,212

Post#62 » by MrBigShot » Thu May 2, 2024 1:29 am

And yet Maxey saved him from losing 4-1. If Embiid is him he's got his chance to prove it the rest of the series.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,551

Post#63 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 2, 2024 1:36 am

MrBigShot wrote:And yet Maxey saved him from losing 4-1. If Embiid is him he's got his chance to prove it the rest of the series.

People are prisoners of the moment. He proved it in game three with a gargantuan 50 points. Feel like unless Embiid averages 50, people won't be happy. Context is so important, it is completely ignored when fans **** on him.
VicG
Head Coach
And1: 2,188

Post#64 » by VicG » Thu May 2, 2024 1:36 am

There doesn't need to be a big thread about this.

For the OP, how did Embiid do last year in Game 7?
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,708

Post#65 » by Cubbies2120 » Thu May 2, 2024 1:44 am

Hussien Fatal wrote:It’s clear most of the reason Embiid’s numbers drop in The playoffs is due to him being injured and another reason is he exerts much more energy on the defensive end in the playoffs so naturally his scoring numbers drop.

Another big reason is he doesn't get to stat pad against bottom feeders in the playoffs...he faces real defenses.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,551

Post#66 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 2, 2024 1:44 am

VicG wrote:There doesn't need to be a big thread about this.

Actually there does, because Cubbies tried to troll as usual by starting a thread, saying he's not him, and got ratiod into oblivion.
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,708

Post#67 » by Cubbies2120 » Thu May 2, 2024 1:53 am

eyeatoma wrote:
VicG wrote:There doesn't need to be a big thread about this.

Actually there does, because Cubbies tried to troll as usual by starting a thread, saying he's not him, and got ratiod into oblivion.

Ratio'd into oblivion? If anything that's what's happening in this thread, original one got more and1's :lol: Sounds like more people agree with my post than the knockoff ;)

Turns out people look at years and years of evidence of failures in the playoffs, regardless of teammates, regardless of coach, with one common denominator...

Himmy Butler made the Finals THREE TIMES since leaving Embiid...

You had James Harden putting up playoff career highs and carrying them to two wins against the Celtics last season, including one with Embiid in a suit on the bench...

Does not matter when you play with a guy who shrinks on the biggest stage...

Rewatch the 4th quarter where Embiid is panic throwing the ball away repeatedly, shooting 25% in the quarter, when Maxey basically says "I will NOT allow you to lose us this game" :lol: Everyone saw what happened last night, it's been less than 24 hours people ain't forgetting what they just saw...
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,879

Post#68 » by JJ_PR » Thu May 2, 2024 1:59 am

Joel Embiid is in fact, Joel Embiid.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,971

Post#69 » by Jabroni Lames » Thu May 2, 2024 2:05 am

Wrong pronoun.
Hatrick Ewing
Junior
And1: 459

Post#70 » by Hatrick Ewing » Thu May 2, 2024 2:14 am

Over or under 76 people in the United States who think Embiid is him who aren't Sixer fans?
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 21,380

Post#71 » by AussieCeltic » Thu May 2, 2024 2:15 am

The year is 2021, it’s halftime game 4 of the 2nd round, the Sixers have a 2-1 lead over the Hawks and are up 62-49 in Atlanta. Win this, they go back to Philly up 3-1 and close out the series. Ben Simmons hasn’t gone into his shell mentally yet and puts up 8/11/7 by the half.

What does Embiid do second half?

He shoots 0-12… yes 0-12 the second half with 3 turnovers to completely collapse and lose by 3.

Everyone blames Simmons for what happened after this game but this was the reason they lost to the Hawks. He could’ve shot 10% the second half and they win. 0-12 is the biggest I’m not him moment.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,894

Post#72 » by giberish » Thu May 2, 2024 2:16 am

I think there are a few things that are clear.

When facing .500ish teams in the playoffs, Embiid plays the same as he does in the regular season (completely expected as this is roughly a league-average opponent).

When facing teams significantly better than .500 in the playoffs, Embiid is not as effective as he is during the regular season. Again this is completely expected as facing top opposition usually results in worse play. Historically most players are worse in the playoffs against top opponents vs the regular season. That's normal. It can be argued that the few that do improve show that they weren't giving full effort during the regular season.

Even at the reduced effectiveness against top opponents, Embiid is still very good.

After 2019 (when Embiid was still relatively young and the team suffered a close loss to the eventual champions), Philly's overall roster hasn't been that strong - which limits how far Philly is going to go in the playoffs.
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,375

Post#73 » by canada_dry » Thu May 2, 2024 7:35 pm

AussieCeltic wrote:The year is 2021, it’s halftime game 4 of the 2nd round, the Sixers have a 2-1 lead over the Hawks and are up 62-49 in Atlanta. Win this, they go back to Philly up 3-1 and close out the series. Ben Simmons hasn’t gone into his shell mentally yet and puts up 8/11/7 by the half.

What does Embiid do second half?

He shoots 0-12… yes 0-12 the second half with 3 turnovers to completely collapse and lose by 3.

Everyone blames Simmons for what happened after this game but this was the reason they lost to the Hawks. He could’ve shot 10% the second half and they win. 0-12 is the biggest I’m not him moment.
But but but he wasn't healthy!!

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,072

Post#74 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu May 2, 2024 8:49 pm

CoP wrote:Sixers starters' on/off for these playoffs:
Embiid: +72.2
Lowry: +28.1
Oubre: +18.2
Harris: +5.9
Maxey: -24.3

That's really all I need to see to know that looking at raw impact stats in small sample sizes in order to argue a point is not a good idea.

That is a random point to make when nobody referenced single series +/-
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu May 2, 2024 8:49 pm

og15 wrote:
tsherkin wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:It’s clear most of the reason Embiid’s numbers drop in The playoffs is due to him being injured and another reason is he exerts much more energy on the defensive end in the playoffs so naturally his scoring numbers drop.

He is not the only player in league history to face these issues, though, so that does go only so far.

Yup, and his issue is injury and conditioning. The solution is actually likely that his scoring volume should go down in the post-season, while the perimeter guys take more load, and he can exert more impact on defense and the glass while not forcing offense.

Easier said than done, especially when the team is used to a certain style in the regular season.

This is for sure the best criticism of playoff Embiid. I don't think we should rely on him in closing situations unless he has a clear 1v1 opportunity. Not only due to conditioning but also in general I think perimeter creation is more reliable and less susceptible to defensive scheme. I'd rather design plays for Maxey who can dump the ball to Jo or Tobi if the defense closes in on him (which I have never seen as long as Embiid is also on the court).

GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu May 2, 2024 8:53 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:

Another big reason is he doesn't get to stat pad against bottom feeders in the playoffs...he faces real defenses.

Lmao bro I could post a picture of my unshaven testicles with the title "Embiid sucks" and get more And-1s than an honest discussion about statistical data. That's how it works.

Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,803

Post#77 » by Raps in 4 » Thu May 2, 2024 8:58 pm

I'll believe you when he gets past the second round.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,422

Post#78 » by Statlanta » Thu May 2, 2024 9:04 pm

Riddle me this. Why is a team with an all time great C getting outrebounded by legendary margins?
Read on Twitter
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,803

Post#79 » by Raps in 4 » Thu May 2, 2024 9:04 pm

Statlanta wrote:Riddle me this. Why is a team with an all time great C getting outrebounded by legendary margins?

While missing their best bigman, too.
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 754

Post#80 » by madskillz8 » Thu May 2, 2024 9:09 pm

Chokic wrote:Ive no doubt if embiid was 100% healthy during the playoffs sixers would have at the least

1. Got to eastern conference several times by now
2. Got to at least one nba finals appearance (Prob faced denver last season for nba finals showdown)

They say availability is the best ability.

Return to The General Board