Unpopular Opinion - Ty Lue has never been THAT good of a coach

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Unpopular Opinion - Ty Lue has never been THAT good of a coach 

Post#21 » by CS707 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:20 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Unpopular opinion. There are only a handful (and I’m being generous with that) that actually make a difference.

The majority of NBA coaching success comes down to, do you get along with your team and how much talent is on the team.

That should be a very popular opinion because it's spot on.

I guess in-game management is somewhat of a skill but more often than not, I think it's just luck that a certain decision with regard to a rotation or timeout, etc. works.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,283

Post#22 » by Clemenza » Thu May 2, 2024 4:21 pm

He's a good coach. A really good adjustment guy. Kawhi being injured every postseason crushes the team and the gameplan.

But the overrated talk probably comes from the fact that he's with Klutch Sports and ESPN and Klutch seem to be partners.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,376

Post#23 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 2, 2024 4:23 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:I think Lue got a little overrated during that series comeback against the Mavs in 2021. Media/fans go crazy for visible adjustments that shift a series, and forget the original expectations. The Clippers went down 0-2 in part because Lue was getting out-coached. Carlisle had his less talented Mavs team better prepared, and it took Lue 2 games to catch up.

I think Lue is a solid coach, I just didn't go along with the reputation boost he got in 2021 as a "playoff tactictian". I do think he's a solid playoff coach that has done well to navigate talented teams deep into the playoffs. I have not enjoyed his work in the regular season, especially not during his Clipper years.

In terms of understanding coaching from a fan perspective, I think it's easier to learn about them when they're coaching a less talented team and have to come up with things to get a team to overachieve. Lue has only coached the Lebron Cavs and the Kawhi Clippers so we've never seen him in that context. Well I guess we saw him for 6 games after Lebron left. He went 0-6 and got fired but I'm not sure we learned much fron that.

Whenever there are coaching rankings, I don't have Lue in the top tier, but I have him in the next one. He is clearly a capable coach with an impressive resume.

KP didn't do enough in that series, just 13 ppg averaging 20 ppg in the regular season. Mavs had a 3 to 2 lead Clippers win Game 6 in Dallas by 7, KP only scored 7. It's funny how Lue got the praise but if KP just showed up that game Dallas wins the series.
"The best ability is availability"

Not if the player sucks a**.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,773

Post#24 » by Roger Murdock » Thu May 2, 2024 4:32 pm

Lue is amazing at ATO plays, keeping team on track through adversity, getting egos and personalities to buy in, and utilizing role players

When has he ever underacheived? When his players have been hurt? Gtfo

I think he’s a top top tier coach.
DLoMor
Junior
And1: 642

Post#25 » by DLoMor » Thu May 2, 2024 4:48 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:Lue is amazing at ATO plays, keeping team on track through adversity, getting egos and personalities to buy in, and utilizing role players

He didn’t make the playoffs in 2022, underachieved.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,931

Post#26 » by Jadoogar » Thu May 2, 2024 4:51 pm

Ambrose wrote:Coaches get way too much ****. He's down 3-2 to the hottest team in the league post AS break and he had playoff Harden/PG tonight, without Kawhi. He's basically never had a healthy group in LAC. You can do much worse.

we see maybe 10% of what actually goes into coaching. It's also hard to notice the good things a coach does whereas as mistakes are easy to see, especially with the benefit of hindsight.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,888

Post#27 » by Patches Perry » Thu May 2, 2024 4:56 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Unpopular opinion. There are only a handful (and I’m being generous with that) that actually make a difference.

The majority of NBA coaching success comes down to, do you get along with your team and how much talent is on the team.

Nailed it. There is such thing as bad coaches but no such thing as good coaches. A bad coach can tank you but there's only so much return you get on a "good" coach. It's marginal.

Popovich spent his whole coaching career having people think his "system" could get his teams to the playoffs every season, but here we are a few years after Duncan retired and Spurs are the worst team in the league two years running. Not a knock on Pop, talent just reigns supreme in the NBA.
Roger Murdock
RealGM

Post#28 » by Roger Murdock » Thu May 2, 2024 5:00 pm

DLoMor wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:Lue is amazing at ATO plays, keeping team on track through adversity, getting egos and personalities to buy in, and utilizing role players

Winning 42 games in the west with Reggie Jackson, Terrence Mann, Luke Kennard, Zubac, Amir Coffee, Marcus Morris, Nic Batum, and Eric Bledsoe as your 8 man rotation is an outrageous accomplishment.

That was a 10/10 coaching season. That’s a 22 win team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,459

Post#29 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 2, 2024 5:59 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:
DLoMor wrote:

Winning 42 games in the west with Reggie Jackson, Terrence Mann, Luke Kennard, Zubac, Amir Coffee, Marcus Morris, Nic Batum, and Eric Bledsoe as your 8 man rotation is an outrageous accomplishment.

I count 17 of those wins were in games that PG played in....

Ty Lue did a learn thing or two about defense along the way, though, and it's just a shame the Cavs had to be down 2-0 to the Warriors in the Finals before he realized the team was never going to figure out Mike Longabardi's defensive system and needed to go back to his own dumbed down system he ran for David Blatt.
Roger Murdock
RealGM

Post#30 » by Roger Murdock » Thu May 2, 2024 9:07 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:
DLoMor wrote:He didn’t make the playoffs in 2022, underachieved.

Ty Lue did a learn thing or two about defense along the way, though, and it's just a shame the Cavs had to be down 2-0 to the Warriors in the Finals before he realized the team was never going to figure out Mike Longabardi's defensive system and needed to go back to his own dumbed down system he ran for David Blatt.

That means he went 25-26 with a team led in minutes, scoring, and assists by Reggie Jackson - who hadn’t had a BPM over 1 in over 6 prior seasons. Remarkable.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,244

Post#31 » by Darthlukey » Thu May 2, 2024 9:23 pm

DLoMor wrote:I feel like personally he is one of the most overrated coaches out there. Kind of lucked out winning a ring cause of Lebron too, without him, he has struggled. The first year with the Clippers he did alright but ever since then, he kinda has struggled. I don't know, Idk why people see him as a top 10 or top 5 coach, but that is just me. You guys may disagree, but this is just a discussion, why some people call him that good of a coach.

I am going to attempt to summarise Lue's system - prime Lebron, a very good Kyrie irving, a bunch of shooters and the most important component, Draymond Green getting his dumbass suspended (rightly so) during the finals killing all of GSW momentum and opening the door for the Cavs to comeback.

Dray doesnt get suspended, warrriors likely win the series and nobody would ever think Lue is more than an average coach at best.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,764

Post#32 » by Chanel Bomber » Thu May 2, 2024 9:30 pm

Ty Lue put in a coaching masterclass in the 2016 Finals.

Interesting how the two championship coaches in the last 20 years who have their rings held against them have one thing in common. Hmmmm...
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,257

Post#33 » by Edrees » Thu May 2, 2024 9:36 pm

It's not bad though. He's a decent/good coach. I don't think he is anywhere near elite though so I agree with the premse.
Raptor_Guy
General Manager
And1: 3,062

Post#34 » by Raptor_Guy » Thu May 2, 2024 9:37 pm

I don't know why everything these days has to be prefaced with "unpopular opinion" especially when it's not actually unpopular, just say your opinion, that's what this forum is for.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,072

Post#35 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu May 2, 2024 9:39 pm

Lue has never been an above average coach IMO but yeah like others have said, I don't knock him for his time with the Clips. Most of their probs have been out of his control.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Roger Murdock
RealGM

Post#36 » by Roger Murdock » Thu May 2, 2024 10:16 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:Lue has never been an above average coach IMO but yeah like others have said, I don't knock him for his time with the Clips. Most of their probs have been out of his control.

So do you consider him a bad coach for going to the finals and winning a title in his non clips years?
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,072

Post#37 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu May 2, 2024 10:47 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:Lue has never been an above average coach IMO but yeah like others have said, I don't knock him for his time with the Clips. Most of their probs have been out of his control.

So do you consider him a bad coach for going to the finals and winning a title in his non clips years?

I'm one who believes he benefitted greatly from the team he was given. I give him credit for building positive relationships with players but IMO he's not a true difference maker like other great coaches.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,158

Post#38 » by HMFFL » Thu May 2, 2024 10:50 pm

Tyronn has a great deal of experience as a player before he became a Coach. He had a 50 and a 51 season with Cleveland that had Lebron James on the team. If you haven't figured things out yet, Lebron doesn't seem to be the easiest guy to coach, and Lue found that out after being fired to start the season off 0-6.

The Clippers haven't been an easy test. While in most cases the superstars don't need to be coached on the court but the locker room must be good.

Coach Lue is doing something eight because he has a 128-83 (60%) regular season record.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#39 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 2, 2024 11:03 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:

That means he went 25-26 with a team led in minutes, scoring, and assists by Reggie Jackson - who hadn’t had a BPM over 1 in over 6 prior seasons. Remarkable.

The Clips were losing their minutes when Reggie was on the floor that season.

Some of the guys who should get credit include Hartenstein, Kennard, and Mann. Winslow and Covington didn't play much, but they did play well. So, some shooting, some defense ... play hard / play D and you can hang around .500 apparently.

They had the 8th ranked defense, but the 24th ranked offense, so definitely should be looking for answers on the end of the floor Reggie Jackson doesn't participate much on.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#40 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 2, 2024 11:09 pm

HMFFL wrote:Tyronn has a great deal of experience as a player before he became a Coach. He had a 50 and a 51 season with Cleveland that had Lebron James on the team.I'd you haven't figured things out yet, Lebron doesn't seem to be the easiest guy to cosch, and Lue found that out after being fired to start the season off 0-6.

The Clippers haven't been an easy test. While in most cases the superstars don't need to be coached on the court but the locker room must be good.

Coach Lue is doing something eight because he has a 128-83 (60%) regular season record.

LeBron wasn't on the team when Lue got fired.

We lost Kevin Love to injury that season and it no longer made sense that Lue was trotting out vets trying to win games and failing miserably at it. The FO (and the entire fan base) wanted him to play Collin Sexton and whatever young players we had on that team and he ignored the request and was fired for someone who would play the younger players and "earn" us a decent draft pick (aka Darius Garland).

Return to The General Board