Unpopular Opinion - Ty Lue has never been THAT good of a coach

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

DLoMor
Junior
And1: 642

Unpopular Opinion - Ty Lue has never been THAT good of a coach 

Post#1 » by DLoMor » Thu May 2, 2024 4:48 am

I feel like personally he is one of the most overrated coaches out there. Kind of lucked out winning a ring cause of Lebron too, without him, he has struggled. The first year with the Clippers he did alright but ever since then, he kinda has struggled. I don't know, Idk why people see him as a top 10 or top 5 coach, but that is just me. You guys may disagree, but this is just a discussion, why some people call him that good of a coach.
SweaterBae
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,117

Re: Unpopular Opinion - Ty Lue has never been THAT good of a coach 

Post#2 » by SweaterBae » Thu May 2, 2024 4:50 am

Almost none of these guys coach anymore.They're CEOs/Cheerleaders.
eskis
Junior
And1: 379

Post#3 » by eskis » Thu May 2, 2024 4:55 am

That is in fact a popular opinion
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,518

Post#4 » by Ambrose » Thu May 2, 2024 5:04 am

Coaches get way too much ****. He's down 3-2 to the hottest team in the league post AS break and he had playoff Harden/PG tonight, without Kawhi. He's basically never had a healthy group in LAC. You can do much worse.
The Rainmaker
Pro Prospect
And1: 600

Post#5 » by The Rainmaker » Thu May 2, 2024 5:10 am

I agree that Ty Lue is massively overrated, but it has nothing to do with series.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#6 » by WentzerWuver » Thu May 2, 2024 5:11 am

DLoMor wrote:I feel like personally he is one of the most overrated coaches out there. Kind of lucked out winning a ring cause of Lebron too, without him, he has struggled. The first year with the Clippers he did alright but ever since then, he kinda has struggled. I don't know, Idk why people see him as a top 10 or top 5 coach, but that is just me. You guys may disagree, but this is just a discussion, why some people call him that good of a coach.
Lol this thread needs to be closed immediately.

Ty Lue would be hired by every team who cares about winning.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,035

Post#7 » by NZB2323 » Thu May 2, 2024 5:15 am

It’s kind of hard to coach a team if you never know when your stars are going to be playing.

He’s the only coach who has made the WCF with the Clippers. He’s the only coach who has come back from being down 3-1 in the finals.

He’s a good coach.
DLoMor
Junior
And1: 642

Post#8 » by DLoMor » Thu May 2, 2024 5:15 am

WentzerWuver wrote:
DLoMor wrote:I feel like personally he is one of the most overrated coaches out there. Kind of lucked out winning a ring cause of Lebron too, without him, he has struggled. The first year with the Clippers he did alright but ever since then, he kinda has struggled. I don't know, Idk why people see him as a top 10 or top 5 coach, but that is just me. You guys may disagree, but this is just a discussion, why some people call him that good of a coach.

But he is not better than Mike Malone which a lot of people on this board seem to think so.
doogie_hauser
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,310

Post#9 » by doogie_hauser » Thu May 2, 2024 5:18 am

Kawhi is never really healthy during the playoffs with the Clippers, so it's not really fair to judge him because of that.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,376

Post#10 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 2, 2024 5:20 am

The NBA coach is largely overrated in my opinion. I mean if you're implementing the triangle offense like Phil Jackson did that's different but then again he had MJ Pippen Kobe and Shaq that doesn't hurt.
"The best ability is availability"

Not if the player sucks a**.
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,477

Post#11 » by MrGoat » Thu May 2, 2024 6:22 am

This series would already be over if he wasn't the superior coach. What could he do with Harden going cold in the same game Pandemic P resurfaced
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,786

Post#12 » by One_and_Done » Thu May 2, 2024 7:15 am

Not exactly a hot take.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Handlez
Junior
And1: 517

Post#13 » by Handlez » Thu May 2, 2024 7:25 am

What's he supposed to do with Podcast P and Playoff Harden?
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#14 » by WentzerWuver » Thu May 2, 2024 1:13 pm

DLoMor wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:

But he is not better than Mike Malone which a lot of people on this board seem to think so.
On this board?

Malone is a great coach but no one has been able to do more with less than Ty. I would fire Nurse immediately right now for Ty to take over game 6 tonight and so would many other Sixers fans cause we care about winning, not whining! I think many Knicks fans would as well over Thibs.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2024-04-29/los-angeles-clippers-dallas-mavericks-series-analysis

I am confident we can even beat the Knicks in this series with Ty.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,015

Post#15 » by anotherhomer » Thu May 2, 2024 1:18 pm

this is a bad take....Tyronne Lue is a good coach....he just have the worser players right now
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,927

Post#16 » by cupcakesnake » Thu May 2, 2024 1:29 pm

I think Lue got a little overrated during that series comeback against the Mavs in 2021. Media/fans go crazy for visible adjustments that shift a series, and forget the original expectations. The Clippers went down 0-2 in part because Lue was getting out-coached. Carlisle had his less talented Mavs team better prepared, and it took Lue 2 games to catch up.

I think Lue is a solid coach, I just didn't go along with the reputation boost he got in 2021 as a "playoff tactictian". I do think he's a solid playoff coach that has done well to navigate talented teams deep into the playoffs. I have not enjoyed his work in the regular season, especially not during his Clipper years.

In terms of understanding coaching from a fan perspective, I think it's easier to learn about them when they're coaching a less talented team and have to come up with things to get a team to overachieve. Lue has only coached the Lebron Cavs and the Kawhi Clippers so we've never seen him in that context. Well I guess we saw him for 6 games after Lebron left. He went 0-6 and got fired but I'm not sure we learned much fron that.

Whenever there are coaching rankings, I don't have Lue in the top tier, but I have him in the next one. He is clearly a capable coach with an impressive resume.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,630

Post#17 » by shi-woo » Thu May 2, 2024 2:32 pm

He's gotten better, I wouldn't consider him a bad coach anymore, but he's not exactly as good as some of these posters are making out. He' not on the Malone, Spo level of coaches, nor is he in like Stevens (when he coached), Hardy, and Finch who actually create solid tactics and gameplans which create a level of consistency.

He's a Third tier coach in a league that has had a massive increase in coaching talent over the last few years. I think we're so used to half the league having deadbeats at the helm, that this has gotten lost in the shuffle for a lot of people who still think guys like Vaugn and Clifford are the norm. They aren't, so to be considered a great coach you legit have to be a great coach these days. If you are a playoff team, you probably have a solid coach, and even teams that didn't make the PO you still have a decent coach like Donavan,Jenkins, Ime, Pop, and Hardy.

I think compared to his peers, he's rally not that good, and like most coaches think he's situational. It's hilarious that his mentor was Doc Rivers, because that's exactly the type of coach he is. One that does more by relating to his guys, and putting them where they want to be and hoping for the best. Unlike Doc, Lue actually has the ability to make some in game adjustments and feel the game, while not at an elite level, is still something a lot of bad coaches don't do.

Lue is that coach who, again like Doc, is going to bounce around the league and be a staple for 20 years, and will always be middle of the pack. Just like Doc, he'll always seem better than he actually is because of the injury excuses (TMac/KG vs Kawhi), and live off of having ATG's win him a ring.

He won't be able to coach a team that isn't already contending, but isn't ever going to be the best coach to take on that mantle.

These types of coaches are actually extremely valuable, like he showed 2 years ago, and Doc showed in ORL, because they are the perfect bridge coaches for teams looking to make the jump, but aren't the guy you want at the helm when you finally do. The Sccott Brooks conundrum of the 2010's essentially.

He's in the Mike Brown tier of coaches right now, but I would still rather have Mike, another guy who I commend for learning from his mistakes and improving at every stop.

Spo, Malone, Finch, Kerr, Hardy, Donavon, Ime, Jenkins, Budz,Thibs, Nurse, Carlise, Daignault, and Pop are all clearly better coaches than him either by X&O's, game management, or both.

I wouldn't say they are clearly better, but I personally would prefer if Brown, 2nd row Joe, and Vogal were my teams coach if contending.

The other coaches are either too new to form a legit opinion like Mosely, Jordi, or Raja. Or just very similar to Lue in Ham, Green, Monty, Kidd and Doc.

He's only a clearly better coach than Cliff who was fired, Ham, Chauncey, JB who is getting fired, and...that's it.

Not a knock on Lue, I just think people under estimate how much talent is now in the NBA coachig circles. I mean two A level coaches in Stevens and Budz aren't even coaching right now :lol:
BodieB
Veteran
And1: 3,366

Post#18 » by BodieB » Thu May 2, 2024 2:51 pm

Rich man's Doc Rivers
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,028

Post#19 » by Duke4life831 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:11 pm

Unpopular opinion. There are only a handful (and I’m being generous with that) that actually make a difference.

The majority of NBA coaching success comes down to, do you get along with your team and how much talent is on the team.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,668

Post#20 » by tsherkin » Thu May 2, 2024 4:15 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Unpopular opinion. There are only a handful (and I’m being generous with that) that actually make a difference.

The majority of NBA coaching success comes down to, do you get along with your team and how much talent is on the team.

I'm with this.

Head coach is a role about personality/ego management more than anything else. Assistants get the technical bits together, for the most part. You have to get a bead on when your team needs a timeout and other stuff like that but coaching actually does only so much in-game, and prep ahead of time leans heavily on quality of assistants and scouting and all that stuff. And then the players still actually have to listen to you.

Return to The General Board