How Steve Ballmer’s blind competitiveness will destroy the Clippers.

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,111

Re: How Steve Ballmer’s blind competitiveness will destroy the Clippers. 

Post#61 » by Effigy » Fri May 3, 2024 5:58 am

OkcSinceSGA wrote:You CANNOT win a title without the draft. You CANNOT buy a title like you can in baseball by throwing money at things. Ballmer has a blind loyalty to Lawrence Frank, Lue, Kawhi. He is so desperate to always win, that he spent this summer doing media rounds talking about how he will never “tank” or be bad for any period of time.

He made it clear that he will not allow a rebuild. So in line with that philosophy, the Clippers have continued to give away draft picks, pushing their picks from 2026 or 2027 to basically 2030 now with the Harden trade.

But this incredible blind spot is likely to rob him of ever winning at a high level. It may be odd to theorize this, considering they came from an opposite kind of owner. One who never spent money, didn’t care at all about winning.

Ballmer has the opposite extreme mindset. Passion is great, desire to win is great. If it doesn’t include awareness or balance in team building (win now vs win long term) it will still lead to the same result (no title).

What would I tell Ballmer? It’s okay to be bad for a year or two while you make changes. It’s okay to develop young guys like Bones, Kobe Brown, Boston Jr, Kai Jones, Diabate for a year or two. What really is the difference in winning 51 games and being out in the first round vs winning 40 and not making the playoffs?

The Clippers current plan should be now that they stupidly re-signed Kawhi 3 years early for no reason… to take a year off. Nuke the front office and coaching staff. Rest Kawhi a lot next year. The following summer they have 115+ million in cap space in a shiny new arena in LA.

Jayson Tatum, Jalen Brunson, Donovan Mitchell a have player options they are likely to decline for more money in this free agent class.

The goal next year would be to let Kawhi heal his knee, play the hell out of young guys to see if one of them pans out. Try out a few G league or undrafted guys looking for a gem. Basically make it one huge audition year for young talent since you don’t have valuable draft picks. Sign and trade PG who will pick up his player option, and let Harden walk.

Who cares about sunken cost. Let them go, hit the reset. Maybe you’ll get lucky and Kawhi will retire early.

Sounds just like what a fan of the team who has the Clippers’ draft picks would say. ‘Let everyone walk and sign g league players, surely a star will come then!’
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 750

Post#62 » by Captain Ballmer » Fri May 3, 2024 7:05 am

Nope. Ballmer and his "blind competitiveness" is great for a franchise.

Clippers needs to change FO.

Not offering Hartenstein a contract so you can sign John Wall? Starting 2022-23 season without back-up center..
Completely missed out on later draft picks...
Unable to retrieve playoff caliber vets in 2023 summer when your roster consists injury risk old core. We literally have 7 playoff worthy rotation players including Kawhi.
Why the hell Josh Primo contract?
Why trade for Eric Gordon just to waive him after 20 games with cost of missing on your pick drafting Cam Whitmore to retrieve 30th pick Kobe Brown(Projected 2nd round 24 year old player)

Denver got Payton Watson, Braun
OKC got Wiggins, Dort
Wolves found NAW, Reid.
Pelicans find Herb Jones, Dyson Daniels.
Sacto finds Keon Ellis.

Clippers missed out important players either with draft or unable to re-sign their players(Hartenstein-Beverley-Reggie)

When you have to roll with Russ & Plumlee & PJ Tucker in 2024 its over. This FO still hopes another team's trashes (Kai Jones-Bones Hyland-Josh Primo) will playout differently for them.

Injuries something you can't control, but roster management is. We could beat Phx last season, or even Dallas this season(I know series haven't concluded yet) without Kawhi, if we maximize 12-13 men rosters. It's scandalous for the team to have 2nd largest payroll in the NBA and only eligible 6 guys to play minutes for you without hurting you.(Harden-PG-Mann-Zubac-Powell-Kawhi(injured))
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,057

Post#63 » by Johnny Bball » Fri May 3, 2024 7:13 am

Deserve's got everything to do with it.
Slimjimzv
Junior
And1: 295

Post#64 » by Slimjimzv » Fri May 3, 2024 12:23 pm

His plan should be easy. Throw all that money at Sam Presti, then get out of the way.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,043

Post#65 » by Wingy » Fri May 3, 2024 12:38 pm

Weird timing. This should’ve been created when they extended Kawhi for another 3 years.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,995

Post#66 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri May 3, 2024 4:42 pm

Slimjimzv wrote:His plan should be easy. Throw all that money at Sam Presti, then get out of the way.

Overall yes, they need to nuke the FO and get someone elite like Presti. The front office has gone from top 3 a few years ago to suddenly one of the most inept in the league. Not sure what changed. They went from amazing in the margins to bottom of the league.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Slimjimzv
Junior

Post#67 » by Slimjimzv » Fri May 3, 2024 7:26 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Slimjimzv wrote:His plan should be easy. Throw all that money at Sam Presti, then get out of the way.

Overall yes, they need to nuke the FO and get someone elite like Presti. The front office has gone from top 3 a few years ago to suddenly one of the most inept in the league. Not sure what changed. They went from amazing in the margins to bottom of the league.

As deep as his pockets are, I think he should literally go after Presti. If Presti refuses bags and bags of money, then he can go after some other top GM. Either way, afterwards, he needs to go home and learn about roster moves from Woj just like everyone else. I can't think of an instance in sports where everyone was grateful that the owner decided to get directly involved in personnel decisions.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,995

Post#68 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri May 3, 2024 7:32 pm

Slimjimzv wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:

As deep as his pockets are, I think he should literally go after Presti. If Presti refuses bags and bags of money, then he can go after some other top GM. Either way, afterwards, he needs to go home and learn about roster moves from Woj just like everyone else. I can't think of an instance in sports where everyone was grateful that the owner decided to get directly involved in personnel decisions.

OKC will never let go of Presti IMO.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Slimjimzv
Junior

Post#69 » by Slimjimzv » Fri May 3, 2024 7:34 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Slimjimzv wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:

OKC will never let go of Presti IMO.

I sure hope you're right. But if Baller throws enough money . . . .
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,971

Post#70 » by Jabroni Lames » Fri May 3, 2024 8:26 pm

BlzMwt wrote:I'm sure Kawhi is going to be down for this lol

Kawhi has 2 rings and 2 Finals MVPs. I wouldn't be surprised if his mindset is: "I've got nothing left to prove in the NBA. Why burn out my body in the playoffs... we don't get paid for this." These days, players are all about preserving their body for the next contract.
toodarkmark
Sophomore
And1: 508

Post#71 » by toodarkmark » Fri May 3, 2024 8:41 pm

The "win a championship or its all meaningless" mentality is a problem with the NBA. It's great to have a top 4 team in a competitive west that unfortunately ran into a team with two hall of famers while your top player is injured. This blaming an owner who's building a franchise that won't be a step brother to the Lakers but probably won't win a title this year, making the owner a ruiner because he isn't saving draft picks, and is paying free agents, is insane. Smh.
BlzMwt
Rookie
And1: 1,024

Post#72 » by BlzMwt » Fri May 3, 2024 11:04 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:

Kawhi has 2 rings and 2 Finals MVPs. I wouldn't be surprised if his mindset is: "I've got nothing left to prove in the NBA. Why burn out my body in the playoffs... we don't get paid for this." These days, players are all about preserving their body for the next contract.

I could understand this for the regular season but I highly doubt he doesn't want another championship.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,797

Post#73 » by ConSarnit » Sat May 4, 2024 1:37 am

Captain Ballmer wrote:Nope. Ballmer and his "blind competitiveness" is great for a franchise.

Clippers needs to change FO.

Not offering Hartenstein a contract so you can sign John Wall? Starting 2022-23 season without back-up center..
Completely missed out on later draft picks...
Unable to retrieve playoff caliber vets in 2023 summer when your roster consists injury risk old core. We literally have 7 playoff worthy rotation players including Kawhi.
Why the hell Josh Primo contract?
Why trade for Eric Gordon just to waive him after 20 games with cost of missing on your pick drafting Cam Whitmore to retrieve 30th pick Kobe Brown(Projected 2nd round 24 year old player)

Denver got Payton Watson, Braun
OKC got Wiggins, Dort
Wolves found NAW, Reid.
Pelicans find Herb Jones, Dyson Daniels.
Sacto finds Keon Ellis.

Clippers missed out important players either with draft or unable to re-sign their players(Hartenstein-Beverley-Reggie)

When you have to roll with Russ & Plumlee & PJ Tucker in 2024 its over. This FO still hopes another team's trashes (Kai Jones-Bones Hyland-Josh Primo) will playout differently for them.

Injuries something you can't control, but roster management is. We could beat Phx last season, or even Dallas this season(I know series haven't concluded yet) without Kawhi, if we maximize 12-13 men rosters. It's scandalous for the team to have 2nd largest payroll in the NBA and only eligible 6 guys to play minutes for you without hurting you.(Harden-PG-Mann-Zubac-Powell-Kawhi(injured))

Didn’t Ballmer say that draft picks are overrated like 3 months ago? Want to build depth? Maybe don’t trade every draft asset you have. It’s tough to get much depth in return when all you can offer in a trade is Moussa Diabate or the 48th pick.

I’ve only heard 2 owners say that draft picks are “overrated”. Ballmer and Ishbia. I wonder if their teams have anything in common?
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,971

Post#74 » by Jabroni Lames » Sat May 4, 2024 2:35 am

BlzMwt wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:

I could understand this for the regular season but I highly doubt he doesn't want another championship.

I think we fans vastly underestimate how much players value money over winning championships. Generational wealth has now replaced championships as the first prize for NBA players. And if you’ve already won a chip, then your legacy is unassailable, in their minds. You can fill your pockets, guilt free.
BlzMwt
Rookie
And1: 1,024

Post#75 » by BlzMwt » Sat May 4, 2024 2:39 am

Jabroni Lames wrote:
BlzMwt wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:

I think we fans vastly underestimate how much players value money over winning championships. Generational wealth has now replaced championships as the first prize for NBA players. And if you’ve already won a chip, then your legacy is unassailable, in their minds. You can fill your pockets, guilt free.

You could be right or incredibly wrong lol

Especially in Kawhi's case.

Would he be more happy with an extra 50 million dollars or would he prefer two more rings and a FMVP? Bringing the Clippers that long sought after title and winning titles for 3 different franchises?

He's so quiet it really is just speculation
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,710

Post#76 » by Vampirate » Sat May 4, 2024 2:54 am

They took a gamble with Kawhi+PG, it just hasn't paid off.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,601

Post#77 » by Devilanche » Sat May 4, 2024 4:28 am

OkcSinceSGA wrote:

Isn’t this around the time that Jerry west take a back seat ? Or did I remember wrongly ?

Presti won’t work at clippers . He build through the draft and Ballmer won’t .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Hook_Em
Rookie
And1: 757

Post#78 » by Hook_Em » Sat May 4, 2024 4:33 am

I don’t normally feel bad for billionaires but I feel bad for owners who spend to the limit and get stuck in purgatory while other owners are cheap and continue to make money on their franchise’s value year after year. There’s really no light at the end of the tunnel for Ballmer who just built a state of the art arena on his own dime.
NBA4Lyfe
Veteran
And1: 1,652

Post#79 » by NBA4Lyfe » Sat May 4, 2024 4:50 am

i love that ballmer pays his players..

wish more owners were like that
Mrakar
Starter
And1: 2,599

Post#80 » by Mrakar » Sat May 4, 2024 5:04 am

All the big moves Clippers did were the right moves at the time. PG, Kawhi,... even Harden, as bad as he was they didnt give almost anything. Its not his fault that their best player is always injured when it matters.
They had some bad small moves. As mentioned Hartenstein, Wall, Westbrook, Gordon,...
If everything is going well, expect an WojBomb
#Pelslife :cry:

Return to The General Board