2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #2 New York Knicks vs #6 Indiana Pacers (Series tied 3-3)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins GAME 7 and goes to the ECFs?

Knicks
No votes
Pacers
100%

Total votes: 4

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,745

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #2 New York Knicks vs #6 Indiana Pacers 

Post#201 » by Dirk » Sat May 4, 2024 10:17 pm

Disclaimer: this isn't meant to 'mock' anyone. Have a great deal of respect for eyeatoma who reps his team/players in good and bad. It's also not a dig at Sixers or Tobias Harris, he can keep hoodwinking teams as long as it's not mine. It is also not a dig at Embiid, I am agnostic to the player, it's just a play on the constant ft talk. This is merely all in harmless fun.
60/21/10
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,173

Post#202 » by Wizop » Sat May 4, 2024 10:24 pm

RHODEY wrote:I'll take it that the Pacers will be upset when the Knicks Dominate the boards.

We've not been a good rebounding team all year. I doubt we'll be surprised or upset if the trend continues.

Will the Knicks be upset if we have 30 assists and our bench scores over 40?
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,994

Post#203 » by Nuntius » Sat May 4, 2024 10:43 pm

RHODEY wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:This series would have been so fun with a pre-injury Haliburton. I still think the Knicks would have won, but who knows, pre-injury Haliburton was doing some ridiculous things.

Brunson though, everytime I think he's kinda peaked, he just continues to improve. I'm done guessing what his ceiling is, because I've been wrong about it 20 times already.

That hamstring injury happened in early January . I know hamstrings can be tricky, but its been 4 months. No more excuses for him.I think he was playing over his head and what we are seeing now is close to what he is.

What we are seeing right now is not just worse than what we saw before his injury this year. It's also worse than last year and, frankly, kinda worse than his whole career, especially when it comes to his perimeter shooting. He is shooting 30.4% from 3 post-ASG. He shot 29.6% from 3 in the Milwaukee series. He is a career 39.3% 3-point shooter and he had never shot lower than 40% for a season before this one. Oh, and he didn't shoot below 40% before the injury this year either. He shot exactly 40% from 3 pre-ASG.

Look, if you do not want to believe that Hali is a 22/12 on excellent efficiency like he was pre-ASG, that's fine. I can understand that position. But he's definitely not a 30% 3-point shooter like he is right now either. There is something (be it the hamstring itself or a lack of trust on his body) that is clearly limiting him right now.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,895

Post#204 » by RHODEY » Sat May 4, 2024 10:44 pm

Wizop wrote:
RHODEY wrote:I'll take it that the Pacers will be upset when the Knicks Dominate the boards.

We've not been a good rebounding team all year. I doubt we'll be surprised or upset if the trend continues.

Will the Knicks be upset if we have 30 assists and our bench scores over 40?

Not at all because the end result will be that same.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#205 » by RHODEY » Sat May 4, 2024 10:46 pm

Nuntius wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:This series would have been so fun with a pre-injury Haliburton. I still think the Knicks would have won, but who knows, pre-injury Haliburton was doing some ridiculous things.

Brunson though, everytime I think he's kinda peaked, he just continues to improve. I'm done guessing what his ceiling is, because I've been wrong about it 20 times already.

That hamstring injury happened in early January . I know hamstrings can be tricky, but its been 4 months. No more excuses for him.I think he was playing over his head and what we are seeing now is close to what he is.

What we are seeing right now is not just worse than what we saw before his injury this year. It's also worse than last year and, frankly, kinda worse than his whole career, especially when it comes to his perimeter shooting. He is shooting 30.4% from 3 post-ASG. He shot 29.6% from 3 in the Milwaukee series. He is a career 39.3% 3-point shooter and he had never shot lower than 40% for a season before this one. Oh, and he didn't shoot below 40% before the injury this year either. He shot exactly 40% from 3 pre-ASG.

Look, if you do not want to believe that Hali is a 22/12 on excellent efficiency like he was pre-ASG, that's fine. I can understand that position. But he's definitely not a 30% 3-point shooter like he is right now either. There is something (be it the hamstring itself or a lack of trust on his body) that is clearly limiting him right now.

Poor shooting is limiting him.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#206 » by Nuntius » Sat May 4, 2024 10:46 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:I don't see the Pacers imposing their pace on us, they'll be too concerned with rebounding. We can also go small and maintain a rebounding advantage with Precious at the 5.

The issue is that we also run off of makes. You can get the offensive rebound and score but we're still going to try and run if your bigs linger in the paint a bit longer. Or, to be more precise, this is what we SHOULD do. We've generally done that throughout the year but we'll see if we can do it again.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#207 » by Nuntius » Sat May 4, 2024 10:50 pm

RHODEY wrote:
advent11 wrote:Selling out for offensive rebounds against a team like the Pacers will backfire. The analytics favor getting back on defense. I'll take the Pacers in an upset.

I'll take it that the Pacers will be upset when the Knicks Dominate the boards.

Nah, we expect that. You are one of the best rebounding teams in the league and we're one of the worst. We'll be dominated on the board and it will be expected.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#208 » by Nuntius » Sat May 4, 2024 10:59 pm

RHODEY wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

So, poor shooting limited Randle last playoffs too, right? It was not his ankle, right? It was just poor shooting?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Yeah, I don't know why you're doing this. Injuries happen. They are part of the game. Some of them are so debilitating that players need surgery and they're unable to play (like Randle), others can keep out a player long enough that they don't have a chance to play (like Giannis) and others can be played through by the player will be limited due to them (like Dame, Embiid and, yes, Haliburton).

They're not an excuse. They're just a fact. You play through them if you can and if you can't, you sit and the rest of your team plays. That's just how it is.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,078

Post#209 » by Exp0sed » Sat May 4, 2024 11:05 pm

the Knicks are the better team but I wouldn't count Indy out just yet..
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#210 » by RHODEY » Sun May 5, 2024 12:19 am

Nuntius wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

So, poor shooting limited Randle last playoffs too, right? It was not his ankle, right? It was just poor shooting?

Yeah, I don't know why you're doing this. Injuries happen. They are part of the game. Some of them are so debilitating that players need surgery and they're unable to play (like Randle), others can keep out a player long enough that they don't have a chance to play (like Giannis) and others can be played through by the player will be limited due to them (like Dame, Embiid and, yes, Haliburton).

They're not an excuse. They're just a fact. You play through them if you can and if you can't, you sit and the rest of your team plays. That's just how it is.

For Randle yes it was poor shooting. The ankle limited his mobility, not really his shooting. Embiid had Bum knee but he could still shoot . Emotional Eye rolling notwithstanding. Haliburton cant shoot right now and I don't believe its his hamstring. I believe that's who he is right now. :nod:
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#211 » by Nuntius » Sun May 5, 2024 1:46 am

RHODEY wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
RHODEY wrote:Poor shooting is limiting him.

For Randle yes it was poor shooting. The ankle limited his mobility, not really his shooting. Embiid had Bum knee but he could still shoot . Emotional Eye rolling notwithstanding. Haliburton cant shoot right now and I don't believe its his hamstring. I believe that's who he is right now. :nod:

It seems we disagree on a pretty fundamental level here. If you believe that a lower body injury cannot impact one's shooting then, well, we just aren't going to ever agree. Do you really believe that all 3 of Randle, Embiid and Haliburton just coincidentally started shooting poorly once they got injured? Is this really your claim? Because if that's your claim, then it's a piss poor claim.

Haliburton may indeed shoot poorly in this series. He did shoot poorly against Milwaukee after all. But that's not who he is as a player going forward. Same goes for Randle last season and any other player that plays through injury. You may disagree with this notion but injuries do indeed limit players.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,526

Post#212 » by baldur » Sun May 5, 2024 1:48 am

Knicks in 5 or 6. After Eliminating 76ers convincingly, they should be able to get past the pacers.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,526

Post#213 » by baldur » Sun May 5, 2024 1:49 am

Dirk wrote:Image

Disclaimer: this isn't meant to 'mock' anyone. Have a great deal of respect for eyeatoma who reps his team/players in good and bad. It's also not a dig at Sixers or Tobias Harris, he can keep hoodwinking teams as long as it's not mine. It is also not a dig at Embiid, I am agnostic to the player, it's just a play on the constant ft talk. This is merely all in harmless fun.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#214 » by RHODEY » Sun May 5, 2024 2:17 am

Nuntius wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

It seems we disagree on a pretty fundamental level here. If you believe that a lower body injury cannot impact one's shooting then, well, we just aren't going to ever agree. Do you really believe that all 3 of Randle, Embiid and Haliburton just coincidentally started shooting poorly once they got injured? Is this really your claim? Because if that's your claim, then it's a piss poor claim.

Haliburton may indeed shoot poorly in this series. He did shoot poorly against Milwaukee after all. But that's not who he is as a player going forward. Same goes for Randle last season and any other player that plays through injury. You may disagree with this notion but injuries do indeed limit players.
I never said injuries don't limit players. I said I don't think a hammy strain from 4 months ago is limiting Haliburton. I think he's come down to earth.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,850

Post#215 » by cgf » Sun May 5, 2024 2:55 am

RHODEY wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

I never said injuries don't limit players. I said I don't think a hammy strain from 4 months ago is limiting Haliburton. I think he's come down to earth.

Then how do you explain the rest of his career? Has he been hot since being drafted and just now come back down to earth?
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 92,929

Post#216 » by Capn'O » Sun May 5, 2024 3:13 am

What the hell does selling out for rebounds mean?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#217 » by Capn'O » Sun May 5, 2024 3:16 am

Dirk wrote:Image

There is a glaring omission in your disclaimer.
BAF Clippers

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#218 » by Capn'O » Sun May 5, 2024 3:19 am

Nuntius wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:I don't see the Pacers imposing their pace on us, they'll be too concerned with rebounding. We can also go small and maintain a rebounding advantage with Precious at the 5.

The issue is that we also run off of makes. You can get the offensive rebound and score but we're still going to try and run if your bigs linger in the paint a bit longer. Or, to be more precise, this is what we SHOULD do. We've generally done that throughout the year but we'll see if we can do it again.

This is why I'm thinking we'll see lopsided games. One day your gameplan will get you out running. The next we'll have you stuck in mud. I think we'll have more stuck in mud games but Carlisle is very good.
BAF Clippers

xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,645

Post#219 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun May 5, 2024 3:26 am

RHODEY wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Come down to Earth after being a 40+% shooting for his entire college and NBA career until he got injured?

You’ve got to be trolling.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,850

Post#220 » by cgf » Sun May 5, 2024 3:27 am

Capn'O wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

This is why I'm thinking we'll see lopsided games. One day your gameplan will get you out running. The next we'll have you stuck in mud. I think we'll have more stuck in mud games but Carlisle is very good.

I can certainly see the style of play vacillating from game to game, but both teams are scrappy enough to keep it competitive playing at each other's pace. So I dunno how many lopsided games we'll actually see.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!

Return to The General Board