This Jalen Brunson season is better than any season from Kyrie, Dame, and who else?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

bronxknicksfan1
Veteran
And1: 1,532

Re: This Jalen Brunson season is better than any season from Kyrie, Dame, and who else? 

Post#121 » by bronxknicksfan1 » Sat May 4, 2024 6:39 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
bronxknicksfan1 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Because he brought up the Nets lol. Just like you guys always do whenever I make any comment on the Knicks.

I like Brunson. Hes a good player. But hes not better than Dame or Kyrie. Sorry.

All-time? Not there yet. Rn? Absolutely

The thread says "any season."

I’d argue this is better than any season Kyrie has put up as a #1 or #2. We’ll see how Brunson performs in the ECSF.

Dame is the one I’m not putting him over.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,455

Re: This Jalen Brunson season is better than any season from Kyrie, Dame, and who else? 

Post#122 » by NoStatsGuy » Sat May 4, 2024 11:16 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
NoStatsGuy wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:LOL what has he done?

Beat a 7 seed with their best player injured?

Thats better than Dame's WCF run? Or Kyrie winning the Finals.

im with you on dame. but kyrie has never been a #1 in his career.

kyrie is nice and has a beautful game but hes not on brunsons level. he cant carry a team, all "his" teams were better without him, when he wanted to be the guy. boston, brooklyn, cleveland.

listen i love kyrie when hes balling and i dont wanna come across as a hater. but why does brunson need to win the title to surprass kyrie, when kyrie was lebrons lil bro? kyrie didnt win sh*t ever since

I think Kyrie was unreal on those Cavs teams in the Finals. I haven't seen Brunson do anything to that level yet.

Getting out of the first round isn't that crazy. Kyrie did that on that Celtics team too lol. As the clear #1.

he was amazing in the finals as the #2 guy, sure. that argument doesnt mean anything to me tho, when you judge brunson based on him being the #1.

put prime lebron on these knicks and they gonna be in the finals pretty easily, im fairly certain about that. then we can make a fair comparision. we have 0 evidence of kyrie being able to carry a team like brunson does. besides brunson is just miles ahead when it comes to leadership. that alone makes him better in my opinion.

but if we just talk about, if this season is better than any season from kyrie i am fine with admitting every season that ends in a ring could be seen as better. im just saying its not that easy to compare, especially when the season isnt over yet.
im bout dat action boss
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,855

Post#123 » by cgf » Sat May 4, 2024 11:32 am

Los_29 wrote:Kyrie won a championship, Dame went to the WCF which was a lot tougher than the East.

Kyrie won a championship as a 2nd option. As a #1 option he failed to make the playoffs in Cleveland and then took a Boston team that made it to an ECF while he was injured ('18) and lost with them in round 2 ('19)...so Brunson has already had as much success as Irving as a #1 option, despite having less help.

Dame has that WCF run as his team's #1...but Jalen has the chance to match that if we beat Indiana, and if you wanna say that beating the Pacers isn't that impressive, I'd argue it's more impressive than beating the 2019 Thunder like Dame did in round 1.

I'll totally concede that the '19 Nuggets were a tougher opponent than the '24 76ers, but both teams featured MVP-caliber Centers, Allstar-level PGs, and supporting casts that still need(ed) work...and both runs are likely to end at the hands of an all-time great regular season team.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,002

Post#124 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat May 4, 2024 6:35 pm

bronxknicksfan1 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
bronxknicksfan1 wrote:
All-time? Not there yet. Rn? Absolutely

I’d argue this is better than any season Kyrie has put up as a #1 or #2. We’ll see how Brunson performs in the ECSF.

He literally made the 2nd round. What is this "run" you guys keep talking about lol.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#125 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat May 4, 2024 6:38 pm

NoStatsGuy wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
NoStatsGuy wrote:
im with you on dame. but kyrie has never been a #1 in his career.

kyrie is nice and has a beautful game but hes not on brunsons level. he cant carry a team, all "his" teams were better without him, when he wanted to be the guy. boston, brooklyn, cleveland.

listen i love kyrie when hes balling and i dont wanna come across as a hater. but why does brunson need to win the title to surprass kyrie, when kyrie was lebrons lil bro? kyrie didnt win sh*t ever since

I think Kyrie was unreal on those Cavs teams in the Finals. I haven't seen Brunson do anything to that level yet.

Getting out of the first round isn't that crazy. Kyrie did that on that Celtics team too lol. As the clear #1.

he was amazing in the finals as the #2 guy, sure. that argument doesnt mean anything to me tho, when you judge brunson based on him being the #1.

put prime lebron on these knicks and they gonna be in the finals pretty easily, im fairly certain about that. then we can make a fair comparision. we have 0 evidence of kyrie being able to carry a team like brunson does. besides brunson is just miles ahead when it comes to leadership. that alone makes him better in my opinion.

but if we just talk about, if this season is better than any season from kyrie i am fine with admitting every season that ends in a ring could be seen as better. im just saying its not that easy to compare, especially when the season isnt over yet.

Bunson can "carry" a team to the 2nd round. Ok.

So can Kyrie. So can a lot of other guys.

Its not super impressive.

I don't think Brunson could do what Kyrie did in the '16 Finals. At all.

He was a #2 in Dallas with Luka v the Warriros. And he wasn't very good.
bronxknicksfan1
Veteran

Post#126 » by bronxknicksfan1 » Sat May 4, 2024 8:24 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
bronxknicksfan1 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

He literally made the 2nd round. What is this "run" you guys keep talking about lol.

At what point did Kyrie average an efficient 40/10 over any 4 game stretch in the playoffs as a #1?
UglyBugBall
Senior
And1: 730

Post#127 » by UglyBugBall » Sat May 4, 2024 8:36 pm

Kyrie is literally better than Brunson RIGHT NOW. And peak Dame? Come on man
cgf
RealGM

Post#128 » by cgf » Sat May 4, 2024 10:22 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
NoStatsGuy wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

You say that even Kyrie can. Yet the only times he was a #1 he failed to make the playoffs (Cleveland) or did worse than when he was injured (Boston).
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#129 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun May 5, 2024 1:26 am

bronxknicksfan1 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
bronxknicksfan1 wrote:

At what point did Kyrie average an efficient 40/10 over any 4 game stretch in the playoffs as a #1?

What Kyrie did in the Finals was 100x more impressive. Don't care if he was #1 or not.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#130 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun May 5, 2024 1:26 am

cgf wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
NoStatsGuy wrote:

You say that even Kyrie can. Yet the only times he was a #1 he failed to make the playoffs (Cleveland) or did worse than when he was injured (Boston).

Still look the Celtics to the 2nd round. So doesn't matter.
cgf
RealGM

Post#131 » by cgf » Sun May 5, 2024 1:32 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
cgf wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

Yes, Kyrie took an ECF team to the 2nd round. Brunson took a team that missed the playoffs to the 2nd round...

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#132 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun May 5, 2024 3:18 am

cgf wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
cgf wrote:

Yes, Kyrie took an ECF team to the 2nd round. Brunson took a team that missed the playoffs to the 2nd round...

Yeah he lost to prime Giannis. Crazy. :lol:

I'm sure Brunson would def beat that team.
bronxknicksfan1
Veteran

Post#133 » by bronxknicksfan1 » Sun May 5, 2024 5:47 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
bronxknicksfan1 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

What Kyrie did in the Finals was 100x more impressive. Don't care if he was #1 or not.

I’ll disagree there. This version of Brunson could do that next to prime LeBron.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,718

Post#134 » by SelfishPlayer » Sun May 5, 2024 5:52 pm

Patches Perry wrote:He has put himself in that category with Dame and Kyrie, but not above it. He may do that soon, but hasn't yet.

Jalen Brunson is leading a team. Kyrie has never done that successfully. He tried in Boston and got ran out of the city. Dame depended on CJ. Dame is nothing without CJ. Brunson beat the Sixers by himself!
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
TheAlchemist
General Manager
And1: 8,247

Post#135 » by TheAlchemist » Sun May 5, 2024 6:00 pm

I think a lot of people talking trash about Brunson have changed the goalpost on the discussion.

Comparing him to PRIME Lillard? A season of PRIME Lillard is like top 5-10 in NBA history. What the heck?! Comparing a guy not making the max and an after thought to Dallas?!

That being said, I am THOROUGHLY impressed by Jalen Brunson. I've become a HUGE HUGE fan.

As a Raptors fan, I am saw a lot of Fred VanVleet play, and I can say without a shadow of a doubt, that Fred is a poor mans Brunson. This guy made shot after shot against an actual good Philly defense.

Nick Nurse game plans against the opponents best player. His style of defense is always to hone in on that one guy and shut him down. And Brunson scored 40's.

Amazing player and good luck New York! Got a friend from the North.
cgf
RealGM

Post#136 » by cgf » Sun May 5, 2024 6:10 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:He has put himself in that category with Dame and Kyrie, but not above it. He may do that soon, but hasn't yet.

Jalen Brunson is leading a team. Kyrie has never done that successfully. He tried in Boston and got ran out of the city. Dame depended on CJ. Dame is nothing without CJ. Brunson beat the Sixers by himself!

The bolded is silly, but Jalen is doing something Kyrie never could. Now Kyrie did something that Jalen hasn't been able to...win a ring as the #2, but I'd say what Jalen is doing is even more impressive and I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that if the Mavs had paid Jalen what he was worth, he would've matched Kyrie's achievement eventually.

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#137 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun May 5, 2024 6:13 pm

bronxknicksfan1 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
bronxknicksfan1 wrote:

I’ll disagree there. This version of Brunson could do that next to prime LeBron.

Ok man. We already saw Brunson **** the bed v the Warriors with Luka.

So no proof otherwise.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,687

Post#138 » by tsherkin » Sun May 5, 2024 6:35 pm

uncleduck13 wrote:Safe to say Brunson has peaked higher than Kyrie and Dame. What other elite PGs have inferior peaks?
Where does this season rank historically from a PG?

Neither of these things is true... especially with Lillard.
bronxknicksfan1
Veteran

Post#139 » by bronxknicksfan1 » Sun May 5, 2024 6:49 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
bronxknicksfan1 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

Ok man. We already saw Brunson **** the bed v the Warriors with Luka.

So no proof otherwise.

It’s been 2 years since then. Brunson has gotten better. And is currently better than Kyrie was in that 15-16 season. No doubt he would’ve been able to do that next to LeBron.

What we’re seeing now, Kyrie’s never done either.
xchange55
Senior
And1: 526

Post#140 » by xchange55 » Sun May 5, 2024 6:59 pm

uncleduck13 wrote:Safe to say Brunson has peaked higher than Kyrie and Dame.

I wish this was posted as a poll. Because I will have to respectively disagree.

Return to The General Board