Is this the end of the Embiid Era in PHI?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Is this the end of the Embiid Era in PHI? 

Post#1 » by Marvin Martian » Fri May 3, 2024 3:55 am

I don't know where PHI goes after this. Harris is obviously gone. But what are the alternatives? A 34 year old Paul George? If I am PHI, I would trade Embiid. They still have Maxey who is good enough to take PHI to the play in so the lost picks don't hurt them so much
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,376

Re: Is this the end of the Embiid Era in PHI? 

Post#2 » by Woodsanity » Fri May 3, 2024 3:57 am

I've already said a few years ago they need to dump him while he has inflated value.

Smart franchises have already figured out he is a fraud and a regular season only player.

Even in RS he is good for only 40-60 games....
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,570

Post#3 » by MavsDirk41 » Fri May 3, 2024 3:58 am

No way Philly trades Embiid. He has constant injury issues and has yet to advance Philly in the playoffs but when healthy he is a top 5 player in the league.
famicommander
Sophomore
And1: 552

Post#4 » by famicommander » Fri May 3, 2024 3:58 am

Should've traded him last season.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,740

Post#5 » by Harry Garris » Fri May 3, 2024 3:59 am

It’s not going to happen, they’ll keep trying to compete with Embiid until the wheels fall off.
ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 999

Post#6 » by ScrantonBulls » Fri May 3, 2024 3:59 am

You don't trade a superstar like Embiid when you can compete. He's an absolute stud when healthy. Only way to justify it is if they think his health will completely fall apart in the future.
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 8,500

Post#7 » by BigShot Bojan » Fri May 3, 2024 4:00 am

I hope that piece of trash just retires
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
OriginalRed
Sixth Man
And1: 3,023

Post#8 » by OriginalRed » Fri May 3, 2024 4:00 am

It should be, but I can't imagine they're itching to trade him when he just won an MVP last season and was leading them to the top of the conference before his injuries.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,630

Post#9 » by EmpireFalls » Fri May 3, 2024 4:03 am

It’s the NBA you don’t trade a top 5 player who won MVP recently. When was the last time that happened?
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,446

Post#10 » by dygaction » Fri May 3, 2024 4:04 am

Woodsanity wrote:I've already said a few years ago they need to dump him while he has inflated value.

Smart franchises have already figured out he is a fraud and a regular season only player.

Wait until he is heading to NYK this summer.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#11 » by Marvin Martian » Fri May 3, 2024 4:04 am

ScrantonBulls wrote:You don't trade a superstar like Embiid when you can compete. He's an absolute stud when healthy. Only way to justify it is if they think his health will completely fall apart in the future.

Embiid will only decline from here. Maxey is still young. PHI has no assets to get quality players. It doesn't make sense for Embiid to stay in PHI anymore. It would be better to get some quality assets and reload around Maxey without losing playoff position.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,051

Post#12 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri May 3, 2024 4:05 am

finally free of the shackles of a horrible supporting cast and NOW you want to trade him? They're actually going to be able to add a star and can be discerning about what they surround this new Big Three with. Guys, these owners just want fans in the seats and for playoff runs so they can hopefully stay out of the luxury tax and sit back and watch their franchises rise in value year by year. You don't trade an MVP caliber Embiid in the middle of his prime when he's actively making you richer. I will say, if after they add a 3rd star and better supporting cast this season and a healthy Embiid fails to reach the Finals over the next couple of seasons THEN moving him enters the discussion but certainly not now. He would be at the tale end of his prime and still an elite player with several more elite seasons in him. His value would obviously be lower but that's okay at that point. You exhausted your resources and that's when it would be the prudent direction to go in.

Now, if he demands a trade that's another thing entirely.
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,924

Post#13 » by TravisScott55 » Fri May 3, 2024 4:05 am

They should sign Jimmy Butler
JimmyFromNz
Pro Prospect
And1: 900

Post#14 » by JimmyFromNz » Fri May 3, 2024 4:06 am

Any team would kill to have Embiid. It's flat out ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

If you're Joel you're giving the offseason some thought.
If you're Philly you know there are very few better alternate worlds out there.

Run it back, sign Maxey long term and take the chance to finally have a clean slate roster to fill around these two guys without the overpaid role player drift wood they currently have. Of course health will always be a consideration, but you take the chance and roll with it when its an MVP calibre player.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,951

Post#15 » by JasonStern » Fri May 3, 2024 4:07 am

EmpireFalls wrote:It’s the NBA you don’t trade a top 5 player who won MVP recently. When was the last time that happened?

Technically LeBron was traded to the Heat, but we all know he was a UFA and out anyway.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,419

Post#16 » by PushDaRock » Fri May 3, 2024 4:07 am

Woodsanity wrote:I've already said a few years ago they need to dump him while he has inflated value.

He was clearly playing hurt and he still averaged 33 ppg this series. I mean pretty hard to put this on him.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,122

Post#17 » by Potential » Fri May 3, 2024 4:09 am

Nah they'll be fine. They still need to add another star to that starting lineup after losing Harden. They have solid role players but they just need to add that 1 more guy to the starting lineup like a Paul George or Mitchell.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,554

Post#18 » by eyeatoma » Fri May 3, 2024 4:10 am

Dude had over 30 and 10 in a close out game. GB is this the end of the Embiid era, while ignoring that Sixers' 40 million dollar man had 0 points.
LaLover11
Bench Warmer
And1: 817

Post#19 » by LaLover11 » Fri May 3, 2024 4:10 am

Unfortunately I think it's time

The process has officially broken apart

Sixers need to get a #2 and #3 option for Joel
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,630

Post#20 » by EmpireFalls » Fri May 3, 2024 4:11 am

JasonStern wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:It’s the NBA you don’t trade a top 5 player who won MVP recently. When was the last time that happened?

Technically LeBron was traded to the Heat, but we all know he was a UFA and out anyway.

Yeah I guess being technical Durant was “sign and traded” to the Nets for DLo as well. But you know what I mean. Trading a player whose contract isn’t expired etc.

I suppose you could say Russ in 2019 but that was two years removed and Russ was also pretty eager to get out of OKC iirc. It basically never happens unless the star is either washed (multiple years removed from his MVP) or is clearly asking out because the team isn’t good enough (Shaq, KG, etc)

Return to The General Board