Is this the end of the Embiid Era in PHI?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,909

Re: Is this the end of the Embiid Era in PHI? 

Post#121 » by tsherkin » Fri May 3, 2024 10:48 pm

eyeatoma wrote:I don't think he takes no blame. He was turnover prone, was clumsy, and seemed to only make a difference defensively, which I would attribute mainly to his poor conditioning.

I think both health and conditioning played a part, but it wasn't just 4th quarters where he was looking rough, you know?

But at some point, it'll become just harping on it because indeed, he was not the only issue.

I'd also say, that he bucked the trend of poor playoff performances when compared to previous years.

I definitely wouldn't say that, though. 52.9% FG to 44.4%. 55.6% 2FG to 48.9%. 13/39 from 3. 64.4% TS to 59.2%, propped up particularly by the big game. He was, for the record, at 53.2% TS in the other games. Which is about 5% below RS league average or about 3% below playoff league average. And that's WITH his performance in the last game.

Food for thought.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,863

Post#122 » by Pointgod » Fri May 3, 2024 11:00 pm

TravisScott55 wrote:They should sign Jimmy Butler

Tobias Harris over me?!!!!
Knicks Byke
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,458

Post#123 » by Knicks Byke » Fri May 3, 2024 11:00 pm

he needs to be in better shape moving forward.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,612

Post#124 » by eyeatoma » Fri May 3, 2024 11:31 pm

tsherkin wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:I don't think he takes no blame. He was turnover prone, was clumsy, and seemed to only make a difference defensively, which I would attribute mainly to his poor conditioning.

I think both health and conditioning played a part, but it wasn't just 4th quarters where he was looking rough, you know?

But at some point, it'll become just harping on it because indeed, he was not the only issue.

I'd also say, that he bucked the trend of poor playoff performances when compared to previous years.

I definitely wouldn't say that, though. 52.9% FG to 44.4%. 55.6% 2FG to 48.9%. 13/39 from 3. 64.4% TS to 59.2%, propped up particularly by the big game. He was, for the record, at 53.2% TS in the other games. Which is about 5% below RS league average or about 3% below playoff league average. And that's WITH his performance in the last game.

Food for thought.

For sure, lots of room for improvement, but the glass half full view to this would be it was major growth on previous post seasons, and the glimmer of hope is that if he can be healthy for once, he'd be able to unleash his full self on the opponent.

At no point did he ever have a 50 point game, that was one of the best playoff performances of the last few years. Closing a game going for 39 points is also nothing to shrug your shoulders at. FG%, turnovers, poor 4th quarters are all areas he needs to improve on. I'd say he has that in him given that in the last 3 regulars seasons he was right up their in clutch scoring and was one of the most clutch players in the league. Didn't do it much this season because the Sixers were so dominant with him on the court.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,506

Post#125 » by Funcrusher » Fri May 3, 2024 11:31 pm

No
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
LaLover11
Bench Warmer
And1: 906

Post#126 » by LaLover11 » Fri May 3, 2024 11:32 pm

Trade Joel for Simmons :)
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,626

Post#127 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri May 3, 2024 11:51 pm

famicommander wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
famicommander wrote:
Did he or did he not say they should be up 2-0 and were going to win the series?
Did he or did he not shoot 23% from the field and average 0.8 rebounds per in the 4th quarter this series?
Is he or is he not presently leading the entire playoffs in turnovers?
Did he or did he not have a paralyzed face and was essentially playing on one leg barely at 50%

Did he or did not after being down 2-0 drop 50 inspite of that?

You know that bells pallsy can cause blurry vision right? You might need your eyes and depth perception to avoid turnovers.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

When you step onto the court you leave your excuses is the locker room and live with the results forever.

He's been badly hurt in all 10 of his pro seasons and his only college season. We can't wait until some mythical healthy version of him magically appears before we start criticizing his play. He's over 30 years old for crying out loud.

He's a choker. Just accept it.

Yeah ok....How many times have stepped anywhere on the court? Or anywhere outside the four walls of you bedroom or your cell phone for that matter? People like you who talk this kind of nonsense on the internet are the same guys getting washed up in a Dunkin Donuts parking lot for talking trash to the wrong person. Nobody is making excuses for Embiid. you're pushing an agenda simply because you're a hater.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#128 » by tsherkin » Sat May 4, 2024 12:16 am

eyeatoma wrote:For sure, lots of room for improvement, but the glass half full view to this would be it was major growth on previous post seasons, and the glimmer of hope is that if he can be healthy for once, he'd be able to unleash his full self on the opponent.

We've seen successful postseasons from him before. I think he struggles with stamina and specific types of defenders. But yes, he did have two large scoring outbursts and his defense was quite good. It's something positive to take away.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#129 » by tsherkin » Sat May 4, 2024 12:17 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
famicommander wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:Did he or did he not have a paralyzed face and was essentially playing on one leg barely at 50%

You know that bells pallsy can cause blurry vision right? You might need your eyes and depth perception to avoid turnovers.

When you step onto the court you leave your excuses is the locker room and live with the results forever.

He's been badly hurt in all 10 of his pro seasons and his only college season. We can't wait until some mythical healthy version of him magically appears before we start criticizing his play. He's over 30 years old for crying out loud.

Yeah ok....How many times have stepped anywhere on the court? Or anywhere outside the four walls of you bedroom or your cell phone for that matter? People like you who talk this kind of nonsense on the internet are the same guys getting washed up in a Dunkin Donuts parking lot for talking trash to the wrong person. Nobody is making excuses for Embiid. you're pushing an agenda simply because you're a hater.

Just let it be, man. Not worth becoming the bad guy when he pushes you into something you'll catch a warning for.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#130 » by Roger Murdock » Sat May 4, 2024 12:40 am

eyeatoma wrote:
famicommander wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:Did he or did he not have a paralyzed face and was essentially playing on one leg barely at 50%

You are the opposite of a choker when you drop 50, 39 and a triple double in the series. He averaged over 30 10 and 1.5 bpg on neae 60% true shooting.

Lot to blame for the series loss. Embiid is not on the list.

Just admit you don't like him. It's okay to feel that way rather than making statements like this.

As someone who's bashed Embiid a lot for his playoff short comings I think this was his best series hes had as a pro and was overall pretty great except in the 4Q - he needs to fix his conditioning badly.

He was obviously pretty hobbled still but made his presence felt on D and scored well.

Needs to get healthy, fix his conditioning, and process faster and anticipate where the mans coming from so he doesnt turn it over so much.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#131 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 12:41 am

Roger Murdock wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
famicommander wrote:When you step onto the court you leave your excuses is the locker room and live with the results forever.

You are the opposite of a choker when you drop 50, 39 and a triple double in the series. He averaged over 30 10 and 1.5 bpg on neae 60% true shooting.

Just admit you don't like him. It's okay to feel that way rather than making statements like this.

As someone who's bashed Embiid a lot for his playoff short comings I think this was his best series hes had as a pro and was overall pretty great except in the 4Q - he needs to fix his conditioning badly.

He was obviously pretty hobbled still but made his presence felt on D and scored well.

Needs to get healthy, fix his conditioning, and process faster and anticipate where the mans coming from so he doesnt turn it over so much.

Oh how I wish he was at his Kansas weight. Dude was a gazelle in the open court and had great hops too. Insane athleticism at that weight.
Roger Murdock
RealGM

Post#132 » by Roger Murdock » Sat May 4, 2024 12:43 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:You are the opposite of a choker when you drop 50, 39 and a triple double in the series. He averaged over 30 10 and 1.5 bpg on neae 60% true shooting.

Oh how I wish he was at his Kansas weight. Dude was a gazelle in the open court and had great hops too. Insane athleticism at that weight.

As a Cavs fan who owed the #1 pick in the draft that year, Embiids injury pre-draft was one of my most depressing moments as a Cavs fan.

I watched a lot of Kansas that year (for Wiggins originally) and went from thinking 'that big man is interesting' to 'wow every other week he's improving exponentially' to 'can he be better than Anthony Davis?'
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#133 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 1:03 am

Roger Murdock wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:

As a Cavs fan who owed the #1 pick in the draft that year, Embiids injury pre-draft was one of my most depressing moments as a Cavs fan.

I watched a lot of Kansas that year (for Wiggins originally) and went from thinking 'that big man is interesting' to 'wow every other week he's improving exponentially' to 'can he be better than Anthony Davis?'

Craziest think is how he exceeded those expectations in the regular season. No one dreamed he would be scoring the way he did. IMO he would be a perennial DPOY on a Gobert/Ben Wallace level if he maintained that weight.

I definitely can feel your pain, although I'd think LeBron would have had him traded right? Do you think he would have still traded him if he wasn't hurt?
Roger Murdock
RealGM

Post#134 » by Roger Murdock » Sat May 4, 2024 1:07 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Craziest think is how he exceeded those expectations in the regular season. No one dreamed he would be scoring the way he did. IMO he would be a perennial DPOY on a Gobert/Ben Wallace level if he maintained that weight.

I definitely can feel your pain, although I'd think LeBron would have had him traded right? Do you think he would have still traded him if he wasn't hurt?

At the end of the day it didnt matter, but pre-draft I wasn't expecting LeBron to come and liked the idea of a Irving/Waiters/xxx/Thompson/Embiid lineup.

Once LeBron signed it was meaningless. We would have traded him. We won a title and made the finals twice before Embiid played a single game. What a weird career hes had

Return to The General Board