Tobias Harris’s lack of criticism

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,604

Re: Tobias Harris’s lack of criticism 

Post#61 » by Myth » Fri May 3, 2024 3:02 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:Genuinely astounding.

39 mil, 0 points in 26 minutes in a must win game.

I know he’ll be gone from Philly end of season but man I’ve never seen a dude escape criticism like this guy.

Every playoffs he’s just out there doing cardio.

Yeah, instead the focus has been on Maxey’s play and whether Embiid is able to carry a team or not despite being clearly hobbled. But put Harris in LA and he becomes the scape goat.
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,876

Post#62 » by DirtybirdGA » Fri May 3, 2024 3:21 pm

A Sixer fan kept calling him out on my feed, but in general I didn't hear much of the masses calling him out.
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
Ritzo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,348

Post#63 » by Ritzo » Fri May 3, 2024 3:24 pm

I mean, there are guys like Bradley Beal too, and he's getting paid more.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,804

Post#64 » by ConSarnit » Fri May 3, 2024 3:25 pm

jordanwilliams6 wrote:He obviously played poorly this series but his playoff performances have always exactly matched his regular season stats. People shouldn't expect more from him than what he's always produced.

The issue is always his contract. He's an okay 3rd option type that should be getting $25 million a year. I'm not going to begrudge someone because they signed the contract that they were offered.

He averaged 9ppg on 51 TS%. And he’s a guy whose main value is scoring. Maybe it’s just me but if I were a Sixers fan I’d have expected just a tiny bit more.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,804

Post#65 » by ConSarnit » Fri May 3, 2024 3:29 pm

Myth wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:Genuinely astounding.

39 mil, 0 points in 26 minutes in a must win game.

I know he’ll be gone from Philly end of season but man I’ve never seen a dude escape criticism like this guy.

Every playoffs he’s just out there doing cardio.

Yeah, instead the focus has been on Maxey’s play and whether Embiid is able to carry a team or not despite being clearly hobbled. But put Harris in LA and he becomes the scape goat.

I don’t think the losses 100% boil down to Harris play… That being said, 2 of the Sixers losses were by 3 points. If the guy plays anywhere close to his regular season play that’s probably enough to swing 1 of those loses. The guy was a disaster.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,305

Post#66 » by ItsDanger » Fri May 3, 2024 3:31 pm

Tradeable contracts, salary ballast, fair deals, etc. It's all BS to mask failures.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
AbeVigodaLive
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,491

Post#67 » by AbeVigodaLive » Fri May 3, 2024 3:31 pm

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:Obvious hindsight (and seemed obvious at the time) is they should have kept Butler over him.

I will say he was a very decent player (not max worthy) who constantly had to sacrifice for the team or scheme.

It’ll be interesting next year when he’s elsewhere to see how much he has left as I personally suspect he’s been cashing his pay cheque and mentally checked out from Philly after years of abuse. We’ll find out I guess, but I imagine the feelings will be mutual when they part ways.

Is there any Nicolas Batum correlation here?

At his current salary, he's not worth it. But what if he's on a contract that pays only 1/3 of his current one? Or maybe more likely... 1/2?

Will be interesting to see what teams will offer.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#68 » by sp6r=underrated » Fri May 3, 2024 3:33 pm

JDR720 wrote:He's the most generic, average NBA SF there is. The only thing he's good at is stealing money.

He's a symbol of how stupid the NBA's CBA is. The owners and median vets reached a compromise in the 99/12 lockouts. The owners would get a greater percentage of revenue. The median vet would get rookie scale contracts and max contracts. The benefit to the former is obvious. the later is a win for the median vet because most of em know they're replaceable. For most of his career, Lebron should have gotten 60-70% of his teams cap space.

The rookie scale/max contracts make the NBA way worse. They incentivize multi-year tanks and terrible contracts. Just a horrible document for basketball fans.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,218

Post#69 » by kenwood3333 » Fri May 3, 2024 3:36 pm

He was playing decent when Embiid was injuried. Why can't he play at an average level with Embiid? Was this a case of coach unable to get the most out of him?
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,019

Post#70 » by Dark Faze » Fri May 3, 2024 3:36 pm

Letting dude go is going to be like passing a kidney stone.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,224

Post#71 » by dolphinatik » Fri May 3, 2024 3:37 pm

Meh so many players have been disappointing is hard to call out Harris. I don't think ppl game plan for Harris went should they
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,428

Post#72 » by sol537 » Fri May 3, 2024 3:37 pm

Tobias will get an offer from Detroit, Utah or Charlotte for MLE or above it and he'll take that 3-4 year deal and run.
sjballer03
Rookie
And1: 1,088

Post#73 » by sjballer03 » Fri May 3, 2024 3:51 pm

Tobias Harris has been lucky that there's always another Philly player (embiid, harden, Simmons, etc) that people are focused on.
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,348

Post#74 » by Godymas » Fri May 3, 2024 3:55 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Godymas wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Sixers' fans definitely blame him, but it's also true that they signed him to be their 3rd/4th scorer and they could've overcome him being a bad contract. He was never going to be their second primary creator star, and there was just one too many blunders or bad luck outcomes trying to find that guy. Simmons going stud to dud, letting Butler walk, giving up prime assets for the right to draft Fultz over Tatum/Fox, trading Mikal Bridges for Zhaire Smith, getting Harden a year or two too late, pissing away like 8 1st rounders in those and other moves.

If any of those moves went the right way, Harris and his $ would be just another footnote in the story. Most good teams have some not good contracts on them, and most legit contenders tend to flip those guys around over time as they tinker with rosters. Sixers never got to that status.

there are bad contracts on recent championship teams, but the basketball fit always made sense for the slight overpay. MPJ with Denver, Klay with the Warriors, I don't believe that the 2021 Bucks had any horrible contracts. The Lakers overpaid Danny Green, the Raptors maybe Kyle Lowry, nothing for the dynasty Warriors really, nothing for the Cavs, most championship teams might have one bad contract but you can always look at a redeeming aspect of their bad contract.

What is the redeeming part of the Tobias Harris contract? His basketball fit is just average at best, his skillset isn't something that can't be replaced with role players that rise to the occasion. He wasn't even better than Nic Batum

Think you missed the intention there. If the Sixers kept Butler or took Tatum or Simmons developed as most thought he would, Harris is probably either fine as a 5th starter or could've been moved as the team tinkered around their contending core. Harris hurt flexibility some but he was always tradeable--especially earlier in the deal--and the things that held them back form being contenders weren't really him/his deal but rather than other moves. I'm not even concerned here with what Harris contributd this year cuz the Sixers obviously were one core piece short of being real contenders.

Also I was talking about 'contenders' and not title winners--yeah lots of times title winners are going to get solid to great performances out of most of their key roster guys that year, hitting on the margins is often how they win titles over other legit contenders. But again a guy/contract like Harris doesn't sink teams that have the right core. Before 2021 the Bucks had a ton of overpaid salary in guys like G Hill or Mirotic or Bledsoe and could still get to their Giannis-Middleton-Jrue title core, G State obviously had a one-off miracle season from bad-cotnract Wiggins plus great timing on Poole to surround Curry-Klay-Draymond, MIA last year had big-money Lowry that didn't sink Butler-Bam et al (and in 2020 guys like Dragic, Iggy, Olynyk etc).

if the Sixers kept Butler they wouldn’t be able to have Tobias would they?

Harris was always tradeable, but the FO never believed they’d get superior value back for him..otherwise they would have traded him. By the time they realized what Tobias was for them, it was too late.

You’re missing the point, overpays are fine if the player redeems themselves. Jar Crowder was an overpay but he was essential for the cohesion in PHX. What is Tobias’ justification for an overpay? Paying $40 million for a locker room guy is a bad deal no matter what.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,927

Post#75 » by basketballRob » Fri May 3, 2024 4:02 pm

sol537 wrote:Tobias will get an offer from Detroit, Utah or Charlotte for MLE or above it and he'll take that 3-4 year deal and run.
Detroit will probably give him $30m a year. Tobias has been the luckiest player in the league in getting contracts and in my opinion doesn’t contribute enough to winning. He's a tweener. He isn't fast enough to guard SFs and isn't big enough to guard PFs. His offense isn't enough to offset his defense.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,994

Post#76 » by Nuntius » Fri May 3, 2024 5:15 pm

Flash4thewin wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:Here's hoping Detroit doesn't do the unthinkable. Save that money for someone who's good.

Detroit is like hold my beer.

A Criminal Minds gif? Nice!
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 39,070

Post#77 » by PierceFan4ever » Fri May 3, 2024 5:16 pm

He’s received enough criticism over the years that people are just used to his poor play with little to no expectations.
tcheco
Sixth Man
And1: 1,197

Post#78 » by tcheco » Fri May 3, 2024 5:24 pm

I was really surprised when someone said he had 0 points. not because of the 0 points, but I was sure he wasn't in the game at all.

I'm not even joking... he is not a part of the team offense, not sure if that's Nurse's doing or not, but it's amazing how well he was hidden all game
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,520

Post#79 » by gavran » Fri May 3, 2024 5:40 pm

It's not lack of criticism, it is lack or relevance.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,450

Post#80 » by dygaction » Fri May 3, 2024 5:41 pm

He will still get more than MLE this summer

Return to The General Board