Year in… sliding door of keeping Dame or what happened

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,041

Year in… sliding door of keeping Dame or what happened 

Post#1 » by DusterBuster » Fri May 3, 2024 7:27 am

Seeing how the Bucks season went, curious to hear fans heres thoughts.

Would you have rather seen Dame retire a Blazer or was ripping the bandaid off the best even if the team is in for a long road of a rebuild like they look like?

Seeing Dame on a dysfunctional Bucks team brings no real joy, wanted him to get his ring. Would have rather seen him just finished his career in Portland ushering in a new era vs waste his time with the likes of Doc Rivers and Pat Bev…

Just a weird mix of emotions this season seeing the Blazers piss away a season with nothing to show for it, and arguably the Bucks doing the same. Bucks got 30-40 more wins in the regular season, and only 1 more win than the Blazers in the post season…. Blazer season was a boring slog that went nowhere, but at least it wasn’t a drama filled **** that went nowhere…

Anyone else with me that this year was just… weird
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Hatrick Ewing
Junior
And1: 464

Re: Year in… sliding door of keeping Dame or what happened 

Post#2 » by Hatrick Ewing » Fri May 3, 2024 7:29 am

DusterBuster wrote:Seeing how the Bucks season went, curious to hear fans heres thoughts.

Would you have rather seen Dame retire a Blazer or was ripping the bandaid off the best even if the team is in for a long road of a rebuild like they look like?

Seeing Dame on a dysfunctional Bucks team brings no real joy, wanted him to get his ring. Would have rather seen him just finished his career in Portland ushering in a new era vs waste his time with the likes of Doc Rivers and Pat Bev…

Just a weird mix of emotions this season seeing the Blazers piss away a season with nothing to show for it, and arguably the Bucks doing the same. Bucks got 30-40 more wins in the regular season, and only 1 more win than the Blazers in the post season…. Blazer season was a boring slog that went nowhere, but at least it wasn’t a drama filled **** that went nowhere…

I don't think the prognosis of the Milwaukee situation is great as of now, but Giannis did get hurt and if he didn't they're still one of the best teams in the east. Shame it happened as Lillard is older now so each season is valuable.

Side note, if a mod sees this, is there any way to gain access to the "new post" feature for my account?
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#3 » by DusterBuster » Fri May 3, 2024 7:50 am

Hatrick Ewing wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:Seeing how the Bucks season went, curious to hear fans heres thoughts.

I don't think the prognosis of the Milwaukee situation is great as of now, but Giannis did get hurt and if he didn't they're still one of the best teams in the east. Shame it happened as Lillard is older now so each season is valuable.

Side note, if a mod sees this, is there any way to gain access to the "new post" feature for my account?

If they’re allllll fully healthy, I think they are a 6-7 game series with the Pacers. 50/50 shot to get to second round. They had moments of looking awesome, but also moments of looking **** lost even with the core all healthy and playing. That team never got anything close to being consistent and then coaching was a joke. Griffin was the wrong coach, inexperienced player coach for a veteran team was stupid (cough… BILLUPS) but to follow that up with Doc **** Rivers, legit the worst possible hire when you had Terry Stotts. Right. ****. There.

The blowup preseason with Griffin and Stotts and the Bucks siding with Griifin was a serious canary in the coal mine. Looked weird at the time, prophetic in hindsight

Can help with your side quest my dude.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,951

Post#4 » by JasonStern » Fri May 3, 2024 9:06 am

Healthy Giannis and Dame probably makes it to the 2nd round over an inexperienced, still figuring it out Pacers team. And with Randle out, maybe they could eek out a series win against the Knicks - more likely go up 3-1 and then lose the series. But then Boston would slaughter them in the ECF.

Still a huge Dame fan, but the publicly demanding a trade after signing a supermax extension thing isn't a good look. Karma is a bitch, and that bitch's name is Doc Rivers.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,426

Post#5 » by Statlanta » Fri May 3, 2024 9:39 am

It was for the best. Seeing Lillard on Portland would be a worse version of 2016 Kobe Bryant(in terms of media circus not production) especially with his off-court issues.

And Kobe Bryant was a more renowned/beloved player
Read on Twitter
Hatrick Ewing
Junior
And1: 464

Post#6 » by Hatrick Ewing » Fri May 3, 2024 10:08 am

DusterBuster wrote:
Hatrick Ewing wrote:

If they’re allllll fully healthy, I think they are a 6-7 game series with the Pacers. 50/50 shot to get to second round. They had moments of looking awesome, but also moments of looking **** lost even with the core all healthy and playing. That team never got anything close to being consistent and then coaching was a joke. Griffin was the wrong coach, inexperienced player coach for a veteran team was stupid (cough… BILLUPS) but to follow that up with Doc **** Rivers, legit the worst possible hire when you had Terry Stotts. Right. ****. There.

The blowup preseason with Griffin and Stotts and the Bucks siding with Griifin was a serious canary in the coal mine. Looked weird at the time, prophetic in hindsight

Can help with your side quest my dude.

Dont get the side quest comment lol, is that from dungeons and dragons or another cool game like that?

Terry Stotts....what? Lol. Maybe literally the most random name you could throw in there as the reason they were bad. Why not vouch for Scott Skiles while you're at it?
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 3,947

Post#7 » by hauntedcomputer » Fri May 3, 2024 10:24 am

A beloved gunner on a team going nowhere was his peak possible legacy.

Now he's going to do an embarrassing, disgruntled ring chase as the world learns his limitations.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,380

Post#8 » by chrisab123 » Fri May 3, 2024 10:44 am

hauntedcomputer wrote:A beloved gunner on a team going nowhere was his peak possible legacy.

Now he's going to do an embarrassing, disgruntled ring chase as the world learns his limitations.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. But he's going to get what he wants this offseason and get a trade to Miami. I don't know what this all means for Giannis, I could see him wanting out too within the next two years. Lakers Knicks Heat Warriors and Nets are all legitimate places.
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,198

Post#9 » by Iwasawitness » Fri May 3, 2024 10:48 am

Giannis missed the entire first round. This season will always have an asterisk next to it because of it. We can’t truly judge this properly until we see what they can do together when they’re actually… you know, playing together.

It’s rough for Bucks fans. It is what it is.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,198

Post#10 » by Iwasawitness » Fri May 3, 2024 10:49 am

chrisab123 wrote:
hauntedcomputer wrote:A beloved gunner on a team going nowhere was his peak possible legacy.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. But he's going to get what he wants this offseason and get a trade to Miami. I don't know what this all means for Giannis, I could see him wanting out too within the next two years. Lakers Knicks Heat Warriors and Nets are all legitimate places.

Why would Lillard want a trade to Miami? That’s the last thing he should be asking for right now.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,380

Post#11 » by chrisab123 » Fri May 3, 2024 10:54 am

Iwasawitness wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:

Why would Lillard want a trade to Miami? That’s the last thing he should be asking for right now.

Its what he asked for last year. I doubt things have changed on his end.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,907

Post#12 » by Chuck Everett » Fri May 3, 2024 11:47 am

His departure was better for Portland because the reality was he simply wasn't good enough to lead them to the top of the Western Conference, but he was good enough to keep them mid. So they ripped the bandaid off and they get to find multiple players who can help them elevate with hopefully a better balanced roster.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,999

Post#13 » by cl2117 » Fri May 3, 2024 1:05 pm

Everyone still made the right decision.

Ultimately Dame obviously wanted the chance to win a title in his final years, that wasn't going to happen with Portland. Giannis got injured this year which derailed everything, but he'll still be in a better opportunity to land a ring in Milwaukee next year than he would've been in Portland had he stayed.

Portland got a solid deal for Dame and leans fully into the rebuild. Best thing for them in the long run.

Milwaukee gets Giannis extended, that's the most important thing for them. If the Dame trade is what helped sealed the deal, it's always worth it.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#14 » by DusterBuster » Fri May 3, 2024 1:45 pm

Hatrick Ewing wrote:Terry Stotts....what? Lol. Maybe literally the most random name you could throw in there as the reason they were bad. Why not vouch for Scott Skiles while you're at it?

He was Dames coach in Portland for a decade. How is that random?
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,384

Post#15 » by durden_tyler » Fri May 3, 2024 1:47 pm

i have a feeling he just doesn’t want to play in Milwaukee and it’s affecting the overall chemistry of the team.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,890

Post#16 » by Richard Miller » Fri May 3, 2024 2:24 pm

Weird that they weren't better even when Giannis was healthy. On paper, that looked like perfect pairing
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,743

Post#17 » by Harry Garris » Fri May 3, 2024 2:41 pm

Richard Miller wrote:Weird that they weren't better even when Giannis was healthy. On paper, that looked like perfect pairing

It was, the Bucks were very good this season when Dame and Giannis were on the court together. But their bench was terrible and they hemorrhaged points whenever Giannis sat.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,605

Post#18 » by Myth » Fri May 3, 2024 3:14 pm

Definitely a what if season for the Bucks, but as a Blazers fan, the most important thing is that the Bucks are bad in the late 2020s when we get their picks/swaps. It would be cool if they have some success with Dame and then the wheels fall off, but a season like this probably is still better than an upward swing and something to build on for years.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,371

Post#19 » by Onus » Fri May 3, 2024 4:02 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:

Miami is probably a better place to be single recovering from a divorce.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#20 » by Flash4thewin » Fri May 3, 2024 5:04 pm

Onus wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:

Miami is probably a better place to be single recovering from a divorce.

So much for "Loyalty" :wink:

Return to The General Board