giannis let the team down

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,176

Re: giannis let the team down 

Post#21 » by druggas » Fri May 3, 2024 11:46 am

hauntedcomputer wrote:This wasn't a serious contender.
Dame for Jrue was a disaster.
Then you pack Doc into the clown car and the wheels come off.

This is the best post!
greekman
Senior
And1: 331

Post#22 » by greekman » Fri May 3, 2024 11:55 am

Los_29 wrote:
greekman wrote:
LordCovington33 wrote:Let’s say he tries to play through his calf injury and suffers an Achilles injury and misses all of next season. What then?

last year doncic could barely walk and he still played

Didn’t they tank last year? lol.

probably thinking of the year before that.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,589

Post#23 » by Myth » Fri May 3, 2024 11:56 am

It is so strange to me to assume his injury is no different than the injuries others played through. OP, assuming you like most here have played some amount of basketball, I assume you have rolled your ankles playing basketball multiple times. Was it the same for you every time? For me, sometimes I played through and it was fine. Other times the pain was high but the mobility was better than the pain level indicated. Sometimes the ankle ballooned up and lost all mobility. Saying it is just a calf strain and therefore he should be able to play through it is very ignorant to the varying degrees of severity of the injury.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,867

Post#24 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 3, 2024 12:05 pm

LaLover11 wrote:
kveble wrote:
greekman wrote:

Doncic playstyle is not affected by the injuries quite as much as Giannis. Giannis is Giannis because of his athletic ability. If he cannot drive and jump, he cannot play. Doncic is still an elite ball handler and playmaker.

That just means he needs to work on his game and stop only doing playing physical/athletic.

He should learn from Jokic and work from inside thru the Post and give Lillard dribble hand off screens and copy the Murray/Jokic game plan.

That's if he wants to win with this core

Giannis doesn't have Jokic's physical attributes to become that kind of player.
LaLover11
Bench Warmer
And1: 812

Post#25 » by LaLover11 » Fri May 3, 2024 12:07 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:
kveble wrote:
Doncic playstyle is not affected by the injuries quite as much as Giannis. Giannis is Giannis because of his athletic ability. If he cannot drive and jump, he cannot play. Doncic is still an elite ball handler and playmaker.

That just means he needs to work on his game and stop only doing playing physical/athletic.

He should learn from Jokic and work from inside thru the Post and give Lillard dribble hand off screens and copy the Murray/Jokic game plan.

They call him the modern shaq... Maybe it's time to leave his Magic Shaq era and become the Lakers Shaq Era Giannis

Less athletic and heavier to dominate in the Paint and focus on Passing out the post and avoid dunking/Stream rolling into the paint from the perimeter.

His body is only getting weaker the older he gets with all that athletic play.
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#26 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 3, 2024 12:08 pm

LaLover11 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:

They call him the modern shaq... Maybe it's time to leave his Magic Shaq era and become the Lakers Era Giannis

I think we can all agree, it would be best if no star ever went to LA again!
LaLover11
Bench Warmer

Post#27 » by LaLover11 » Fri May 3, 2024 12:10 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

They call him the modern shaq... Maybe it's time to leave his Magic Shaq era and become the Lakers Era Giannis

What are you talking about? I never said Giannis in L.A?
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#28 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 3, 2024 12:15 pm

LaLover11 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:

Oh you mean bulk up? Yeah...that's not the difference. Jokic is freaking strong with an insane core. He's got a lower center of gravity and ungodly dexterity and eye hand coordination among guys his size. Giannis is longer limbed and while he's more explosive and able to generate more movement force...that doesn't translate the same to Jokic's style. For all the "skill" talk with jokic. You can't learn to be Jokic. You have to be born with that ability and THEN you learn how to put it to use.

Maybe he can develop a post game...but he won't be remotely the same level player he is with his freak explosive play.
LaLover11
Bench Warmer

Post#29 » by LaLover11 » Fri May 3, 2024 12:18 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Oh you mean bulk up? Yeah...that's not the difference. Jokic is freaking strong with an insane core. He's got a lower center of gravity and ungodly dexterity and eye hand coordination among guys his size. Giannis is longer limbed and while he's more explosive and able to generate more movement force...that doesn't translate the same to Jokic's style. For all the "skill" talk with jokic. You can't learn to be Jokic. You have to be born with that ability and THEN you learn how to put it to use.

Maybe he can develop a post game...but he won't be remotely the same level player he is with his freak explosive play.

I'm not saying be Jokic but take a few tricks from his game and mix it in with his current style.

Yeah I know he won't be the same freak with athletic coast to coast dominate offense but slowing it down and posting up will keep him healthy a bit more vs taking a 4vs1 fastbreak through the whole season and playoffs

He needs to be Lillard's AD in the post if they want it to work next season. That doesn't mean defer the #1 option to Lillard but ask for the ball in the post and pick and roll like LeBron/AD play.

Hopefully he can get fully healthy for the next season
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,408

Post#30 » by boomershadow » Fri May 3, 2024 12:18 pm

It is true everyone salivated over the idea of Giannis/Lillard pick and roll then it didn't happen much.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,188

Post#31 » by theFireBlanket » Fri May 3, 2024 12:44 pm

Pretty sure that Giannis demanded and was denied playing games by the medical staff. Khris hinted in his postgame presser about "fighting with training staff to get back on the court". Something he's been through.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,689

Post#32 » by JayMKE » Fri May 3, 2024 12:49 pm

Giannis inverted his knee then came back and won finals MVP, he takes more wear & tear than anybody in the league the way he plays. Giannis was just more seriously hurt, that non-contact calf injury could be a pre-cursor to a way more devastating injury ala KD snapping his achilles in the finals.
FREE GIANNIS
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#33 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 3, 2024 12:57 pm

LaLover11 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:

I'm not saying be Jokic but take a few tricks from his game and mix it in with his current style.

Yeah I know he won't be the same freak with athletic coast to coast dominate offense but slowing it down and posting up will keep him healthy a bit more vs taking a 4vs1 fastbreak through the whole season and playoffs

He needs to be Lillard's AD in the post if they want it to work next season. That doesn't mean defer the #1 option to Lillard but ask for the ball in the post and pick and roll like LeBron/AD play.

Hopefully he can get fully healthy for the next season

I think what you're more thinking is he needs to become 96 MJ vs 88 MJ. I'm not sure what that would look like, but it wouldn't be AD or Jokic. It would be a different guy. I'm not sure what the old man Giannis could be though. The guy just doesn't have the touch with the ball..
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,363

Post#34 » by durden_tyler » Fri May 3, 2024 1:50 pm

It was a prudent decision for Giannis and the franchise. They looked at how Boston has dominated the conference and made the executive decision of giving up this year so no point in coming back early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 31,027

Post#35 » by Sofia » Fri May 3, 2024 2:49 pm

LordCovington33 wrote:Let’s say he tries to play through his calf injury and suffers an Achilles injury and misses all of next season. What then?

Then he better be ready for next playoffs!
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#36 » by Phystic » Fri May 3, 2024 2:51 pm

Isn't that exactly what happened to KD?
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,027

Post#37 » by NyKnicks1714 » Fri May 3, 2024 3:21 pm

Except he didn't
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,536

Post#38 » by zero rings » Fri May 3, 2024 3:45 pm

LaLover11 wrote:
kveble wrote:
greekman wrote:

This is like saying Dwight Howard should learn from Dirk and start making free throws.

Giannis is what he is at this point. Not everyone has the natural touch to play a finesse game.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,414

Post#39 » by itrsteve » Fri May 3, 2024 3:47 pm

This isn't shade against the Pacers by any means, but if they would have had to win b2b elimination games in the first round to stay alive then it's obvious that 2024 wasn't the year.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#40 » by LordCovington33 » Fri May 3, 2024 3:47 pm

Phystic wrote:

Isn't that exactly what happened to KD?

Yes

Return to The General Board