Where will Paul George sign next season?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

where will PG sign in 2024?

Poll runs till Wed Jul 3, 2024 1:43 pm

Orlando
11%
Philadelphia
28%
Clippers
52%
Other
8%

Total votes: 141

Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,611

Re: Where will Paul George sign next season? 

Post#21 » by Mak » Fri May 3, 2024 3:54 pm

Clippers can't afford to lose him and he likes LA... likely he will stay in LA. What if he goes 2 for 15 today and Clippers lose by 30? Probably still does not change the fact that Clippers can't afford to lose him going into the new building.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,895

Post#22 » by giberish » Fri May 3, 2024 3:56 pm

I'd still expect him to resign with the Clippers.

However, how badly is PG overpaid on a 4 year 35% max deal?? Especially as he'll be getting older and likely worse throughout the deal.
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,277

Post#23 » by tribulations » Fri May 3, 2024 3:59 pm

Respectfully, nobody leaving LA for Orlando
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,643

Post#24 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri May 3, 2024 4:21 pm

It’s a long shot, but wouldn’t rule out a return to Indiana.

It’s his only real chance to have any kind of legacy. Maybe he doesn’t care about that though.

When PG was a young player on a young team on the rise, the Pacers signed David West to be a leader and take that team to new heights. Stage is set perfectly for PG to be that for the Pacers.

He spent years taking subtle jabs at the Pacers and over the last year and a half he’s spoken glowingly about Indiana. His mindset has changed. Doesn’t mean he’ll come back, but I think it’s at least a thought for him.

Add PG to the current Pacers team and they become an actual threat to make some noise.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,818

Post#25 » by TinmanZBoy » Fri May 3, 2024 4:31 pm

If I were him,any team that is relatively healthy…
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,917

Post#26 » by basketballRob » Fri May 3, 2024 4:51 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:It’s a long shot, but wouldn’t rule out a return to Indiana.

It’s his only real chance to have any kind of legacy. Maybe he doesn’t care about that though.

When PG was a young player on a young team on the rise, the Pacers signed David West to be a leader and take that team to new heights. Stage is set perfectly for PG to be that for the Pacers.

He spent years taking subtle jabs at the Pacers and over the last year and a half he’s spoken glowingly about Indiana. His mindset has changed. Doesn’t mean he’ll come back, but I think it’s at least a thought for him.

Add PG to the current Pacers team and they become an actual threat to make some noise.
That's a possibility if Pascal signs with Philadelphia.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,161

Post#27 » by HMFFL » Fri May 3, 2024 5:00 pm

I doubt Paul George has any interest returning to OKC. People tend to always revert back to a players prior team and act as if they're the perfect fit.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,995

Post#28 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri May 3, 2024 5:07 pm

Clippers need to S&T him for a 1st round pick. He is using other teams to build leverage and clearly cares about staying in LA for his lifestyle, but from a basketball standpoint he doesn’t make sense and really hasn’t in 5 years. Hopefully Philly or Orlando gets him
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,837

Post#29 » by DowJones » Fri May 3, 2024 5:08 pm

LA. Maybe Philly or back to OKC, but LA makes the most sense.
BlueNGold
Sophomore
And1: 241

Post#30 » by BlueNGold » Fri May 3, 2024 5:09 pm

tribulations wrote:Respectfully, nobody leaving LA for Orlando

Off-topic, but I'd live in Orlando a million times before living in LA once.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,621

Post#31 » by KGtabake » Fri May 3, 2024 5:13 pm

He's not leaving.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,557

Post#32 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 3, 2024 5:21 pm

Harry Garris wrote:It really just depends on how much he wants to win. If he wants to win a title before he retires the answer is obvious - he can't re-sign in LA. There are a few suitors who would give him a better opportunity to do that.

If his priority is being in SoCal and chilling on the beach and he isn't overly concerned with winning - a lot of people are convinced that this is the case - then I'm sure he'll stay.

He's going to want as much as he can get. All of these older stars want as much as they can get for as long as they can get it and thry feel like it's on the team to make it work with them taking up huge chunks of the cap. There's usually a team like Philly that likely only has a couple-year window that is willing to role the dice or their existing team can't *lose them for nothing* because they're too far over the cap to replace them.

Now, if LBJ lands in Philly, the Clippers have Kahwai heartburn, and OKC spends its money on a big, a team like Orlando might get him for a little less than the max, but if they got too low, his agent will try to put together a S&T.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,709

Post#33 » by Texas Chuck » Fri May 3, 2024 5:24 pm

HMFFL wrote:I doubt Paul George has any interest returning to OKC. People tend to always revert back to a players prior team and act as if they're the perfect fit.

OKC is really good. Can clear the cap space. He fits good.

None of that has anything to do with him briefly playing for them.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,813

Post#34 » by Rafael122 » Fri May 3, 2024 5:28 pm

Kawhi's deal still got done despite the Clippers knowing his knee history. The fact that George's deal hasn't gotten done yet is a bit interesting. I would probably sign with Orlando.

With the FRP this year, they would have 10 guys signed under contract. I think they will decline Ingles' option and pick up Mo's. Assuming all cap holds are released, that leaves them with like $46 million-ish in cap room. That's enough for George's max, and with no state income tax, he ends up making more anyway. He doesn't have to carry the burden defensively, and it gives Orlando a scoring punch.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,521

Post#35 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri May 3, 2024 5:29 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
HMFFL wrote:I doubt Paul George has any interest returning to OKC. People tend to always revert back to a players prior team and act as if they're the perfect fit.

OKC is really good. Can clear the cap space. He fits good.

None of that has anything to do with him briefly playing for them.

But also he has nothing but good things to say abo it being in OKC. I would imagine that familiarity is helpful.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#36 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri May 3, 2024 5:30 pm

You guys think PG would be worth a 1st round pick if he picks up his player option for trade like Harden?

mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,539

Post#37 » by mademan » Fri May 3, 2024 5:36 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:You guys think PG would be worth a 1st round pick if he picks up his player option for trade like Harden?

He's 34 and will likely have multiple teams offering him a 4 year max. Risking that and playing for a contract next year would be dumb on his part. He's at that age where he can fall off at any minute
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#38 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri May 3, 2024 5:38 pm

mademan wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:You guys think PG would be worth a 1st round pick if he picks up his player option for trade like Harden?

He's 34 and will likely have multiple teams offering him a 4 year max. Risking that and playing for a contract next year would be dumb on his part. He's at that age where he can fall off at any minute

No I mean for a S&T scenario. He has a player option exactly like Harden did.

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,813

Post#39 » by Rafael122 » Fri May 3, 2024 5:41 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
mademan wrote:

No I mean for a S&T scenario. He has a player option exactly like Harden did.

He's going to want an extension regardless. If he picks up his player option and gets a 4 year extension on top of that, it would be a brilliant strategy. I don't know if that's allowed in the CBA though.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,740

Post#40 » by Harry Garris » Fri May 3, 2024 6:30 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:It really just depends on how much he wants to win. If he wants to win a title before he retires the answer is obvious - he can't re-sign in LA. There are a few suitors who would give him a better opportunity to do that.

If his priority is being in SoCal and chilling on the beach and he isn't overly concerned with winning - a lot of people are convinced that this is the case - then I'm sure he'll stay.

He's going to want as much as he can get. All of these older stars want as much as they can get for as long as they can get it and thry feel like it's on the team to make it work with them taking up huge chunks of the cap. There's usually a team like Philly that likely only has a couple-year window that is willing to role the dice or their existing team can't *lose them for nothing* because they're too far over the cap to replace them.

Now, if LBJ lands in Philly, the Clippers have Kahwai heartburn, and OKC spends its money on a big, a team like Orlando might get him for a little less than the max, but if they got too low, his agent will try to put together a S&T.

You're probably right, and this mindset continues to puzzle me to no end. Who cares about an extra few million bucks when the opportunity to win an NBA championship is on the table?

Return to The General Board