Where will Paul George sign next season?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

where will PG sign in 2024?

Poll runs till Wed Jul 3, 2024 1:43 pm

Orlando
11%
Philadelphia
28%
Clippers
52%
Other
8%

Total votes: 141

picc
RealGM
And1: 18,186

Re: Where will Paul George sign next season? 

Post#61 » by picc » Fri May 3, 2024 7:46 pm

If I'm him I go to Orlando or Indiana or OKC.

If Dallas could shed some salary or do a S&T he'd make them the favorites in the league.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,556

Post#62 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 3, 2024 7:46 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
giberish wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:
You're probably right, and this mindset continues to puzzle me to no end. Who cares about an extra few million bucks when the opportunity to win an NBA championship is on the table?

I think it's' often about ego as much or more than the money. Are you in the max player club with the real stars, or are you just a guy?

Ok, maybe. But then the instant you retire no one gives a rat's ass about how much your annual salary was and the only thing casual fans care about is whether you won a championship or not.

Yeah, but you still have the money (and so does the agent).
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,839

Post#63 » by madmaxmedia » Fri May 3, 2024 8:41 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Sign-and-Trades. Teams are prohibited from signing a free agent pursuant to an agreement that
the player will later be traded to another team unless the free agent being signed is the team’s own
free agent. In addition, these “sign-and-trades” are permitted only if (i) the contract is for three or
four years, (ii) the first year of the contract is fully guaranteed, (iii) the contract is entered into
prior to the first day of the regular season, and (iv) the player finished the prior season on the
signing team’s roster. The maximum annual salary increase for a sign-and-trade is 5% of the
salary in the first year of the contract. A team may only acquire a free agent via a sign-and-trade if
the team’s Team Salary post-transaction and at all times thereafter during that Salary Cap Year
does not exceed the Tax Level for the then current Salary Cap Year plus the Tax Apron Amount
(see Section I.F.(3)(e) above).

The first NBA luxury tax apron is $7 million above the luxury tax level, and the second apron is $17.5 million above the tax. For 2023-24, the salary cap is $136 million and the tax level is $165.294 million. So to be above the second apron, a team's payroll this season would have to be over $182 million.

Who knows? I'm not an NBA tax expert. :D

I'm not either, but the consensus on the Clipper board was that we couldn't do a sign-and-trade on a new contract, but could if he were to opt into his last year (super unlikely.)

I think he would pick up his PO personally. He wants to remain in LA at all costs. It’s not about basketball. It’s about him wanting the lifestyle, the podcast stuff, the LA connection.

I think he's declining his PO now because he'll get a better next deal now than next season a year older. I agree he wants to stay in LA, but declining his PO will then facilitate his next contract to do that (or somewhere else if it came to that.)
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,521

Post#64 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 3, 2024 9:05 pm

picc wrote:If I'm him I go to Orlando or Indiana or OKC.

If Dallas could shed some salary or do a S&T he'd make them the favorites in the league.

He would be useless in Dallas Luka and Kyrie run that offense. PG would just be a spot up shooter playing with those guys.

Go to Orlando that's the best situation considering his age and the weaker conference.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,740

Post#65 » by Harry Garris » Fri May 3, 2024 9:16 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:
giberish wrote:
I think it's' often about ego as much or more than the money. Are you in the max player club with the real stars, or are you just a guy?

Ok, maybe. But then the instant you retire no one gives a rat's ass about how much your annual salary was and the only thing casual fans care about is whether you won a championship or not.

Yeah, but you still have the money (and so does the agent).

Congrats, I guess. You can’t take it with you.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,409

Post#66 » by ChipotleWest » Fri May 3, 2024 9:22 pm

If his #1 priority is collecting dem checks and not winning, it's the Clippers.

So, the answer is the Clippers.
"The best ability is availability"

Not if the player sucks a**.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,643

Post#67 » by brackdan70 » Fri May 3, 2024 9:24 pm

BlueNGold wrote:
tribulations wrote:Respectfully, nobody leaving LA for Orlando

Off-topic, but I'd live in Orlando a million times before living in LA once.

Just curious why? The only advantage I see is taxes, which yeah that’s huge for some people.
I can’t stand the wet heat so maybe that’s just me.
I haven’t lived in either place, just visited.
Sign here
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#68 » by ChipotleWest » Fri May 3, 2024 9:28 pm

picc wrote:If I'm him I go to Orlando or Indiana or OKC.

Impossible, Mavs are almost at the 2nd apron of salary cap meaning they're like 50 million over the cap. So even if they shed 50 million in players with no players in return which rarely ever happens they'd have 0 cap space.

jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,557

Post#69 » by jkvonny » Fri May 3, 2024 9:40 pm

He grew up in the LA, California area. Played college ball at Fresno State.

He's an LA/Steve Ballmer kinda guy.
Most likely stays with the Clips.

Or possibly return to his former teams (Indiana Pacers/OKC Thunder) somewhere down the line.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#70 » by ChipotleWest » Fri May 3, 2024 9:58 pm

jkvonny wrote:He grew up in the LA, California area. Played college ball at Fresno State.

Or possibly return to his former teams (Indiana Pacers/OKC Thunder) somewhere down the line.

Thunder will have the cap space to sign him, so will Philly. Those are about the only two good teams with cap space.

I heard something that his mom is in a wheelchair and can't travel he probably wouldn't want to leave L.A. on top of the fact that practically no player leaves L.A. I think he's going to be a Clipper.

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,917

Post#71 » by basketballRob » Fri May 3, 2024 10:17 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
jkvonny wrote:He grew up in the LA, California area. Played college ball at Fresno State.

Thunder will have the cap space to sign him, so will Philly. Those are about the only two good teams with cap space.

I heard something that his mom is in a wheelchair and can't travel he probably wouldn't want to leave L.A. on top of the fact that practically no player leaves L.A. I think he's going to be a Clipper.
OKC doesn't, and you forgot about the Magic. Paul George says on his podcast that he loves Orlando.

Read on Twitter
?t=yvclAo2ILqGZIcSy7H_AEQ&s=19
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#72 » by ChipotleWest » Fri May 3, 2024 10:21 pm

basketballRob wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

OKC doesn't, and you forgot about the Magic. Paul George says on his podcast that he loves Orlando.

Read on Twitter

Thunder have about 35 million already after releasing cap holds, would need to shed more salary if he wants the max.

Either way with his mother being in a wheelchair and can't travel, I don't see him leaving the Clippers.

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,917

Post#73 » by basketballRob » Fri May 3, 2024 10:28 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

Read on Twitter

Thunder have about 35 million already after releasing cap holds, would need to shed more salary if he wants the max.
The Magic can clear $49m while keeping Isaac, Suggs, Moe Wagner, Franz, Banchero, Cole Anthony, Black, Jett, and Wendell. $49m is the max he can get for a veteran 10 year player.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,601

Post#74 » by Devilanche » Sat May 4, 2024 3:54 am

JustBuzzin wrote:Even Charlotte would be a better option than the Clippers.

Melo/Miller/PG/Grant/Mark and a top 5 pick on the way. That team could be a sleeper in the East.

No not really. Melo probably about as healthy as Kawhi in the playoff.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 999

Post#75 » by ScrantonBulls » Sat May 4, 2024 4:07 am

I think he likely wants to stay in LA. Balmer will pay up. If he wants to win, Philly. He's a great fit there.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,051

Post#76 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat May 4, 2024 4:10 am

I think he's desperate for a ring and it's not happening with Kawhi in LA. I know it sounds counterintuitive given Embiid's track record but going there and joining Embiid and Maxey give the Sixers arguably the best Big Three in the NBA. And since it's a weaker Conference he would get a much easier road to a ring than staying in the West.
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran
And1: 2,457

Post#77 » by WestbrookGOATed » Sat May 4, 2024 4:20 am

He'd be a great fit with Philly but I see him staying home in LA.
Hook_Em
Rookie
And1: 757

Post#78 » by Hook_Em » Sat May 4, 2024 4:24 am

Playing with Kawhi has to wear on you not only because he’s the least dependable star player but he’s a huge drag for morale. He’s an emotional anchor.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,999

Post#79 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat May 4, 2024 4:31 am

If Paul George has any sense he will run away from the Clippers.

How can he want to keep playing with Kawhi? Whos literally been hurt for 4 years in a row?

Just sign with Philly. Embiid/Maxey/George probably wins the East. And he can get credit for being the missing piece.

Orlando is not there yet. Need more time.
doogie_hauser
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,322

Post#80 » by doogie_hauser » Sat May 4, 2024 4:37 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:If Paul George has any sense he will run away from the Clippers.

How can he want to keep playing with Kawhi? Whos literally been hurt for 4 years in a row?

Just sign with Philly. Embiid/Maxey/George probably wins the East. And he can get credit for being the missing piece.

Orlando is not there yet. Need more time.

Why not The Knicks ?

I think the challenge and legacy of possibly winning a chip there is very enticing.

I feel Maxey's growth means Philly need a taller two way wing type of player.

Brunson and PG could be a very fluid and dangerous backcourt.
Randle coming back healthy next season and they definitely have a roster that can challenge Boston in the East.

Return to The General Board