Where will Paul George sign next season?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

where will PG sign in 2024?

Poll runs till Wed Jul 3, 2024 1:43 pm

Orlando
11%
Philadelphia
28%
Clippers
52%
Other
8%

Total votes: 141

giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,895

Re: Where will Paul George sign next season? 

Post#41 » by giberish » Fri May 3, 2024 6:55 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:It really just depends on how much he wants to win. If he wants to win a title before he retires the answer is obvious - he can't re-sign in LA. There are a few suitors who would give him a better opportunity to do that.

If his priority is being in SoCal and chilling on the beach and he isn't overly concerned with winning - a lot of people are convinced that this is the case - then I'm sure he'll stay.

He's going to want as much as he can get. All of these older stars want as much as they can get for as long as they can get it and thry feel like it's on the team to make it work with them taking up huge chunks of the cap. There's usually a team like Philly that likely only has a couple-year window that is willing to role the dice or their existing team can't *lose them for nothing* because they're too far over the cap to replace them.

Now, if LBJ lands in Philly, the Clippers have Kahwai heartburn, and OKC spends its money on a big, a team like Orlando might get him for a little less than the max, but if they got too low, his agent will try to put together a S&T.

You're probably right, and this mindset continues to puzzle me to no end. Who cares about an extra few million bucks when the opportunity to win an NBA championship is on the table?

I think it's' often about ego as much or more than the money. Are you in the max player club with the real stars, or are you just a guy?
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,392

Post#42 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri May 3, 2024 6:58 pm

Won't PG be 34 next season? gl winning by signing him to a 3+ year deal. You'd be way overpaying for a guy who will probably be about all star level at best and likely start getting injured again while declining ever year. People think every guy is going to be like LeBron and still capable of being top 15 at 35+, even if they were barely top 15 during most of their prime.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,461

Post#43 » by jokeboy86 » Fri May 3, 2024 7:00 pm

Same place every NBA FA in history allegedly wants to sign and is rumored to go, Pinky. The Lakers!
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,277

Post#44 » by tribulations » Fri May 3, 2024 7:01 pm

BlueNGold wrote:
tribulations wrote:Respectfully, nobody leaving LA for Orlando

Off-topic, but I'd live in Orlando a million times before living in LA once.

I guess it's just personal preference at the end of the day but from my experience in both, Orlando offers far less for a young man in his prime than LA.

That aside, Clippers can pay the most and and he may even take a hometown discount.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,740

Post#45 » by Harry Garris » Fri May 3, 2024 7:03 pm

giberish wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
He's going to want as much as he can get. All of these older stars want as much as they can get for as long as they can get it and thry feel like it's on the team to make it work with them taking up huge chunks of the cap. There's usually a team like Philly that likely only has a couple-year window that is willing to role the dice or their existing team can't *lose them for nothing* because they're too far over the cap to replace them.

Now, if LBJ lands in Philly, the Clippers have Kahwai heartburn, and OKC spends its money on a big, a team like Orlando might get him for a little less than the max, but if they got too low, his agent will try to put together a S&T.

You're probably right, and this mindset continues to puzzle me to no end. Who cares about an extra few million bucks when the opportunity to win an NBA championship is on the table?

I think it's' often about ego as much or more than the money. Are you in the max player club with the real stars, or are you just a guy?

Ok, maybe. But then the instant you retire no one gives a rat's ass about how much your annual salary was and the only thing casual fans care about is whether you won a championship or not.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,521

Post#46 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 3, 2024 7:04 pm

If he is smart and truly wants a chance to win a championship he should go to Orlando.

Banchero/Wagner is a serious duo moving forward. PG as a 3rd option would make a lot of sense and the East is a much easier path to the Finals then the West.

PG sign with Orlando bro.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,744

Post#47 » by Celts17Pride » Fri May 3, 2024 7:09 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:Clippers need to S&T him for a 1st round pick. He is using other teams to build leverage and clearly cares about staying in LA for his lifestyle, but from a basketball standpoint he doesn’t make sense and really hasn’t in 5 years. Hopefully Philly or Orlando gets him

Clippers are a 2nd apron team. Clippers can't sign and trade Paul George.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,539

Post#48 » by mademan » Fri May 3, 2024 7:13 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
giberish wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:

Ok, maybe. But then the instant you retire no one gives a rat's ass about how much your annual salary was and the only thing casual fans care about is whether you won a championship or not.

Guys dont care about a player of Paul George's historical level winning a championship anyways. His legacy will be forgettable star #116 or something like that. He might as well capitalize on his career earnings.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,052

Post#49 » by vxmike » Fri May 3, 2024 7:16 pm

giberish wrote:I'd still expect him to resign with the Clippers.

However, how badly is PG overpaid on a 4 year 35% max deal?? Especially as he'll be getting older and likely worse throughout the deal.

Horrible deal. PG can help a team win as a 3rd banana but he’ll be horribly overpaid on a 35% max. He’s not that good anymore.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#50 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 3, 2024 7:18 pm

Even Charlotte would be a better option than the Clippers.

Melo/Miller/PG/Grant/Mark and a top 5 pick on the way. That team could be a sleeper in the East.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,995

Post#51 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri May 3, 2024 7:20 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:Clippers need to S&T him for a 1st round pick. He is using other teams to build leverage and clearly cares about staying in LA for his lifestyle, but from a basketball standpoint he doesn’t make sense and really hasn’t in 5 years. Hopefully Philly or Orlando gets him

Can they get under the Apron by letting Harden walk, then he picks up his option than do it?
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,052

Post#52 » by vxmike » Fri May 3, 2024 7:22 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:If he is smart and truly wants a chance to win a championship he should go to Orlando.

Banchero/Wagner is a serious duo moving forward. PG as a 3rd option would make a lot of sense and the East is a much easier path to the Finals then the West.

Orlando needs a point guard and a Center. They’re set on the wing.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#53 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 3, 2024 7:24 pm

vxmike wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:If he is smart and truly wants a chance to win a championship he should go to Orlando.

Orlando needs a point guard and a Center. They’re set on the wing.
They can play together. PG has guard skills he's not some stiff wing.

Wagner can play 2-4.

I like that trio tbh.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,744

Post#54 » by Celts17Pride » Fri May 3, 2024 7:28 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:

Can they get under the Apron by letting Harden walk, then he picks up his option than do it?

Sign-and-Trades. Teams are prohibited from signing a free agent pursuant to an agreement that
the player will later be traded to another team unless the free agent being signed is the team’s own
free agent. In addition, these “sign-and-trades” are permitted only if (i) the contract is for three or
four years, (ii) the first year of the contract is fully guaranteed, (iii) the contract is entered into
prior to the first day of the regular season, and (iv) the player finished the prior season on the
signing team’s roster. The maximum annual salary increase for a sign-and-trade is 5% of the
salary in the first year of the contract. A team may only acquire a free agent via a sign-and-trade if
the team’s Team Salary post-transaction and at all times thereafter during that Salary Cap Year
does not exceed the Tax Level for the then current Salary Cap Year plus the Tax Apron Amount
(see Section I.F.(3)(e) above).

The first NBA luxury tax apron is $7 million above the luxury tax level, and the second apron is $17.5 million above the tax. For 2023-24, the salary cap is $136 million and the tax level is $165.294 million. So to be above the second apron, a team's payroll this season would have to be over $182 million.

Who knows? I'm not an NBA tax expert. :D
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,839

Post#55 » by madmaxmedia » Fri May 3, 2024 7:31 pm

Outside of LA, I think Phila is the best option and fits his timeline. Embiid/Maxey/PG is a good trio. For all the talk of his softness, he is a big upgrade over Tobias Harris. I'm hoping Phila ends up going a different direction early and eliminates his big negotiating chip with the Clipper FO.

In a vacuum Orlando would be a good spot but they are a little young. I'm not even sure I would want to tie up money in him if I were them. Because of his age and likely required contract to sign him (3 years/~$150M), it's going to be win now teams and not win in 2 years teams.

If you sign him to 3 year deal, I think you'll end up with 2 pretty good years. He might still be serviceable the 3rd or otherwise could be dealt as an expiring.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,542

Post#56 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri May 3, 2024 7:34 pm

I still think he stays with the Clippers. I'd be very surprised if he leaves LA.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,839

Post#57 » by madmaxmedia » Fri May 3, 2024 7:38 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Clippers are a 2nd apron team. Clippers can't sign and trade Paul George.

Sign-and-Trades. Teams are prohibited from signing a free agent pursuant to an agreement that
the player will later be traded to another team unless the free agent being signed is the team’s own
free agent. In addition, these “sign-and-trades” are permitted only if (i) the contract is for three or
four years, (ii) the first year of the contract is fully guaranteed, (iii) the contract is entered into
prior to the first day of the regular season, and (iv) the player finished the prior season on the
signing team’s roster. The maximum annual salary increase for a sign-and-trade is 5% of the
salary in the first year of the contract. A team may only acquire a free agent via a sign-and-trade if
the team’s Team Salary post-transaction and at all times thereafter during that Salary Cap Year
does not exceed the Tax Level for the then current Salary Cap Year plus the Tax Apron Amount

The first NBA luxury tax apron is $7 million above the luxury tax level, and the second apron is $17.5 million above the tax. For 2023-24, the salary cap is $136 million and the tax level is $165.294 million. So to be above the second apron, a team's payroll this season would have to be over $182 million.

I'm not either, but the consensus on the Clipper board was that we couldn't do a sign-and-trade on a new contract, but could if he were to opt into his last year (super unlikely.)
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,365

Post#58 » by Frank Dux » Fri May 3, 2024 7:40 pm

Why would he sign with Philly? He’d just join the long list of scapegoats after their eventual failure.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#59 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri May 3, 2024 7:42 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Clippers are a 2nd apron team. Clippers can't sign and trade Paul George.

I get so confused with cap language. This sounds like the receiving team can’t be second apron, not the sending team?

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#60 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri May 3, 2024 7:43 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:

I'm not either, but the consensus on the Clipper board was that we couldn't do a sign-and-trade on a new contract, but could if he were to opt into his last year (super unlikely.)

I think he would pick up his PO personally. He wants to remain in LA at all costs. It’s not about basketball. It’s about him wanting the lifestyle, the podcast stuff, the LA connection.

Return to The General Board