First Take: Embiid the only MVP to not reach the Conference Finals

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,803

Re: First Take: Embiid the only MVP to not reach the Conference Finals 

Post#81 » by Raps in 4 » Sat May 4, 2024 10:53 pm

eyeatoma wrote:Lol that's why he destroyed your MVp the last two times they played each other.

Chokic wrote:The reason there's even a debate is bc of embiids injuries. When both are fully healthy embiid has shown to be the superior player and has outplayed jokic majority of time when they go head to head. The accolades and team post season success is skewed bc of embiids injury and denvers stronger supporting cast. Unlike denver very rarely does phillys role players step up in post season. 0 pts from Tobias harris in a crucial game 6? Smh

adubmac
Junior
And1: 669

Post#82 » by adubmac » Sat May 4, 2024 11:09 pm

Embiid couldn't even get out of the second round with Jimmy Butler, a player that has led his team to the finals twice as the number one option, since leaving Joel behind.
holy wack unlyrical lyrics
SportsGuru08
Pro Prospect
And1: 721

Post#83 » by SportsGuru08 » Sat May 4, 2024 11:14 pm

Mamba Mentality wrote:Wonder if Embiid regrets starting that MVP campaign. Dude is gonna get **** on till the end of time.

It's his own fault for being so lousy in the postseason
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,708

Post#84 » by Cubbies2120 » Sun May 5, 2024 12:24 am

Chokic wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:
Chokic wrote:Basketball is played on both ends. There's a reason why two way players from guards to bigs are rated higher than one way players.

That's cool and all, however, literally no one in the world rates Embiid higher than Joker, other than Philly fans.

The reason there's even a debate is bc of embiids injuries. When both are fully healthy embiid has shown to be the superior player and has outplayed jokic majority of time when they go head to head. The accolades and team post season success is skewed bc of embiids injury and denvers stronger supporting cast. Unlike denver very rarely does phillys role players step up in post season. 0 pts from Tobias harris in a crucial game 6? Smh

The only time they play H2H is in Philly and last season Embiid was getting cooked until Doc Rivers made the adjustment of putting PJ Tucker on Jokic to give Embiid a breather on defense. Denver didn't have that luxury on the other end so Jokic was defending Embiid straight up. Don't blame Embiid, Doc made a great call to keep his MVP campaign going.

What's funny is thinking that Jokic goes anywhere near 100% during the meaningless regular season. You should just take a look at his averages to see that pretty much everything increases by 20% once the playoffs hit. It may seem weird since you're used to Embiid dropping his play by 33% once he encounters teams actually trying on defense. Then again, while Embiid is trying to figure out how to play against Mitchell Robinson without resorting to injuring him, Jokic is busy playing chess against the opposing team's coach. 8-)
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,459

Post#85 » by Jimmy Recard » Sun May 5, 2024 12:51 am

And in the eastern conference too even worse
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,260

Post#86 » by Edrees » Sun May 5, 2024 1:32 am

Westbrook never made it as the #1 guy.

By the time embiid's career is over he'll probably make it even if a #2 or #3 role (or maybe even a bench role 10 years from now) so this stat is meaningless and very temporary
Pablo Escobar
Head Coach
And1: 4,440

Post#87 » by Pablo Escobar » Sun May 5, 2024 2:09 am

Chokic wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:
Chokic wrote:Basketball is played on both ends. There's a reason why two way players from guards to bigs are rated higher than one way players.

That's cool and all, however, literally no one in the world rates Embiid higher than Joker, other than Philly fans.

The reason there's even a debate is bc of embiids injuries. When both are fully healthy embiid has shown to be the superior player and has outplayed jokic majority of time when they go head to head. The accolades and team post season success is skewed bc of embiids injury and denvers stronger supporting cast. Unlike denver very rarely does phillys role players step up in post season. 0 pts from Tobias harris in a crucial game 6? Smh

Plata o Plomo?
jigga_man
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,229

Post#88 » by jigga_man » Sun May 5, 2024 2:12 am

Sometimes, the good guys do end up winning

Read on Twitter
Sweet Serenity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,241

Post#89 » by Sweet Serenity » Sun May 5, 2024 2:28 am

Eyatoma, Chokic & Hussein Fatal.

3 dudes who always seem to find a new way to embarrass themselves on this board.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 7,034

Post#90 » by LakerLegend » Sun May 5, 2024 2:37 am

Uh Dirk 07.

I'm sure there are more.
Sweet Serenity
Pro Prospect

Post#91 » by Sweet Serenity » Sun May 5, 2024 2:40 am

jigga_man wrote:Sometimes, the good guys do end up winning

Read on Twitter

He could have politely asked the usher to move but instead decides to act like a child.
Sweet Serenity
Pro Prospect

Post#92 » by Sweet Serenity » Sun May 5, 2024 2:42 am

LakerLegend wrote:Uh Dirk 07.

I'm sure there are more.

Dirk made a finals & conference finals appearance before his MVP.
LakerLegend
RealGM

Post#93 » by LakerLegend » Sun May 5, 2024 2:42 am

Sweet Serenity wrote:
jigga_man wrote:Sometimes, the good guys do end up winning

Read on Twitter

He could have politely asked the usher to move but instead decides to act like a child.

It sounds like those other two guys from the Sixers were trying to tell him (based on his head being turned in the beginning) and he wasn't listening to them so Embiid moved him.
LakerLegend
RealGM

Post#94 » by LakerLegend » Sun May 5, 2024 2:43 am

Sweet Serenity wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:Uh Dirk 07.

I'm sure there are more.

Dirk made a finals & conference finals appearance before his MVP.

Ah I thought they were talking about in the same season.
syrus3
Pro Prospect
And1: 931

Post#95 » by syrus3 » Sun May 5, 2024 3:31 am

Embiid only plays his rivals at home. When he has to play them on their turf, he’s never available.
Roy T
Pro Prospect
And1: 904

Post#96 » by Roy T » Sun May 5, 2024 5:42 am

cupcakesnake wrote:This is the kind of stat that's only interesting post-retirement. I don't care about legacy records of this type when a player is mid-career.

Mid career? Late stage career might describe it better. He has 2-3 good years left.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 16,511

Post#97 » by Mk0 » Sun May 5, 2024 5:52 am

HotRocks34 wrote:I've had that in my sig for months.

Good to see the word spread.

It was the title of like 3 different reddit threads this last week. I think ESPN's interns finally caught up when they saw it trending.

I wish they would cover the issue in my sig too. Lucky..
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 16,511

Post#98 » by Mk0 » Sun May 5, 2024 6:15 am

Jimmy Recard wrote:And in the eastern conference too even worse

Outside of the 2019 Raps none of the teams he's lost to are historically great/significant
https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Joel-Embiid/Playoffs-History/49880
His only saving grace is all the DNPs on that page, but also.. that is kinda the problem with the guy.

Then you look at the teams he has beaten in the playoffs and it is just rough..
2018 - 36 year old DWade Heat
2019 - Dlo/LaVert/Allen Nets
2021 - Beal/Westbrook Wizards
2022 - Rookie Barnes Raps
2023 - Mikal Bridges Nets

Part of being a great player is knocking out the other great players. He hasn't been able to do that.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,974

Post#99 » by cupcakesnake » Sun May 5, 2024 2:25 pm

Roy T wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:This is the kind of stat that's only interesting post-retirement. I don't care about legacy records of this type when a player is mid-career.

Mid career? Late stage career might describe it better. He has 2-3 good years left.

A good 2-3 years will mean a good 2-3 cracks at the conference finals if he has some health luck and the Sixers keep up their end of the bargain. Then there's the real late career, if he's lucky enough to be playing in some capacity in his mid/late 30s.

It could also not happen, and his career is looked at as a tragic one or a disappointment. I'm just fine with saving that discussion for when it happens rather than defining his career in this way before the final report card is in.

I thought the Sixers could have easily made the conference finals this year, despite all the bad luck that was their season. The first round exit this year doesn't properly communicate how good Embiid is, or how good the Sixers were. When they were healthy, they were stomping people. They gave a very tough Knicks team a hell of a series despite having a decrepit Embiid, a starting point guard out with injury, and a severe lack of depth. I look forward to seeing what they do with their offseason.

I'm not an Embiid fan. Historically I've rooted against the Sixers. But I don't love seeing such bad luck during a player's prime career, and then see people grasping at every possible thing that drags them down.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 8,500

Post#100 » by BigShot Bojan » Sun May 5, 2024 3:23 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
Roy T wrote:

A good 2-3 years will mean a good 2-3 cracks at the conference finals if he has some health luck and the Sixers keep up their end of the bargain. Then there's the real late career, if he's lucky enough to be playing in some capacity in his mid/late 30s.

It could also not happen, and his career is looked at as a tragic one or a disappointment. I'm just fine with saving that discussion for when it happens rather than defining his career in this way before the final report card is in.

I thought the Sixers could have easily made the conference finals this year, despite all the bad luck that was their season. The first round exit this year doesn't properly communicate how good Embiid is, or how good the Sixers were. When they were healthy, they were stomping people. They gave a very tough Knicks team a hell of a series despite having a decrepit Embiid, a starting point guard out with injury, and a severe lack of depth. I look forward to seeing what they do with their offseason.

I'm not an Embiid fan. Historically I've rooted against the Sixers. But I don't love seeing such bad luck during a player's prime career, and then see people grasping at every possible thing that drags them down.

Bad luck? Cmon ….hes made his bad luck by being fat and refusing to get conditioned….his lack of accountability is not bad luck
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.

Return to The General Board