Can OKC have the best starting 5 ever next season?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,027

Can OKC have the best starting 5 ever next season? 

Post#1 » by NyKnicks1714 » Fri May 3, 2024 3:43 pm

Genuinely asking. If Paul George is interested in signing there, is a situation possible where they sign him outright and then move Giddey(+whoever is needed to match salaries) and some 1sts for Markkanen?

SGA
George
Williams
Markkannen
Chet

An MVP candidate and 4 legitimate All-star-caliber players. I'm not saying this is the path they should take, and it doesn't address their biggest needs, but as far as I can tell it's a possibility.
BrianInPhilly
Senior
And1: 760

Re: Can OKC have the best starting 5 ever next season? 

Post#2 » by BrianInPhilly » Fri May 3, 2024 3:47 pm

That lineup doesn't even fit that well. Replacing George w/ Cason Wallace would yield a better lineup cause Wallace can guard the other team's best guard. In this lineup, SGA or George or Williams would have to deal with the small guards.
Mrakar
Starter
And1: 2,604

Post#3 » by Mrakar » Fri May 3, 2024 3:58 pm

Why would they want PG? He doesnt fit the timeline, he is mostly no show in playoffs.
Thunder should build on what they have, and not to mention that roster will be expensive in couple of years. They cant afford to make dumb decisions now.
If everything is going well, expect an WojBomb
#Pelslife :cry:
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 934

Post#4 » by bubonicphoniks » Fri May 3, 2024 4:01 pm

No
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,027

Post#5 » by NyKnicks1714 » Fri May 3, 2024 4:04 pm

BrianInPhilly wrote:That lineup doesn't even fit that well. Replacing George w/ Cason Wallace would yield a better lineup cause Wallace can guard the other team's best guard. In this lineup, SGA or George or Williams would have to deal with the small guards.

It's not the best fit defensively, no (although I don't think it would matter in the end). I'm mostly asking if something like this is possible, or if I'm missing some cap issue.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,927

Post#6 » by basketballRob » Fri May 3, 2024 4:05 pm

OKC would have to clear more contracts to be able to afford him. I don't think they are a serious candidate to sign him.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
TheFire
Senior
And1: 1,041

Post#7 » by TheFire » Fri May 3, 2024 4:09 pm

No. Denver and Boston will. And Sixers as well once Lebron joins.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,566

Post#8 » by Wolveswin » Fri May 3, 2024 4:35 pm

Jalen+ for Doncic.

Giddey+ for Markkanen

Chet
Markkanen
Doncic
Dort
SGA

That is the best all-in lineup for OKC.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,983

Post#9 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri May 3, 2024 4:40 pm

OKC doesnt have the cap space for PG13.

Adding Lauri and keeping Dort in that low usage 3/D role is still a great team. I would only take BOS and DEN over them. And for DEN that isnt on overall talent but on PO experience.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,127

Post#10 » by Mr B » Fri May 3, 2024 4:41 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:Genuinely asking. If Paul George is interested in signing there, is a situation possible where they sign him outright and then move Giddey(+whoever is needed to match salaries) and some 1sts for Markkanen?

SGA
George
Williams
Markkannen
Chet

An MVP candidate and 4 legitimate All-star-caliber players. I'm not saying this is the path they should take, and it doesn't address their biggest needs, but as far as I can tell it's a possibility.

You must have never heard of the Dream Team.
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,984

Post#11 » by Liam_Gallagher » Fri May 3, 2024 4:49 pm

Ever?

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,155

Post#12 » by UcanUwill » Fri May 3, 2024 4:52 pm

Mr B wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:Genuinely asking. If Paul George is interested in signing there, is a situation possible where they sign him outright and then move Giddey(+whoever is needed to match salaries) and some 1sts for Markkanen?

SGA
George
Williams
Markkannen
Chet

You must have never heard of the Dream Team.

He obviously meant NBA. That would be sweet five, the problem is when you throw word "ever" into the mix.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,656

Post#13 » by winforlose » Sat May 4, 2024 2:31 am

Wolveswin wrote:Jalen+ for Doncic.

Giddey+ for Markkanen

Chet
Markkanen
Doncic
Dort
SGA

You would need to blow all your picks on Markkanen and there is no way Dallas trades Luka, much less for JW. It would cost SGA and more and would not happen.
MarcusBrody
Starter
And1: 3,818

Post#14 » by MarcusBrody » Sat May 4, 2024 3:04 am

I want to say that the KD Warriors were better, but Zaza started most games even though he only averaged 18 minutes per game. Iggy was the fifth player in terms of minutes, but didn't start a single game that year.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,566

Post#15 » by Wolveswin » Sat May 4, 2024 3:20 am

winforlose wrote:

Giddey+ for Markkanen

Chet
Markkanen
Doncic
Dort
SGA

You would need to blow all your picks on Markkanen and there is no way Dallas trades Luka, much less for JW. It would cost SGA and more and would not happen.

Ok, I can’t figure out if you are being serious. You think the delta between Giddey and Markkanen is ALL OKC picks? Like all 10,000 of them?

And come on, SGA is not being traded for Doncic, we all know this.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,656

Post#16 » by winforlose » Sat May 4, 2024 3:25 am

Wolveswin wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Giddey+ for Markkanen

Chet
Markkanen
Doncic
Dort
SGA

Ok, I can’t figure out if you are being serious. You think the delta between Giddey and Markkanen is ALL OKC picks? Like all 10,000 of them?

Look at what Utah charged for Spider and Gobert. You think they give up Markkanen (whose contract is better,) for less than 5 firsts and more. As for the contracts, yeah, you’re gonna give up more player talent than just Giddey to get Markkanen. Probably Cason Wallace and maybe Isiah Joe as well.

I didn’t say they would trade SGA for Luka. I said Dallas isn’t moving a MVP candidate for Jalen Williams. You don’t see guys like that move for less than guys in similar positions and since OKC is initiating Dallas would raise the price more. This isn’t a Luka is forcing his way out. In fact, I suspect Dallas wins a round 2 matchup with OKC, which means they are even less likely to deal Luka.

Finally, how many picks does OKC have after 2024? I am honestly asking as I don’t think it is as many you think.
doogie_hauser
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,324

Post#17 » by doogie_hauser » Sat May 4, 2024 3:27 am

winforlose wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Look at what Utah charged for Spider and Gobert. You think they give up Markkanen (whose contract is better,) for less than 5 firsts and more. As for the contracts, yeah, you’re gonna give up more player talent than just Giddey to get Markkanen. Probably Cason Wallace and maybe Isiah Joe as well.

I didn’t say they would trade SGA for Luka. I said Dallas isn’t moving a MVP candidate for Jalen Williams. You don’t see guys like that move for less than guys in similar positions and since OKC is initiating Dallas would raise the price more. This isn’t a Luka is forcing his way out. In fact, I suspect Dallas wins a round 2 matchup with OKC, which means they are even less likely to deal Luka.

Finally, how many picks does OKC have after 2024? I am honestly asking as I don’t think it is as many you think.

I think they own one of Miami's first round picks in 2026 or so (or even just a pick swap, which is still a juicy asset)
ryguy613
Sixth Man
And1: 1,756

Post#18 » by ryguy613 » Sat May 4, 2024 3:27 am

...can it just be the best starting 5 for next season before you proclaim them the best starting 5 of all time
Dubnation
Analyst
And1: 3,366

Post#19 » by Dubnation » Sat May 4, 2024 3:29 am

Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,805

Post#20 » by Raps in 4 » Sat May 4, 2024 3:32 am

Easily

Return to The General Board