Will the 2024 power shift result in one of greatest off season

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Wigginstime
Sixth Man
And1: 2,520

Will the 2024 power shift result in one of greatest off season 

Post#1 » by Wigginstime » Fri May 3, 2024 4:23 pm

I can't remember a year where so many teams went all in to win a championship and completely failed by not even getting out of the first round. I'm talking teams who traded all their picks, went into the luxury tax, and loaded up on short window aging superstars to completely fail. The crazy thing is a lot of these teams can't even blame it on injuries and justify running it back.

Look at the list

1. Golden State - #1 Payroll in League, Failed to make playoffs (Aging Curry, CP3, Klay, & Green)
2. Clippers - #2 Payroll in League, Likely to loose in 1st round (Aging Harden, Westbrook, Leonard, & PG)
3. Suns - #3 Payroll in League, Swept in 1st round with massive contracts of Durant, Beal, and Booker
4. Bucks -#4 Payroll in League, lost in 1st round with aging Lillard, Lopez, & Middleton. They at least have the injury excuse and are likely to run it back
5. Miami #7 Payroll in League, lost in 1st round, never felt like a serious contender all year and have an aging injury prone butler
6. Lakers #8 payroll in League, lost in 1st round and rely heavily on a soon to be 40 year old lebron and injury prone Davis

That is a crap ton of teams filled with max contract former MVPs and all NBA players.

I think this will set us up for one of the most dynamic off seasons in the history of the NBA. That is a hell of a lot of teams about to go into desperation mode this off season. They all went into "championship or bust" mode yet seem to be way behind a league that is currently seeing a rise in a new generation of elite teams led by a new generation of superstar players who are all under 30 (i.e. Jokic, Tatum, Ant, Brunson, SGA, Luka, etc)
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,818

Re: 2024 - Most "all in championship or bust" teams to completely fail 

Post#2 » by TinmanZBoy » Fri May 3, 2024 4:43 pm

Good and Gooder
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
Zukkoyaki
Junior
And1: 328

Re: Will the 2024 power shift result in one of greatest off season 

Post#3 » by Zukkoyaki » Fri May 3, 2024 4:59 pm

Obviously the solution is to continue giving out 3+ year max contracts to dudes who are already in their 30s.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,995

Post#4 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri May 3, 2024 5:16 pm

I think what happened to these old “big 3” type mentality teams is fantastic for the league. A painful, but necessary thing. The league has gotten younger and more ruthless. Guys like Luka, Edwards, Jokic, SGA, Brunson, Tatum don’t give a **** who you are. They wanna win. What’s funny is all of these teams besides Boston and NY are “small market”.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,383

Post#5 » by SpreeS » Fri May 3, 2024 5:23 pm

All these hunters for cheap trophy’s are desperate.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#6 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri May 3, 2024 5:58 pm

Read on Twitter

cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,856

Post#7 » by cgf » Fri May 3, 2024 5:58 pm

Orlando also has a ton of cap space to play with, Detroit is desperate, and you've also got the warchest teams who could do something big at any point.

The FA class sucks, but it still feels like there could be a lot going on this summer.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,667

Post#8 » by bisme37 » Fri May 3, 2024 6:07 pm

Read on Twitter
Rishkar
Junior
And1: 329

Post#9 » by Rishkar » Fri May 3, 2024 7:16 pm

bisme37 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think we need a new thread just to discuss this video. I'm in shock
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,367

Post#10 » by Frank Dux » Fri May 3, 2024 8:11 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:I think what happened to these old “big 3” type mentality teams is fantastic for the league. A painful, but necessary thing. The league has gotten younger and more ruthless. Guys like Luka, Edwards, Jokic, SGA, Brunson, Tatum don’t give a **** who you are. They wanna win. What’s funny is all of these teams besides Boston and NY are “small market”.

Ditto. Teams like Denver are showing it’s far more important to build a balanced team with complimentary pieces, rather than sending out everyone sans Jokic for the first megastar available.

I also like what the Knicks are doing. Not a lot of star power there, but a bunch of quality wings and versatile players who hustle hard.
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 931

Post#11 » by Special_Puppy » Fri May 3, 2024 9:24 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:I think what happened to these old “big 3” type mentality teams is fantastic for the league. A painful, but necessary thing. The league has gotten younger and more ruthless. Guys like Luka, Edwards, Jokic, SGA, Brunson, Tatum don’t give a **** who you are. They wanna win. What’s funny is all of these teams besides Boston and NY are “small market”.

Dallas is the 5th largest media market in the country
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,577

Post#12 » by jkvonny » Fri May 3, 2024 10:24 pm

True, but FWIW, Dallas/DFW is one of the big markets in the league.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,856

Post#13 » by cgf » Fri May 3, 2024 10:36 pm

Frank Dux wrote:

Ditto. Teams like Denver are showing it’s far more important to build a balanced team with complimentary pieces, rather than sending out everyone sans Jokic for the first megastar available.

I also like what the Knicks are doing. Not a lot of star power there, but a bunch of quality wings and versatile players who hustle hard.

Just wait until we add Caruso this summer 8-)
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#14 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri May 3, 2024 11:03 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:

Fair. It’s just nice seeing smaller markets do well.

BlzMwt
Rookie
And1: 1,024

Post#15 » by BlzMwt » Fri May 3, 2024 11:09 pm

Frank Dux wrote:

I would suggest what Denver has done is less about team construction and being balanced and more about having the best player in the league (and a top 10 alltime candidate).

If Jokic teamed up with 2 other stars and had a bunch of mid level guys I think they would still be the favourites.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by jkvonny » Fri May 3, 2024 11:20 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:

Agreed.

Also, here's a good list to go by for future reference :D

Big/large markets:
Most of them are on the East coast (especially northeast USA/Canada).
Pretty much the whole Atlantic Division :lol: like NY Knicks/Brooklyn Nets, Boston (New England region) Celtics, Philly Sixers, Toronto Raptors.
Washington Wizards (Washington DC, Baltimore region/ DMV (DC/Maryland/Virginia)
Chicago Bulls.
Atlanta Hawks
Only a few of them in the West (big metro cities in CA and TX) . LA Lakers/LA Clippers, GS Warriors (SF/Oakland/Bay area), Dallas/DFW Mavs, Houston Rockets.

Mid/small markets
Most of them are in the West. Pretty much the whole Northwest Division. :lol: Like Portland TBlazers, Denver Nuggets, OKC Thunder, Minny TWolves, Utah Jazz
New Orleans Pelicans, , San Antonio Spurs, Memphis Grizz, Sacramento Kings, Phoenix Suns (similar to Miami....debatable).

Only a handful of them in the East. Like Milwaukee Bucks, Cleveland Cavs, Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Charlotte Hornets, Orlando Magic, and Miami Heat (similar to Phoenix....debatable).
t54zhao
Junior
And1: 580

Post#17 » by t54zhao » Fri May 3, 2024 11:59 pm

jkvonny wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:

Agreed.

Big/large markets:
Pretty much the whole Atlantic Division :lol: like NY Knicks/Brooklyn Nets, Boston (New England region) Celtics, Philly Sixers, Toronto Raptors.
Chicago Bulls.
Atlanta Hawks
Only a few of them in the West (big metro cities in CA and TX) . LA Lakers/LA Clippers, GS Warriors (SF/Oakland/Bay area), Dallas/DFW Mavs, Houston Rockets.

Mid/small markets
Most of them are in the West. Pretty much the whole Northwest Division. :lol: Like Portland TBlazers, Denver Nuggets, OKC Thunder, Minny TWolves, Utah Jazz
New Orleans Pelicans, , San Antonio Spurs, Memphis Grizz, Sacramento Kings, Phoenix Suns (similar to Miami....debatable).

Only a handful of them in the East. Like Milwaukee Bucks, Cleveland Cavs, Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Charlotte Hornets, Orlando Magic, and Miami Heat (similar to Phoenix....debatable).

Toronto is actually the smallest market, because the media market has 0 Americans so for ESPN, TNT etc there is 0 ad revenue.
My challenge to the Vaccine truthers, make a prediction and sig it.
Mine: In 2023, rates of heart attacks & strokes amongst vaccinated people, never infected with COVID will be similar (+-5%) when compared to people of same age in 2018.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by jkvonny » Sat May 4, 2024 12:11 am

t54zhao wrote:
jkvonny wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:

Agreed.

Big/large markets:
Chicago Bulls.
Atlanta Hawks

Mid/small markets

Toronto is actually the smallest market, because the media market has 0 Americans so for ESPN, TNT etc there is 0 ad revenue.

:lol: Good one! :P

BTW, yall aren't too far away from NY and Detroit either. :P
One Last Shot
Starter
And1: 2,912

Post#19 » by One Last Shot » Sat May 4, 2024 12:37 am

Wigginstime wrote:I can't remember a year where so many teams went all in to win a championship and completely failed by not even getting out of the first round. I'm talking teams who traded all their picks, went into the luxury tax, and loaded up on short window aging superstars to completely fail. The crazy thing is a lot of these teams can't even blame it on injuries and justify running it back.

Look at the list

1. Golden State - #1 Payroll in League, Failed to make playoffs (Aging Curry, CP3, Klay, & Green)
2. Clippers - #2 Payroll in League, Likely to loose in 1st round (Aging Harden, Westbrook, Leonard, & PG)
3. Suns - #3 Payroll in League, Swept in 1st round with massive contracts of Durant, Beal, and Booker
4. Bucks -#4 Payroll in League, lost in 1st round with aging Lillard, Lopez, & Middleton. They at least have the injury excuse and are likely to run it back
5. Miami #7 Payroll in League, lost in 1st round, never felt like a serious contender all year and have an aging injury prone butler
6. Lakers #8 payroll in League, lost in 1st round and rely heavily on a soon to be 40 year old lebron and injury prone Davis

That is a crap ton of teams filled with max contract former MVPs and all NBA players.

I think this will set us up for one of the most dynamic off seasons in the history of the NBA. That is a hell of a lot of teams about to go into desperation mode this off season. They all went into "championship or bust" mode yet seem to be way behind a league that is currently seeing a rise in a new generation of elite teams led by a new generation of superstar players who are all under 30 (i.e. Jokic, Tatum, Ant, Brunson, SGA, Luka, etc)

Are you aware that Giannis is just 2 months older than Jokic? Sure, older teammates but still he's at the same age as the best player in the world.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,450

Post#20 » by BigGargamel » Sat May 4, 2024 12:41 am

Being a Nuggets fan is such a wonderful thing.

Return to The General Board