Do people know how amazing Kyrie has been so far?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

KennerLeaguer
Senior
And1: 59

Re: Do people know how amazing Kyrie has been so far? 

Post#41 » by KennerLeaguer » Sat May 4, 2024 12:17 am

sfernald wrote:Is he better than Luka at this point? Has the apprentice finally become the master?

How can one be an apprentice to a person with less professional experience?
KennerLeaguer
Senior

Post#42 » by KennerLeaguer » Sat May 4, 2024 12:18 am

Demagoog wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
sfernald wrote:Is he better than Luka at this point? Has the apprentice finally become the master?

This series he’s way better than Luka. Especially when you factor in defense. In general, no.

Luka has been nothing short of sensational on defense this series.

That is an exaggeration. He has been better though.
KennerLeaguer
Senior

Post#43 » by KennerLeaguer » Sat May 4, 2024 12:20 am

sp6r=underrated wrote:
xchange55 wrote:] I think the league/media is not pushing him as a star or face of any teams because of the various controversies off the court.

His controversies aren't off the court. He's flat out caused problems for multiple teams he played on. He had a season he basically refused to play basketball.

Very true.
Handlez
Junior
And1: 623

Post#44 » by Handlez » Sat May 4, 2024 12:26 am

Kyrie a real one.

Luka and him need a documentary or TV show.

Luka chugging beers while Kyrie trying to lecture him about flat earth and evil spirits making him shoot too many threes.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,555

Post#45 » by CIN-C-STAR » Sat May 4, 2024 4:32 am

Kyrie seems genuinely happy right now, and that's good news for Mavs fans, and honestly just basketball fans in general because he is Basketball Poetry.
But also, I'm just happy for him. Never thought he seemed like a bad dude just immature/misguided at times.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,613

Post#46 » by MavsDirk41 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:51 am

He has been better than I expected. His shot creation and ability to score inside the paint is truly spectacular. He is a special talent for sure.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,244

Post#47 » by monopoman » Sat May 4, 2024 4:54 am

The problem with Kyrie is you never know what he's gonna do things seem to be going well in Dallas but any kind of thing can set off Kyrie being a problem.

Very few people doubt his abilities when he is healthy and on the court, that is not the issue at all. **** if he had less issues off the court he would be considered one of the most elite players in the league, and likely be respected and valued a lot higher.
Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man
And1: 2,160

Post#48 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sat May 4, 2024 10:50 am

Petergrifindor wrote:The other day, during the 5th game I actually opened another window in my computer to buy myself a Kyrie jersey.

You now, after THAT play.

Read on Twitter

Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,848

Post#49 » by Froob » Sat May 4, 2024 11:02 am

No, but he is best as the secondary ball handler. Best he’s been in his career as been playing with LeBron, Harden and Luka.

Happy for Kyrie, he’s fun to watch. Boston stuff is old news. Wasn’t going to work out timeline wise. Kyrie shouldn’t be your number one player.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#50 » by cgf » Sat May 4, 2024 12:09 pm

mademan wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
xchange55 wrote:] I think the league/media is not pushing him as a star or face of any teams because of the various controversies off the court.

His controversies aren't off the court. He's flat out caused problems for multiple teams he played on. He had a season he basically refused to play basketball.

What season was this? Refusing to take the vaccine /=/ refusing to play basketball...multiple other players didnt take the vaccine, they just didnt play in NY.

Kyrie has a lot of controversies to answer for but the COVID year was just unfortunate, not his fault.

It was 100% his choice. He knew he played in NY and he knew the rules, but he chose to follow his beliefs despite the consequences. Whether because he thought the rules didn't apply to him, because he didn't care about his team enough, because he likes the attention he gets for being a contrarian, or just because he lacks experience reading scientific papers, the reason doesn't really matter.

Whatever it was that inspired him to do so, Kyrie made the decision not to be there for his team when he could've been.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 132

Post#51 » by Astaluego » Sat May 4, 2024 1:06 pm

cgf wrote:
mademan wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

What season was this? Refusing to take the vaccine /=/ refusing to play basketball...multiple other players didnt take the vaccine, they just didnt play in NY.

Kyrie has a lot of controversies to answer for but the COVID year was just unfortunate, not his fault.

It was 100% his choice. He knew he played in NY and he knew the rules, but he chose to follow his beliefs despite the consequences. Whether because he thought the rules didn't apply to him, because he didn't care about his team enough, because he likes the attention he gets for being a contrarian, or just because he lacks experience reading scientific papers, the reason doesn't really matter.

Whatever it was that inspired him to do so, Kyrie made the decision not to be there for his team when he could've been.

or maybe a guy true to his principles, who doesn't sell himself for money/social pressure, I don't know how things look on the other side of the pond, but in my eyes he did totally the right thing by not injecting that graphene **** with dark or dubious purposes..but even if you think differently where is free will??? now kill me
Old Mike Lorenzo
cgf
RealGM

Post#52 » by cgf » Sat May 4, 2024 1:30 pm

Astaluego wrote:
cgf wrote:
mademan wrote:

or maybe a guy true to his principles, who doesn't sell himself for money/social pressure, I don't know how things look on the other side of the pond, but in my eyes he did totally the right thing by not injecting that graphene **** with dark or dubious purposes..but even if you think differently where is free will??? now kill me

Exactly Kyrie put his own scientific illiteracy above his team-mates and used his free will to choose not to be available. I'm a biologist, so you're not going to have a lot of success trying to argue that the vaccine was more dangerous than the virus.

Kyrie made a selfish decision out of ignorance, and knew what the consequences of that decision would be. Blaming anyone other than Kyrie for not being available is like when people blame the refs for not letting Draymond go around hitting dudes in the dick.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,336

Post#53 » by lambchop » Sat May 4, 2024 1:37 pm

Astaluego wrote:
cgf wrote:
mademan wrote:

Both sides will continue to tell their version of the story. It was interesting to witness that part of human history. Both sides will never forget how things went down.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
f l u r p
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Post#54 » by f l u r p » Sat May 4, 2024 5:11 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:

This series he’s way better than Luka. Especially when you factor in defense. In general, no.

Luka has been playing great defense. This is an old take.

Now, Kyrie is playing great defense as well. The entire team is great defensively.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,579

Post#55 » by nate33 » Sat May 4, 2024 5:18 pm

cgf wrote:Exactly Kyrie put his own scientific illiteracy above his team-mates and used his free will to choose not to be available. I'm a biologist, so you're not going to have a lot of success trying to argue that the vaccine was more dangerous than the virus.

For young, healthy, professional athletes, the vaccine was more dangerous than the virus. The chances of myocarditis impacting Kyrie's career were higher than the virtually zero chance that a healthy, not-fat, non-immunocompromised 27-year-old would be killed by Covid.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,873

Post#56 » by bisme37 » Sat May 4, 2024 5:18 pm

Froob wrote:

No, but he is best as the secondary ball handler. Best he’s been in his career as been playing with LeBron, Harden and Luka.

Happy for Kyrie, he’s fun to watch. Boston stuff is old news. Wasn’t going to work out timeline wise. Kyrie shouldn’t be your number one player.

As a Celtics fan I was already about 95% over my distaste for Kyrie and then last night I think I officially got over the final 5% too. When he hit a big 3 in the 4th and he looked so happy and his teammates were happy and it was so wholesome and precious haha.

He's matured and has been well-behaved and is playing amazing and I wish him all the best.
cgf
RealGM

Post#57 » by cgf » Sat May 4, 2024 5:33 pm

nate33 wrote:
cgf wrote:Exactly Kyrie put his own scientific illiteracy above his team-mates and used his free will to choose not to be available. I'm a biologist, so you're not going to have a lot of success trying to argue that the vaccine was more dangerous than the virus.

For young, healthy, professional athletes, the vaccine was more dangerous than the virus. The chances of myocarditis impact Kyrie's career were higher than the virtually zero chance that a healthy, not-fat, non-immunocompromised 27-year-old would be killed by Covid.

So this isn't really comparing apples to apples when the implication is made that death was the only risk to Kyrie's career from covid, while the risks of the vaccine are broadened to include any heart inflammation. Wherever you got this talking point might have been less than diligent about presenting a full picture lol.

...but let's say that wasn't an intentionally misleading way of framing the question, the risk of transmission to someone who wasn't a healthy, non-fat, non-immunocompromised 27yo was still much higher.

Now Kyrie may not have known anyone who fit that criteria that he cares about, so maybe that wasn't a risk to his career...but we know for a fact that losing people close to them to the disease affected players negatively during the pandemic. We don't have a single example of a player being negatively impacted by taking the vaccine.

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,861

Post#58 » by tsherkin » Sat May 4, 2024 5:38 pm

nate33 wrote:

For young, healthy, professional athletes, the vaccine was more dangerous than the virus. The chances of myocarditis impact Kyrie's career were higher than the virtually zero chance that a healthy, not-fat, non-immunocompromised 27-year-old would be killed by Covid.

Myocarditis was hardly the only complication of COVID. The risk of ARDS and other serious respiratory complications were significant. We saw that plenty responding to calls in Toronto.

Conversation about the vaccine mandate and stuff is complex for a variety of reasons, no doubt, but you could be any age and be completely screwed over that virus, even without any inherent immunosuppression or other complications. Particularly the Alpha and Beta variants.
cgf
RealGM

Post#59 » by cgf » Sat May 4, 2024 5:41 pm

tsherkin wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Myocarditis was hardly the only complication of COVID. The risk of ARDS and other serious respiratory complications were significant. We saw that plenty responding to calls in Toronto.

Conversation about the vaccine mandate and stuff is complex for a variety of reasons, no doubt, but you could be any age and be completely screwed over that virus, even without any inherent immunosuppression or other complications. Particularly the Alpha and Beta variants.

Did I misread or is that post claiming that the chances of the virus killing someone in Kyrie's demo was less than the chances of the vaccine causing myocarditis in anyone...not that the vaccine was more likely than the virus to cause cardiac inflammation in Kyrie's demo?

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,579

Post#60 » by nate33 » Sat May 4, 2024 5:43 pm

cgf wrote:...but let's say that wasn't an intentionally misleading way of framing the question, the risk of transmission to someone who wasn't a healthy, non-fat, non-immunocompromised 27yo was still much higher.

The vaccines did virtually nothing to stop transmission.

Return to The General Board