Do people know how amazing Kyrie has been so far?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

docholliday99
Sixth Man
And1: 934

Re: Do people know how amazing Kyrie has been so far? 

Post#21 » by docholliday99 » Fri May 3, 2024 6:23 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
xchange55 wrote:] I think the league/media is not pushing him as a star or face of any teams because of the various controversies off the court.

His controversies aren't off the court. He's flat out caused problems for multiple teams he played on. He had a season he basically refused to play basketball.

Kyrie had issues pre Lebron in Cleveland and afterwards in Boston and Brooklyn. Kyrie seems the sort that needs to play with a player that he feels is a dominate player/personality and not be the lead dog on the team. He was a train wreck when he tried to be a leader after leaving Cleveland; I think it was hard for Kyrie to acknowledge that you may be almost as good as a Lebron or a Luka, but lack that, "je ne sais quoi", that "something" that attracts others to follow you and be a natural leader.

We're seeing a lot of maturity and growth in Kyrie that I didn't think he would get to, tbh. Luka is his Batman, like Lebron was in the past.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,528

Post#22 » by PistolPeteJR » Fri May 3, 2024 6:38 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
sfernald wrote:

Let me ask you this then. Is he so good right now that you put Dort on Kyrie rather than Luka in the upcoming series?

No, because I believe in things averaging out. It was unlikely for Luka to play this bad offensively and be hurt vs the Clippers. Next series he will probably be the easy #1 offensive option, so Dort will probably be on him.

OKC has numerous perimeter defenders, is Dort the guy to put on Luka. I mean, he probably is, but I think its a debate here to be had. SGA and Williams play good defense too, I get you dont want to wear them down onbthat end, but you will need two people to guard MAVS duo either way.

I actually think OKC should put Dort on Kyrie and Williams on Luka, at least to start.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,528

Post#23 » by PistolPeteJR » Fri May 3, 2024 6:38 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
xchange55 wrote:] I think the league/media is not pushing him as a star or face of any teams because of the various controversies off the court.

His controversies aren't off the court. He's flat out caused problems for multiple teams he played on. He had a season he basically refused to play basketball.

I see what you did there
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,400

Post#24 » by ChipotleWest » Fri May 3, 2024 7:52 pm

Read on Twitter
"The best ability is availability"

Not if the player sucks a**.
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,186

Post#25 » by picc » Fri May 3, 2024 7:55 pm

Kai's defense shouldn't be that shocking. If you've been watchiing him on Dallas and even BK last season, the guy can defend his ass off. Its a pretty outdated criticism.

And yeah, OP is right he's been amazing. Better than Luka for sure stat wise and eye test, though I think he benefits a lot from Luka's presence on the court.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,137

Post#26 » by Archx » Fri May 3, 2024 8:05 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
sfernald wrote:Is he better than Luka at this point? Has the apprentice finally become the master?

This series he’s way better than Luka. Especially when you factor in defense. In general, no.

Shooting wise, maybe yes. But overall impact? That's debatable.

People love On/Off and defense. So...

Kyrie +17.5

Luka +47.5

And...

Read on Twitter
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,400

Post#27 » by ChipotleWest » Fri May 3, 2024 8:06 pm

With many players it just comes down to trying vs. not trying. Lebron was making All defensive teams then in the middle of his career he just stopped playing hard nose defense. That was his decision to focus on the offensive end, it's not as if he lost the ability to defend at 30.
"The best ability is availability"

Not if the player sucks a**.
Tottery
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,399

Post#28 » by Tottery » Fri May 3, 2024 8:14 pm

He is entertaining to watch. Been efficient this post season as well with 50/42/90 shooting splits so far.

He and Luka are giving their best on defense as well. Never saw Luka get into a full blown defensive stance as much as this series.
Astaluego
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#29 » by Astaluego » Fri May 3, 2024 8:30 pm

Someone had to say it.. thanks OP.. Yes, he has been great, in addition to having the most aesthetic game in the world (in my opinion), what has impressed me the most (I didn't see him so much until landing in the Mavs) is his extremely altruistic game, (especially coming from a scoring guard ) Kai, not only has been the co-star the Mavs needed, he is also the veteran leader that the brilliant but sometimes immature Luka needs
Old Mike Lorenzo
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,741

Post#30 » by Dirk » Fri May 3, 2024 8:43 pm

Astaluego wrote:Someone had to say it.. thanks OP.

This is a classic jinx thread.

Someone create a thread on Terrance Mann playing great defense or something please.
60/21/10
Petergrifindor
Rookie
And1: 1,505

Post#31 » by Petergrifindor » Fri May 3, 2024 8:51 pm

The other day, during the 5th game I actually opened another window in my computer to buy myself a Kyrie jersey.

You now, after THAT play.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,462

Post#32 » by og15 » Fri May 3, 2024 8:57 pm

sfernald wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
sfernald wrote:Is he better than Luka at this point? Has the apprentice finally become the master?

This series he’s way better than Luka. Especially when you factor in defense. In general, no.

Let me ask you this then. Is he so good right now that you put Dort on Kyrie rather than Luka in the upcoming series?

If you believe Dort will actually limit him enough, sometimes it ends up being better limiting the secondary guy and understanding that the main guy will get his regardless.

Teams have done this in the past, for example take out the high-ish ppg very efficient shooter/scorer, understanding the main guy or guys even with a lesser defender can't make up all that efficiency.

So just depends on how much you actually believe Dort could do defensively on him in terms of limiting him.
JimmyFromNz
Pro Prospect
And1: 900

Post#33 » by JimmyFromNz » Fri May 3, 2024 9:05 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:

You mentioned you've watched every minute of this series.

Luka's man defense has very good. Night and day from the regular season, so it seems an odd conclusion to reach.

For the original quoted question, Kyrie's been great (all season not just this series) but its a very firm and flat no and move on.
mpoo_sin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,131

Post#34 » by mpoo_sin » Fri May 3, 2024 9:13 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
sfernald wrote:

No, because I believe in things averaging out. It was unlikely for Luka to play this bad offensively and be hurt vs the Clippers. Next series he will probably be the easy #1 offensive option, so Dort will probably be on him.

OKC has numerous perimeter defenders, is Dort the guy to put on Luka. I mean, he probably is, but I think its a debate here to be had. SGA and Williams play good defense too, I get you dont want to wear them down onbthat end, but you will need two people to guard MAVS duo either way.

While i think that Williams is a credible option to guard Doncic i do not see Gilgeous-Alexander being well equipped to handle a 6.8 250 player. He is the prototypical Irving defender though.

Dort, Williams on Doncic.
Gilgeous-Alexander, Giddey? on Irving
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,331

Post#35 » by lambchop » Fri May 3, 2024 10:10 pm

sfernald wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:

Sounds like something Popovich would do. He used to put Kawhi on Westbrook instead of KD
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,186

Post#36 » by picc » Fri May 3, 2024 10:15 pm

If Dallas advances, if I'm OKC I put Williams on Luka and Dort on Kyrie. I don't want Shai picking up any fouls and using energy needlessly. Let him cook and let the other boys handle the defense. Shai can chill on DJJ.
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,478

Post#37 » by MrGoat » Fri May 3, 2024 10:45 pm

One thing that has helped a lot is this has been his heathiest season in a long time. He played in 30 straight games for the first time since 2016. This season he set his career high in dunks (granted, only 6) which is crazy for a 32 year old guard his size.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,995

Post#38 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri May 3, 2024 11:02 pm

JimmyFromNz wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:

You mentioned you've watched every minute of this series.

Luka's man defense has very good. Night and day from the regular season, so it seems an odd conclusion to reach.

For the original quoted question, Kyrie's been great (all season not just this series) but its a very firm and flat no and move on.

Do we have matchup difficulty data? Because outside of game 3 or whatever when everyone kept trying to switch and go at Luka and it failed, I just know by my eyes I’ve seen way more times this series where Kyrie is getting incredible ball pressure and 1 on 1 D on the wing against Harden and PG.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
advent11
Junior
And1: 378

Post#39 » by advent11 » Fri May 3, 2024 11:40 pm

Kyrie has been clearly better than Luka this series. Eye test.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,442

Post#40 » by dygaction » Fri May 3, 2024 11:54 pm

Archx wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:

Shooting wise, maybe yes. But overall impact? That's debatable.

People love On/Off and defense. So...

Kyrie +17.5

Luka +47.5

And...

Read on Twitter

lol @ that belly..

Return to The General Board