Lakers fire Darvin Ham

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,125

Re: Lakers fire Darvin Ham 

Post#81 » by Effigy » Fri May 3, 2024 7:45 pm

Has a coach ever been fired the season after winning the in-season tournament???
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,792

Post#82 » by jkvonny » Fri May 3, 2024 7:46 pm

The 50th coach that the Lakers have hired/fired since Phil Jackson retired after 2011.

Whos the next scapegoat coach that the Lakers will hire/fire?
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,868

Post#83 » by Marrrcuss » Fri May 3, 2024 7:47 pm

The sarcasm about the in-season tournament that NO laker fan celebrated is so old and corny. If we had lost in the finals, you would DEFINITELY have held it against ONLY bron, lol, just like if we had lost in the bubble, the L37ron would have been everywhere

Then you got Ham being called a scapegoat when the blame should have been on who? Who is it youre saying the blame should be on??? Man up and take a stand, lol
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,359

Post#84 » by Jedi32 » Fri May 3, 2024 7:48 pm

xchange55 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
Loneshot wrote:He had some really questionable lineups. Though the Lakers overachieved still.

Benching Reaves and DLo for 15+ games during the season is the exact moment he lost the locker room.

But when Reaves and DLO aren't playing well you'll blame them for the losses. Can't have it both ways.

If players aren't playing well, why can't they be called out?
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 30,018

Post#85 » by Dominator83 » Fri May 3, 2024 7:50 pm

Pointgod wrote:
Dominator83 wrote:Put a fork in him

I was hoping for a Ham is cooked headline or Ham Fisted Firing but sadly disappointed

Ham fisted :lol:
that's post of the year bro
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,327

Post#86 » by Ben-N1ce » Fri May 3, 2024 7:53 pm

nbanflguy wrote:
Ben-N1ce wrote:
nbanflguy wrote:Who in their right mind would willingly sign up to be Lebron's coach at this stage of his career?

There are 30 of those jobs in the world...surely plenty of people that want to be head coaches turn that opportunity down...

Surely if you are in position to be able to have the opportunity to get the Lakers job then you could get a job with one of those 29 other teams instead. Agreeing to coach the Lakers is willingly signing up to be the captain of the titanic....... after it has already hit the iceberg

there are far more coaches wanting jobs then available jobs each year...that's why they take them when they get offers. Ever single dumpster fire franchise in all sports have coaches...why would anybody want to coach those teams? They must be crazy amirite...
jkvonny
Head Coach

Post#87 » by jkvonny » Fri May 3, 2024 7:53 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:The sarcasm about the in-season tournament that NO laker fan celebrated is so old and corny. If we had lost in the finals, you would DEFINITELY have held it against ONLY bron, lol, just like if we had lost in the bubble, the L37ron would have been everywhere

Then you got Ham being called a scapegoat when the blame should have been on who? Who is it youre saying the blame should be on??? Man up and take a stand, lol

The roster. Outside of AD and LeBron , not a very good roster.
Team is old as well.
Its not all on Ham tbf.

Whos the next coach/ scapegoat to be hire/fired?
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,868

Post#88 » by Marrrcuss » Fri May 3, 2024 7:54 pm

jkvonny wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:The sarcasm about the in-season tournament that NO laker fan celebrated is so old and corny. If we had lost in the finals, you would DEFINITELY have held it against ONLY bron, lol, just like if we had lost in the bubble, the L37ron would have been everywhere

Team is old as well.
Its not all on Ham tbf.

Sooooo, the front office?
reddyplayerone
Junior
And1: 373

Post#89 » by reddyplayerone » Fri May 3, 2024 7:57 pm

I mean I will say sincerely that every time this has happened, I have hoped that the Lakers as an organization took it as an opportunity to evaluate the entire franchise from top to bottom, because this ultimately becomes a reflection on the people in the front office more than most people seem willing to reconcile with.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,312

Post#90 » by KembaWalker » Fri May 3, 2024 7:57 pm

Dominator83 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Dominator83 wrote:Put a fork in him

I was hoping for a Ham is cooked headline or Ham Fisted Firing but sadly disappointed

I’ve been told canned Ham can be excessively salty. I guess we’ll hear soon enough
jkvonny
Head Coach

Post#91 » by jkvonny » Fri May 3, 2024 7:57 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:
jkvonny wrote:

Team is old as well.
Its not all on Ham tbf.

Sooooo, the front office?

Jeannie is doing an excellent job. Good lookin too.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,716

Post#92 » by EmpireFalls » Fri May 3, 2024 7:57 pm

nbanflguy wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:
nbanflguy wrote:
" I am such a tough competitor. Pay me to sit on the sideline in a suit and be Lebron's b**ch. Be head coach in name only.' You arent coaching two all nba players. You are there to be a dancing monkey. They will let you pretend and put the Wins and Losses on your stat sheet just to be nice. Lebron runs the show. Lebron runs the front office. You get 0% credit for any success and 100% fault for any time you dont win the championship. Step out of line and you "lose the locker room". Lebron starts to get media heat and you are fired

lol what a joke take. You want to know what real NBA hell is? Try coaching the Hornets or one of the tanking teams. You get young players foisted upon you, draft picks acquired in exchange for your foundational players, you have guys who don’t care by December, you know you have no chance to make the playoffs let alone compete for a title.

On the Lakers you could realistically win playoff games and test your skills at the highest level. Ham even won a trophy (well, the IST, but still) and got to go toe to toe with Kerr and Malone in playoff series. Isn’t the entire point of coaching to go win? What are we doing here. That’s a far far far more appealing job than coaching the Blazers or Pistons or Hornets or whoever.

You clearly are beyond deluded and out of touch and consumed with LeBron derangement syndrome.

You sound like a dude who will get the new NCAA Football 25 video game and start a dynasty with Ohio State or Georgia. Testing your skills at the highest level would be coaching the hornets or one of those tanking teams. Actually trying to teach and develop young players. Getting these players to buy in. To play hard even when losing. Building a culture. Building a family. Trying to find diamond in the roughs who you can afford or who will actually agree to play for you. Turning that group from "hell" to a team that can compete. Thats coaching.......

Or you could be a real competitor and go stand on the sidelines with great court side seats and behind the scenes access as you watch sweet play in wins and early playoff exits for a couple years on a team that would be there weather you even existed or not.

No I’m just an actual fan of a bad team in the Hornets who is beyond fed up with arrogance of people saying “I wouldn’t want to coach LeBron” or “I wouldn’t want that All-Star on MY team” it’s so entitled and out of touch with reality.

You know what sucks? Really sucks? It’s not losing in the playoffs in a tough series with the defending champs. It’s losing 60 games. That really sucks.

It’s also funny you expect that job security other places will be any better. Aside from Kerr, Spo and Pop, very very few teams keep coaches more than 3-4 years these days. We just fired Clifford twice. You aren’t really gonna get a longer leash there than on LA.

I’m so tired of fans saying they wouldn’t want great players who give them a chance to win. As someone who’s sat through decades of pain and mediocrity I would take one drama filled year of a superstar who made us a real contender over 10 pitiful mediocre years of crap Hornets basketball done the “right way”. And anyone in their right mind would too. Except you I guess.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,716

Post#93 » by EmpireFalls » Fri May 3, 2024 7:59 pm

Ben-N1ce wrote:
nbanflguy wrote:
Ben-N1ce wrote:There are 30 of those jobs in the world...surely plenty of people that want to be head coaches turn that opportunity down...

Surely if you are in position to be able to have the opportunity to get the Lakers job then you could get a job with one of those 29 other teams instead. Agreeing to coach the Lakers is willingly signing up to be the captain of the titanic....... after it has already hit the iceberg

there are far more coaches wanting jobs then available jobs each year...that's why they take them when they get offers. Ever single dumpster fire franchise in all sports have coaches...why would anybody want to coach those teams? They must be crazy amirite...

Exactly. Being an NBA coach is a huge privilege. Being able to coach an actual playoff team is an even bigger one. That guy is completely off his rocker.
FreeBird23
Junior
And1: 1,056

Post#94 » by FreeBird23 » Fri May 3, 2024 8:00 pm

Pelinka should be fired too
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,863

Post#95 » by Pointgod » Fri May 3, 2024 8:06 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
Dominator83 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

I’ve been told canned Ham can be excessively salty. I guess we’ll hear soon enough

Damn that’s a good one. The headlines are so trash. What happened to the game I used to love?
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,545

Post#96 » by PistolPeteJR » Fri May 3, 2024 8:11 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:Stupid firing... he wasn't the reason why the Lakers didn't do better. Lakers exceeded expectations last year by going to the conference finals and could have done the same thing if they didn't match up with Denver in the 1st round this year. Your best player is 39, you have 0 perimeter defense, Dlo should never be a teams 3rd option, etc.

You clearly didn't watch much of him then in 2 years. Good gameplanning, terrible with personnel and in-game adjustments.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#97 » by Tor_Raps » Fri May 3, 2024 8:20 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Stupid firing... he wasn't the reason why the Lakers didn't do better. Lakers exceeded expectations last year by going to the conference finals and could have done the same thing if they didn't match up with Denver in the 1st round this year. Your best player is 39, you have 0 perimeter defense, Dlo should never be a teams 3rd option, etc.

You clearly didn't watch much of him then in 2 years. Good gameplanning, terrible with personnel and in-game adjustments.

Every friggin fan cries about the same crap when their team doesn't win. Bottom line is that the Lakers weren't built in a way where you can say they are better than the Nuggets.

They just lost to a better team in both years while fighting their asses off. They didn't quit and no one outside the LA market thought they'd win. Go look at Pelinka who didn't do crap at the trade deadline to address their weaknesses...
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,545

Post#98 » by PistolPeteJR » Fri May 3, 2024 8:21 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:

Every friggin fan cries about the same crap when their team doesn't win. Bottom line is that the Lakers weren't built in a way where you can say they are better than the Nuggets.

They just lost to a better team in both years while fighting their asses off. They didn't quit and no one outside the LA market thought they'd win. Go look at Pelinka who didn't do crap at the trade deadline to address their weaknesses...

Okay let me spell it out differently for you.

NO ONE SAID THE COACH WAS THE ONLY PROBLEM, BUT HE WAS 1000% A SIGNIFICANT PROBLEM.

Didn't know how else to say it :D
Dubnation
Analyst
And1: 3,431

Post#99 » by Dubnation » Fri May 3, 2024 8:22 pm

Read on Twitter

Don't to it Kenny. I'm tired of our coaches getting poached year after year.
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,182

Post#100 » by heatwillbeback » Fri May 3, 2024 8:23 pm

Expected.

Though I do consider the reports saying Lue is a candidate, when he has a freakin game tonight, is entirely disrespectful. But that’s media.

Return to The General Board